RCL Stock

heidikay

Chip master I see you say simply dont report the loss.

If you have your taxes done, etrade for one reports every sale and my preparer saw it. You cant just ask your preparer to pretend he didnt see it, at least I couldnt.

Maybe you do your own taxes? But it's there on the year end statement i get from etrade

On 5/15/2020 at 6:34 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

This doesn't make sense.  If you purchased and sold the stock inside an IRA any resulting gain or  loss is not a taxable event.  Assuming your are over age 59 1/2 if it's a traditional IRA you only pay tax when you withdraw funds from the account.  If it's a Roth withdrawals are not taxed at all.  Suggest you check with your broker. 

I agree, if it's a trade in an IRA/401k/Roth account does not trigger a taxable event.

10 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I agree, if it's a trade in an IRA/401k/Roth account does not trigger a taxable event.

I am 74 and the total amount I received I put into my checking account was taxable. I did not leave it in the account. I took it out. What TD Ameratrade sent to the IRS was a taxable amount, the total. I sold all the Royal stock and then closed out the account and opened another.  This amount included the money I sent to my TDA account from my checking account, which was after tax money. Again, I forgot it was an IRA.

30 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Aarp will do some very complex tax returns for free here... with some exceptions. I had done a wash sale accidentally and it required another form and they were nope, we wouldnt do it, go pay a cpa.

With the news today about vaccine trials by MRNA, cruise stocks and almost everything else is flying. They said something 2 doses and people had antibodies as the same as if they recovered from covid. Might get thru phase 2 and 3 in time to produce some by the time school starts in the fall. Probably optimistic but still very good news about safer cruises.

20200518_095606673.jpeg

Yea, thats a game changer if they can to phase 3 trials by july.  not a slam dunk to get everyone vaccinated this year, but enough to put out the hot spots, vaccinate healthcare workers, etc. which would most likely prevent a second outbreak.  Great news!

35 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Yea, thats a game changer if they can to phase 3 trials by july.  not a slam dunk to get everyone vaccinated this year, but enough to put out the hot spots, vaccinate healthcare workers, etc. which would most likely prevent a second outbreak.  Great news!

LOL, irrational optimism

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

LOL, irrational optimism

Well, im pretty sure the market is also optimistic about it as well based on the movement.  What are your data points as to why thats too optimistic?

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

Stock is popping today $5.85 as of 10.23.  Positive looks towards Moderna Pharma having positive results with it's Covid 19 vaccine.  Only hoping for success.

Glad I bought some Moderna stock a couple of months ago at $29 😁

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Well, im pretty sure the market is also optimistic about it as well based on the movement.  What are your data points as to why thats too optimistic?

If you just the gyrations of this market of evidence of anything is likely a fools game.  Every time there is even a rumor of progress toward a treatment or a vaccine the equity market grabs it and runs.  And conveniently, the news is dropped just before pre-market trading ramps up.

As of this morning, a whopping total of 8 people have been vaccinated.  8.  2 doses and antibodies present.

Just like the 8 sailors on the Teddy Roosevelt who now have the virus for the second time.

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I am 74 and the total amount I received I put into my checking account was taxable. I did not leave it in the account. I took it out. What TD Ameratrade sent to the IRS was a taxable amount, the total. I sold all the Royal stock and then closed out the account and opened another.  This amount included the money I sent to my TDA account from my checking account, which was after tax money. Again, I forgot it was an IRA.

I went back to your original post/explanation and from your description you seem to liquidate a non-deductible IRA and what was sent to the IRS included your contribution or basis.  If so, you needed to complete form #8606 "Nondeductible IRAs." and identify taxable vs non-taxable amounts.

Also, assuming TD Ameritrade issued a 1099R.  TD does not know how you treated your contribution, therefore it's up to you to identify and report accordingly.

Maybe not factual, just assuming.

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I believe what you're saying is the stock was held in a traditional IRA.  When you sold it you had broker send you a check which counts as an IRA withdrawal.  Then you deposited the funds along with other money into a regular taxable account.  If this is true then the tax you owe tax is on the IRA withdrawal not the stock sale.  Assuming the IRA was funded solely through pre-tax contributions the entire withdrawal is taxable.

9 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I made out like a bandit on APT, I'd held from my old trading stock days. I paid 2.18 and sold around 35. Of course it probably sat there barely moving for 10 years. It makes masks. I try and buy and hold but when a stock pops that much, you won the lottery, cash in the ticket. It's now sitting around 15 or 16, still a lot more than I ever saw it at. 

Otherwise my retirement would be in a lot worse position except for that huge winner.

Trading complicates my taxes too much, now I was trying to just buy and hold. Ouch lately. 

But unfortunately I have rcl and ccl, more ouch. Rcl actually about even, I've had it over 10 year, maybe 15. Ccl down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I bought at $38........I wish I had bought more though. I knew it was going to go sky high this morning, read over the weekend about the trials going well, anyone know if I could have bought it before the bell rings? I got to the computer this moring late though, 9am it was already in the 80's. Last night it was $66 and I was going to buy more at the price but scared off now at $80.

Q1 Earnings Report conference call today at 10am 

"Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL) has scheduled a conference call for 10:00 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time, Wednesday, May 20, 2020, to provide a business update.  The call will be available on-line at the company's investor relations website, www.rclinvestor.com.  To listen to the call by phone, please dial (877) 663-9606 in the US and Canada.  International phone calls should be made to (706) 758-4628. There is no passcode or meeting number. A replay of the webcast will be available at the same site for a month following the call."

