Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz. Croft Pink Port
3/4 oz Siete Leguas afijo tequila
3/4 oz. grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 oz. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 oz. tarragon simple syrup
Garnish grapefruit half-wheel

Steps
Add the pink port, añejo tequila, grapefruit juice, lemon juice and tarragon simple syrup into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
Double-strain into a double Old Fashioned glass over fresh ice.
Garnish with half of a grapefruit wheel.
*Tarragon simple syrup: Combine 1 cup white sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and add 1/4 cup fresh tarragon sprigs. Steep for 15 minutes or until desired flavor is achieved, then strain out solids.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 6.11.20 AM.png

Thank goodness for a lounge chair to drink a lounge chair in the PM!

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

Sweet potato hash would have been welcome this morning, but Door Dash never showed up. I would have wanted the vegan one, because I dislike eggs that aren't fully cooked. I would skip the cocktail. For an off-dry Riesling, Three Brothers First Degree of Riesling. They also bottle Second Degree and Third Degree, which are progressively sweeter.

I have been to Norway but not to Bergen. Johanneskirken would be St. John Church, not St. James.

My plan to do the Webex conference from a comfortable chair with my iPad failed. Webex would only let me sign in as the host, which I was not, and I had to switch to my desktop computer. That, followed by three hours of class on Zoom, left me in enough pain to interfere with sleep.

I think we just had a slight earthquake.

There was a bit of s-n-o-w on the street when I woke this morning. It had stopped but the forecast is for rain after 1:00. I want to get to Aldi before that, and then I need to work on the presentation that I'm scheduled to give on Thursday. The topic is ethical issues in New York electrification.

greener.thumb.jpg.9f5dcfa0daf96040cbf5364f1e62e26b.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Earthquake update — we did not feel it in SE PA but neighbors and our son did.  Family in NJ and Brooklyn felt it as did their pets.  It has been an interesting spring!! Katherine 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Melanie, I checked and we were there on Sept. 7, 2015 on Caribbean Princess.  Did you have nice weather?

We had a lovely day in Bergen.  I had pre-booked tickets for the funicular, so we could skip the line for tickets.  We rode the funicular up and hiked down.  It was wonderful.  We walked around the town, bought some caviar for mom and hubby bought a nice sweater for himself.  I think we found a pub for a light lunch.  I'd like to go back.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

@StLouisCruisers I hope DGS Austin is okay and they can figure out what he is allergic to.

@kazu You've had worse winter than we've had (but it's not a competition I want to win).  It's April and I don't like wearing a winter coat, boots and a toque when I walk the dog.  Winter just won't quit, I wonder if we'll ever get spring.

• Like 19

Just checking in with Northeast people. 4.7 earthquake centered in NJ. I did not feel it here but many friends around the Philadelphia area did. Hope everyone is safe. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors!

Shoutout to HAL for excellent embark/disbark on last weeks N Statendam cruise. Don’t tell anyone but once we got off the Celebrity Reflection at 9:20 am, we walked to the HAL terminal and were able to checkin our bags and selves and at boarding area at 9:40 am. Boarded at 11 Am. As far as disembarkation we were with 4/5 star mariners which was Pink1/2 bag tags. We had decided to be last off so we stayed in cabin. But at 7:20 AM, that’s right 7:20 AM our Pink bag tags were called. We decided to go ahead and get off ship. No one was disembarking and very few passengers in terminal. Bottomline is that we left the cabin at 7:25 am and were leaving port by 7:50 am after getting car out of main garage and pick up bags at wife at terminal. I guess everyone was surprised that color bag tag disemabarkation started so early that no one was ready to leave!

Oh, I forgot. I guess I must be last to know but HAL does not have specific boarding times any longer; at least no assigned boarding times on this cruise.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

USGS: magnitude 4.7 at 10:23 a.m. EST, 7 km NNE of Whitehouse Station, New Jersey.

