The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday May 24th, 2024

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Morse Code Day!

IMG_1906.thumb.png.07d638e71b7be0bd6a042c6b661d55b6.png

Wow, one hour since I posted this and no one has made a comment about my Morse code message. It is a real message. Don’t worry, it will not get me band from the cruise critic and it is not a, “you maybe a redneck” joke.

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Wow, one hour since I posted this and no one has made a comment about my Morse code message. It is a real message. Don’t worry, it will not get me band from the cruise critic and it is not a, “you maybe a redneck” joke.

Ok, challenge accepted:

Thanks for the fleet update and general info from all contributors - CM

Correct?

- .... .- -. -.- / -.-- --- ..- --..-- / .-. . -.. -. . -.-. -.- -... --- -... -.-.--

Edited by Nickelpenny
add
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 8

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I have a great brother and wish we lived closer so we could see one another more often.  I haven't worn my tiara since the King's coronation, but it's always ready.  -.-- .- -.-- (yay) for Morse Code!  Because I took shorthand for 2 years in high school (and loved it), I think I'd find it easy to catch on to Morse Code.

Well it's finally sunny out there, the first time this week, but listening to the weather report, we could have showers again this afternoon.  We had to turn on the space heater on the deck to keep the plants from freezing, and looking at the week ahead it seems they'll have to stay on the deck for at least another 5 or 6 days before getting potted outside without fear of frost.  

We heard from our friends in Temple, TX yesterday (on FB) where they had an EF2 tornado, horrible rain, hail, etc.  They were spared, but there were literally cars floating down their street.  Thank goodness they were safe, but sadly, there was a lot of damage around them.

Yesterday should have been a quiet, relaxing day at home after the morning hospital tests, but it was filled with phone calls.  Friends checking in, the TAVI director calling, and calls from medical offices for follow-up appointments.  At least they stopped by 5PM so the evening was quiet and DH was able to get to bed early.

@Heartgrovewishing you a very Happy Birthday with many more healthy and happy returns of the day!

Not a lot happening here today, will likely do a quick grocery run and that's about it.  Our lawn guy came yesterday between rains and was able to do a nice job on all of them, so we're good for another week.  I'd like to try the drink (I've written out the recipe for testing purposes), would really like to try the wine, but I'm not that wealthy, and ooohhh my, you had me at chocolate!!!!  I haven't made a German chocolate cake in years, but might just put something together this weekend if the mood strikes.  Although it's Friday night and usually pizza night, we have so many leftovers from DSIL's dinner (ribs, wings, fresh vegetables & dip, a mixture of potatoes/green & yellow beans/red peppers and rhubarb cake) that we're going to just reheat them and enjoy that at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in the paths of devastating storms and wildfires.  Cheer to all who have celebrations happening.  

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

My last TGIF of the month as I lose a tooth next Friday,  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie   My brother has been gone for over 3 years now.  I don’t have a tiara and don’t know Morse Code.

The quote sounds like larceny to me...

A great day in communications history..

I visited Kagoshima in 2017 on my segment of the Grand Asia.  I don’t think it was on the original itinerary but was added when China threw a fit about us stopping at Korean ports..

I’ll prefer white or carrot cake.  My alternative is Chilled Apple Vichyssoise, Fruit Cup au Natural, and Linguini with Prosciutto and Gorgonzola as served on MS Prinsendam May 24, 2015,.:

I’ll celebrate Vision of the Seas being back home in Baltimore today with a cruise embarking tomorrow.  I am a bit more lethargic than usual and have quite a sore shoulder after getting a Covid booster yesterday.

Roy

• Like 33

Beautiful sunny day, low 80s, breezy!  

I’ll pass on the quote. German chocolate cake is on the menu this week in our dining room but we’re trying to pass on desserts. I have two older brothers; one I was very close to one through most of my life - he taught me a lot, believed in me, encouraged me, and later we vacationed afar tigether with our young families - but we’ve drifted apart the last several years. I can’t be too sad because we’ve changed in such different ways we’re just are not on the same planet anymore and it too upsetting. My other brother just lost his wife and I’m calling him weekly now but we’ve never been close.  I’m so blessed to have my stepchildren and grands as my family!  At the reunion they had fir DH’s 80th and our 30th I told them they are my family!  I don’t want my siblings making any decisions for me!  Thankfully now I have legal documents to support my wishes. 

I haven’t been to Japan. 

