The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday May 24th, 2024

Greetings all.  Taking a break from window-washing to check in.  Almost as much fun as @Quartzsite Cruiser's dryer vent operation.  I cracked up when I read that, having gone through the same gyration with ours.   Yes, we diligent housekeepers know how to spend a rewarding day!

Wishing a very Happy Birthday to @HeartgroveJack.  🎂  🎊  🎈

I can't think about Tiara Day without being reminded of @cat shepard's darling retirement party photo.  Some of you might remember that wonderful photo!  A repost wouldn't be the worst thing.  😉

Also, I sure hope Bindi is okay.

German chocolate cake was a favorite in our household growing up.  Probably time to bake one.  They're all about the frosting, right?

I hope @kazu gets some answers from doctors today.  What a frustration that must be.

Everyone, enjoy the day!  For us in U.S., Memorial Day kind of kicks off summer.  Time for the patent leather shoes, white clothes, and seersucker.  I wonder if there is a certain holiday in Canada that spells summer.  I never thought about that before!  

Happy Friday!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I believe Kagoshima was my last ever port in Japan, part of Amsterdam's 2017 Grand Asia.  It was not on the original itinerary but was added when China objected to us visiting Korea.  I had a  tour that made 2 distinct stops.  The first was a volcanic island, and we reached it on a ferry.and visited the Airmura Lava Observatory. 

theferry.jpg

bus-on-boat.jpg

topdeck.jpg

The Observatory is a mix of lava tubes and paths where we were given some time to explore the trails:

arimura2.jpg

arimura3.jpg

arimura4.jpg

arimura5.jpg

arimura6.jpg

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

My second stop in Kagoshima was Sengan-en Gardens and Shoko Shuseikan Museum.   It was the estate of a former ruler of Kagoshima.  The museum is the site of early Japanese industrial activity.

The Gate at Sengan and then the gardens:

sengangate.jpg

sengangardens.jpg

And a cannon from the museum:

cannon.jpg

It was a nasty departure but we still got an enthusiastic sendoff:

sayonara.jpg

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Barolo is one of the world's truly great wines.  I do have a few bottles in my inventory, but I rarely buy it anymore.  Barolo likes years in the bottle--decades may be preferable--and my current drinking horizon does not extend that far.

I have an old online wine buddy by the name of Foxall who is really passionate about Barolo.  Foxall lives in Northern California.  He is convinced that there has to be a spot somewhere in this state where good Nebbiolo can be grown, and that was his quest.  While Nebbiolo is not completely unknown in California vineyards, nobody has made a wine that might be considered the equivalent of, even, an "average" Barolo.  I last saw Foxall in October, and it seems that he has changed his goal.  He now plans to retire in 2024, and he wants to move to Italy--specifically, Puglia.  Stay tuned for updates.

Over the years, I have had no more that five or six domestic Nebbiolo wines.  This is the only one in my current inventory.

IMG_3058.jpg.74ccef97594336c6f829dbd2f0cfc86c.jpg

Sandlands is the personal project of Tegan Passalacqua.  Zinfandel fans may know of him as the Director of Winemaking at the Turley Winery.  With Sandlands, Passalacqua offers well-made wines at a pretty reasonable price--it looks like I paid $38 for this one--and, often, from under represented grape varieties, e,g., Carignane. Cinsault. Mencia.

I cannot recall ever seeing a single-vineyard designated wine from Sandlands.  (Notice this one is designated Sonoma County.)  However, I would not be surprised if this wine was sourced from a single highly regarded vineyard.  Passalacqua is very well connected in the industry--from both his position at Turley and his participation in the Historic Vineyard Society.  I would not be surprised at all if he purchases most of the grapes for Sandlands under non-disclosure agreements in which he gets favorable pricing.  (That is my conjecture, only,  So, take it with a grain of salt.)

While I mentioned that Barolo is best with lengthy aging, CellarTracker's opinion is that the drinking window for this wine opens up in 2024.  I will probably hold on to this one a bit longer.  Drinking windows are opinions, not facts.

