Is it time for Celebrity to rethink the Elite Cocktail Hour?

RickT

Does Celebrity need to rething the Elite Cocktail Hour?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Does Celebrity need to rething the Elite Cocktail Hour?

• No, it's fine the way it is.
    • Yes, it needs to improve.
    • Not sure, don't care.

Here are a couple, and I'm sure you can come back with some that are different.. Comparing verandah to verandah. I can look at Hal also and see many cruises that are very similar in price. But don't waste your time, you have your opinion and I have mine and this thread is not about pricing of Celebrity, it's about whether or not you believe the current Elite Cocktail hour works when many have the classic beverage package.

03/05/15 Reflection - $1,149 cdn vs 03/06/15 Regal Princess - $1,318 Eastern Caribbean

07/10/14 Solstic $2,079 cdn vs 7/11/14 Crown Princess - $2,308 Alaska Inside

OK, here are two (Veranda) Caribbean that I have booked for Nov 2015 USD:

Eclipse 14 day $3,902 $600 OBC and Classic Package

Regal Princess 14 day $2,800 $550 OBC

So, the way that I look at it Celebrity is charging at least $1,000 more. We do cruise RCL, X and Princess the most now.

Although this thread is not about pricing of Celebrity, this still has an impact on as others have address this, too.

We both are right. Just added some opinions to this thread.

On our recent Eclipse cruise in Dec. I was told that Celebrity is going to change the vouchers. Eventually they will put the offers that are now coupons onto your cruise card.

This, of course, is the way Royal does it. We were told it requires a whole new software set and that "we're working on it." I guess sort of the same way they're working on the web site. Anyway, I really prefer the coupons-on-the-card system, as I usually forget my coupons.

It don't get any closer to the same than this,

Nov 20th this year, the Equinox and the Royal Princess are parked end to end at Port Everglades, both sailing 10 day cruises on very close to the same routes.

For a mid ship balcony on the Royal with Capt Circle, it is $1699 ++ pp, with a $50 pp OBC.

We booked the Equinox for $1624++ pp for a mid ship Aqua2, both with the Classic bev, paid Grats, $600 in OBC, plus another $100 from the TA, & $150 from Capt Club. Oh, we dine in Blu and get to lounge in the Gardens too:)

We are Diamond on RCCL, last sailed the Freedom in 2011, Gold on Princess, last sailed the Ruby in 2012, and 2015 will be our 1st Celebrity at the Elite level.

Last yr on the Equinox the people in the deck 8 1A next to us, paid $680.00 pp more than we did, with no perk at all.

Sorry to the OP for continuing the hi-jack :D

Yes, I really asked the question because I'm completely bitter that I'm not Elite and have never been allowed near the Cocktail Hour... LOL

Talk about an off topic comment.

I'm not really trying to be a Smart A**, just looking for the motivation for a person who does not even qualify for the Elite Happy Hour. Why would you want to change something you've never been too?:)

This past Holiday cruise on the Eclipse; we had a large group of eight to twelve people that would meet up each happy hour session and it was always a great time. Two couples had the Drink Package and they would just order upscale drinks and the rest of us just ordered the standard fare; no problems. They could have gone to any bar, but they chose to spend the time with the group.

Enjoy!

Kel:D

was this past Holiday Cruise on Eclipse. We always enjoy going to the "Happy Hour" to meet new and old friends. I must admit I didn't like the "vouchers"...I had to remember to find them...bring them...give them out etc. But...I always went to the "Sky Lounge"...not for the "food"...I don't think it's like it used to be ...in the "good old days"...whatever that is...but to meet up with CC members we "met" on the R/C and to meet new friends.

We do a lot of T/As and T/Ps and they don't "count" for the 123 go package. And TBH...I'm not sure I would pay the price that even the "Classic Package" is "offered" for. ....but I would hate to lose the chance to meet others in the "Sky Lounge"...or where ever it is offered on each ship. I like my "peeps" too much to give that up!!! (peeps being old and new found friends!)

So...as always on CC...to each his/her own. I think the "perks" that we receive are great..

And one reason why we return to X over and over again!!! LuAnn

For a mid ship balcony on the Royal with Capt Circle, it is $1699 ++ pp, with a $50 pp OBC.