Yesterday we installed a large shade in the bedroom window. It was nice sleeping in the darker room last night, and fun raising the new shade this morning by remote!  The installation wasn’t easy but it’s good to know we still can get things done. The prep of course was moving the dresser, boxes and general stuff away from that wall to get the step ladder in. DH is slowly coming off lifting and bending restrictions, Yay!!  The grabber I bought him gets used every time now for reaching into the stacked washer/dryer’s deep washer drum 😄

I have a zoom call this afternoon with my spiritual companioning ladies in Maryland, and really need to declutter the table before the grandkids come down tomorrow. They’re always a lift!  

Blessings sent to all our Dailies. Thanks to all who contribute to our special gathering place here!
🎂 Happy Birthday Jack! 🎉🎈Smooth travels to all away. 
Safe and healthy weekend to all as we remember those who died for our country and her values, disparate as we may be!  
Maureen 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Well we didn’t get to Blankenberge today. They said take a shuttle to the cruise terminal then a shuttle to Blankenberge from there. But once at the terminal they said to catch a bus from the ship!  We went back to the ship and they said they only had 2 shuttles this morning, not all day long every 30 minutes. By then it was too late to figure out trams, etc. so we stayed onboard all afternoon. We’ve found so many mixups and poor planning by the staff on this ship.  Disappointing! Tomorrow is the end of the first segment so we will see a lot of new passengers. There will be a blank picture in my upcoming Shutterfly book unless I use a photo of the Rotterdam docked next to Zuiderdam I took with my camera, not IPhone, when I got off today. 😳

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a dreary Pacific Northwest. In true Memorial Day weekend fashion rain is in the forecast for the next few days but there is some clearing. 

Yes to German Chocolate cake. My DS made one for my birthday and it was delicious! The coconut pecan frosting is the best! I love nutty things - it's why I taught 6th grade for over 30 years. 

Yesterday was a long day as I headed north of the border to see my DM (age 97 almost 98). I left home at 9:00 AM and got back at 8:15 PM. It's about a 2 hour drive up. I stopped and got her Maple Nut ice cream at Edaleen Dairy and was at her place by 11:00. She had her list ready and we did everything from dropping off a box of donations at Value Village, getting her lottery tickets, banking, stop at the local bakery (I got 2 cinnamon scones - yum), then a few more shopping stops and by 1:15 we were at our favorite Italian place for lunch. I left DM at 3:30 and headed to my friend's house where I saw my two adult godchildren, had a lovely visit with the family, and I got my birthday presents. One was a very nice teal blue hummingbird feeder and the other was a dark blue smaller backpack with a hummingbird them. 

I was tired when I got home so it was comfy clothes, a small glass of Riesling and relaxing after calling DM to let her know I was home and I had a few people including DS to check in via text. 

Today is errands and the pool and then hoping to stick around home and finish up grad cards so I can get them in the mail next week. 

Have a good day!

Karen

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

I did find a photo on the IPhone I took from the bus of the two ships. Zuiderdam on the right and Rotterdam left. Just after dinner started they announced a band playing outside before our departure tonight. I ran out to see and take a pic. Then I heard toots as Rotterdam left and Zuiderdam answered. A fun addition to the day!!IMG_6265.thumb.jpeg.bd40f25c8e5dabc4d025dfc213f7802d.jpeg

IMG_6270.thumb.jpeg.e41e0334ad39b6c713623b2cd09ef91c.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I did find a photo on the IPhone I took from the bus of the two ships. Zuiderdam on the right and Rotterdam left. Just after dinner started they announced a band playing outside before our departure tonight. I ran out to see and take a pic. Then I heard toots as Rotterdam left and Zuiderdam answered. A fun addition to the day!!IMG_6265.thumb.jpeg.bd40f25c8e5dabc4d025dfc213f7802d.jpeg

IMG_6270.thumb.jpeg.e41e0334ad39b6c713623b2cd09ef91c.jpeg

You are welcome to use the Blankenburg photos I posted Sandi.

Zeebrugge is a pain as you have to get a bus to the port gates then another to Blankenburg and the same when you return you go through security at the port gate then another shuttle back to the ship.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s a beautiful day here and that should last through Sunday, possible rain on Monday.  I see yard work in my future this weekend.

Work continues to be busy.  The cyber event is ongoing.  I saw an article this morning that gave me a talking point with customers who go to downtime procedures.  Many young staff members can’t read the cursive writing of clinicians.  Funny and sad at the same time.  This has the potential to impact patient care.  Apparently cursive isn’t taught anymore in the states and during my meeting with a Canadian site it’s not taught there either.

