The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday April 30th, 2024

Today is Animal Advocacy Day, Beltane, and Bugs Bunny Day

Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale. - Hans Christian Andersen

Meal Suggestion for today - Cauliflower Chicken Fried "
Drink of the Day - Paloma
Wine of the Day - Thistledown 2021 Thorny Devil Old Vine Grenache (McLaren Vale)
Destination of the Day - Kahului, Maui Island, Hawaii

Today in History:
1952 Mr. Potato Head is 1st toy advertised on television

Ship Locations

Eurodam

San Francisco, California 07:00 - 23:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Statendam

Gibraltar, UK 07:00 - 15:00

Noordam

Vancouver, BC Canada 7:00-15:00

Oosterdam

Piraeus-Athens, Greece 7:00-16:00

Rotterdam

Stavanger, Norway 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Madeleine-Magdalen Islands, Cap-aux Meules, Quebec Canada 07:00 - 17:00

Zaandam

Seattle, Washington 0700-1800

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Banjul, Gambia eta 5/1

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Kodiak Island, Alaska eta 05-06

• Like 13
  • Thanks 26

Posted (edited)

Good morning and many thanks Sandi for the early posting of today's daily reports.

It is sunny and 52°F here at 09.45am in North East England.

3 good days.

Excellent quote.

When we sailed into Maui on Grand Princess on 26th November 2019 we tendered at Lahaina.

I hope everyone on the care list is feeling better.

Best wishes for a happy day for all dailyites.

Screenshot_20240430_093941.jpg

Screenshot_20240430_093918.jpg

Screenshot_20240430_093856.jpg

Screenshot_20240430_095749.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 23

Good morning friends!  It's 63F this morning and we shall see a high of about 76 with cloudy skies and a chance of thunderstorms during the day.  It's fine because we need to stay home and get ready for graduation weekend. 🎓 Yesterday we early voted for state and local races since election day is May 21 and we won't be available then.

Thanks Roy @rafinmd for today's fleet location maps and thanks also to Rich @richwmn for putting together the content of the Fleet Report and Daily for us all.  Today we can recognize Animal Advocacy Day which most of us can agree on.  I'll let Graham @grapau27 tell us about Beltane and I'm sure we all know who Bugs Bunny is though I'm not sure why he needs a day of recognition!   An okay quote.  It looks like the meal suggestion is missing something but hopefully Tina @0106 has figured something out.  Not sure about the drink and wine of the day either.  I wonder what everyone thought when they advertised Mr. Potato Head on TV?  Thanks to our F&B department today Tina @0106, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard.

Prayers for all in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, our military members in the region, DB, great nephew Alex's twin boys, and the U.S. Marshals shot in N.C. yesterday and especially to the families of those killed.  🙏  And for our Daily friends, Chuck @catmando and Annie @marshhawk, and Maureen's @RMLincoln's DH Richard who both had difficult doctor visits yesterday.  I hope their doctors can find a way to help improve their situations.  Prayers for all on our Care list who have pain, need surgical or other medical procedures, or are recovering from one, and anyone else who is in need of them.  These are tough times for a lot of people. I also send my thoughts and prayers out to all suffering from tornadoes and loss due to them. 🙏

Congrats to those with special event celebrations today and all who are cruising. 🚢🎉🎂 I hope everyone is having a great time!  Thanks go to Vanessa @JazzyV for continuing with the list keeping for us.  We appreciate you!

The port today is Kahului, Maui, Hawaii.  This is the second time for it here, and it became an alternate port when Lahaina had the horrific fire.  Since I consider Lahaina a different port on the island of Maui I will only post Sept. 19, 2023 when Kahului was first reported here.  Here's the link to what I'm sure is a wonderful port of call.

I haven't been to Kahului yet but see it's on my 2026 Princess booking on this date, April 30, 2026!  "Only" two years to wait!

Have a great day everybody!  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Today’s Care List:

RMLincoln’s DSIL’s funeral today

RMLincoln’s DH Richard’s local eye check

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with HTN, stroke, moved out of ICU

Smitty34877 with injured left shoulder

Sharon in AZ’s DM weak, but improving

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim’s loss of a childhood friend

Nebraska, Iowa and Oklahoma tornados with 5 dead, 100’s injured

3 US Marshalls and 1 CMPD officer shot and killed in NC

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Catmando with cancer recurrence, on immunotherapy, pain & jaw bone issues due to prior radiation

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery

Ger_77’s DH Maurice needing heart valve replacement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Lobsternight’s 31st Anniversary!

Passover ending at sunset

RMLincoln’s DH’s eye surgery went well

JazzyV with pain relief after surgery

StLouisCruisers stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich/Kazu are cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for YourWorldWithBill (Nieuw Statendam May 5 to May 18) 13d Jewels of the Baltic

5 days for Heartgrove (MSC Seashore May 5 to May 12) 7d Caribbean & Bahamas

ORTravelGal (Rotterdam to May 4) 21d Atlantic Isles, Norway, Scotland, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, The Atlantic Coast), Kazu (Volendam to May 4) 13d The Atlantic Coast, Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, VMax1700 (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 14d Canary Island Allure, Overhead Fred (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), AncientWanderer (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 29

Good Day To You All. It’s just another sea day here. Currently headed South about 250 NM above the equator and a good distance off the Somalia Coast.