We booked the Equinox for $1624++ pp for a mid ship Aqua2, both with the Classic bev, paid Grats, $600 in OBC, plus another $100 from the TA, & $150 from Capt Club. Oh, we dine in Blu and get to lounge in the Gardens too:)

We are Diamond on RCCL, last sailed the Freedom in 2011, Gold on Princess, last sailed the Ruby in 2012, and 2015 will be our 1st Celebrity at the Elite level.Sorry to the OP for continuing the hi-jack :D

I just checked two sites (Very Big On-Line TAs) and price for Aqua on Equinox was $2,200/person.

So, if you got it for $1,625 I commend you. After over 90+ cruises, I need to get your TA and give them some business. I know I can't ask on here so I won't. We normally cruise 4-5 times per year.

We are Elite+ on X, Diamond+ on RCL and Elite on Princess.

OK, you win for this one. At those prices I would sail Celebrity and get all the bennies. I wonder how many of us do get those prices???

Thanks for your input and info.

No, leave it the way it is!

As for improving the appetizers, we already have a thread on how we should tell them how to make more money off of us,so don't dare ask for more!

I find it amusing that so many say that drinks are free with the beverage package. Nothing could be further from the truth. Just look at cruise fares.

I guess it depends on where you are sailing and what category you book but I don't see much difference in price. I booked a C2 for the price of a C3 for a 7 day Bermuda cruise. When I deduct the $300 OBC, Drink package and paid gratuity, which I was planning to purchase and pay anyway the cost per person came to 750.00. I think that's a good price but I only started sailing with Celebrity so maybe CC class was much cheaper at one time.

If you are elite or don't purchase the drink package than it's not going to be the same deal for you.

We greatly appreciate the elite perks and the "X" experience. We truly feel like we are at home. We have travelled many lines with groups and by ourselves. It never fails that we make lasting friends at the "X" Elite HH. By coincidence or design, we run into the same people at different locations and stay in touch. There is also a lot of info exchanged. We never fail to learn something new which leads to...

As others have replied, we have never seen the need for beverage pkg. It amazes me when I read posts about how consumption pkgs. are used! Yes, I know it can be used for specialty coffees/ juices, but thanks to "X" we get that also.

Thanks Celebrity for allowing us to feel special for our loyalty.

I just checked two sites (Very Big On-Line TAs) and price for Aqua on Equinox was $2,200/person.

So, if you got it for $1,625 I commend you. After over 90+ cruises, I need to get your TA and give them some business. I know I can't ask on here so I won't. We normally cruise 4-5 times per year.

OK, you win for this one. At those prices I would sail Celebrity and get all the bennies. I wonder how many of us do get those prices???

Just checked 4 more Big On-Line sites and Celebrity Site. Still can't get under $2,200/person. So, Your TA is outstanding. What else can I say.

I find it amusing that so many say that drinks are free with the beverage package. Nothing could be further from the truth. Just look at cruise fares.

I find it amusing that some people don't see that there are deals out there to be had... I have a couple of cruises booked that I feel i did indeed get the drinks package for FREE...

Cruise - eclipse fjords, while planning to book this cruise we looked at a couple of options with one being on P&O and at the time the comparable cabins were pretty much the same price but on the P&O ship we would get £150 OBC and with celebrity we would get $200 OBC & the drinks package.... So yes I do feel I got the drinks package for free! In fact the P&O ship was a little extra cost!

Also the price we paid for our A1 cabin was comparable to what was being paid for the same cruise before the 123Go promo even started... I know this because I have been planning on taking this cruise for around 4 years so have checked the prices ever since first looking! Yes the prices went up very quickly after booking and at the current rates I'd say yes it's been increased to a higher level then previously but if you book early there are great deals out there with FREE benifits on offer... :D

Some people like to have a bit of a moan about being ripped off for no reason plus get all bitter & twisted about stuff, and some of us just enjoy what we are getting for FREE 🍸🍸🍸 😋 long live the 123GO/ALL IN promos... Just book early!! :D

We love the Elite Cocktail Hour!! We have made so many friends during these social hours. It is great to walk into the lounge on the first ECH and see familiar faces that you have sailed with before. The drinks really don't matter for me, I like the social event.