I hope everyone has a good day and a nice weekend.

image.thumb.png.343495d538b7b04c936ad3a4e748a503.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Now that’s looks great. No broccoli or Brussels spouts!

No, but I can add some cayenne pepper to the cake and frosting part.

• Like 8
  • Haha 10

Posted (edited)

Good morning and thanks all! @Heartgrove happy birthday Jack!  
@StLouisCruisers sorry you’re not well,  I wish you’d get to see beautiful Brugge and have some of the best chocolates on The planet, not to mention the Kriek and mussels and incredible town.  
Gladly will celebrate brother’s day although mine has also been gone far too long.  
and gotta love a good tiara!   Our DGDs loved them when they received them at the Banff springs when we celebrated our anniversary, but they loved their fairy wings more, lol! 

image.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f42f432b79f26c3745df16c2738da28a.jpeg

IMG_2358.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@StLouisCruisers sorry you’re not well,  I wish you’d get to see beautiful Brugge and have some of the best chocolates on The planet, not to mention the Kriek and mussels and incredible town.  
Gladly will celebrate brother’s day although mine has also been gone far too long.  
and gotta love a good tiara!   Our DGDs loved them when they received them at the Banff springs when we celebrated our anniversary, but they loved their fairy wings more, lol! 

image.jpeg

IMG_2358.jpeg

Thank you Brenda. I’ve been lucky enough to visit Brugge twice and absolutely loved it. DH enjoys the beer there too.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

Another warm day here today. It's currently 73 degrees (humidity is 91) with a forecasted high of 91 degrees this afternoon.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! 

116808958_3276370925743014_565053947913920905_n.jpg

🌺🌺🌺

Aloha,

I am saving this photo you took! Just stunning for possible painting in the future! Thank you

🌺Mahalo,

Denise🙂

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the Day - Ratti 2019 Serradenari Nebbiolo (Barolo)

Barolo is one of the world's truly great wines.  I do have a few bottles in my inventory, but I rarely buy it anymore.  Barolo likes years in the bottle--decades may be preferable--and my current drinking horizon does not extend that far.

I have an old online wine buddy by the name of Foxall who is really passionate about Barolo.  Foxall lives in Northern California.  He is convinced that there has to be a spot somewhere in this state where good Nebbiolo can be grown, and that was his quest.  While Nebbiolo is not completely unknown in California vineyards, nobody has made a wine that might be considered the equivalent of, even, an "average" Barolo.  I last saw Foxall in October, and it seems that he has changed his goal.  He now plans to retire in 2024, and he wants to move to Italy--specifically, Puglia.  Stay tuned for updates.

Over the years, I have had no more that five or six domestic Nebbiolo wines.  This is the only one in my current inventory.

IMG_3058.jpg.74ccef97594336c6f829dbd2f0cfc86c.jpg

Sandlands is the personal project of Tegan Passalacqua.  Zinfandel fans may know of him as the Director of Winemaking at the Turley Winery.  With Sandlands, Passalacqua offers well-made wines at a pretty reasonable price--it looks like I paid $38 for this one--and, often, from under represented grape varieties, e,g., Carignane. Cinsault. Mencia.

I cannot recall ever seeing a single-vineyard designated wine from Sandlands.  (Notice this one is designated Sonoma County.)  However, I would not be surprised if this wine was sourced from a single highly regarded vineyard.  Passalacqua is very well connected in the industry--from both his position at Turley and his participation in the Historic Vineyard Society.  I would not be surprised at all if he purchases most of the grapes for Sandlands under non-disclosure agreements in which he gets favorable pricing.  (That is my conjecture, only,  So, take it with a grain of salt.)

While I mentioned that Barolo is best with lengthy aging, CellarTracker's opinion is that the drinking window for this wine opens up in 2024.  I will probably hold on to this one a bit longer.  Drinking windows are opinions, not facts.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 10

49 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Apparently cursive isn’t taught anymore in the states and during my meeting with a Canadian site it’s not taught there either.

Cursive writing is making a comeback in US schools.  It is required in MD and 23 other states.  IMG_0535.jpeg.943ad43c2b864d31d524ebcd5ca144db.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, bennybear said:

image.jpeg

IMG_2358.jpeg

Lovely photos.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Well, not unexpected. Our itinerary changed for our Japan Cruise.