Back in the Indian Ocean we are moving along at around 16.2 knots on a relatively smooth Indian Ocean.

Weather has not been great for pool and outside activities with cloud cover and occasional showers. Which leads to debate whether tonight’s Dinner Under The Stars will become Dinner Under The Ceiling?

The Other Guys quartet are back performing tonight with the theme Legends. Elvis, Bee Gees, Chuck Berry and likes.

In browsing through the Daily several of you or spouses/friends are having some medical issues and are in our thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for the reports and post. Bruce

• Like 33

Paloma cocktail:

Kosher salt
1 grapefruit wedge
¼ cup fresh grapefruit juice
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ cup mescal or tequila
¼ cup club soda
Preparation
Pour some kosher salt on a plate. Rub half of rim of a highball glass with grapefruit wedge; dip rim of glass in salt. Combine grapefruit juice, lime juice, and sugar in glass; stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in mescal, add ice, and top off with club soda. Garnish with grapefruit wedge.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 5.59.04 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 18

Good early morning. New day!  Breathing in hope. Breathing out gratitude. Finished the morning regime. Pressure somewhat lower, very good!  Onward. 
Thank you all! 
Blessing all!  Maureen 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

69 this AM with a high of 86 and lots of sunshine.

Never heard of Beltane Day but who hasn’t heard of Bugs Bunny, one of the most iconic cartoon characters ever, Whats up doc. When I was a kid and went to a Saturday matinee with 25 Cartoons, Bugs always got the loudest cheers.

Good quote.

Pass on the meal.

Going to grab some sunshine today at the beach.

My Lightning were eliminated in their first round playoff with the guys from the other side of the state, oh well, now I can concentrate on the baseball season.

Have a great day and stay well.

IMG_0028.thumb.jpeg.b5e92ba70fb07d35634cf5699dde56b5.jpeg

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 29

DD made a last minute decision to decorate her foyer tree for her darling daughter Morgan's college graduation.  That child did not have a high school graduation due to Covid restrictions in 2020 so she deserves some recognition!  I absolutely love it!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

• Like 36
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone.  I woke up to thunder and rain this morning.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  Three worthy days to recognize, I’m going to have Bugs  Bunny in my head all day, maybe it will remind me to say rabbit rabbit tomorrow.  I like the quote, I hope that it’s true for you too.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion but the drink sounds good.  Praying for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events today!  Happy anniversary @lobsternight🥂

• Like 28

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report. 

Can't believe it's the end of April already.  Where does the time go?  Cloudy with a chance of rain this morning.

Three good days to celebrate.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal but the drink sounds fine, I hope the wine is too.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of celebrations, no matter how small.

Have a good Tuesday.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Cauliflower rice can be homemade, found in the fresh produce section or in the frozen food aisle.  Cauliflower rice has a buttery and slightly sweet flavor to it, and a very pleasant texture. I think the key to enjoying substitutions like this is to accept it for what it is. For example, when I make spaghetti squash, I don’t pretend I’m eating pasta. I just think I’m eating a really uniquely textured squash and enjoy it.

Cauliflower Chicken Fried Rice  This easy, healthy cauliflower chicken fried rice is made in one pan in under 30 minutes. It uses classic peas and carrots but if you’re low carb, it’s easy to swap for bell peppers.

74_UR3r3wBYICM1uIpT8lBPfaoaNpxe1lEFM-mNpoGu38z2oI4DkuuOgYVGpqTqPZFVmfqzVWW15m3O6H2Np5jljcn0kgwkBz-M0cKtTvj73saYBINqgUUq373Mxi2jk8Ne8hWmIkbOmtHJSY6BfZL8

Paleo Cauliflower Fried Rice  This recipe caught my attention because it uses bacon. Doesn’t bacon make everything taste better?  (Of course, you could substitute a different fat for sauteing.) It also includes directions to make homemade cauliflower fried rice. It contains all the ingredients of a classic fried rice recipe: beaten eggs, chopped scallions, carrots, garlic, ginger, chopped chicken, soy sauce, and a little chile paste.

4N7Bf_KCFjqwDoa1SLazhrBhxJl8oMkKnE-mcCh-h628koVNKaEtZ5iv5lU0X3zREu9D7J-_s9AGeI3zfDMr1WUrpDy2E1KXuGGM7IZJCnD7kZxGO2vZvYy_29Qk0selE5ydqtMrd65u1sra3eAQG-o

Healthy Orange Chicken with Sesame Cauliflower Fried Rice  My DH loves orange chicken.  I think the sauce made with orange juice & zest, honey, Soy sauce and rice wine vinegar would add some delicious flavor to the cauliflower fried rice.

vyrKzDwUUmLJs7sEQu3bELGw4WDBlg7zKiSOgS2z8zIjstTuS906WPv_RP7GzZ5IbBI3kfMJiGZHj2Uos0AuD3ymUgFqybaJqLTZVUir80CJReRAvQC-VloVVul446ot3QJNXcMGhjig0bKKyUYZREE

• Like 14
  • Thanks 21

Happy Tuesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Sunny and 80 today. Perhaps some rain. Very humid as well. 