Yes.  Epicenter less than 10 miles from me.  Initial “boom “ was unnerving, followed by about 20 seconds of house rattling 

County sent out “yes that was an earthquake, please stop calling 911” message 

thankfully everything seems to be fine . 
we were just in Bergen in February (have been there before as well). One day was warm (by winter standards) and many restaurants and bars opened up their outdoor dining (yes in Feb).  They were also having the annual seafood festival   This year the fishing industry is trying to promote bycatch as a sustainable food .  Also, the fogbow was interesting  image.thumb.jpeg.d63a2f1be18139eeeb408ddb77765a0d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6204a08340f92931b80b41f19b59116d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.65d54320c96e7d9627a31bc10c380abf.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

I was walking the dogs and mine was acting funny. Then the shaking began. I have only felt one other earthquake but recognized the odd sensation. Tana said the house was vibrating . Hopefully there is no damage but we got an emergency alert to expect aftershocks.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Debbie @dfish when you mentioned the pool I wondered if you might have gotten the stye from the pool.  I read before that is possible.  Good idea to stay out of it while healing from it.  

I wondered the same thing, Sandi.  The stye is draining and getting in the pool with that is kind of like getting in with an open sore.  I'll wait until it is healed to go back.  I can do the weight machines safely, so I still get my exercise.  

I was in Bergen in 2017.  That cruise I was solo and was celebrating my recovery from a broken hip.  It was kind of a wet, rainy day, so I didn't take many pictures.  I went back with Sue and Donna and my nephew Matt and his partner, Laura, in 2022.  We had a delightfully sunny day.  I had pre-purchased tickets for the funicular so we skipped the line and went straight up.  There is a lot more up there than just an overlook and restaurant.  Donna was content looking at the souvenir stands and Sue and I took a hike into a lake.  

Bergenhike.thumb.jpg.4d04fcec6842727a95d7a1883de6029a.jpg

Bergenhike2.thumb.jpg.c51ebeb94962c74bb652ed01b4d19cf5.jpg

Bergenhike3.thumb.jpg.4b4e4860c4a7e2ee8ab07568ae6161fe.jpg

We also had some visitors trying to hitch a ride with us as we sailed away.

bergen5.thumb.jpg.81262873985405fe7dbcf692f8caf44d.jpg

bergen4.thumb.jpg.c4ae40c829377f97d04cd7dd9115a261.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Sunrise, 4/5/24, looking north and east at the Catalina Mountains and Redington Pass, from west Tucson.  75 degrees & a bit of wind later today. 
image000000.thumb.jpeg.50826b4d48015cdb4d1db9da17163542.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning everyone!  Gloomy and cool here in SW Michigan.  Thanks for the Daily Reports and the maps @kazu and @rafinmd.   Gold Star is an important recognition, thanks for sharing the information on Gold Star @grapau27.   My two garden clubs take care of two Blue Star Gardens and the single Gold Star that is in Kalamazoo that is at our Air Zoo.   A good quote by Adams, I procrastinate but I almost always meet my deadlines, now that I am retired it is much easier.   I will pass on the casserole and the cocktail but the Riesling looks wonderful.  We visited the Moselle many years ago and it was a beautiful area.  

@JazzyV thanks for the Cares and Celebrations list.   @dfish Debbie I am happy to read your eye inflammation is getting better.   @Cruzin Terri I am sorry you had a GI issue, I hope you are feeling better, thanks for checking in.   @StLouisCruisers that was a scary event for Austin.   I am a label reader and I see the caution that tree nuts or peanuts may have contaminated the area the food is processed.  @rafinmd I hope your echocardiogram gives good results today.   Prayers for everyone on our care list, especially Tana and Terrie.   Prayers for those in war zones, the people of Ukraine and the innocents in Gaza.  

Sandi and Lenda thanks for sharing your lovely photos of Norway.   Lenda those profuse yellow flowers in one of your photos are a real problem in the US.  People plant then along their streams for their beauty but a small piece or seed can come loose and germinate and choke out our native flora.  