We had a lovely Barolo the other night La Villa 2016.   I think Puglia is a wonderful place to explore. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I have a great brother and wish we lived closer so we could see one another more often.  I haven't worn my tiara since the King's coronation, but it's always ready.  -.-- .- -.-- (yay) for Morse Code!  Because I took shorthand for 2 years in high school (and loved it), I think I'd find it easy to catch on to Morse Code.

Well it's finally sunny out there, the first time this week, but listening to the weather report, we could have showers again this afternoon.  We had to turn on the space heater on the deck to keep the plants from freezing, and looking at the week ahead it seems they'll have to stay on the deck for at least another 5 or 6 days before getting potted outside without fear of frost.  

We heard from our friends in Temple, TX yesterday (on FB) where they had an EF2 tornado, horrible rain, hail, etc.  They were spared, but there were literally cars floating down their street.  Thank goodness they were safe, but sadly, there was a lot of damage around them.

Yesterday should have been a quiet, relaxing day at home after the morning hospital tests, but it was filled with phone calls.  Friends checking in, the TAVI director calling, and calls from medical offices for follow-up appointments.  At least they stopped by 5PM so the evening was quiet and DH was able to get to bed early.

@Heartgrovewishing you a very Happy Birthday with many more healthy and happy returns of the day!

Not a lot happening here today, will likely do a quick grocery run and that's about it.  Our lawn guy came yesterday between rains and was able to do a nice job on all of them, so we're good for another week.  I'd like to try the drink (I've written out the recipe for testing purposes), would really like to try the wine, but I'm not that wealthy, and ooohhh my, you had me at chocolate!!!!  I haven't made a German chocolate cake in years, but might just put something together this weekend if the mood strikes.  Although it's Friday night and usually pizza night, we have so many leftovers from DSIL's dinner (ribs, wings, fresh vegetables & dip, a mixture of potatoes/green & yellow beans/red peppers and rhubarb cake) that we're going to just reheat them and enjoy that at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in the paths of devastating storms and wildfires.  Cheer to all who have celebrations happening.  

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, I'm glad your friends in Temple escaped the tornado unharmed and without damage.  The destruction was extensive.  

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn and to all contributors.

No brother here. I'll wear my tiara later. Morse code was an important means of communication. Funny quote, although in academia hiding sources is a no no. I'll take black forest cake over German chocolate cake, since I don't like coconut in food (it's a texture thing). Pass on the drink and wine ($$$). I haven't been to Kagoshima. A salute to Samuel Morse.

It's 75F and sunny. Storms tomorrow and Monday supposedly. My day isn't going as planned. Last night when I went upstairs, I heard the AC running, but no air was coming out of the vents. I think it's the capacitor. And of course it's a holiday weekend. I have a ceiling fan in the bedroom, so it wasn't too warm. I had trouble falling asleep, but managed 5 hours. I called an HVAC company I've used before, and of course they're busy, but are supposed to call with a time to come out. Downstairs has AC, since due to the size of the house, I have one system for the 1st floor, and a 2nd one for the 2nd and 3rd floors. I could sleep down here if it were too hot upstairs. I had planned to go to BFF's to do some things for him and just visit, but I'm stuck here in case they can come today.

@Heartgrove Happy Birthday Jack!

@summer slope How is your friend Mike doing?

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad you had a good, if tiring, day in Normandy. I hope the person down the hall with the medical call is ok. That's terrible about the transportation mixup so that you couldn't go to Blankenberge. That shouldn't happen.

@cat shepard You are too kind. Scary about Bindi's bloodwork. I hope it all turns out ok.

@smitty34877 Thanks for sharing a photo of your DB. I'm glad he and DSIL are coming again to give you a break and to spread laughter. Hugs to Tana.

@1ANGELCAT I hope Shirl will decide to stay. Bless her DS for his care.

@marshhawk Enjoy your day off. And congrats on having a job until next March. 

@aliaschief Nice photos. And the weather looks great.

