Tips for room steward

puglvr0507

Hi all. I'm currently on the Celebrity Reflection on a 14 day cruise. This is my second cruise, my first one was many years ago. We have prepaid our tips, but would like to give our room steward a little something extra at the end of the cruise. How much extra, if any, do you usually tip your room steward?

Thanks!!

My husband and I recently went on a 5 day cruse. Only our 2nd. (last 1 was 20 years ago). We prepaid our gratuities and were told by experienced cruisers that we could leave extra if we wanted to. However on the next to last day we found an envelope on our bed from our cabin steward basically asking for more money. How common is this?? It made me feel very uncomfortable. If I want to leave extra it should be at my desertion....this felt more like an obligation. None of our experience friends have ever had this happen to them.

You will have a good idea of what any extras they may do are worth to you...there is no "normal" or "right or wrong". As long as you've kept the standard tips on your account, you've done your duty! Any extra you may give is 'gravy".

On our first cruise in 2016 our room steward was amazing. I believe we tipped him $50 extra at the end of the cruise. Our recent cruise the room steward was nothing compared to our first steward and didn't need anything extra from her. Several days our room was not made up in the evening. She did not even introduce herself to us. So basically we base it on the level of service and friendliness of the steward.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our first cruise in 2016 our room steward was amazing. I believe we tipped him $50 extra at the end of the cruise. Our recent cruise the room steward was nothing compared to our first steward and didn't need anything extra from her. Several days our room was not made up in the evening. She did not even introduce herself to us. So basically we base it on the level of service and friendliness of the steward.

That's how we do it, as well. There have been big extra cash tips, and some that were simply an acknowledgement. We do leave the auto-tips in place, regardless.

Hi all. I'm currently on the Celebrity Reflection on a 14 day cruise. This is my second cruise, my first one was many years ago. We have prepaid our tips, but would like to give our room steward a little something extra at the end of the cruise. How much extra, if any, do you usually tip your room steward?

Thanks!!

We have had Cabin Stewards who were great ,others who were terrible and several in the middle.For great service we tip accordingly.

My husband and I recently went on a 5 day cruse. Only our 2nd. (last 1 was 20 years ago). We prepaid our gratuities and were told by experienced cruisers that we could leave extra if we wanted to. However on the next to last day we found an envelope on our bed from our cabin steward basically asking for more money. How common is this?? It made me feel very uncomfortable. If I want to leave extra it should be at my desertion....this felt more like an obligation. None of our experience friends have ever had this happen to them.

You have posted only three times, all complaining about this in several threads, and even opening up old threads just to complain. Some room attendants will leave an envelope as a courtesy, not as a solicitation. I am sorry that you took the low road and decided to be offended by a simple courtesy.

Edited by sloopsailor

I think the envelope thing is pretty standard. We just ignore them, and give cash in hand where appropriate. Some people have gratuities removed from their accounts, so perhaps the envelopes are there as a reminder to those few.

Thanks!!

I usually tip between $2 - $10/day (extra) depending on the level of service.

Thanks!!

So long as you leave the auto-grats on, anything you do, from 0 to thousands is fine. It is purely a matter of your own discretion. There is no right or wrong, here.

In the category that we book on HAL we have 2 cabin stewards. 99.9% of them have been great. And our cruises are longer than 7 days. So we tip according to how well they have taken care of us and length of cruise.

A number of years ago before HAL started 2 cabin stewards versus 1 (before major cutbacks) we had a couple of bad cabin stewards AND a bad dining room steward. You can bet they didn't get anything extra from us. I have often wonder if they talked to other crew members and discovered that the service in other areas of the ship were excellent and we tipped those people (bar/lounges).

I've had good cabin stewards on all of our cruises, but never asked for special requests. I usually leave a $20 tip in addition to the prepaid gratuities. If I ever get poor service or need to make multiple special requests, then the amount could be lower or higher.

The automatic service charge covers standard service - it being understood that it can be removed/reduced if service is unsatisfactory. Extra cash at the end is a good way to recognize superior service - and on virtually all my cruises I have felt that the service was superior - and wanted recognition.

This means, however, that for a ten day cruise, say, I am inclined to feel that, if I have received superior service, $40 or $50 might be appropriate -while $5 is so little as to be almost insulting. Is superior service (presumably daily) worth just 50 cents a day?

Your "experienced cruisers" don't know much do they? You are also easily offended and need to get over it. On most cruise lines crew are only allowed to keep the additional money IF you left the auto gratuity on. Therefore, as a courtesy to YOU so YOU don't have to spend time during your wonderful day going to the Purser's Desk, they leave the envelope for you to write your name and cabin number.

I would have been offended if he demanded payment, if he was overly aggressive in the way he gave it to you etc. Lying it on the bed is hardly offensive. Do you also get offended in restaurants when they give you a receipt with a line for the tip and then down below they have already figured out how much 15%, 18% and 20% is? Ya, I thought so. Get better "experienced cruisers" friends cos the ones you know aren't that experienced and don't know squat.

Your "experienced cruisers" don't know much do they? You are also easily offended and need to get over it. On most cruise lines crew are only allowed to keep the additional money IF you left the auto gratuity on. Therefore, as a courtesy to YOU so YOU don't have to spend time during your wonderful day going to the Purser's Desk, they leave the envelope for you to write your name and cabin number.

I would have been offended if he demanded payment, if he was overly aggressive in the way he gave it to you etc. Lying it on the bed is hardly offensive. Do you also get offended in restaurants when they give you a receipt with a line for the tip and then down below they have already figured out how much 15%, 18% and 20% is? Ya, I thought so. Get better "experienced cruisers" friends cos the ones you know aren't that experienced and don't know squat.

We paid the gratuities up front (prepaid) We never took them off !!

When get to my cabin I usually meet my room steward. I say hello, some small talk and ask if they can clean out the refrigerator. And give the steward $20 up front. My room is always spotless and if I need something they're happy to please. On the last day of the cruise I'll tip some more if the service was great. I've done this for twelve cruises and my service has always been great, so I tip twice.

We always leave the daily gratuities on. Unless the steward is really awful--has never happened--we tip an extra $20 to $40 the last day; more for a longer cruise.

I don't see how someone could be offended by an envelope on the bed--I haven't seen an envelope for years, but it wouldn't bother me. I'd either ignore it or use it. If they were hounding you, following you around with their hand out, giving multiple hints, etc., then I would be upset.

I did not like the envelope system when that was the norm; hated giving out the tips on the last day.

When get to my cabin I usually meet my room steward. I say hello, some small talk and ask if they can clean out the refrigerator. And give the steward $20 up front. My room is always spotless and if I need something they're happy to please. On the last day of the cruise I'll tip some more if the service was great. I've done this for twelve cruises and my service has always been great, so I tip twice.

Next trip do not tip them $20 on day 1 & see if the service you get is any different :evilsmile: