International Cafe

majortom10

If you are so upset about people playing games on tables, maybe asking Princess to reinstate game rooms on their ships would be more beneficial than just whining about others...jusr saying ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Laughing at this...does anyone spend anytime at Starbucks? There are folks who work there study there and hang out all day every day and maybe have purchased a little baby beverage one time during the day. It is expected not rude not alway perfect for me but it is what it is...

• Like 3

We encountered this problem on a Diamond cruise last year out of Sydney even though there isn't an IC on that ship, just a bar serving coffees. It was always very crowded (us Auss iue love our espresso-based coffees) and usually impossible to get a seat to order espressos, and neither of us likes them served in takeaway cups. Then we discovered Crooners was also operating as an espresso bar during the day AND they made better espressos. That solved that problem for that cruise at least.

It's not just a problem on Princess ships though. We've done a few Celebrity cruises and the Cafe Bacio tables are often hogged by people just sitting there reading for long periods of time, or even sleeping.

We regard cafe areas on ships just as we do cafes on land - we have our coffees and relax for a bit, sometimes we read for a few minutes, then we move on to free up the table.

21 minutes ago, tobyt said:

Laughing at this...does anyone spend anytime at Starbucks? There are folks who work there study there and hang out all day every day and maybe have purchased a little baby beverage one time during the day. It is expected not rude not alway perfect for me but it is what it is...

Exactly! And really that’s true of pretty much all similar types of coffee houses. Let’s face it - in all the years of watching “Friends” when they were hanging out at “Central Perk” for hours, how often were they actually drinking/eating? Haha! I know that’s a silly reference - but seriously, all areas of the Piazza including those adjacent to the IC and the bar/coffee service are gathering places for people to enjoy and visit. It’s nothing to get so worked up about. 

1 hour ago, aimee0715 said:

OP specifically mentioned the sitting area adjacent to the IC and not the entire piazza.  The word "piazza" does not even appear in the post.  OP is saying that people who are not eating or drinking should not take up the tables in the IC seating area.  Apparently, based on your comment you agree with that so not sure why you would laugh out loud reading OP's post?  

It is a pet peeve of mine also that people hang out in that area.  I think the waiters should ask them every 10 minutes or so if they would like to order something...

And you want to subject the waiters to the results of constantly asking people if they would like to order something?  That in itself would cause so many bad reactions that there would have to be a permanent security group in that area. WOW as if waiters do not have enough to do they now get to harass paying customers to keep other paying customers happy. Not gonna happen. 

6 hours ago, Sailfly said:

The Golden Rule is no longer recognized by these people. The other night at a small restaurant we were waiting for a table to open up so that we could have dinner. We waited over an hour. We thought that it would be a short wait because the hostess pointed  to a table and told us they had finished their meal and we would be seated at their table shortly. It was obvious that we were waiting for them to leave to be able to sit down and eat. These people sat there for over an hour talking while we waited. They did not have drinks, so it was not like they were buying anything else. I guess I am too courteous-I would never sit and linger in the International Cafe, as described above, in a million years.

Very interesting thread . And it does remind me of the tiresome chair hog discussions . In the above situation , maybe the restaurant is at fault . I know no waiter wants to endanger their tip by pushing people out but in this restaurant , and with chair hogs and at the International Cafe , perhaps some effort by staff could be made to move the lingerers .  

I don't agree but love this line by Floater Boat , "This thread reeks of entitlement, disguised at etiquitte"

Edited by richstowe

Depending upon the ship the IC overlaps the Piazza Bar (the name varies by ship but the design is pretty consistent on the Grand class ships), there is also over lap with the chairs and coffee table type seats.  What I believe the original poster was referring to as the IC seats are actually in the bar area.  The IC does not usually  have a defined set of seats.  

So if one wants to preserve a set of seats near the IC for a specific function, then does it mean that those getting things from the IC should be banned from using the seats for those that are in the Piazza to watch events, or be forced out of Vines during the day.  Once the bar opens should the space the original poster referred to as having coffee menus on them, (usually in the bar area) be restricted to only those that are actually ordering drinks from that bar and the IC food and coffee patrons should be banned?

If those seats should be reserved for IC patrons should the serving staff there be informed that they should only take orders in that area, instead of the entire Piazza area?

