Price of suites

rollie

Is just me, or has anyone else been priced out of the suite class since Celebrities Revolution?  We were very fortunate to get our very first suite this past December, and really loved everything about it.  Since the revolution though, the price of suites has gone way past what we can afford.  I guess this might be Celebrities way of keeping the rif-raf out.

Rollie

• Like 3

I'm right with you.   

I've been looking at cruises over the last few days.  Only the Edge and Apex are the only two 7 day ships leaving out of Florida for the dates I need.  S3 for 7 days?  $7620, skimpy balcony furniture and all.  Royal is doing the same thing though...$7123 for a GS on Allure.  It's simply not worth it and I'm not about to pay it.  

Same time MSC YC deluxe suite, $5019 on Meraviglia.  

So does anyone think an S3 on the Edge is worth $2600 more than a YC DS on MSC? 

Even Carnival's Excel corner suite with Area 19 access is looking pretty good at $5573. 

Also there's HA NS at $5500 that will have the large balcony, nice table, and nice balcony furniture.  

I feel your pain. We have a certain max price point and it used to be pretty easy to book a Sky Suite and even an occasional CS on X  within that price range. Now we have one suite booked on a non-revolutionized ship, but otherwise we will be in verandas or AQ. We will still have amazing cruises, I'm sure, and will have fun exploring new builds and refurbished ships. The Sky Suites are not selling well on some of our cruises so will watch out for Move Up options. If that doesn't happen, we are happy with our cabin choices and prices.

I expect that X needs to recoup the billions they are putting into new builds and  refurbishments (and the suite life is an improved product with sundecks so cost should increase some), though I hope the dust settles at some point. In the meantime, we still enjoy the product and will book what we are comfortable booking price-wise and maybe splurge for a special occasion. 🙂

57 minutes ago, rollie said:

Is just me, or has anyone else been priced out of the suite class since Celebrities Revolution?  We were very fortunate to get our very first suite this past December, and really loved everything about it.  Since the revolution though, the price of suites has gone way past what we can afford.  I guess this might be Celebrities way of keeping the rif-raf out.

Rollie

I think they would welcome the rif-raf as long as they had cash to spend!

We are finding the Caribbean a bit more expensive but the Mediterranean ridiculously so...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rollie said:

Rollie

Are you saying that you identify yourself as rif-raf??  LOL!  Definitely agree that suites have become very high priced almost across all ships.  E-Class suites are ridiculous in price.   I have sailed suites and non-suites.  People are people.  Mostly great experiences meeting people on our cruises in either category.  But also some that you might consider rif -raf too.  In either category.  Price of a suite does not reflect human behavior, manners, and respect for other passengers and crew,  one way or another. 

1 hour ago, rollie said:

Rollie

Agree completely, unfortunately.  Suite prices have gone crazy.  We are booked in AQUA for a 14 night cruise in Japan in 2021 because the Sky Suites(S2) are OVER $11,000.00 per person.  In a room with only a chair, no love seat/sofa.   Can't imagine paying those kind of $$ for one of the small S2's on an M class ship... for that matter $5,000 for Aqua is crazy too....we are actually looking for something land based there instead.

I guess if X can sell them at that price then more power to them, we won't spend that kind of money especially when there are other options on other lines available.  We've booked our next 3 trips with Princess in full suites at much less cost.

• Like 1

It is not that we cannot afford it but rather getting better value for our travel dollars.  It isn’t just the suites but every category.  When the price of cruising  gets to be more than $500/day we can stay in a decent hotel, have nice meals and see more of the area for less.  I don’t need a full breakfast, buffet,  3 or 4 course dinner,  same old entertainment and unlimited drinks every day to enjoy traveling 

I know there are those cheap bargains but those bargains are there for a reason and occasionally we have taken advantage of them but it isn’t a deal unless I can make use of it and most times we can’t.  

We have 6 more cruises booked and all of them have increased at least 30% since we booked with less perks and from what I have been reading things that were listed as amenities eliminated.   Depending on the next few cruises we may cancel the last ones. That isn’t a threat to X as I am sure they wish we would so they could find some newbie willing to pay more. 

