One parent, one kid; dining questions

LMaxwell

Taking my son on a boys only weekend cruise so mom can have a weekend off. Got me thinking about logistics during mealtime; how have you handled this? Sometimes difficult to find a table in windjammer, hate walking around with a plate getting cold; but can be difficult to find a table first and don't want to leave my son there alone either; out of eye sight is not an option. Is there a way to hold a table for 5 minutes such that people don't think it is vacated? What's the easiest way to manage this?

How old is your son?

You could try eating at slightly earlier times to avoid the crush.

Also it is possible to eat in the sit down dinning room.

Some people will put books or magazines on the table to hold them, but technically there is no reserving tables, so you could still find people sitting in your seat.

Another option would be to use room service, but you wouldn't get the selection of the the buffet.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

Fill two drinks (Ice Tea, etc) and get the napkins/silverware and place it on the table. You have a pretty good chance of no one removing them. How old is your child? Will you have a stroller you can leave at the table, or perhaps a toy?

He is 3. Yes, I do plan to bring an umbrella stroller. Good idea on getting drinks and silverware to set a place, leave the stroller there, and go back for food.

How old is your son?

You could try eating at slightly earlier times to avoid the crush.

Also it is possible to eat in the sit down dinning room.

Some people will put books or magazines on the table to hold them, but technically there is no reserving tables, so you could still find people sitting in your seat.

Another option would be to use room service, but you wouldn't get the selection of the the buffet.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately on the weekend cruises I don't think the dining room is open for lunch. Breakfast in MDR is hit or miss; sometimes prompt, other times it is very long and drawn out. It's an option to try. I doubt we'll go to the MDR for dinner.

Room service continental breakfast might work; we can get yogurt, fruit, muffins, but I flat refuse to pay for anything on the RS menu after that.

I'll try bringing some books to leave on the table along with the stroller; that was a good idea. I'd never touch anyone else's stroller so maybe that's the ticket.

Taking my son on a boys only weekend cruise so mom can have a weekend off. Got me thinking about logistics during mealtime; how have you handled this? Sometimes difficult to find a table in windjammer, hate walking around with a plate getting cold; but can be difficult to find a table first and don't want to leave my son there alone either; out of eye sight is not an option. Is there a way to hold a table for 5 minutes such that people don't think it is vacated? What's the easiest way to manage this?

I think you are overthinking this. I do it all the time, with a disabled wife. Never really had issues find tables. Always manage to carry two plates at a time, and with a 3 year old, and pushing a stroller, you really only need one plate, with food on it, and one empty, until you sit down. Most of the time, someone will also just help you.

Single cruisers face this same problem all the time. I usually try to find a table close to a service area or where I see a couple of staff members. I tell them I am solo and put down napkin, perhaps extra plate, magazine, etc and tell them I am going for food - don't clear table - works fine. Also if I see a couple of passengers close by - do the same thing - most people are very friendly and helpful. Staff will also assist if you are trying to hold a child, carry food, or handle stroller.

...What's the easiest way to manage this?

I have found the staff incredibly helpful and engaging with kids. You could always ask one of the employees around the Windjammer if they could help either hold the table, help you with the plates, etc. I would say they could also watch your son, but at that age, I know my daughter would not have tolerated being left with a stranger, especially while hungry :)

Alternatively, if you have a sippy cup or kids water bottle and leave it on the table, it would be less likely to get moved than just a regular buffet cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with a couple of silverware bundles and a sippy cup. We always find a table before we get our food in the WJ. We have never had our unopened silverware bundles and two drinks to be cleared from the table. . . or anyone to take the table. Of course, we are back in 1-2 minutes with our food.

Another option is to get a highchair/booster seat to set at the table with the above. It would be pretty clear that there is a child sitting here. :D

This is fabulous of you to do this. I know too many dads who wouldn't or couldn't. Enjoy your boys only time.

Before our daughter started sailing with us on some of our cruises, we would have one of us stay at the table, but you will not be able to do that but also suggest asking people at an adjacent table if they could watch yours while you get food. Other times if the WJ is very crowded, we have asked if we may join someone at theirs.

What we have done in the past which has worked is fill up a glass or two of drink, then go find a table. Put your drinks on the table and we have also left certain items on the table such as a jacket over the chair or sunglasses left on the table too. Not that I would leave expensive ones but usually my cheap ones and the table has always stayed vacant.

However, if you use the MDR you don't have to worry about this. I guess it depends on which you and your little boy prefer. Equally maybe eat before the big rush?

I've been doing an annual cruise with my niece since she was 2. Never bothered with a stroller in the buffet restaurant as its too crowded. I do carry a bag with some stuff I wasn't worried about that I would leave at a table along with silverware. I found the staff were very helpful. They'd offer to hold a plate while I chose our food. They would bring drinks over for us. They even offered to sit at the table with her while I went and got some food. Mind you she was never out of my sight as I chose our tables very strategically.

He is 3. Yes, I do plan to bring an umbrella stroller. Good idea on getting drinks and silverware to set a place, leave the stroller there, and go back for food.

Unfortunately on the weekend cruises I don't think the dining room is open for lunch. Breakfast in MDR is hit or miss; sometimes prompt, other times it is very long and drawn out. It's an option to try. I doubt we'll go to the MDR for dinner.

Room service continental breakfast might work; we can get yogurt, fruit, muffins, but I flat refuse to pay for anything on the RS menu after that.

I'll try bringing some books to leave on the table along with the stroller; that was a good idea. I'd never touch anyone else's stroller so maybe that's the ticket.

You will be fine. As single Father raising 3 by myself when took my then 3, 5 and 9 yr old on multiple Cruises. Helped me as all 100% Pottie trained and never had accidents. If your's might, make sure bring those disposable bed pads. Use them for my 2yr old Grand Daughter when traveling... Went ashore every port, older kids always enjoyed kids program every cruise. Wee One even when old enough stayed with me watching show's, we'd sit in Balcony. She was always well behaved, only about 50/50 she'd go to kids program...

Come's to mind this is Sept 10, we came back from their first cruise on Sep 10, 2001, kids first day back in school was 9/11

Edited by ONECRUISER