Bottom line is that space serves multiple uses and the space is pretty interchangeable.  As such it is available for whatever use a paying passenger wishes as long as it is not banned by the cruise line.  If that is watching events, meeting people, reading, drinking coffee, that is up to them, until such a time as the cruise line wishes to define specific approved and forbidden uses.  Don't hold your breath.

While one might wish for more seating was available, one can usually find a seat somewhere in the Piazza area. 

Edited by npcl

I wonder why the people complaining there are no places to sit while holding their items did not see if there were any available ones before they got the items?  Then they would have known the situation they would encounter.  Sorry but the me first is out in force in this discussion.

Personally I find those tables adjacent from the IC to be in a much too crowded area. something about people on top of me while I'm enjoying a snack or whatever it may be that you're doing there. I'd much rather sit somewhere where there's a bunch of tables where there is no line building up on top of me, courtesy of the coffee bar or the cafe itself. Which is why I usually choose to Piazza area or Vines. And there are plenty of times I'll just take my snack upstairs buy the princess live outside or by the explorer's lounge on the sofas over there. Lots of seating options throughout the ship. Like I said earlier, no fuss really needed, as long as I can plop down somewhere within the 19 decks on board this ship to nibble, read or just simply people watch I'm good. as I always tell people in life a cruise or vacation is what you make it to be. So if you find something negative, find a way turn it into a positive. 

• Like 1

I expect people to be using chairs to watch/listen to the Piazza entertainment.

What annoys me is that Princess has begun to automatically give their coffee in paper to-go cups.

I prefer my brewed coffee in a ceramic pot with a cup and saucer.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, roomba920 said:

What annoys me is that Princess has begun to automatically give their coffee in paper to-go cups.

I'm not a coffee drinker so this is a question of curiosity.  Can't you ask that your coffee be served in a cup and saucer? As far as a "ceramic pot" I don't know when I've seen one of those in a commercial coffee establishment but, again, I'm not a coffee person.

Tom

29 minutes ago, roomba920 said:

Have never seen that anywhere on a Princess ship.  Good luck on getting that done.

I don't swim or use the pool so am I not supposed to use a lounger to read there?

I don't play trivia but like to sit and watch in the explorer lounge, is that ok?

I don't drink but like to sit and listen to the pianist at the bar is that ok?

I don't care what other peope do or where they sit, it's their vacation too.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I don't swim or use the pool so am I not supposed to use a lounger to read there?

I don't play trivia but like to sit and watch in the explorer lounge, is that ok?

What a silly answer you wouldnt expect to be let go in a coffee shop in Los Angeles and sit there reading or people watching without purchasing a coffee they would soon ask you to leave so why do you think it is OK to sit in the area of IC designed for those wanting to sit and purchase a coffee.

42 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Of course you can, but I also understand the OP's wanting to have a table to put his bowl of soup and a sandwich on so he can eat it.   The IC is a food facility, so it stands to reason that those who get food there would like a place to eat it.

• Like 4

Sory would never buy and drink whether it eb tea or coffee to go and drink it out of a cardboard cup cannot think of anything worse and that is why we like to sit in the area next too IC (not the rest of the Piazza) and purchase a coffee in a ceramic cup which is served by waiting staff.

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

What a silly answer you wouldnt expect to be let go in a coffee shop in Los Angeles and sit there reading or people watching without purchasing a coffee they would soon ask you to leave so why do you think it is OK to sit in the area of IC designed for those wanting to sit and purchase a coffee.

Perhaps I already got some coffee or pastry and I have finished it and am relaxing. By your logic, no one can go sit in the Wheelhouse Bar or Crooners or Skywalkers because they have menus for drinks on the tables. 

Your logic is way faulty.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

That is 100% false.  People literally take their laptops to starbucks and panera breads and tim horton's and spend hours there without buying anything.  Just using the free wi-fi.  They may have a cup of water.

• Like 1

I agree with OP.  We always try to be considerate of other people.  If a place is not crowded and there are empty seats then we might linger a while.  If a place is busy then when we are through we get up and leave.  I really am surprised that the majority on here seem to think it is ok to just sit at a table while not eating when people are trying to find a place to sit and eat.  Luckily I personally have not found this to be an issue.  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, FloaterBoat said:

That is 100% false.  People literally take their laptops to starbucks and panera breads and tim horton's and spend hours there without buying anything.  Just using the free wi-fi.  They may have a cup of water.

