Doesn't seem fair

wannatan

If one really feels this way, then they should never fly again, cruise again, rent a car again, or a hotel room. Almost never will you find that you got the lowest price and almost always someone got a better deal than you did. Jealousy and envy will ruin you life if you dwell on things like this.

Why do people think it's ok to belittle others on this site. I knew there was a reason a few years ago that I stopped looking on here. I was brought up that if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything. If you are ever in this unfair situation in which for I have paid almost $8,000 maybe you do would be slightly green eyed. I'm annoyed yea but not stupid

Why do people think it's ok to belittle others on this site. I knew there was a reason a few years ago that I stopped looking on here. I was brought up that if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything. If you are ever in this unfair situation in which for I have paid almost $8,000 maybe you do would be slightly green eyed. I'm annoyed yea but not stupid

I don't think anyone is belittling you, but trying to explain if you think every passenger on every cruise is paying the exact same thing, you are mistaken. Why do you think there are all the posts about sales, deals, travel agent perks etc. but if you were happy with the 8,000 when you booked you should still be happy. Who knows, one day you might get the offer and we will all be jealous of you. Jealous of the person with the great deal is fine, never cruising with the cruise line is just crazy. They all do it.

I would honestly call that a huge overreaction.

Actually, the way I wrote that it does seem like an over-reaction, but that was only part of the whole thing with Princess - it was quite a few problems, plus, I really didn't enjoy my cruise that much so I cancelled my future ones and booked Celebrity instead. I can't put my finger on it - I put a review on a UK travel agent site and others have commented that they felt the same on the Royal. So yes, I wouldn't have cancelled just because of that if I had no other faults with Princess - I'm just moving on from Princess to what I do like and get treated better on land and on board.

People on my cruise last month on the Caribbean Princess received a similar offer to move from a balcony to an inside cabin for a refund. We were in an inside. I wish a little bit that we had splurged for a balcony and received the offer. It would have been great. But I am not threatening to quit Princess for good. The only time we've received a move-over offer was when we had an inside cabin booked.

Somethings to consider:

- You said you are Platinum. Maybe Princess believes they are showing you respect by NOT offering you the move over offer? "We hold our platinum passengers in such high regard, we would never ask them to downgrade"

- Have you stayed in the same type of accommodation every time you've cruised (or at least the past several)? That would make them less likely to think that you'd accept any less than that.

- As others have said, distance before leaving (you're flying in from the UK), excursions, and other things may make people more/less likely to take the offer. They are going to make the offer to those they think are most likely to take it to get it over and done with as quickly and cheaply as possible. The longer they wait, they may have to up their offer.

Airlines do the same thing. They overbook. They make announcements asking for volunteers to give up their seats and be compensated. You get there 8th in line because 7 people ran faster than you, and they don't need you? They'll thank you for offering and tell you they already have enough volunteers. This is the cruise line variation on the same theme.

You booked a cruise and got exactly what you paid for, but are unhappy. It's true what they say: Comparison is the thief of joy.

Maybe because your response seems very immature. The fact that you might sit at somewhere on the ship wondering if the person sitting near you got a better deal on the cruise than you or maybe even was able to go on the cruise for free and that you would spend your time on the cruise letting that bother you is amazing to me. I know for fact that there are people on my cruises that got better deals or someone bought the same car just bought and probably for a better price but why would I be bothered and let my purchase experience or my cruise experience be negatively impacted by that?! What a way to go through life thinking it is so unfair. Not a healthy way to live life in my opinion.

Book and pay for your cruise at a price point that is acceptable to you and who cares what someone else paid. And rejoice in the good fortune of others rather than think things are unfair because you weren't fortunate to experience the same good fortune. Hopefully some day you will experience good fortune and if you share that with us, I will be the first to congratulate you, not be upset that I didn't get the same good fortune.

I think you are correct that some people responses are "belittling" and it is not uncommon.

Your perspective is surprising to most of us. A move over offer is usually a last minute attempt to avoid an even worse situation. Perhaps the cruiseline does not have a cabin or a type of cabin at or above what was booked. In an attempt to not disappoint those people, cruise lines will make offers to coerce someone to cancel the cruise or downgrade. I believe your point is since you did not receive the offer you are at a disadvantage. I suspect the number of people receiving the offers are very small, therefore almost everyone is in your situation. In my case I plan my cruises way in advance and would not likely ever be interested in an offer to change at the last minute.

I choose to view the situation from the perspective of those that would not be able to cruise if someone did not take an offer. That would be a much worse than your situation and I think it does happen.

Airlines do the same thing with offers at the gate, but in that situation every one has an opportunity to take the offer.

By the way in some cases upgrades and up sells are driven by some of these situations. (Lack of a cabin in a certain category)

IMO a cruiseline must attempt to cruise full to maximize their profits and maintain an affordable price point.

The bottom line is that IMO it is not practical to put the move offer/downgrade offer up for open bidding. Perhaps the cruise line did not need your category of cabin or someone already took the offer. I have been on many cruises and have never been asked to move or take a downgrade by a cruise line. But I have been asked many times when flying.