I am stuck at home today.  I am supposed to get my final wine shipment but the one that we stayed home all day on Wednesday is missing.  I heard from the winery that my package was not delivered but not a peep from UPS.  I wonder if someone else is enjoying a case of fine red wine.  Today will be house cleaning.  My younger sister used to clean for me but her arthritis has gotten so bad she said she had to quit.  I am trying to stay on top of it.   But the sun just peeked out and our windows are sparkly.  Have a lovely Friday!  Nancy 

Nancy, Austin has never had a reaction to anything before but he probably never ate a walnut or perhaps even a pecan before.  He is definitely going to be tested for allergies to tree nuts once he sees his PCP.  We've had pecan pies at Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners with them and he prefers other types of pies.  

I hope your case of red wine shows up soon!

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Sweet potato hash would have been welcome this morning, but Door Dash never showed up. I would have wanted the vegan one, because I dislike eggs that aren't fully cooked. I would skip the cocktail. For an off-dry Riesling, Three Brothers First Degree of Riesling. They also bottle Second Degree and Third Degree, which are progressively sweeter.

I have been to Norway but not to Bergen. Johanneskirken would be St. John Church, not St. James.

My plan to do the Webex conference from a comfortable chair with my iPad failed. Webex would only let me sign in as the host, which I was not, and I had to switch to my desktop computer. That, followed by three hours of class on Zoom, left me in enough pain to interfere with sleep.

I think we just had a slight earthquake.

There was a bit of s-n-o-w on the street when I woke this morning. It had stopped but the forecast is for rain after 1:00. I want to get to Aldi before that, and then I need to work on the presentation that I'm scheduled to give on Thursday. The topic is ethical issues in New York electrification.

greener.thumb.jpg.9f5dcfa0daf96040cbf5364f1e62e26b.jpg

You are absolutely correct, the church name should have read St. John not James.  Too bad I can't edit it now.  I'll probably forget the next time Bergen comes up on our list, too.  Sorry for the error.  We went to the grocery this morning and as soon as I turned on the TV they started talking about the earthquake.  I'm glad everybody seems to be okay.

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

We had a lovely day in Bergen.  I had pre-booked tickets for the funicular, so we could skip the line for tickets.  We rode the funicular up and hiked down.  It was wonderful.  We walked around the town, bought some caviar for mom and hubby bought a nice sweater for himself.  I think we found a pub for a light lunch.  I'd like to go back.

It's definitely an interesting place to visit.  We've done a lot of walking up in the hills and walking back down from the funicular is a good way to get exercise without wearing you out.

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

@StLouisCruisers I hope DGS Austin is okay and they can figure out what he is allergic to.

@kazu You've had worse winter than we've had (but it's not a competition I want to win).  It's April and I don't like wearing a winter coat, boots and a toque when I walk the dog.  Winter just won't quit, I wonder if we'll ever get spring.

Thanks Melanie, I think the tests will come up with something he's allergic to.  Austin eats like his Dad, very healthy and he's not prone to trying new things.  Therefore he'd probably never had a walnut or pecan before.  

1 hour ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Yes.  Epicenter less than 10 miles from me.  Initial “boom “ was unnerving, followed by about 20 seconds of house rattling 

County sent out “yes that was an earthquake, please stop calling 911” message 

thankfully everything seems to be fine . 
we were just in Bergen in February (have been there before as well). One day was warm (by winter standards) and many restaurants and bars opened up their outdoor dining (yes in Feb).  They were also having the annual seafood festival   This year the fishing industry is trying to promote bycatch as a sustainable food .  Also, the fogbow was interesting  image.thumb.jpeg.d63a2f1be18139eeeb408ddb77765a0d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6204a08340f92931b80b41f19b59116d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.65d54320c96e7d9627a31bc10c380abf.jpeg

Love the fogbow!!  Your photos are very nice.  It was a good idea to send out the texts not to call 911.  They must have been quite overloaded with calls and needed to keep the lines available for true emergencies.

59 minutes ago, dfish said:

I wondered the same thing, Sandi.  The stye is draining and getting in the pool with that is kind of like getting in with an open sore.  I'll wait until it is healed to go back.  I can do the weight machines safely, so I still get my exercise.  