Please be advised that due to clearance regulations and daylight sailing
restrictions in the Kanmon Strait, Westerdam will now depart Hiroshima, Japan on Thursday, September 26, 2024 at 11:59 PM rather than 5:00 PM as previously scheduled. Additionally, we will no longer call to Fukuoka (Hakata), Japan on Friday, September 27 or to Nawiliwili, Hawaii on Wednesday, October 16, and we have added a call to Hilo, Hawaii on Friday, October 18. To accommodate these changes, our overnight call to Honolulu, Hawaii has moved forward a day; we will now arrive on Wednesday, October 16 at 8:00 AM, and depart on Thursday, October 17 at 5:00 PM. Additional call times have also been amended.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Cursive writing is making a comeback in US schools.  It is required in MD and 23 other states.  IMG_0535.jpeg.943ad43c2b864d31d524ebcd5ca144db.jpeg

Cursive was reintroduced in Texas elementary schools in the 2019-2020 school year.

Lenda

• Like 14

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn and to all contributors.

No brother here. I'll wear my tiara later. Morse code was an important means of communication. Funny quote, although in academia hiding sources is a no no. I'll take black forest cake over German chocolate cake, since I don't like coconut in food (it's a texture thing). Pass on the drink and wine ($$$). I haven't been to Kagoshima. A salute to Samuel Morse.

It's 75F and sunny. Storms tomorrow and Monday supposedly. My day isn't going as planned. Last night when I went upstairs, I heard the AC running, but no air was coming out of the vents. I think it's the capacitor. And of course it's a holiday weekend. I have a ceiling fan in the bedroom, so it wasn't too warm. I had trouble falling asleep, but managed 5 hours. I called an HVAC company I've used before, and of course they're busy, but are supposed to call with a time to come out. Downstairs has AC, since due to the size of the house, I have one system for the 1st floor, and a 2nd one for the 2nd and 3rd floors. I could sleep down here if it were too hot upstairs. I had planned to go to BFF's to do some things for him and just visit, but I'm stuck here in case they can come today.

@Heartgrove Happy Birthday Jack!

@summer slope How is your friend Mike doing?

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad you had a good, if tiring, day in Normandy. I hope the person down the hall with the medical call is ok. That's terrible about the transportation mixup so that you couldn't go to Blankenberge. That shouldn't happen.

@cat shepard You are too kind. Scary about Bindi's bloodwork. I hope it all turns out ok.

@smitty34877 Thanks for sharing a photo of your DB. I'm glad he and DSIL are coming again to give you a break and to spread laughter. Hugs to Tana.

@1ANGELCAT I hope Shirl will decide to stay. Bless her DS for his care.

@marshhawk Enjoy your day off. And congrats on having a job until next March. 

@aliaschief Nice photos. And the weather looks great.

@Nickelpenny Wow, that is a lot of attention from you healthcare providers. I had a call from the surgery center the day after, but otherwise I had provided myself with any mobility and bathroom aids. Good luck with your projects.

@ger_77 I'm glad your friends were safe, but sad about all the destruction and flooding. I hope DH is doing well.

@Overhead Fred Beautiful tulips.

@rafinmd I hope you feel better soon. I need to get a booster.

@RMLincoln Good that you the zoom call later for a boost. And I'm also glad the your DH is continuing to do well.

@luvteaching I'm tired just reading about your day yesterday. Prayers for continued health for your DM.

@Crazy For Cats All these healthcare cyber events is scary. I used to dictate notes from someone who had horrible cursive writing, and people always wondered how I could.

@bennybear Thanks for sharing your photos.

@kazu Thinking of you and I hope you get some answers soon.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 13

Posted (edited)

If you would like to make your cake more German, here's a German Chocolate Sauerkraut cake. Pass on the drink. For the wine, it's a toss-up between Cabernet Franc and Lemberger; this time Lakewood's 2021 Cabernet Franc wins the toss. 

This morning at Wegmans -- I don't like to go there on Fridays, especially on a holiday weekend, but I was getting desperate -- I found that the checkouts will no longer accept payment until a shopper card is swiped or its number keyed in. Cashier: "It's a pain in the toenail."

Screenshot2024-05-24at13-20-36GlasbergenCartoonsbyRandyGlasbergenforMay232024GoComics_com.png.2f3d02cbb9001a898234b2bba6f58113.png

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Today's sunrise is from my only modern NCL cruise.  May 24, 2016 was a sea day from New York to Bermuda on MS Breakaway.

dawn0524.jpg

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Ok, challenge accepted:

Thanks for the fleet update and general info from all contributors - CM

Correct?

- .... .- -. -.- / -.-- --- ..- --..-- / .-. . -.. -. . -.-. -.- -... --- -... -.-.--

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1