I hope you can enjoy your cruise and not worry about I.

hi we are sailing on the sept 20th royal princess western med. I've just looked at some postings on the roll call and it seems people are getting what I can only describe as a FREE cruise with a so called move over offer. Now while I like the idea of my Mini Suite I would much rather a Free cruise or a heavily discounted one. How do they pick these cabins and who gets this offer. I have seen mini suite to deluxe balcony and balcony to inside. It seems like it's not just the most sailed who gets the offer as only lady said it's her first princess cruise. I'm miffed at this never have I heard of it and to be honest its leaving a rather sour taste in my mouth!! Ive paid a small fortune for this and if they can do things like that then why not lower everybody's fare and not overbook in the first place. Offering 100% is not fair to the rest of us.

I'm not sure I will cruise with princess again after this.

Jane:(

We are on the Royal, a month later, leave Barcelona 10/21 on the TA. We too booked a mini suite, booked early, current fare about $800 more each for same cabin. About a month ago we got an offer for an upgrade to a full suite for $800 more each, I passed on it because I booked the cabin I like... suites are aft or forward... not what I like. Next I got an offer to upgrade to a Club class... again I passed on it, figured I would not use the Club class, the money I would paid for that offer $500 for the two of us more, I will use to go to the Crown Grill ... which I plan do Crown Grill most nights on this 14 day cruise. So not all offers are really a deal. At least these two were not for us, we have 24 cruises with Princess... 60+ cruises with a variety of lines. I can spot deal quickly... very few good deals today... best approach is book early, I do and with the line directly.

Life isn't fair and business has no reason to be.

And businesses, including cruise lines, don't care much about customers who make unreasonable demands with the threat of taking their business elsewhere.

There are so many variables that it's impossible to know how each moveover or upsell offer is determined. It's mostly luck & I wouldn't whine about why not me? :rolleyes:

Would I hope for a moveover offer? Absolutely! Would I be upset that someone else got one? NEVER! Would I take my business elsewhere? Why would I do it because someone else got lucky & received something I didn't.

Businesses appreciate loyalty but there's a point where they're happy to have a customer take their business & demands to another company. I think that's the category complaints such as this will fall under...let another cruise line deal with unreasonable demands to cancel cruises because they weren't lucky to receive a moveover offer.

And expressing a different opinion on any subject isn't necessarily belittling anyone...life isn't always fair.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Wait. Haven't you been saying not nice things about Princess?

Fairness is in the eyes of the beholder.

My thinking is that everyone should be incredibly grateful to be blessed with the resources to do something as frivolous as cruising. This is a very small percentage of the world's population.

Having said that, I do think a better way to handle move overs would be to start at the top of the loyalty pinnacle and work down.

My thinking is that everyone should be incredibly grateful to be blessed with the resources to do something as frivolous as cruising. This is a very small percentage of the world's population.

Having said that' date=' I do think a better way to handle move overs would be to start at the top of the loyalty pinnacle and work down.[/quote']

Then those at the bottom of the list would never get an offer and they would think it unfair.

Hard to believe what a total whiner the OP seems to be. "It's not fair!" is something kids say. Adults should know better.

I knew a guy in the VA hospital in Palo Alto. In the past he had been in the hospital with the guy from Born on the Fourth of July. He was appalled at what a whiner the guy was. He was a paraplegic and his legs no longer functioned. Wah, wah, wah. The guy I was talking with was a complete C4 quad. He could breath on his own which was a blessing. He used a mouth stick to type on his laptop because the only movement he had at all was a bit of head motion.

I didn't hear him (or the other guys in the quad wing) bitch about how "unfair" it was that others had lesser impairments.

My travel agent isn't in till Monday and I will get her to contact Princess then. I believe that it's best as at times when I've tried to contact different holiday companies and I've booked through a TA they will only speak to agent. Plus they are making commission so let them earn it

There still would be no harm in e-mailing Princess though and give them your feelings.

First rule of cruising: Do not talk about how much you paid for your cabin.

This.

To the OP: if you were happy with what you paid when you booked (and you should have been, or else not booked), why would you allow what happens to someone else to steal your happiness?

As for fairness...has your life been so blessed that this is the first time you've faced what you feel is inequity? Lucky, lucky, LUCKY you!

This.

To the OP: if you were happy with what you paid when you booked (and you should have been, or else not booked), why would you allow what happens to someone else to steal your happiness?

As for fairness...has your life been so blessed that this is the first time you've faced what you feel is inequity? Lucky, lucky, LUCKY you!

On our next cruise there will be folks in a balcony who paid waaaaaaaaay less than we paid. it's after final payment and there are cabins available so someone is going to score a really awesome price. Oh, well. We booked at a price we were willing to pay and what someone else pays isn't really our concern. Good for them if they get a deal. I wasn't willing to wait until after final payment to see if there were still cabins available. Nope, nope, nope. We will sail knowing that the folks in some cabins saved enough on the fare to book another (shorter) cruise in an inside cabin. It won't bother us at all.