The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday May 24th, 2024

Good sunny morning, it’s supposed to be less humid today but still hot ..

Shirl is going with her son today for the trial visit . She agreed to a 2 month trial 🙏🤞

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Happy Memorial Day weekend! Today is the unofficial start of summer in Ocean City, MD.  The traffic is already heavy on the Bay Bridge and will become a nightmare as the day progresses because it coincides with the Naval Academy graduation.

IMG_0530.webp.624a4ce8deb5d9a5ad504106a9ab2584.webpMorse Code Day made me think of the Semaphore flag system used by the life guards to communicate.  This system was used by ships to communicate prior to Morse code.

I hope everyone has the best possible weekend.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone!

@Heartgrove  I hope you have a wonderful special day!

Birthdaymen.jpg.9771a29457a3313c0fc719aedf6ef570.jpg

We have another sunshiny day in store here in mid-Michigan.  Sue will go north to pick up Miss River this afternoon and then we will have Farkle Friday with DB Bill and DSIL Lauren.  Burgers on the grill!  We might throw some green beans on as well.  We have to have some vegetables.

Today's meal would go well with our burgers, but we're going to pass.  We do allot ourselves one Lindor Truffle each evening as a treat.  My favorite part of German Chocolate Cake was the pecan and coconut topping.  But at 77 g of carbs per slice, I have to decline.   https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/german-chocolate-cake/

germanchocolatecake1.thumb.jpg.3bb84f007accde62d951c73cbe2cb7be.jpg

Sally's upgraded German chocolate cake uses a dark chocolate instead of German sweet chocolate.  But it still has that wonderful pecan/coconut filling.  https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/german-chocolate-cake/

germanchocolatecake2.thumb.jpg.6ff1eaa06f126ae3ffaa329312f03f8f.jpg

Food and Wine shines a light on the origin of German Chocolate Cake, which isn't German at all!   Despite its moniker, this cake is not of German origin. The dessert gets its name from the creator of the chocolate that was originally used in the cake, Samuel German, who worked for Baker’s Chocolate Company. He created a sweeter variety of dark chocolate that is marketed under the name Baker’s German’s Sweet Chocolate. 

A century after the creation of the chocolate, two things happened — General Mills purchased Baker’s Chocolate Company and a Texas homemaker, Ms. George Clay, had her recipe for German’s Chocolate Cake published in the Dallas Morning Star. General Mills took notice and distributed the recipe throughout the United States under the name German Chocolate Cake.  https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/german-chocolate-cake-ali-larter

germanchocolatecake3.thumb.jpg.d3c6c070bebcf0ee644675237b6ccdd6.jpg

I hope this finds all of you well.  @StLouisCruisers Sandi, don't do too much!   Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 16

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!  My day off!  It's 8 am and 70 degrees, and cloudy.

DH wants to finally buy a new phone today.  He tried to do this at Christmas time, and the man selling him the phone, was trying to get the old phone number into a new phone, with a new company and for some reason he couldnt do it.  He got the number out, but then couldnt load it into the new phone.  DH gave up after an hour, asked for his old phone back, which he got, but now he had  no number attached to it.  I guess the next person who came in, got it, and used the phone for two month, never paid the bill, and DH started getting bills from a company that he never had a phone with.  But this time, he is staying with his old company.  He just needs a new phone, and will buy it and add the info with his company phone service over the phone. I know that story was rather convoluted, but it ended up with a bill collector harassing him about an outstanding bill, which he didn't owe.  He does get confused, and the bill collector was confusing him, I tried to talk with her and she said she didn't care if I was his wife, he had to handle it himself. She couldn't nor wouldn't talk with me. Put it this way, no Verizon on our Horizon.

So, its walk the dog, go to the store, visit a museum, come home, watch F1 and cook dinner. I do have a video  for my training (after two sales)I need to watch before I start back up tomorrow,.  Which will bring me up to almost 40 hours this week.  And the next several weeks until 6/14 I am expected to work 40 hours a week. Which means, good, I can pay for the October vacation!  And it looks like I will have a job until next March.

If I had a tiara I would wear it.  Along with my headset.  HA!

I hope everyone has an absolutely wonderful day, and be safe -between the wonky weather and the ditzy drivers on the road, it is getting hard to survive a normal day.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Enjoying an outdoors lunch on a beautiful sunny day with Africa on our starboard and Spain and Gibraltar on our port side, as we sail the straits into the Med. A lot nicer than last June in the rain.

Lot’s of ships.

It was another build your own pizza lunch option and tonight is Asian dinner on aft Sunset Verandah. Last night we enjoyed a guest violinist and tonight a guest flautist from Britain who is getting don’t miss promotions. We have definitely been entertained 

Thank for the reports and post. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.067c348584b98fa64a0f5fa616d92867.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.63aba77193ef2104fce3d022ec470911.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.318ffd4f62c637cf9d1140417d9fc283.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 7

19 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

@Heartgrove  I hope you have a wonderful special day!

