Cozumel

T-town cruiser

Cozumel is one of my least favorite ports (second only to Nassau).  We just got back from Paradise to Cuba and had a stop in Cozumel.  My kids and husband did the fish pedicures on the beach and then we browsed the shops.  We then went back and enjoyed the quiet ship and lots of beverages at the bar 🙂

We usually go to Playa Azul and go snorkeling on their beach.
Food is decent, no crowds. Water is clear and beautiful and the beer is cold.
Prices are decent as well and its a beautiful taxi ride.
Takes you just past the airport, so you get to see quite a bit of the island as you go.

Also, if you like oriental food, I suggest Chi, which is literally right across the street from the dock shops.
Big red tall building, you can't miss it.

If we were taking another Carnival cruise we would do exactly  what we did before , walk to the Money Bar . A great place with lounge chairs , excellent snorkeling , and facilities at no cost . All they ask is you order their great food and drink at excellent prices . An amazing day for less then $50 for the 2 of us . We brought our own equipment but you can rent . You can take a taxi there but we loved the 25 minute walk . 

If you want to snorkel, go to the Money Bar.  (We thought the snorkeling was good.)

If you want to relax on a beach, go to Paradise Beach.  Admission is only $3 per person and while the FAQs say you are expected to spend an additional $10 per person, they don't hassle you to do so.  (We bought some snacks, but not $40 worth for our family of 4.)  There are taxis at the pier with a fixed price to Paradise Beach (around $15 as I recall) and there are plenty of taxis waiting there to take you back to  the ship at the end of the afternoon.  http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/faq-page/

18 minutes ago, richstowe said:

If we were taking another Carnival cruise we would do exactly  what we did before , walk to the Money Bar . A great place with lounge chairs , excellent snorkeling , and facilities at no cost . All they ask is you order their great food and drink at excellent prices . An amazing day for less then $50 for the 2 of us . We brought our own equipment but you can rent . You can take a taxi there but we loved the 25 minute walk . 

Don’t other cruise lines stop in Cozumel anymore?

Op, another option would be to take ferry or playa del carmen and spend time there.  Another option is to get a taxi to take you over to the Atlantic side, some nice beaches and rustic bars.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Don’t other cruise lines stop in Cozumel anymore?

Op, another option would be to take ferry or playa del carmen and spend time there.  Another option is to get a taxi to take you over to the Atlantic side, some nice beaches and rustic bars.

Hardy har . 😛

Because the Carnival terminal is the closest to the Money Bar it is a reasonable walk .

Otherwise it would be better to take a cab . 

We do not do all inclusive as we have Cheers and our ship is an all inclusive resort. There is no way we would spend $100.+ dollars for a couple of tacos and a few beers. Cozumel is awesome, many great beaches and snorkeling.

5 hours ago, sb4ever said:

Cozumel is one of my least favorite ports (second only to Nassau).  We just got back from Paradise to Cuba and had a stop in Cozumel.  My kids and husband did the fish pedicures on the beach and then we browsed the shops.  We then went back and enjoyed the quiet ship and lots of beverages at the bar 🙂

That didn't take long

People will crap all over any port that is "common". Cozumel is touristy, but a fantastic port. So much to do. Last time I rented a moped and went to paradise, which I thought was overrated and Chankanaab, which I thought was underrated. Next time I will be going to Mr Sanchos.

• Like 2

I was looking for something different. Been to Cozumel on cruises & land vacations. Latest was in Feb. 2018.  Since I'm by myself this time ..... I just booked Kao Kao chocolate factory tour! 😳🤗  COST:  $25, about $20 in taxi r/t, 2 hour tour.  History, processing, great reviews too! OH & Chocolate samples. 

Just putting it out there ..... Mmmmmm... Chocolate 🍫!!

🌸🌸 Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18

We actually enjoy a day here, we have done just about everything having been there so often so now we just take a cab down to Ponchos backyard (not one at the port) have lunch and then walk back towards Senior Frogs doing a little shopping and having drinks along the way. Catch a cab back at Senior Frogs. Just a nice semi quiet day

14 hours ago, sb4ever said:

Cozumel is one of my least favorite ports (second only to Nassau).  🙂

True. Nassau and Cozumel are overrun with tourists in the areas closest to the port, and that would also make me feel the same way as you. But, if you venture beyond the overcrowded tourist traps, Cozumel is actually an absolutely fantastic destination. From the blissfully crowd free east side, with jaw droppingly beautiful beaches like Chen-Rio, the Mayan archaeological site of San Gervasio, and the views from Punta Sur, Cozumel is so much more than the shops and bars along the town of San Miguel. 

Both Nassau and Cozumel used to be far down my list of cruise ship destinations, but once I decided to do some research and venture farther out, I don’t feel the same way anymore. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, T-town cruiser said:

What would you recommend to do in Cozumel if you are not doing and excursion?

I would never do an excursion on Cozumel, it is too easy to do on your own to pay a premium to the cruise line.

Cozumel is an island, so obviously most of the activities revolve around the beach and water. There is a beach club for eveyone, from large to small, paygo to all inclusive.  You can swim with dolphins, snorkel, drive keeps on tour, etc.  What are you interested in? :classic_wacko:

I just recently return from a cruise with a stop in Cozumel.  May I suggest the Cozumel food tour?

It was a great experience enjoy local food in various places.  Also not a long all day tour where you can enjoy Cozumel a bit more.

Here are a few photos from my tour

1207181211a.jpg

1207181108.jpg

1207181051.jpg

If you are tired of beach time, are an animal lover, and want to do something a little different, the Humane Society of Cozumel is within walking distance of the Puerta Maya and International cruise terminals.  The people who work there are warm and welcoming and it is fun to go visit and help with things like socializing the animals or taking them for walks.  On one of our visits, they were doing a spay/neuter clinic, and we were able to help monitor the animals as they woke up from their anesthesia.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/13/2019 at 7:41 AM, dbrucern said:

We actually enjoy a day here, we have done just about everything having been there so often so now we just take a cab down to Ponchos backyard (not one at the port) have lunch and then walk back towards Senior Frogs doing a little shopping and having drinks along the way. Catch a cab back at Senior Frogs. Just a nice semi quiet day

Hi, when you say a little shopping and drinks along the way I perk up? Tell me more please, what kind of shopping? Is this area considered town? I keep reading references to town for better shopping. And last is it safe? I’m traveling with my mom and she is staying on the ship that day so it will just be me. Not that she is a ninja or something😆😆

Thank you

Elizabeth