Advice re gentleman’s attire QM2 gala nights

bodsfanclub

Good afternoon everyone. 

I have cruised many many times but my Hubby will be taking his first cruise with me next June- July on QM2 22 day transatlantic and North America. It will be my first cruise with Cunard in 8 years. And my first time with the new Gala nights. 

Hubby has a beautiful dark blue pin stripe suit he wore to our wedding three years ago. And a black suit sadly bought for my dads funeral last year. I have for Christmas bought him two pleated front dress shirts, two bow ties and multiple shirt/tie combos and cuff links. 

I am now wondering if these will suffice for the Gala nights or should I buy him a tuxedo? To my mind the difference between his black suit and a dinner suit is negligible. His dark blue pin stripe is absolutely gorgeous and was more than posh enough for our elegant wedding three years ago. 

But - will it be de rigeur? Advice sought and appreciated please. Thank you. 

Either of the suits will be fine.

Tuxedos were most common on 'gala' / formal nights - over 70% I would guess. Suit and tie also complies with the dress code, and that was the vast majority of the remaining gents.

Exceptions included one of our table mates - luggage was lost between home and boarding in Brooklyn. He made do with sport jacket, wool dress slacks and an ascot over an oxford cloth shirt [gave him one one mine]. 

I would think a dark blue pin stripe suit would be quite acceptable, however I would suggest he wear a classic white shirt and avoid the pleated shirts. He can wear a bow tie, or a classic tie and dress up the outfit with a beautiful silk pocket square that looks good with the tie. His shoes should be well shined and preferably black.

Now having said that, if he has a use for a Tuxedo for more than just this cruise he can wear the pleated shirts, a cummerbund and tie. If you choose you can buy him several different cummerbund-tie combinations such as simple black, black with small white dots. You might also like to buy him patient leather shoes to go with the Tux.

Your hubby sounds a Dapper guy,  those two suits you mention will look fine. Personally ( and this is only my opinion) as you are splashing out on a 22 day cruise on the magnificent Queen May 2 I'd feel more comfortable in an evening suit  on formal/Gala evenings ( or evening jacket worn over tuxedo trousers. 

One can pick up gents evening wear in M&S at a 'reasonable price'. Christmas and New Year is just around the corner and M&S have a range of 'limited edition' gents formal wear on their rails. 

Either of the suits will be fine.  He will not be forced to walk the plank.  I wear a black jacket, black slacks, white shirt and conservative tie and look just fine, although not as elegant as some other guys.  Don't stress unless you want to.

Because “formal” now includes a dark suit, there is no need to buy a tuxedo if he will have no other occasion to wear it. I do think, however, that if a man picks the dark suit option he should not feel it necessary to try tart it up with a bow tie: making it a sort of pretend tuxedo.  A four-in-hand , with a white shirt should be fine.

• Haha 1

Dear Bodsfanclub,

If you were only taking the 7-night crossing, with the 3 gala nights, I would strongly urge the tuxedo for the sense of occasion that comes with one's (his) first transatlantic voyage on the Queen Mary 2. There is also the satisfaction that will come for years afterwards as you look at and share pictures of that crossing with family and friends. And for shallow people like myself, there is also a wonderful smugness that comes with wearing a tuxedo. However, 22 nights is a long trip and there will be many formal nights, so I would certainly understand your husbands decision to stay in his comfort zone. Perhaps though, there is one other option, bring both. Let your husband give the tux a try. If he doesn't like it, he can switch back. 

Enjoy your trip

Jack

• Like 1

Thank you for all your suggestions and opinions. I am going to take him to try on a tux in the January sales and see if he likes it and wants to go with it. If so - then it will be my treat to him for Christmas. Thank you again. 

• Like 1

If you are planning on eating most of the nights in the MDR then unless you want to use the expensive dry cleaning service, your husband would probably want to take 3 suits anyway.  The 2 existing suits plus a dinner suit would probably work without needing any dry cleaning.

I initially thought that a dinner suit would be outside of my comfort zone too, but seeing as the majority of gents were wearing one, I would have probably felt less comfortable without one!

I actually find my dinner suit more comfortable than my regular suit in the evenings now - it fits really well, doesn't require a belt and gives me an excuse to wear a waistcoat.  I had a bit of trial and error with dress shirts to find ones that were comfortable round the neck.  Going for a smaller rather than a larger bow tie can help too as you don't really notice you are wearing it so much.