Birthdaymen.jpg.9771a29457a3313c0fc719aedf6ef570.jpg

We have another sunshiny day in store here in mid-Michigan.  Sue will go north to pick up Miss River this afternoon and then we will have Farkle Friday with DB Bill and DSIL Lauren.  Burgers on the grill!  We might throw some green beans on as well.  We have to have some vegetables.

Today's meal would go well with our burgers, but we're going to pass.  We do allot ourselves one Lindor Truffle each evening as a treat.  My favorite part of German Chocolate Cake was the pecan and coconut topping.  But at 77 g of carbs per slice, I have to decline.   https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/german-chocolate-cake/

germanchocolatecake1.thumb.jpg.3bb84f007accde62d951c73cbe2cb7be.jpg

Sally's upgraded German chocolate cake uses a dark chocolate instead of German sweet chocolate.  But it still has that wonderful pecan/coconut filling.  https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/german-chocolate-cake/

germanchocolatecake2.thumb.jpg.6ff1eaa06f126ae3ffaa329312f03f8f.jpg

Food and Wine shines a light on the origin of German Chocolate Cake, which isn't German at all!   Despite its moniker, this cake is not of German origin. The dessert gets its name from the creator of the chocolate that was originally used in the cake, Samuel German, who worked for Baker’s Chocolate Company. He created a sweeter variety of dark chocolate that is marketed under the name Baker’s German’s Sweet Chocolate. 

A century after the creation of the chocolate, two things happened — General Mills purchased Baker’s Chocolate Company and a Texas homemaker, Ms. George Clay, had her recipe for German’s Chocolate Cake published in the Dallas Morning Star. General Mills took notice and distributed the recipe throughout the United States under the name German Chocolate Cake.  https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/german-chocolate-cake-ali-larter

germanchocolatecake3.thumb.jpg.d3c6c070bebcf0ee644675237b6ccdd6.jpg

I hope this finds all of you well.  @StLouisCruisers Sandi, don't do too much!   Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Now that’s looks great. No broccoli or Brussels spouts!

• Like 11
  • Haha 9

Good morning everyone, it’s a beautiful May morning here.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists, so much to know about.

My DB is departed, I don’t own a tiara nor do I know Morse Code but I will celebrate them all today!

Not sure I like the quote, it just seems like lying to me.

I do like the meal and drink suggestions though.  Yes please to both and thanks for encouraging cake for a meal 😋.

I haven’t been to today’s port yet.

Prayers for those on our prayer list, here’s hoping that they help.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events and happy birthday to @Heartgrove! 🎉🎂🥂

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

German Chocolate cake is known as the breakfast of Champions in our area.  Also good for Lunch, Dinner, and dessert.  Have a good Memorial Day weekend all.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Memorial Day weekend-Wow.  When I was growing up in NJ we belonged to the Noe Swim Club.

This is actually a rather large pond.  And every year I couldnt wait until Memorial Day when the Swim Club opened. There were locations that we were not allowed to swim in, unless we passed swimming tests. There was red fish, green fish, blue fish, gold fish, red shark and maroon shark. As you passed each swim test, you received a badge that you had to sew onto your bathing suit. 

You could not use the diving boards unless you were a gold fish, and I loved diving, so my goal of course was to pass the test for gold fish.  I then got to the age where I wanted away from others, so I became a red shark to be able to swim out to the raft.  And in order to swim on the other side of the raft, I had to become a maroon shark.  So I passed that test.  And found out that on the far side of the pond, there were snapping turtles and snakes.  I never went out to the raft again. This picture reminds me of Noe.

6721841671_507af7c8d1_z.jpg

• Like 32
  • Haha 2

Good morning. A big thank you to all who make this thread possible and diligently keep it going.

No big plans for this holiday weekend.  Possibly a barbecue on Monday.  Weather will be nice.  I will start “thinking” about my next trip with DS on 6/14 but have to get DH to two doctors appointments before that.  Hopefully all goes smoothly.  

Prayers for all struggling with health and others issues.  Best wishes to all.  Katherine 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites! 

From the sound of our windchimes, it is a pretty breezy morning. Expecting storms later. Nothing on our agenda so I'll work around the weather.

We had a loud and boisterous game night. Not from us girls, well, kinda.. but we had a visitor dog along with Oliver and they were barking and running around like crazy people. Add a 3 year old who wanted everyone's attention as well as chasing the dogs around... you get the picture. There was so much food, no one left without heaping containers of left overs. 

Thinking of our Daily friends this morning,  especially Tana, Jacqui,  Maurice,  and Vanessa's BFF. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY @Heartgrove Have a fun dinner with YSW.

I agree with @MISTER 67 about Scotty Schefflers treatment from police. My news feed this morning said the officer who was disciplined for not wearing his body cam was also disciplined prior for doing donuts. Figures.

Wishing everyone a blessed day and a safe, healthy, Memorial Day weekend. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from a slightly brighter, but still cloudy central Texas.  It is 76F already, and we're heading to a high of 88F this afternoon.  It looks like we'll get some more thunderstorms this afternoon and evening, but then be rain free until Monday afternoon.  The humidity is 96% with a dew point of 75F and 10 mph winds.  I will probably make a quick trip to the grocery store this morning before it gets crowded.

Since I'm an only child, I'll let DH who has two brothers celebrate Brother's Day.  One year, a bunch of girls decided to get tiaras to wear to dances.  I never learned Morse Code.

I don't agree with the C. E. M. Joad quote.

The meal sounds good, but I'll skip it until my mouth has healed a bit more because of the pecans.  On BHBs we often have dessert at lunchtime and skip the stuff before dessert.  The drink sounds interesting, and I'd like to try the wine if it wasn't so pricey.

We have not been to Kagoshima.

The first telegraph message in 1844 by Samuel Morse changed how people communicated over long distances.

@grapau27 Graham, thanks for telling us about tiara day.

@MISTER 67  After seeing the video of Scottie's arrest, I agree with you about the police department.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope you are feeling better today.  I also hope whoever needed the medical team is all right.

@cat shepard  Ann, I hope the problem with Bindi's blood test was the vet's machine, but if not, I hope the situation can be remedied easily.

@smitty34877  Terry, enjoy your visit with your DB.  It is nice that your family is coming to help on weekends.  I'm sorry your oldest brother is gone, but hope the good memories help.

@1ANGELCAT  I hope Shirl's two month trial becomes permanent.  DH's stepmother went into a memory unit as a trial, and remained there.

@dfish  Debbie, I think River's other grandmother had the perfect answer to River's question yesterday.  

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope the new phone purchase goes smoothly today.

431903841_7568560346501005_4757774790983256828_n.jpg.7e15d1e7d62bd4ac7b35f53e74ae8d82.jpg

438118111_122129200304246242_3712134171534419259_n.jpg.504680c9aa74e737ac23058daa0c1681.jpg

441231715_436661819184787_1489894964139716522_n.jpg.f0a7fdb07c5b02523d8705969239fc90.jpg

442414584_10159434617636431_605643812206231749_n.jpg.8a9ba3b2d507f80d47cc3b879d90aef4.jpg

442438685_7648489625208385_3178535344446260393_n.jpg.7312593fc31a90af00829e1e072ffcab.jpg

443733459_306503652502966_8658363264544295871_n.jpg.64ef02eed638210e0bf0343f679b5d4f.jpg

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 18

@Lady Hudson, I can offer 2 suggestions for weekend events not far from you .

Bareville Fire Department is having their Charcoal steak dinner tomorrow starting at 11 am and Bird in Hand had their Chicken Bbq .

Both are delicious.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, LambKnuckles said:

I'll wait until I return from my outing to don my tiara!!!  I'm just not sure what others would think...

Sasha (cat) reserved hers for special occasions such as royal weddings or the Queen's birthday.

• Like 13
  • Haha 10

ScreenShot2024-05-24at06_22_05.png.7770e066e03e49a5eaba5d5ae2b30916.png

Memorial Day weekend is here - Whoa, where has the year gone?  I have 3 brothers, my tiara is crooked and tarnished, and my last husband was a radio operator in the Navy and he knew Morse Code.  He was also a ham radio operator and I can remember he would occasionally use MC to "talk" to others, though mainly I would hear "CQ, CQ, CQ". Funny quote, don't like German Chocolate Cake (shredded coconut), no to the fake Margarita, too expensive wine, and never been to the port - 100% no to everything!!  LOL!!

ScreenShot2024-05-24at06_46_57.thumb.png.19ea2e020ef2fdc320382ffe2898742e.png

It will be a beautiful weekend here with the possibility of hitting 100F on Monday (or getting really close).  All under wonderful sunny skies with no rain in the forecast.  @Heartgrove Happy Birthday!!

ScreenShot2024-05-24at06_48_34.thumb.png.1203c218bbc0388ed7e6336660703639.png

I have been amazed by my medical insurance and my PCP.  Firstly, my PCP called (well, his MA) to see how I was doing and asked if I want to see him (transition of care).  So I will visit him today.  My insurance has called twice to see how I was doing and also 1) schedule a home visit - which will happen tomorrow - and then 2) speak with a "provider" on things I might need. I have never had this much attention after a surgery - well, once when I had a hernia surgery at the small hospital I worked at and the doc called me that night to see how I was doing.  But we were a small group that all worked together and I chalked up the call to that. 

ScreenShot2024-05-24at06_49_15.thumb.png.e5dc8a018e9592d09d22ac5c7c2503b2.png

My construction went sort of well yesterday as I was able to get the lock on the gate.  The light - well, I thought I would try it in a different place to see if that would work.  The wood was VERY hard, and to make a long story short, I wasn't able to do it and now the base is stuck on the wood.  LOL!!  I will figure it out. 

ScreenShot2024-05-24at06_51_03.thumb.png.d9dfb51aa3a730b9eb14ae6f7cdabc81.png

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.  Have a great Friday everyone! 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@Lady Hudson, I can offer 2 suggestions for weekend events not far from you .

Bareville Fire Department is having their Charcoal steak dinner tomorrow starting at 11 am and Bird in Hand had their Chicken Bbq .

Both are delicious.

Thank you!  I will see if I can get my DS to go with me to one or the other.  Forgot there is also a parade in my town on Monday.  My church has a popcorn machine and I may help distribute the free popcorn to the community.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1