Submarines

Sat1

Submarines are required to sail unsubmerged in certain waters typically near ports. I think they then submerge when they reach a specific place at sea. I have seen one near Faslane when we were going to Ireland. I think it was the one we sold to the Australians but it broke down.

Regards John

There is a Navy facility on Cape Canaveral (tenant command of the Air Force station) called Naval Ordinance Test Unit or NOTU. It is where certain submarine weapons systems are tested, calibrated and training occurs.

The command directly supports the mission capability and readiness of the United States Navy's Trident Submarines as well as the Fleet Ballistic Missile program of the United Kingdom. NOTU operates the Navy Port at Port Canaveral, supporting submarines and surface ships of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet and foreign navies and assets of the Military Sealift Command.

http://www.patrick.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=8491

For this reason it is not unusual to see submarines entering or leaving Port Canaveral. Note 'Trident Basin' on this port map

canav%20port%20map_zps2tubmty6.jpg

cruisers in/out of Seattle also have a good chance of sighting a sub on the surface in Straight of Juan de Fuca due to the presence of the sub base in Bangor. Other US sub bases tend to be away from cruise ship ports but Long Island ferry riders in New London CT would routinely see subs. Groton CT sub base is there . . . as well as Electric Boat a sub builder.

While on patrol in 1978 we were having a swim call and suddenly a sub surfaced a few hundred yards away and they joined us in a swim! I've got pictures, I'll see if I can find them.

Edited by Capt_BJ

While at sea, have you ever spotted a military submarine?

boats do not travel the same waterways that cruise ships do. so unless you are entering or leaving a port you won't.

furthermore rarely are they on the surface when in the open sea unless doing an UNREP.

Thanks, CaptBJ, That is good to know, I'll be sailing out of Canaveral in 2 weeks, so, I'm gonna go submarine hunting off my balcony! :D

The sub basin is on the port side of the boat as you leave PC. I seen subs there numerous times.

Long ago, we cruised a Southern Caribbean itinerary Several days after Operation Urgent Fury. As we were approaching Barbados, a USN attack sub surfaced just astern and followed us in. Their deployment was extended due to the Operation.

When we returned to the ship that afternoon, the sub was hosting visitors from the ship, so we took a tour. According to the duty officer our guides had the duty because they were working off Captain's Mast punishment. Apparently it was considered a "good" punishment . . . worth putting up with the "old guys" touring to check out the women using the ladder in the sail.

Not on a cruise ship (but, rather, on my own sloop), we were once headed through the Carquinez Strait on our way back from the California Delta to San Francisco Bay.

In the distance I noticed an unfamiliar black mid-channel marker (which also wasn't on my NOAA chart or listed in the most recent USCG local notice to mariners).

Quick look through the binoculars also found that this unusual sight of a "buoy" also had a wake(!).

Oops - nuclear sub on its way to Mare Island.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Submarine tour at Pearl Harbor and San Fran Fisherman Wharf adjacent to cruise ship pier.

A Russian sub is on display at the Queen Mary in Long Beach next to the Carnival Dome.

Edited by SadieN