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 2

I agree that the suites have increased dramatically.  With that said, we still book the Royal Suite because we like them.  Perhaps there will be a day when we decide they aren't cluck for the buck.😢

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

I'm right with you.   

I've been looking at cruises over the last few days.  Only the Edge and Apex are the only two 7 day ships leaving out of Florida for the dates I need.  S3 for 7 days?  $7620, skimpy balcony furniture and all.  Royal is doing the same thing though...$7123 for a GS on Allure.  It's simply not worth it and I'm not about to pay it.  

Same time MSC YC deluxe suite, $5019 on Meraviglia.  

So does anyone think an S3 on the Edge is worth $2600 more than a YC DS on MSC? 

Even Carnival's Excel corner suite with Area 19 access is looking pretty good at $5573. 

Also there's HA NS at $5500 that will have the large balcony, nice table, and nice balcony furniture.  

You cannot compare these lines to Celebrity pricewise.

How often do you see regular balcony rooms for $600 pp on X? The don't compete with premium massmarket Celebrity. Only with RCCL, NCL and such.

Edited by Tatka

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

You cannot compare these lines to Celebrity pricewise.

How often do you see regular balcony rooms for $600 pp on X? The don't compete with premium massmarket Celebrity. Only with RCCL, NCL and such.

They're talking Yacht Club. by most reports, they don't just compete, they blow Celebrity Suites out of the water.

Edited by Cruise Junky
  • Like 3

I haven't read great reviews about MSC in general on cruise critic.  I would suggest you consider the move up program with Celebrity.  As an alternative the Oasis class Royal ships are great- try a Junior suite.

Edited by Cruise a holic

12 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

I haven't read great reviews about MSC in general on cruise critic.  I would suggest you consider the move up program with Celebrity.  As an alternative the Oasis class Royal ships are great- try a Junior suite.

Since we are talking only about Yacht Club here (suites) I've seen virtually nothing but high marks for YC on here.  And, our family absolutely loves them (and they have done 80+ sailings on 15 different lines all over the world).

• Like 2

All cruise lines are increasing there price. A few as Celebrity is trying. How much will the market bare. Cruised on the EDGE just after it arrived in Florida. Would not take same cruise now. $2,000.00 more than what I paid then. That was for an OV cabin. I can only imagine what a suite is. A few years ago we did a suite for our 50th. It was very nice and beautiful. Only problem. We were never in it for anything but to change or sleep. Lots of room and super nice bath rooms.

Last year we did a Grand Suite on the Allure and a Yacht Club Deluxe suite on MSC Seaside. We are doing the Seaside again in October. They were all 14 days and when we did the pricing, they were all cheaper than a seven day cruise on Celebrity, in a Sky Suite. Pricing for all have changed, not positively.

The Allure didn't include a drink package, but did include prepaid gratuities, internet and $200 obc. We aren't big drinkers so the three drinks loaded to our card plus beer, wine, and soda being available 11am to 11pm was more than adequate. The food in the Coastal Kitchen was very good, in our opinion much better than the MDR and Blu and MDR on Celebrity. If that isn't good enough, the package for seven days, in the specialty restaurants was $168 per person. ($24 p.p. per day).

The Seaside included the internet, $300 obc, and the deluxe drink package which included the minibar. It didn't include the gratuities which were $12 p.p. per day. The obc from the travel agency covered that plus a little left over. The food in the suite dining room was very good, but not over the top. The service was good but the staff wasn't engaging like the other lines we've been on. The suite areas were over the top as well as the ship. Outside the suite areas it felt a little crowded though.

Back to Celebrity... I just can't imagine what they could offer that would make me want to pay a big premium (well over $100 p.p. per day), especially since we don't leave the house for less than fourteen days.