In any case I hope you both have a fabulous trip!

1 hour ago, bodsfanclub said:

Thank you for all your suggestions and opinions. I am going to take him to try on a tux in the January sales and see if he likes it and wants to go with it. If so - then it will be my treat to him for Christmas. Thank you again. 

Have a look at the company Dobell they have a fantastic sale on at the moment.

On 10/6/2019 at 2:37 PM, MCC retired said:

Just reached Diamond level , the hard way (15 cruises)

Just MHO but reaching by nights is harder. There are a lot of 2-4 nighters out of Southampton. 🙂

<-- 13 cruises, 141 nights. Will reach Diamond after Christmas in the Caribbean.

54 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Just MHO but reaching by nights is harder. There are a lot of 2-4 nighters out of Southampton. 🙂

<-- 13 cruises, 141 nights. Will reach Diamond after Christmas in the Caribbean.

Our Diamond the Hard Way was 15 Cunard cruises spread over 40 years beginning with the Cunard Princess .

We are not loyal cruisers and spread the cruise $$$ to enjoy all  of "affordable" cruise lines.

• Like 1

O

On 10/6/2019 at 3:35 PM, bodsfanclub said:

Good afternoon everyone. 

I have cruised many many times but my Hubby will be taking his first cruise with me next June- July on QM2 22 day transatlantic and North America. It will be my first cruise with Cunard in 8 years. And my first time with the new Gala nights. 

Hubby has a beautiful dark blue pin stripe suit he wore to our wedding three years ago. And a black suit sadly bought for my dads funeral last year. I have for Christmas bought him two pleated front dress shirts, two bow ties and multiple shirt/tie combos and cuff links. 

I am now wondering if these will suffice for the Gala nights or should I buy him a tuxedo? To my mind the difference between his black suit and a dinner suit is negligible. His dark blue pin stripe is absolutely gorgeous and was more than posh enough for our elegant wedding three years ago. 

But - will it be de rigeur? Advice sought and appreciated please. Thank you. 

I am sure your husband will be SUITED when he gets a Tux, and will feel more comfortable when he sees that most men are dressed in a Tux. 🍷🥃

On 10/13/2019 at 7:04 AM, luckymal said:

O

I am sure your husband will be SUITED when he gets a Tux, and will feel more comfortable when he sees that most men are dressed in a Tux. 🍷🥃

Interesting as on the QM2 voyages I have done (several in Far and Middle East) it would be perhaps 50% of men (if that) only in a tux on formal night not most at all. No one looked awful or out of place if they didn't wear a tux. Maybe it's different on voyages in other regions. 

In my 20++ cruises and crossings, I can honestly say that in the public areas (not including the Smash and Grab) I've never seen more than about 2 - 3% of men NOT wearing a DJ, and those were wearing dark suits.

Perhaps it's a European and American thing.

On 10/6/2019 at 6:48 PM, Bell Boy said:

One can pick up gents evening wear in M&S at a 'reasonable price'. Christmas and New Year is just around the corner and M&S have a range of 'limited edition' gents formal wear on their rails. 

You might find an absolute bargain in the January sales. 😁 If your husband has a pre Christmas try-on for size, you could order online as soon as the prices drop, without facing the sales mob. 

On 10/15/2019 at 9:19 AM, Aussieflyer said:

Interesting as on the QM2 voyages I have done (several in Far and Middle East) it would be perhaps 50% of men (if that) only in a tux on formal night not most at all. No one looked awful or out of place if they didn't wear a tux. Maybe it's different on voyages in other regions. 

On 10/15/2019 at 9:46 AM, BigMac1953 said:

In my 20++ cruises and crossings, I can honestly say that in the public areas (not including the Smash and Grab) I've never seen more than about 2 - 3% of men NOT wearing a DJ, and those were wearing dark suits.

Perhaps it's a European and American thing.

I think your figures are correct, we have done almost 60 Cunard cruises, we have found when in European waters most men wear tux, when in American waters nearly the same, American men not keen to dress up but, will do so, but when in Australian waters they wear what they want to wear.

We enjoy Cunard mainly for the dress code, as least it looks like people have made a effort to dress for dinner.🍷🥃

• 2 weeks later...

I am just off the QM2 and whilst dinner jacket was the majority choice for the gala nights there were enough dark-suit-and-tie folks that you won’t stick out if you opt for that choice.