R U Packing Lighter (Smarter) W/Princess Because of Onboard Self Service Laundromats?

need2cruisesoon

Princess has had self-serve laundries on all ships for decades so there shouldn’t be any effect or influence on how you pack differently now vs. thirty years ago.

Back in the 80’s and 90’s, the dress code was formal, semi-formal with a few smart casual so considering most nights, the dining room dress is smart casual, I no longer pack beaded gowns and truly formal dress. In that way, my packing has changed.

I am taking three kids on a 21 night cruise in South East Asia in Dec. I chose the cruise line based on the fact they have on board laundromats. There is no way that I won't be doing laundry!

We did a 14 night on Celebrity last year with the boys and it was actually quite annoying to not be able to wash our own clothes. I refuse to pay $$$ to wash undies and socks so I did quite a lot of hand washing, and they shrunk and lost some of the laundry we sent to get cleaned.

Still pack too much due to "You never know..." :( But I always bring along some laundry detergent and dryer sheets. When we do a TA or plan on spending a few days before or after a cruise, the laundry facilities make a huge difference. Can't imagine having to pack enough clothes for 10+ days.

Since retiring five years ago we travel for longer periods and we only travel with 20" international carry on roller bags. We very much appreciate having a laundromat on board.. A cruise is often in the middle of an independent land tour so we appreciate being able to do laundry at the very start or the very end of a cruise.

So no, our packing does not change. We do however select on the basis of ship/itinerary/price so a laundromat can make a difference. We typically travel for 8 weeks at a time so this has become an attractive ship's attribute for us.

If you look at our signature, you can see we've done a few cruises. Most were done from out home port, others were in mid road trip. ALL WERE DONE figuring in on-board laundry. Our next trip is over 18 months away, but I can tell you the laundry is on our deck and within 55 feet of our cabin. Laundry will be done once or twice and THAT WILL MAKE major decision in packing. One large checked bag for majority of clothing plus water and sodas. One large carry on for electronics, meds and one days extra clothing. On the fourth or sixth morning go to laundry and load washer. Set timer on my phone and continue to Lido. Using packed travelers mug get coffee and whatever pastries look good that morning. Return to cabin for some reading on the balcony until timer goes off. Take 5 minutes to put stuff in dryer, reset timer and then get more coffee if needed. Retrieve clothes when timer goes off. TOTAL TIME "WASTED" is only about 20 minutes.

These days, for two people, we take one checked bag and two under seat tote bags (there have been flights with the overhead storage already filled when we were seated) and we have started using the Elite laundry perk.

We have cruised up to 12 nights with Princess and only a carry on each (Caribbean region only). We travel almost everywhere with carry on if at all possible. Unfortunately, we cannot do that with a 60-night cruise and varying weather/temperatures, so a checked bag will be a necessary addition and we plan to use the laundry.

And as you might be guessing, we don't do gowns nor tuxes nor full suits.

I really appreciate the laundry rooms on Princess and usually use it once on a 14 day cruise, which is kind of our normal length of cruise. It really doesn't take that long and although I do some hand wash I love having nice clean clothes after the first week.

I note the time carefully and relax in the cabin until the time is up. I've been happy that the last couple of times the two loads I washed fit in one dryer and actually got dry!

12th cruise coming up--can't wait to be elite! I do wish Princess counted their cruise points differently.

As to the original question, it really doesn't make that much difference in what I take. We each have one medium sized suitcase and sometimes one carry-on size, depending on if we need to take special items like snorkeling gear, etc. Plus I have a large tote. I basically pack enough for 7-10 days and then wash. I don't think I'd pack any more for a longer cruise, I'd just wash more often.

I pack lighter than DH. He's getting better. The only time I used the laundry facility was after our five nights before our cruise--before we became Elite. I made the mistake of not looking at deck plans. I could have saved a lot of steps if I had gone down to the laundry room on the Dolphin Deck from our forward Baja Deck cabin.

I select cruises based on my ability to do laundry, or have it done for a reasonable price. That means no Royal and no NCL for me. We fully take advantage of the Elite perks on Princess and HAL is a flat rate for the week. On Carnival and Disney I do laundry every 3rd day.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

One thing to consider is the washers and dryers are industrial strength so we found some clothes didn't survive. A wash bag or pillow case for delicate items will be packed next time so I don't get in trouble again.

Depends on the length of the cruise.

Under say 5 days no way I’ll do laundry, over 15 we will definitely do some. In between it will vary, sometimes do a load, other times pack enough.

On out 34 night cruise we probably packed the lightest we ever have and washed roughly every 5 or 6 days.

Are these also always available to purchase onboard?

As far as I know they are. I suppose the machines could run out or something.

I just bring a couple of the wash sheets and a couple of dryer sheets. Cheaper and pack easily.

It's really sad when your choice of cabin is one close to the launderette. Undies, T shirts, polo shirts, all get done. Into washer wearing robe after steward brings tea. Shower and dressed in time for the dryer, then breakfast and it's all done. I'm actually elite but don't use free service due to an unfortunate incident with one of DH's dress shirts.

Just to confirm I'm always on time, never, ever leave clothes in completed cycle machine.

I must be a pathetic person, but trailing round heavy luggage no longer appeals.