Comparing current pricing on all lines lately I think after October our cruising days will be over unless things change. 48 cruises with 482 days at sea is a good spot to end.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rollie said:

Rollie

Hi Rollie!  I agree, suite prices are climbing.  Forget those two new ships, the prices are simply outrageous.  There are bargains to be had, however.  Since you live in Florida and can drive to the port, you can grab last minute deals.  I recently scored a SS on the Equinox in August.  Or you can try MSC Yacht Club on the Seaside, although those prices are escalating as well.  Their suite experience is far better than Celebrity's with the exception of food, which is pretty ordinary.  They really get the ship within a ship concept.  Celebrity is struggling with that.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

They're talking Yacht Club. by most reports, they don't just compete, they blow Celebrity Suites out of the water.

I've sailed in MSC balconies and they are also can be more interesting than Celebrity balconies. However it is whole ship that counts. That's why people pay more to cruise Celebrity. Of course that is if they are looking for certain atmosphere overall.

But if MSC suites cost less and Yacht club (or Haven on NCL) is enough then people will just cross over to those lines.

They will charge want hey can for as long as they can Remember, they are a for profit business and owe a maximum return to shareholders.. They need to pay off a rather steep debt created by new builds and renovations. At this time I have only one future Celebrity cruise booked and 2 Crystal cruises booked. I still love the Celebrity product, but the price differences have narrowed between Celebrity and selected cruises on Crystal. I have noticed several long time Celebrity posters now posting on the Crystal board.

Edited by Orator
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, rollie said:

Rollie

I understand Celebrity has to pay for these high end renovations, but, yes, the prices are ridiculous IMO.

We love sky suites, and find once you are spoiled (especially with Luminae), it's hard to go back to a regular cabin.

We are trying Crystal for the first time in November. I still love Celebrity, but the pricing is too high (for now anyway) and trying something new is very appealing.

Edited by yvonneh

10 minutes ago, yvonneh said:

I understand Celebrity has to pay for these high end renovations, but, yes, the prices are ridiculous IMO.

We love sky suites, and find once you are spoiled (especially with Luminae), it's hard to go back to a regular cabin.

We are trying Crystal for the first time in November. I still love Celebrity, but the pricing is too high (for now anyway) and trying something new is very appealing.

Enjoy Crystal it is amazing👍👍👍

Prices aren't really "ridiculous"if enough people are willing to pay them and that appears to be the case. Now, neither you and I are willing to pay them and it will take more to balk before prices go down. Simply the law of supply and demand. I'll be aboard Serenity November 24th and December 6th.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Agree completely, unfortunately.  Suite prices have gone crazy.  We are booked in AQUA for a 14 night cruise in Japan in 2021 because the Sky Suites(S2) are OVER $11,000.00 per person.  In a room with only a chair, no love seat/sofa.   Can't imagine paying those kind of $$ for one of the small S2's on an M class ship... for that matter $5,000 for Aqua is crazy too....we are actually looking for something land based there instead.

I guess if X can sell them at that price then more power to them, we won't spend that kind of money especially when there are other options on other lines available.  We've booked our next 3 trips with Princess in full suites at much less cost.

You're right regarding the $11K price tag for a S2 on the Japan leg. We're on the same 14 day Best of Japan cruise and decided to book a C2 with 2 perks for $4,449 pp, then spoil ourselves in a S2 on the 15 day Bering Strait transpacific cruise which follows it for only $5,049 with all 4 perks. Initially it was $8K for a S2 on the Japan leg, but I guess it's a pretty popular cruise and the price starting climbing after a few months.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

7 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You're right regarding the $11K price tag for a S2 on the Japan leg. We're on the same 14 day Best of Japan cruise and decided to book a C2 with 2 perks for $4,449 pp, then spoil ourselves in a S2 on the 15 day Bering Strait transpacific cruise which follows it for only $5,049 with all 4 perks. Initially it was $8K for a S2 on the Japan leg, but I guess it's a pretty popular cruise and the price starting climbing after a few months.

And we decided to splurge on a CS for the TP portion of that trip.  About $1000 more than the S2 when we booked it. I think that's worth the price, but no way $11,000 for an S2 for the 14 day before it....no matter how beautiful the cherry blossoms!!!!:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rollie said:

Rollie