I agree and it is terrible.  How can a business continue to operate if they are not selling anything?  I guess that is their problem and not ours.  I suppose if everyone did it and it was so packed with freeloaders they would have to charge to sit and/or charge for wi-fi.  Which I agree would be ridiculous or maybe not?  It is a bit different for the cruise, because we've all paid to be on the cruise and "on" is anywhere open to the public.  While I do agree technically people are allowed to do this, it's not a first world problem nor entitlement to want to find a seat to sit and there is not opportunity to wait for one in a queue.  Perhaps they should do what they do for the premium restaurants?  Require a sitting fee and seat by host/hostess. Yes, it has become this popular! I for one would be totally willing to spend an extra $5 per entry, just to get rid of the freeloaders.  Princess if you're listening -- please make the IC a speciality restaurant.  If we can't police ourselves, perhaps Princess can do it.

Has anyone ever done a poll to see if this is an issue?  I know of the many times that I have visited the IC only twice has there been seating for two available.  So I think there is some kind of problem here.  If it really bothers you maybe a poll would help quantify it?

• Haha 1

The Starbucks analogy does not work. You did not pay thousands of dollars to enter a Starbucks. It is free to sit in Starbucks.  You paid thousands of dollars to enjoy your cruise. I do not understand why some people want to deny the logic that people with food need a place to sit and eat it. One cannot eat standing up very easily.  People just hanging out or playing games don't NEED to be in a food venue.  They can be anywhere.  So why not let the seats for those who want to eat, if it is at a crowded time?  Of course people will linger a few minutes when they're done, that is normal. Use the etiquette you would in a dining room. When you're done, don't hang around forever while no longer consuming food and beverages if people are waiting for tables.  This is just common sense. If everyone on a cruise of thousands decides not to have any consideration for their fellow passengers, then it would be a pretty unpleasant cruise. It's the people who have the courtesy that make life livable.  I for one always try to be that way in life, wherever I am and especially on a crowded place like a cruise where we are all squeezed in and need to try and get along and share limited resources.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Sory would never buy and drink whether it eb tea or coffee to go and drink it out of a cardboard cup cannot think of anything worse and that is why we like to sit in the area next too IC (not the rest of the Piazza) and purchase a coffee in a ceramic cup which is served by waiting staff.

Sounds like your bigger issue is that you only want to drink out of a ceramic cup and if you are not seated you will get a paper cup. Two very simple choices - take a ceramic cup in your suitcase or walk up to the Horizon Court and get an empty cup from there. A whole lot less angst if you take the initiative to solve your own problem.

21 hours ago, Potstech said:

Sorry do not buy the idea that sitting in an area the venue allows and not moving is bad manners. Yes it says a lot about me, my manners and my attitude. Fortunately it is the way I am and if it bothers you then that is your problem.  Keep on expecting others to placate you and your ideas as you will continue to be disappointed.

I sure hope I don't spill my soup while juggling my hot coffee while standing between the chairs at your table waiting for you to leave ..

oh, wait .:classic_ninja:..

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

The Starbucks analogy does not work. You did not pay thousands of dollars to enter a Starbucks. It is free to sit in Starbucks.  You paid thousands of dollars to enjoy your cruise. I do not understand why some people want to deny the logic that people with food need a place to sit and eat it. One cannot eat standing up very easily.  People just hanging out or playing games don't NEED to be in a food venue.  They can be anywhere.  So why not let the seats for those who want to eat, if it is at a crowded time?  Of course people will linger a few minutes when they're done, that is normal. Use the etiquette you would in a dining room. When you're done, don't hang around forever while no longer consuming food and beverages if people are waiting for tables.  This is just common sense. If everyone on a cruise of thousands decides not to have any consideration for their fellow passengers, then it would be a pretty unpleasant cruise. It's the people who have the courtesy that make life livable.  I for one always try to be that way in life, wherever I am and especially on a crowded place like a cruise where we are all squeezed in and need to try and get along and share limited resources.

By your logic....Did we both pay thousands of dollars, or just the folks looking for seats to sit down at IC?  If the people sitting playing games or reading, ALSO paid thousands of dollars to enjoy their cruise...how then are they wrong in taking advantage of the freedoms afforded to them? No one is denying that people need seating to consume their food....the debate is whether people that spent the same money are able to sit wherever they want...and they can.   We are not squeezed into a cruise lol, this isn't a city bus, it's not cramped.  There are literally thousands of places to sit and consume your cheese sandwiches or whatever.