Not A Good Idea or You Can't Fix Stupid

HamOp

48 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

And had it all gone wrong, the media would be reporting how she "fell" overboard and the dangers of cruising...

Correct!  And the skeptics who have never tried cruising will say "It's too dangerous, look at how many people fall off cruise ships!"  

I'm glad they took immediate action.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

And had it all gone wrong, the media would be reporting how she "fell" overboard and the dangers of cruising...

5 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Correct!  And the skeptics who have never tried cruising will say "It's too dangerous, look at how many people fall off cruise ships!"  

I'm glad they took immediate action.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

I've had people ask me "but aren't you afraid of falling overboard?" I always reply that you can't fall overboard unless you're doing something you shouldn't be doing. 

• Like 5

Just got back from the Grand Canyon.  Was amazed how many people walk over the boundary fence to walk along the edge to take selfies or whatever in spite of frequent reports of people falling to their deaths.  There are no attempts by park rangers to stop this practice. Probably would have to hire a lot more rangers to enforce the fence boundary.  Personally, I would not like to see my tax dollars used to protect people who take little responsibility for their own personal safety.  Ditto for cruise ships,

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Leave the woman alone to do as she pleases.  After all, stupidity is a self-correcting problem (if left alone).

Yes, it is. But if she had fallen, the alarm would have been raised and the ship would have turned around and searched for her. This costs the cruise line money in extra fuel costs. It wastes time and money of local assistance, like coast guard if they go out to join the search. And it makes the ship late or skip a port, which messes up the vacation of the thousands of people on the ship who were NOT stupid enough to pull such a stunt. 

• Like 6

Just now, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Yes, it is. But if she had fallen, the alarm would have been raised and the ship would have turned around and searched for her. This costs the cruise line money in extra fuel costs. It wastes time and money of local assistance, like coast guard if they go out to join the search. And it makes the ship late or skip a port, which messes up the vacation of the thousands of people on the ship who were NOT stupid enough to pull such a stunt. 

Trying to mitigate stupidity only encourages more stupidity.

Cleaning out the gene pool has benefits.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I don't remember fences in most places along the canyon. But yes I would be the one getting close (but not that close) to get the picture of me attempting to push my wife over 🙂

There are fences of various types and sizes.  Maybe "fence" is the wrong word.  In some places the barrier is only about 15" high and one can easily walk over them to reach a ledge.  Your idea with the wife is too incriminating;  better to pose her on the ledge and then direct her to keep walking backward while you snap a photo.

IMG_1420.JPG

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Both her and her companion (who helped her get on the railing) are banned. Good! 

Yep -- you can even figure that ONE person could be that much of a fool. But, someone stupid enough to 'aid and abet' such a dangerous stunt -- just boggles the mind....

5 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Do cruise lines share this info?

She should be banned on all lines.

When a person gets banned, they'e typically banned from all lines under the parents corporation's umbrella.  So while she might not be banned from all cruise lines, she will be banned from all RCCL lines.  

One of my big fears/phobias is being someplace with big drops and no guardrails.  I've gotten out of cars in a few places and walked when the passenger side looks down a ravine and there is no guardrail.  I got maybe within 10 ft. of those edges at the Grand Canyon.  I watched as my friends climbed Angels Landing at Zion NP - I probably could do the up, facing the wall, but I couldn't get back down off he ledge.  I have troubles ziplining because of that step off the platform...  

As for the woman and her SO - anyone want to bet they had no passports?  Wonder how long it took for them to get back to the US?  

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

One of my big fears/phobias is being someplace with big drops and no guardrails.  I've gotten out of cars in a few places and walked when the passenger side looks down a ravine and there is no guardrail.  I got maybe within 10 ft. of those edges at the Grand Canyon.  I watched as my friends climbed Angels Landing at Zion NP - I probably could do the up, facing the wall, but I couldn't get back down off he ledge.  I have troubles ziplining because of that step off the platform...  

As for the woman and her SO - anyone want to bet they had no passports?  Wonder how long it took for them to get back to the US?  

I'd be with you, standing 10 ft back and saying 'It's okay, I can see from here."