I was in Bergen in 2017.  That cruise I was solo and was celebrating my recovery from a broken hip.  It was kind of a wet, rainy day, so I didn't take many pictures.  I went back with Sue and Donna and my nephew Matt and his partner, Laura, in 2022.  We had a delightfully sunny day.  I had pre-purchased tickets for the funicular so we skipped the line and went straight up.  There is a lot more up there than just an overlook and restaurant.  Donna was content looking at the souvenir stands and Sue and I took a hike into a lake.  

Bergenhike.thumb.jpg.4d04fcec6842727a95d7a1883de6029a.jpg

Bergenhike2.thumb.jpg.c51ebeb94962c74bb652ed01b4d19cf5.jpg

Bergenhike3.thumb.jpg.4b4e4860c4a7e2ee8ab07568ae6161fe.jpg

We also had some visitors trying to hitch a ride with us as we sailed away.

bergen5.thumb.jpg.81262873985405fe7dbcf692f8caf44d.jpg

bergen4.thumb.jpg.c4ae40c829377f97d04cd7dd9115a261.jpg

That was a cool lake you found on your walk in Bergen.  It's an absolutely stunning city to visit.  I hope the draining of your stye is complete soon.  It wouldn't be a good idea for anyone to get into a pool with that type of infection.  Someone likely did and you pay the price.  

12 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

Sunrise, 4/5/24, looking north and east at the Catalina Mountains and Redington Pass, from west Tucson.  75 degrees & a bit of wind later today. 
image000000.thumb.jpeg.50826b4d48015cdb4d1db9da17163542.jpeg

Beautiful photo! 

• Like 17

A little s-n-o-w was falling when I left Aldi, but the temperature was 42­° and it had stopped falling before I got home, a 7-minute drive. Then a few minutes of sun before the sky clouded over again.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the FR/Daily @kazu @richwmn and maps @rafinmd.

I will certainly salute Gold Star Spouses for their sacrifices to our country. No going for broke here. The world would be a better place if more inhabitants had a conscience. Fun quote. Maybe on the meal. Pass on the drink and wine. I haven't been to Bergen.

It's a cool, windy day, with snow squalls. And it's opening day for the baseball team. People will need to dress like for a football game, as wind chills are in the 20's. The rivers are finally dropping their very high levels, and some highways have opened back up. Sleep was about the same for me, 3.5 hours. I had PT, then straight back home for a mid-day coffee and bagel. The person came yesterday to clean, although I think I need to wipe one wall down again. I'd like to start putting some things back in place, as able. Monday, BFF and I are traveling to Erie, to visit a friend and watch the eclipse from their yard. I hope it's not too cloudy. In 2017 we drove to Tennessee, and although it was partly cloudy we had a good view.

@lobsternight Bon Voyage!

@NextOne Happy Birthday!

@GTVCRUISER Welcome Home!

@StLouisCruisers Lovely photos from Bergen. How scary for Austin! It was always surprising to me that you could have eaten or been exposed to something with no issues, then one day you're allergic. He definitely needs to get tested. I'm glad he's ok.

@rafinmd I hope the echocardiogram shows nothing further of concern.

@Cruzin Terri I'm sorry to hear you were ill, but glad you're back now. And good you got your cleaning person back. It's for the best, but of course Jim won't like being told he shouldn't drive.

@dfish I'm glad the eye is better. I hope your weather Monday is at least partly sunny. 

@kazu Oh my on your weather! I hope you're feeling better. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos. Thanks. 

@smitty34877 I'm sorry to hear the aide cancelled last night and hope she is able to work tonight. Being up twice is still hard, but I'm glad it wasn't more. Prayers for Tana, her son, you and the whole family.

@Seasick Sailor Thanks for the photos of the bluebonnets. 

@ger_77 You have warmer temps than here! 

@kochleffel Sorry you had some trouble sleeping. I guess you felt the earthquake that was centered in NJ. 

@marshhawk Tigger is handsome. 

@bennybear @AroundWithMAPTravels @dfish  Thanks for the Bergen photos.

@Norseh2o Lovely sunrise!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4