I personally hope that Celebrity continues to honor it's frequent sailers (sailors:) with a perk we enjoy!

I find it amusing that some people don't see that there are deals out there to be had... I have a couple of cruises booked that I feel i did indeed get the drinks package for FREE...

Cruise - eclipse fjords, while planning to book this cruise we looked at a couple of options with one being on P&O and at the time the comparable cabins were pretty much the same price but on the P&O ship we would get £150 OBC and with celebrity we would get $200 OBC & the drinks package.... So yes I do feel I got the drinks package for free! In fact the P&O ship was a little extra cost!

Also the price we paid for our A1 cabin was comparable to what was being paid for the same cruise before the 123Go promo even started... I know this because I have been planning on taking this cruise for around 4 years so have checked the prices ever since first looking! Yes the prices went up very quickly after booking and at the current rates I'd say yes it's been increased to a higher level previously but if you book early there are great deals out there with FREE benifits on offer... :D

Some people like to have a bit of a moan about being ripped off for no reason plus get all bitter & twisted about stuff, and some of us just enjoy what we are getting for FREE 🍸🍸🍸 😋 long live the 123GO/ALL IN promos... Just book early!! :D

Hi! I am glad that you were able to book the cruise that you wanted at at price that you are satisfied with, & get the perks to boot. Sure, there are still deals to be had if you are patient & willing to gamble that the price will go down.

I am not" having a bit of a moan"(love that expression!), I'm just saying that since they introduced the multiple perks like the 123 go promotion, they have also, in general, increased the price of the staterooms that qualify.

I hope you enjoy the cruise that you have planned so long for!:)

I would prefer them to handle it the way RCI does. There is a dedicated room but the hours are longer, and there are appetizers on the sideboard (at least on FOS there were). You also get drinks loaded onto your sea pass (I think it is three, but can't recall), so you don't need to go to the Diamond Lounge unless you want to. They are valid during Diamond Lounge hours. They are also available EVERY day, something that is frustrating on Celebrity by its absence.

I do think that with the continual classic package perks added (and I agree that nothing is 'free'!!), for many of us that perk is no longer of much value. For us, that was one of the key perks that came with being Elite or higher. Now not so much. It likely means more to people who book lower end cabins, as they may choose pre-paid gratuities as their perk as they do not get all three, and then they can have drinks with the Elite hour.

To me the best of all worlds would be to do what RCI does, and additionally let guests choose between that perk and something else of similar value (maybe a free shore excursion up to a certain dollar amount, or unlimited laundry, or a free picture package of a certain amount).

Just off a Royal Caribbean cruise and the way Royal does it works great. We went to Crown & Anchor lounge for a drink first night, then rest of cruise just used our coupons, which were on the sea pass card, to get a drink(s) at the bar we were at. It was, for us, the best of both ideas and the hours were, I think, from 5 pm to 8:30 pm. It looked like we could get a free drink in the lounge and then still have 3 drinks available to us from our cards. WE never used all 3 drinks nor did we feel any problem with bar staff. They did provide us with a receipt and the opportunity to tip them, which we did.

Loved it!

Just checked 4 more Big On-Line sites and Celebrity Site. Still can't get under $2,200/person. So, Your TA is outstanding. What else can I say.

Part was transferring on Black Friday. I thought some would question if it was true, here is the booking from X.

Now we did have to up front the normal higher deposit, but for that! I'm in! Oh, there are 3 others from our last cruise on Equinox booked at that too.

image.jpg.5e685ebf06ae0c52ec338804d391f41b.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

I would hate to see them change the Elite cocktail hour. It is nice have a drink with friends with similar interest. We did a drink package when Celebrity first started them and would never do them again. A couple of drinks before dinner is very nice. Not all cruises offer a drink package. Don't know what the op's problem is but the cocktail hour works fine.

I'm not really trying to be a Smart A**, just looking for the motivation for a person who does not even qualify for the Elite Happy Hour. Why would you want to change something you've never been too?:)

This past Holiday cruise on the Eclipse; we had a large group of eight to twelve people that would meet up each happy hour session and it was always a great time. Two couples had the Drink Package and they would just order upscale drinks and the rest of us just ordered the standard fare; no problems. They could have gone to any bar, but they chose to spend the time with the group.