@Nickelpenny Wow, that is a lot of attention from you healthcare providers. I had a call from the surgery center the day after, but otherwise I had provided myself with any mobility and bathroom aids. Good luck with your projects.

@ger_77 I'm glad your friends were safe, but sad about all the destruction and flooding. I hope DH is doing well.

@Overhead Fred Beautiful tulips.

@rafinmd I hope you feel better soon. I need to get a booster.

@RMLincoln Good that you the zoom call later for a boost. And I'm also glad the your DH is continuing to do well.

@luvteaching I'm tired just reading about your day yesterday. Prayers for continued health for your DM.

@Crazy For Cats All these healthcare cyber events is scary. I used to dictate notes from someone who had horrible cursive writing, and people always wondered how I could.

@bennybear Thanks for sharing your photos.

@kazu Thinking of you and I hope you get some answers soon.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Oh no, Vanessa, about your a/c going out.  Your are lucky to have two units, so you can have a cool place until the other one is repaired.

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

Greetings all.  Taking a break from window-washing to check in.  Almost as much fun as @Quartzsite Cruiser's dryer vent operation.  I cracked up when I read that, having gone through the same gyration with ours.   Yes, we diligent housekeepers know how to spend a rewarding day!

Wishing a very Happy Birthday to @HeartgroveJack.  🎂  🎊  🎈

I can't think about Tiara Day without being reminded of @cat shepard's darling retirement party photo.  Some of you might remember that wonderful photo!  A repost wouldn't be the worst thing.  😉

German chocolate cake was a favorite in our household growing up.  Probably time to bake one.  They're all about the frosting, right?

I hope @kazu gets some answers from doctors today.  What a frustration that must be.

Everyone, enjoy the day!  For us in U.S., Memorial Day kind of kicks off summer.  Time for the patent leather shoes, white clothes, and seersucker.  I wonder if there is a certain holiday in Canada that spells summer.  I never thought about that before!  

Happy Friday!

I had to smile when I saw you had gone through the same maneuvers to get the drier working again.  I'm not sure I qualify and a diligent housekeeper.  Yes, I was cleaning house and drying towels or I probably wouldn't have notices the problem.  I hope this time the hose stays in place.

51 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

My second stop in Kagoshima was Sengan-en Gardens and Shoko Shuseikan Museum.   It was the estate of a former ruler of Kagoshima.  The museum is the site of early Japanese industrial activity.

The Gate at Sengan and then the gardens:

sengangate.jpg

sengangardens.jpg

And a cannon from the museum:

cannon.jpg

It was a nasty departure but we still got an enthusiastic sendoff:

sayonara.jpg

Roy

Roy, thank you for the pictures from Kagoshima.

It looks like we'll be getting more rain in about 15-30 minutes.  I'll have to check my feet to see if they are growing webs between my toes.

Lenda

• Like 18

Late to the party again but better late then never?

Another day packed with appointments.  I’m worn and weary but they all had to be done.

Tiara day?  doesn’t seem to go with Memorial Day to me.  Should have matched Victoria Day which was last weekend.  Oh well.  Happy beginning of Memorial Day weekend  to all ourU.S. daily- ite friends.

I am worn and weary from all the appointments but at least a couple of issues might be addressed - things are in the works at least.  And if nothing else my X-rays today at the periodontist were good.

My legs are aching along with my foot and nothing yet, depite the urgent requests.  Oh well, I will just have to do the best I can.  I need to get stuff in and trying to figure out how I will pull it off with the pain.  We’ll see.

@Heartgrove a very happy birthday to you and many more 🙂 

@cat shepard I hope Bindi is ok.

Prayers to all on the Care list and cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 10

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Late to the party again but better late then never?

Another day packed with appointments.  I’m worn and weary but they all had to be done.

Tiara day?  doesn’t seem to go with Memorial Day to me.  Should have matched Victoria Day which was last weekend.  Oh well.  Happy beginning of Memorial Day weekend  to all ourU.S. daily- ite friends.

