"Culinary Delights" - Worth it?

RebeccatheGeek

We're doing our first Princess cruise (Alaska) for our anniversary this summer and I was looking at the "Culinary Delights" section of my cruise planner. I see things like canapes, deluxe canapes, and a cheese/fruit plate. I assume these would be delivered to the room. I was thinking this might be something nice to get for my wife for our annivesary.

Has anyone tried these? Are they good? And are they worth it? I assumed that these weren't things you find on the buffet, but not having sailed Princess, I wasn't sure. 

We've never paid for anything from the various menus (room service, etc.)

We're Elite, so can get canapes for free on formal nights...tried them once...they're awful.

Fruit/cheese plate?: go up to the buffet (and/or down to the International Cafe) and make your own. That way, you'll get what you want.

• Like 2

I've ordered various items and in the past few years have been very disappointed in what we received. Even the floral arrangements were a disappointment lately.

Take the advice from others and go up to the buffet. Book a dinner in one of the Specialty restaurants.

3 hours ago, RebeccatheGeek said:

We're doing our first Princess cruise (Alaska) for our anniversary this summer and I was looking at the "Culinary Delights" section of my cruise planner. I see things like canapes, deluxe canapes, and a cheese/fruit plate. I assume these would be delivered to the room. I was thinking this might be something nice to get for my wife for our anniversary.

Has anyone tried these? Are they good? And are they worth it? I assumed that these weren't things you find on the buffet, but not having sailed Princess, I wasn't sure. 

I would recommend booking a dinner in the Crown Grill and take her there for a special meal to celebrate.

I'm with the other posters, the deluxe canapés they send to the cabin for elites are really pretty gross.  I've called and told them not to send them to the room because we won't touch them.  Wish they still sent the chocolate covered strawberries. 

We've had all types of trays sent to our cabin as gifts from friends and TA's. I have to agree with the consensus to save your money. Except for a few items, you can get pretty much everything from the Buffet.

Although I haven't been on as many cruises as most on these Boards, in my experience the most romantic and wonderful celebration we've had was the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. I highly recommend it - even if you don't have a balcony. We did it in Alaska and it was too chilly so we had it indoors in our cabin. 

Edited by hllwdcruiser

3 hours ago, steelers36 said:

I would recommend booking a dinner in the Crown Grill and take her there for a special meal to celebrate.

Yes, that is what I'd do as well. On recent cruises I have done what others suggest and go down to the International Cafe and ask them to make up a plate of cheese and crackers. Very nice on the balcony with a drink of an afternoon.

your wife is very lucky to have such a thoughtful partner. the others are spot on about passing on canapes and maybe going to the International Cafe or buffet for a cheese and charcuterie assortment. That said, the chocolate covered strawberries are pretty cool.  i like them with a prosecco or champagne-and not just for breakfast!  kidding there but it does go a ways to building an argument for NOT leaving the cabin. just food for thought...

14 hours ago, RebeccatheGeek said:

We're doing our first Princess cruise (Alaska) for our anniversary this summer and I was looking at the "Culinary Delights" section of my cruise planner. I see things like canapes, deluxe canapes, and a cheese/fruit plate. I assume these would be delivered to the room. I was thinking this might be something nice to get for my wife for our anniversary.

Basic answer, no. There is so much food on board extra food in the cabin seems wasteful. Chocolate covered strawberries are probably the exception. If you go for anything I would select these. Strawberries are not available in other places around the ship. As for cheese it is available in the buffet and you can make a plate of cheese, crackers and fruit and bring it back to the cabin. Unless you are in a mini suite or full suite there is really no comfortable place to sit in the cabin and enjoy whatever.

My way of thinking better to book one of the specialty restaurants for an anniversary. You might also consider the intimate Ultimate Balcony Dinner, $100 for two, served in your cabin. Room service brings the table & chairs. The chef's table is another option. If you are on a Royal Class ship Wine Maker's Dinner is also available.

Thank you so much everyone! I'm glad I know not to waste money on those canapes. Alas, I had a feeling they might not be great. 

We'll probably do Bayou Cafe on our anniversary (one free specialty dining night). I think I'll get her the chocolate covered strawberries too! She loves those things, and at $8 one of the cheapest things as well. I just wish I liked strawberries. 😉 

I'm tempted by the balcony dinner/breakfast, but I think it might be too cold for her in Alaska. We'll see if I can convince her otherwise when we get on the ship. We're crossing our fingers for the Chef's Table as well!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RebeccatheGeek said:

Thank you so much everyone! I'm glad I know not to waste money on those canapes. Alas, I had a feeling they might not be great. 

We'll probably do Bayou Cafe on our anniversary (one free specialty dining night). I think I'll get her the chocolate covered strawberries too! She loves those things, and at $8 one of the cheapest things as well. I just wish I liked strawberries. 😉 

I'm tempted by the balcony dinner/breakfast, but I think it might be too cold for her in Alaska. We'll see if I can convince her otherwise when we get on the ship. We're crossing our fingers for the Chef's Table as well!

If it's not raining, the balcony breakfast would be wonderful, especially if you can book it during the day of the inside passage or the glacier viewing.  It is phenomenal and not so much in the morning but have been out on our balcony in our bathing suits while up in Alaska.  It can get hot, believe it or not. 

I've never done the Ultimate balcony dining, but it seems nice. The breakfast was fun, we did it for my mom and she loved it. It doesn't have to be done outside, it can be in the inside of the cabin.

The strawberries are always nice. The canapes, meh. 

I agree about the canapes being a complete waste.  Our daughter once purchased for us the Balcony Breakfast as an anniversary present, and contrary to what others have said, for me that was also a complete waste.  Ona sea day, I want to go up to the buffet for breakfast, grab a table in a quiet area, enjoy my tea at my leisure (taking time to steep it!), then go up and get some food after my first cup.  My nose will be in a book, and I will not socialize.  My wife will still be in bed when I finish my meal.

For the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast, we had to coordinate our schedules to eat together -- too late for me, too early for her.  And if I am eating off of a room service tray, I could not simply take whatever struck my fancy that morning as I browsed the buffet spread.   I appreciated our daughter's gesture, but what a waste and inconvenience!