Enjoy!

Guess you don't recognize sarcasm when you read it (the forum really needs a sarcasm font). I've been Elite for a while now. With no drink package, love the Elite Cocktail Hour, with a drink package, not so much.

Guess you don't recognize sarcasm when you read it (the forum really needs a sarcasm font). I've been Elite for a while now. With no drink package, love the Elite Cocktail Hour, with a drink package, not so much.

My bad then!:) Your history shows only five Celebrity cruises. Must be a suite guy or a bunch of long cruises?

Enjoy!

Edited by kelmac

Thinking about our next cruise with the drink package. The things that I will do different.

I will have wine with dinner the 1st night. Other nights I will go to the Elite Event, but might drink less wine. So I can have a glass of wine with dinner. I will not go to the Captains Party in the theater, because if I want a drink I can get it other places. Sea day I will have 1 pina colada at the pool. The drink package will benefit with 7 drinks that I would normally not have.

I think that the vouchers for drinks are the way to go,personally,

After using the coupons I would like to see Celebrity allowing us to use the coupons anytime during the evening. Not only from 5-7PM. They are allowing you 3 drinks per night, so allow 3 drinks per night anytime during the evening. You cannot use them in the MDR and some of the bars.

That is what I would like to see changed.

This thread got away from me before I could ask the question (and I have searched but could not catch up and read all answers) if drink coupons are now the norm on Celebrity? If so, what are the restrictions? We had them on RCCL in the Fall and liked the idea very much. We did have limited hours, but could us them at most bars.

We were looking forward to the Elite functions on my upcoming cruises. We like to meet people and also like to receive a couple of free drinks. I will not have an alcoholic package on one of the cruises.

Edited by Iamthesea

No, vouchers are the exception used only when there are a very large number of elites on a cruise. By large I mean well over 500. When used, they are good from 5-7 but not in the dining rooms or the martini or molecular bars.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by ghstudio

I remember about two years ago the Elite Happy Hour was brought up. I believe about 80% said they went to it to socialize, and the drinks were secondary. It looks as though that is NOT the case anymore. :)

Hello Texed- I hope your are doing fine!

Oh well - of course they said they love to socialize- does it not sound better and nicer then to admit that one love´s the free drinks! LOL! I love that Elite Hour- for me there is no need for a higher classed drinking package- the non alcolic classic suits me perfect!

I almost attend those Elite Hours every evening - the majority is couples chatting away and sitting by themselfes. It´s very rare that " the Elites mingle" ! LOL! If traveling alone it is a wonderful past time to " people watch"! If traveling with friends- all the more fun!

So stick with it X!

I almost attend those Elite Hours every evening - the majority is couples chatting away and sitting by themselfes. It´s very rare that " the Elites mingle" ! LOL!

We have noticed it being that way since they moved the event to the big sky lounges to accommodate the larger crowds when they implemented the reciprocity with RCI.

It now feels more like being at a banquet hall or convention where drinks are served, or attending happy hour in the lobby of a large hotel.

The vibe was different back when they used to hold the Elite happy hour in Michael's Club, a much smaller, more intimate room with the ambiance of attending a cocktail party in the den of someone's home, or at a private club.

When we had it there, passengers were much more likely to mingle freely, introduce themselves to others and welcome newcomers who entered the room.

We don't drink enough to make the drinks package valuable to us, but love the drink vouchers - we can take a glass of wine into dinner, which is usually the only time we drink.

I wouldn't care if the lounge disappeared since it seems to me there is not a lot of socializing being done. People tend to not mingle. I eat enough at meals that I don't need the appetizers.

But I would hate to see vouchers go away.

100% agree with this regards the vouchers.

We don't drink that much & don't drink soda or juice generally either so drinks packages for us are a big waste of money. The drinks vouchers you get for Elite (or Diamond as we are on Royal) are great for us as they cover half of our drinks daily at least! :D

We booked on Solstice a few months ago when there was different sale on & we received a reasonable discount on our fare which I prefer - no 123Go sale, so not everyone has a drinks package included.