I am worn and weary from all the appointments but at least a couple of issues might be addressed - things are in the works at least.  And if nothing else my X-rays today at the periodontist were good.

My legs are aching along with my foot and nothing yet, deposit the urgen requests.  Oh well, I will just have to do the best I can.  I need to get stuff in and trying to figure out how I will pull it off with the pain.  We’ll see.

@Heartgrove a very happy birthday to you and many more 🙂 

@cat shepard I hope Bindi is ok.

Prayers to all on the Care list and cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Jacqui, I hope you can get some rest tonight.  I'm glad the x-rays today were good.  I hope the things that are now in the works, work out well.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

Marlene

First Bindi is ok. Those weird levels were a result of faulty on-site lab equipment. The offsite lab ran two tests to be certain, since the results were so very different. 

I can not believe any one remembers that picture. And even more bizarre that I still have it. I did repurpose the tiara for a friend’s milestone birthday, but I have been told another is in my future. 😎

IMG_0704.jpeg.1eea88b1721549ce94b1b7e2d431b026.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Marlene

First Bindi is ok. Those weird levels were a result of faulty on-site lab equipment. The offsite lab ran two tests to be certain, since the results were so very different. 

I can not believe any one remembers that picture. And even more bizarre that I still have it. I did repurpose the tiara for a friend’s milestone birthday, but I have been told another is in my future. 😎

Ann, I'm glad it was the equipment that was faulty, and Bindi is all right.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Marlene

I love that photo.  It just says, "Happy, fun day"!

What a relief about Bindi -- your sweet companion.❤️

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

We are happy to announce the arrival of Adelaide Elizabeth at 4:14 pm this afternoon.  She is the daughter of my goddaughter, Elizabeth, and her DH Joe.  Addy has an older brother, Oliver, who has been saying for the last few weeks that it was time for her to come out.  Mom agreed.  Mom and Addy are doing just fine.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

10 minutes ago, dfish said:

We are happy to announce the arrival of Adelaide Elizabeth at 4:14 pm this afternoon.  She is the daughter of my goddaughter, Elizabeth, and her DH Joe.  Addy has an older brother, Oliver, who has been saying for the last few weeks that it was time for her to come out.  Mom agreed.  Mom and Addy are doing just fine.  

Congrats! Please give Adelaide Elizabeth a very heartfelt Welcome to the World from us 😊

• Like 14

Dinner tonight is turning out to be fish en papillote, mixed greens, baked sweet potato, and Hazlitt riesling. The fish is cod, which I prefer sautéed, but the oven is on for the sweet potatoes. No German chocolate cake, with or without sauerkraut.

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, dfish said:

Welcome to the world baby "Addy"

• Like 15

12 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is ........................., and Morse Code Day...................

Learn Morse code with the Morse Code Machine – Scout Life magazine

Morse Code Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

What's a joke about young Samuel Morse? - Humour of the Day - Quora

morse code Archives - Glasbergen Cartoon Service

Funny Amateur Ham Radio Morse Code Joke Coffee Mug Says Give Me a Beer for  Men for Dad for Friend for Uncle for Nephew - Etsy

• Like 7
  • Haha 16

6 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺

Aloha,

I am saving this photo you took! Just stunning for possible painting in the future! Thank you

🌺Mahalo,

Denise🙂

I agree the picture @seagarsmoker posted is stunning - we dub those "puzzle worthy." I hope you do a painting & would love to see your version, if you'd share it 😊 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

...I think Puglia is a wonderful place to explore. 

So agree - we L🧡VED our day in Bari and look forward to returning.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Happy Birthday @Heartgrove🎂

images.jpg.1a70fe77a0b197a5fecaf1c68682fd09.jpg.80570f0707e1744af7563f2a7a9026ac.jpg

20240524_054937.jpg

@Heartgrove so sorry you got the weather update along w/your birthday wishes - no idea how that happened and certainly wasn't planned; by the time I saw it, it was too late to remove it.

I'm a dork and hope to do better going forward  🫣

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2