Busy with meetings and clients all day. 

Happy anniversary to @lobsternight

Image result for anniversay cat memes

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Image result for Tuesday cat memes

• Like 25
  • Haha 3

Good morning!!  Happy TODAY!!!

Thank you for all the reports!!  

I'm headed to the Austin Zoo today -- which is like a Wildlife Rescue more than a Zoo...  but it's all we have in town!  I'll pack a picnic lunch and visit with the animals!!  

I've never heard of Beltane!  TY @grapau27  I learn something every day!!!

Cauliflower Chicken Fried...  As a fried rice I can picture this and think it would be yummy!!  As dipped and batter buds or florets or slices -- I wonder????

Thank you @summer slope.  Knowing this has grapefruit is helpful -- I'm not supposed to have grapefruit!

And... @StLouisCruisers -- Mr. Potato Head was the first toy advertised...  WOW!!  Never knew that!!

I truly do learn lots of weird info...  I mean helpful and truly meaningful information here!!!  🤭🙃

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Sandi!  Roy thank you for our maps & recorded history!  Another beauty of a day. Even the birds sound happier. It was a bit windy yesterday, but I like it better than the humidity that is coming. Can you believe that tomorrow is May 1st?

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. I am so thrilled not to see your name on the Cares list. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores and boy do I need to get out & trim back my Jasmine. It is thriving. A bit too much. 

IMG_2791.jpeg.27c29023703c3cf9cd808470ee1fde1d.jpeg

IMG_2793.jpeg.ed73a0bd639bf62fe82923b62a1d4946.jpeg

IMG_2789.jpeg.af8d61337ee65d6b75f8a53b81234d4a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers.

Terry, praying that you & Tana do well today. Take care of yourself. 

@ger_77 Gerry, hope you got good results from yesterday’s call & Maurice has moved up in priority. 

@marshhawk  keeping you & Chuck in my prayers, Annie. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Thistledown 2021 Thorny Devil Old Vine Grenache (McLaren Vale)

The name of this wine just screams Australia to me! It is a name that can stand up to a critic saying it has a nose that has a nuance of “hung deli meat”! Really? Who goes around sniffing hung deli meat? Easy to find with a reasonable price. Online prices start at $16.99.

Winemaker Notes

In 2021, the fruit for Thorny Devil came from a variety of some of the finest vineyards in McLaren Vale. Old bush trained vines and sandy, mineral strewn vineyards ensure that this is amongst our most delicious Grenaches. The resulting wine has the characteristic McLaren Vale perfume and spice with a beguiling texture and perfume that unfolds, layer by layer.

Blend: 100% Grenache

Professional Ratings

• 95Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
    Aromas of savory spice, hung deli meat and blood fill the senses, but it is in the mouth where the purity and succulence of the fruit is revealed. This 2021 Thorny Devil Grenache is long and savory, sweet and fine, built into a framework of pliable tannin and exotic spice. Balanced and exciting.
  • 94Australian Wine Companion
    While this doesn’t quite have the thrust of its more expensive siblings, the shimmy of florals and red-fruited fragrances, juxtaposed against a veil of diaphanous tannins, sandy and detailed, is impressive. Crunchy and tensile – although a little looser around the seams, for imminent pleasure – and thoroughly impressive.
  • 94Wine Enthusiast

Elegance and ease are the name of the game on this silky, mid-weight Grenache. Succulent cherry and blueberry (as well as vanilla, florals and a gentle spice) make for a nose you could dive into. There’s lovely freshness to the slinky palate. It’s tugged gently by savory, sandtextured tannins. A sexy wine right now, this could gain savory complexity over the next few years. The best part? It’s stellar bang for buck.

• 93James Suckling

Dense aromas of baked red cherry, strawberry, black tea and rosemary. Full-bodied with succulent red fruit and spice. The silky tannins are well structured and guide the palate through an even-keeled finish. White pepper spice. Nicely composed. Vegan. Drink or hold.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 17
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you Sandi, thank you Roy, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

We have been to Kahului by bus when the Eurodam called on Lahaina in 2018. The problem was it was Thanksgiving Day and everything was closed. The only store open in the Queen Ka'ahumanu Center mall was the Starbucks! At least it was a picturesque bus ride.

I need to call our MSC Concierge today. Even though Sue and I have done our check in, I cannot print our documents with baggage tags. We have the Boarding Pass on our phones so we won't be left behind! I'm sure just a slight snag.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1