Has anyone tried Moderno on the Escape? Is it worth the $46pp??

DimSum

We love Moderno's and can't imagine not going there on any NCL cruise. But of course we do not have a Brazilian steak house in our area, so it is our chance to enjoy a variety of meats and a fantastic salad bar. Some people have commented the meat isn't cooked to their liking, we have always let them know early on how we like our meat cooked. Others have mentioned the meat is too salty, that is a matter of opinion I guess. So there is not a right answer to your question. It is a matter of how you like your meat and how much you like it? We do always take it on the dining package or use our platinum plus certificate. For us, our 2 favorite dining places on any NCL ship has to be: Le Bistro first and Modernos second. 

NO !!    We were just on Escape a few weeks ago and did Moderno.  No way is it worth that!   We did it on our meal package.    The salad bar was very nice, but the meats were just OK.

The beef  was all too rare for our taste, so when I asked for something a mid more medium, it seemed like a chore to the server (or gaucho or whatever we call them)  .. he said he would come back with another and did ... like 20 minutes later.

Otherwise it was dry, very overly garlicked chicken breast, sausages and lamb.    Sides were OK but I wasn't the least bit WOW-ed by Moderno.   Very pretty place ..  but $48?   No way.

• Like 2

Haven’t done it on Escape, but my answer would be it depends.  Going rate for Brazilian Steakhouse where I am is $45-50/pp, so the cost is consistent.  If I didn’t have free at sea and platinum perks, I wouldn’t pay that cost though - much cheaper with a dinner package than.  I don’t think the quality on the ships is as good as land based chains (Texas de Brazil, fogo, etc), but if you have never done one before, i would definitely use one of your dinner package nights there.  Just don’t eat much that day before you go 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F27TW said:

NO !!    We were just on Escape a few weeks ago and did Moderno.  No way is it worth that!   We did it on our meal package.    The salad bar was very nice, but the meats were just OK.

The beef  was all too rare for our taste, so when I asked for something a mid more medium, it seemed like a chore to the server (or gaucho or whatever we call them)  .. he said he would come back with another and did ... like 20 minutes later.

Otherwise it was dry, very overly garlicked chicken breast, sausages and lamb.    Sides were OK but I wasn't the least bit WOW-ed by Moderno.   Very pretty place ..  but $48?   No way.

I have to agree...I was on the 9/1 sailing and the service at Moderno was terrible....I don't even think we were offered all of the meats...usually they "over-serve" you, but this time we had to keep looking for the servers...it was part of our dining package, but I was disappointed in the experience 😞

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mike_DeA said:

I would never pay out of pocket for any of the specialty restaurants, especially after the recent price increases.  I would only use them under a dining package or now that I've reached Platinum and get two free meals.

Agreed.  All food taste is subjective.  In my opinion, when there are so many choices that are free it doesn't make sense to pay that much for a specialty.  They should have just made them a small upcharge. 

3 hours ago, F27TW said:

I agree is not worth 46 dollars. We go there and like it because we get the free dinner voucher as Platinum plus but it went from 29.99 to 46 dollars and definitely not worth paying that. I happen to like medium rare, but some of the meats at MODERNO just MUUUUU and bleed to death :-)......

Edited by spanishguy1970
  • Like 3

Pix & menu: Post # 168 here - on the Escape this January ... $30 was the stanalone price w/o the 20% added, as ours has been complimentary,  

Food quality and its relative value is highly subject & personal, YMMV.  But the dollar value of that Moderno meal is "a bit" higher if you factor in a "pro-rated" costs of that MDR meal that you otherwise already paid for ... and, probably not eat that evening & the DSC already calculated in the costs.  

Here in NYC, we can find Brazilian SH to dine for the same or less, or in premium midtown tourist location, easily $75 to $100 p/p - alcohol beverages not included, of course.  

Going back a couple years, but my experience with Moderno was actually positive and ended up being one my late stepfather's favorite meals of that cruise (and we were in Haven). Service was fun, the meats were cooked to everyone's liking, and there seemed to be something for everybody at the salad bar. My group talked about the grilled pineapple for months after our cruise.

However, it sounds like experiences since then have skewed more negative. Disappointing, because we really did have a great, fun meal. 

• Like 1

my last cruise in April, moderno was still $29.99.  I had some OBC to use up, and this was perfect to spend it on.  I was disappointed that they didn't have lamb chops, but I still had a nice meal for 30 bucks.  For this new price, I would really hope the lamp chops are back on the menu.

I think the new prices are raising expectations of some super-high quality dining experiences. I was hoping NCL would raise the quality to match the new prices, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I enjoyed Moderno on the Getaway but it was a dining plan choice. If I had paid for it, the food and service were worth maybe $30 but not $46.

5 hours ago, Mike_DeA said:

I would never pay out of pocket for any of the specialty restaurants, especially after the recent price increases.  I would only use them under a dining package or now that I've reached Platinum and get two free meals.

Couldn't agree more. As Platinum Plus, it works for me.  Cash? no way Jose!

Yes, a few weeks ago on the Escape... and no regarding value. I used my platinum voucher for the meal.

I think the salad bar is pretty good as well as the pineapple but the meats can be very hit or miss. 

Edited by Bonobochick
fixed something.

I would not have paid the $30 the cost used to be never mind $46!!!    It is not worth the extra above the built into the cost of the MDR dinner in the cruise price.

We used to LOVE Moderno but like much dining on NCL it has lost its edge.  Will still use our free Latitudes voucher there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, casofilia said:

I would not have paid the $30 the cost used to be never mind $46!!!    It is not worth the extra above the built into the cost of the MDR dinner in the cruise price.

We used to LOVE Moderno but like much dining on NCL it has lost its edge.  Will still use our free Latitudes voucher there.

Ditto....would only frequent this establishment with either a platinum voucher or use one of your “free” spd’s.

A few years ago the charge was $15 and at that price point I would say it was worth a visit.

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We love a good meet fest. But, Moderno has slowly fallen off our list of restaurants with other better restaurants available. If you have never been to a Brazilian BBQ and want to try, sure. Go for it. 

Actually its a Philippino BBQ ..  those are NOT Brasilian men serving you!!  😉 

(and its really not very authentic anyway)   

Edited by F27TW
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JohnIreland said:

It's worth $46.

It's not worth $46 more than the dinner you already paid for in the MDR.

If we was going to Moderno  let's say in NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago etc I would say $40 to $50 would be ok.

It is not worth it when you can have a good to great meal in the MDR at no charge.