23 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I bought at $38........I wish I had bought more though. I knew it was going to go sky high this morning, read over the weekend about the trials going well, anyone know if I could have bought it before the bell rings? I got to the computer this moring late though, 9am it was already in the 80's. Last night it was $66 and I was going to buy more at the price but scared off now at $80.

Time for a trailing stop loss, let the market take you out. Next company that announces a vaccine will trigger a Moderna sell off.  Pigs get slaughtered are words to the wise.. 100% profit is awesome.. 

On 5/14/2020 at 9:18 PM, Hoopster95 said:

Bre-X comes to mind.

Had to pop in and say UGH, Bre-X. My husband could have killed me for that one.

When my "set-for-life" pick turned into "salted sample". 😔

Thankfully (if you're lucky!) you live and learn from those terrible mistakes LOL.

7 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Q1 Earnings Report conference call today at 10am 

"Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL) has scheduled a conference call for 10:00 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time, Wednesday, May 20, 2020, to provide a business update.  The call will be available on-line at the company's investor relations website, www.rclinvestor.com.  To listen to the call by phone, please dial (877) 663-9606 in the US and Canada.  International phone calls should be made to (706) 758-4628. There is no passcode or meeting number. A replay of the webcast will be available at the same site for a month following the call."

"Royal Caribbean Cruises still needs cash, according to Wells Fargo Analyst Tim Conder, in a recent note to investors.

"We believe (Royal Caribbean Cruises) still needs to raise an additional $2.5B-$3B to weather a 'no sail' scenario through the end of 2021," Conder wrote. "We expect the raise will likely occur over the next two to three weeks and lean toward convertible debt and equity."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22972-royal-caribbean-likely-to-raise-more-cash.html

1 hour ago, SeaHunt said:

"Royal Caribbean Cruises still needs cash, according to Wells Fargo Analyst Tim Conder, in a recent note to investors.

"We believe (Royal Caribbean Cruises) still needs to raise an additional $2.5B-$3B to weather a 'no sail' scenario through the end of 2021," Conder wrote. "We expect the raise will likely occur over the next two to three weeks and lean toward convertible debt and equity."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22972-royal-caribbean-likely-to-raise-more-cash.html

Even after this?

https://www.wfmz.com/news/pr_newswire/pr_newswire_business/royal-caribbean-announces-closing-of-3-32-billion-senior-secured-notes/article_82e8686a-c366-58d8-a476-cdc40dbf1fea.html

"MIAMI, May 19, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL) (the "Company") today announced that it has closed its private offering of $1.0 billion aggregate principal amount of 10.875% Senior Secured Notes due 2023 (the "2023 Notes") and $2.32 billion aggregate principal amount of 11.500% Senior Secured Notes due 2025 (the "2023 Notes," together with the "2025 Notes", the "Notes"). The 2023 Notes will mature on June 1, 2023. The 2025 Notes will mature on June 1, 2025 and are redeemable at the Company's option beginning June 1, 2022."

6 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Even after this?

https://www.wfmz.com/news/pr_newswire/pr_newswire_business/royal-caribbean-announces-closing-of-3-32-billion-senior-secured-notes/article_82e8686a-c366-58d8-a476-cdc40dbf1fea.html

"MIAMI, May 19, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL) (the "Company") today announced that it has closed its private offering of $1.0 billion aggregate principal amount of 10.875% Senior Secured Notes due 2023 (the "2023 Notes") and $2.32 billion aggregate principal amount of 11.500% Senior Secured Notes due 2025 (the "2023 Notes," together with the "2025 Notes", the "Notes"). The 2023 Notes will mature on June 1, 2023. The 2025 Notes will mature on June 1, 2025 and are redeemable at the Company's option beginning June 1, 2022."

That was only to pay back/extend the life of a short term note that was covering them for this year. By doing the above they have now extended that repayment schedule out over the next two-four years as broad operations this year are unrealistic. 

Yes, the article pointed out that they need to raise funds for a lay up extending into next year. Even if some ships are operating, this is unlikely to be their whole fleet, so revenue will be down, and costs likely up due to restrictions that need to be brought in. So I agree further funding is likely required.

7 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

That was only to pay back/extend the life of a short term note that was covering them for this year. By doing the above they have now extended that repayment schedule out over the next two-four years as broad operations this year are unrealistic. 

Yes, the article pointed out that they need to raise funds for a lay up extending into next year. Even if some ships are operating, this is unlikely to be their whole fleet, so revenue will be down, and costs likely up due to restrictions that need to be brought in. So I agree further funding is likely required.

Thanks for this.  Q1 conference call today at 10am should be interesting. 

31 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Thanks for this.  Q1 conference call today at 10am should be interesting. 

this will  be one not to miss.  They are going to have to lay out some type of plan or get skewered by the investors.  

Today's Q1 Earning Release. 8:06AM 05-20-2020

The Company reported US GAAP Net Loss for the first quarter of 2020 of $(1.4) billion or $(6.91) per share compared to US GAAP Net Income of $249.7 million or $1.19 per share in the prior year.  The 2020 results include a non-cash asset impairment loss of $1.1 billion.  The Company reported Adjusted Net Loss of $(310.4) million or $(1.48) per share compared to Adjusted Net Income of $275.8 million or $1.31 per share in the prior year.