Windjammer nightmare

Still fighting bad taste in the mouth of travelling companions after absolute MADHOUSE on boarding day in the windjammer. Wayyyyyyy too crowded and not near enough seating. I'm talking 5 laps around with luggage. Am I missing something? Sea days interior spaces...same thing. Freedom of the Seas. These guys are looking for Carnival now. More space per person!

Royal should really open a section of the MDR as other cruise lines do on boarding day. Much nicer way to start vacation without dragging around luggage and long buffet lines. When you experience other ways things get done you realize it doesn't have to be so chaotic

It can be hectic.

Next time try to just bring a small carry on tote so you don't have lots of luggage to drag around. Others like to arrive at the port a bit later, maybe after 1PM and the cabins have opened so those dragging luggage will be in their cabins.

We find the windjammer really clears out when the cabins open. If we want to eat in the Windjammer on the first day, we try to hang out somewhere on the ship (usually near the pool ) till after 1:30 PM , then enjoy a quieter lunch after the masses have gone to the cabin.

Not a fan of the buffet at any time, especially the first day.

M

Problem lies with those lingering long after they have eaten. RCCL needs to somehow encourage people to use other areas of the ship after eating.

Seat saving and chair hogs are an issue in many areas on the ships. Not just WJ. This topic comes up at least once a week about concierge and diamond lounges too. And lets not forget the theater and poolside too!!

The #1 reason I usually board after 1:30! and this counts for all cruise lines.

Hear hear. Some like the whole concept of "get on early, you paid for it" but that does not appeal to me. Once those rooms are open, no problem having lunch anywhere. Much easier to navigate through the ship minus the people and families with luggage and all that other carry on stuff.

Royal should really open a section of the MDR as other cruise lines do on boarding day. Much nicer way to start vacation without dragging around luggage and long buffet lines. When you experience other ways things get done you realize it doesn't have to be so chaotic

I love the chaos everyone else causes when I am having my paella and melon water in the WJ that first lunch....don't take my pleasure away -- leave me to my pleasure!

Am I missing something? Sea days interior spaces...same thing. Freedom of the Seas. These guys are looking for Carnival now. More space per person!

Really?

This is common with every ship until the cabins open up; sorry you either didn't realize that or are perhaps feeling a little frustrated. How was the rest of your cruise?

Still fighting bad taste in the mouth of travelling companions after absolute MADHOUSE on boarding day in the windjammer. Wayyyyyyy too crowded and not near enough seating. I'm talking 5 laps around with luggage. Am I missing something? Sea days interior spaces...same thing. Freedom of the Seas. These guys are looking for Carnival now. More space per person!

You might as well prepare your traveling companions that Carnival will be no better on boardng day! If people would eat and LEAVE it would help the problem a little bit, but once people snag a table they feel they have the right to just sit there......which they sometimes do until the rooms open up!...:eek:

This has been the same experience on every cruise I have every been on, no matter which cruiseline.

We try to find another eating option during that time.

We arrive for check-in early and never have a problem even on our Freedom cruise last year. You can't just look for a table for just you. If we see only see a table with two people with four chairs we ask if anyone is sitting there and if no we sit down. For future Freedom cruisers go to the front by the bar at the entrance and will usually find plenty of seats up there. That is where we usually sat each day without a problem! :cool:

We arrive for check-in early and never have a problem even on our Freedom cruise last year. You can't just look for a table for just you. If we see only see a table with two people with four chairs we ask if anyone is sitting there and if no we sit down. For future Freedom cruisers go to the front by the bar at the entrance and will usually find plenty of seats up there. That is where we usually sat each day without a problem! :cool:

You might as well prepare your traveling companions that Carnival will be no better on boardng day! If people would eat and LEAVE it would help the problem a little bit, but once people snag a table they feel they have the right to just sit there......which they sometimes do until the rooms open up!...:eek:

This has been the same experience on every cruise I have every been on, no matter which cruiseline.

We try to find another eating option during that time.

We like to arrive at ship early on embarkation day, anticipating getting on the ship (regardless of which ship) hopefully by 11:30am. We sit poolside, then head to WJ for traditional visit to WJ for first day lunch. I like to watch the chaos others create, while I enjoy my paella and fruit drink....it puts me in the cruiser mood. Everyone on my roll calls knows to look for me in my hat with red trimming and as they find me at a round table they sit down and we have a face to face mtg....so nice.

But I don't linger. DH and I move back to pool deck until cabins open and then we take the few items we have carried on to our cabin and stow them away...to return to the pool deck to do our afternoon 'people watching' until muster drill. We swim, and watch the hoards coming on board -- many mesmerized by the ship....it is its' own afternoon entertainment.

Freedom on embarkation day was indeed a madhouse. Interestingly, when we got to the center of it, facing out over the bow, there were employees telling us that THEY would find seating for us. There was a line there. We had been wandering all over, when there was an orderly line the whole time. If only they had let us know earlier!

As it was, we expressed confusion to someone, and they took us to...Portofino? The specialty restaurant near the entrance of WJ. They had seating in there for lunch-eaters. It was most excellent.

Problem lies with those lingering long after they have eaten. RCCL needs to somehow encourage people to use other areas of the ship after eating.

When we were on the Explorer last spring, a crew member was prompting lingerers to leave.

NCL opens their MDRs with a limited lunch menu on embarkation day. ALL cruiselines should follow suit.

From my perspective cruisers bring large luggage on board with them that is difficult to maneuver around. It should be taken away from them when they walk on the ship and have a cabin tag put on it and brought to their cabin.

Walking on with small carry ons is one thing....what some cruisers bring on with them is ridiculous.

This is a fellow cruiser talking, not a staff member.

Exactly. Everyone wants a private table. The worst I find is breakfast in the WJ on port days. I love the Radiance class ships as one can go outside towards the back and sides.