P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

14 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I spent from 8am to 2:30pm at the vaccine hub, I should have stayed until 5:30pm but by 2:30 I was really fed-up with the attitude of people coming in.  For some reason we had loads of people who seemed to think that we are being awkward when we are saying that we only have Moderna for the boosters, the final straw was when I asked for a Pfizer to be drawn up for 16 year old because under 17s can't have Moderna and an old man overheard and shouted at me that I was a liar because I had tl?d him that he could only have Moderna.  I am now seriously considering giving up the volunteering, I don't think that this sort of abuse is worth it even though most people are polite.  

Keep going Josy, to important not to!

Thank you

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I spent from 8am to 2:30pm at the vaccine hub, I should have stayed until 5:30pm but by 2:30 I was really fed-up with the attitude of people coming in.  For some reason we had loads of people who seemed to think that we are being awkward when we are saying that we only have Moderna for the boosters, the final straw was when I asked for a Pfizer to be drawn up for 16 year old because under 17s can't have Moderna and an old man overheard and shouted at me that I was a liar because I had tl?d him that he could only have Moderna.  I am now seriously considering giving up the volunteering, I don't think that this sort of abuse is worth it even though most people are polite.  

We all appreciate what you are doing Josy, sorry you have to put up with that nonsense. 

Andy 

• Like 11

43 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Don't let a small minority of idiots spoil it for you

They don't know any better

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I know it's hard, but the best thing to do with obnoxious folk is to ignore them. We know and you know that what you are doing is literally life changing. Please persevere and keep on.

• Like 11

58 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

You are doing a fantastic job especially as a volunteer doing this unpaid.

There is nearly always 1 in all walks of life who is unpleasant and deflates you with their argumentative attitude but think of all the nice people you are helping and that makes up for the nasties.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I'm sorry to read this, you have been doing a grand job. Don't let one rude unpleasant person upset you. I know it's easy to say, but I have been in a similar situation so know the feeling!!

Pam 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I know what its like Josy and there comes a point where you break. I hope that you can give it some thought and may carry on and like others have said its been an exemplary job that you have done. BUT if it is time then you will know that. You can go months taking everything thrown at you and some of it is a bouquet not just brickbats. However carrying on if you really have reached what you can put up with and it is detrimental to your mental health that is no good. It would without doubt be a sad loss to the centre but after more thought you must do what is best for you. 

Edited by ccpm

Interestingly,  Mrs W received a recorded delivery PCR test today through the post. 

As she is a shielding individual, the test has been sent so that if she gets symptoms she can self administer the test, and then receive the newly approved anti Covid drug if she tests positive.

Most impressed ! 

• Like 9

Well I watched the JVT lecture on BBC this evening and enjoyed it learning some stuff about viruses I did not know. I was surprised to find out our immune system has a machine for churning out antibodies that has little metal legs. JVT was more the continuity man and most of the demos were by the actual scientists who did the research and development.

They also had a dog that can smell out COVID so get all your doggies  and dashies retrained quickly. Apparently one dog can check hundreds of people, all you need is the dog and a good supply of biccies.

I was truly surprised to find out that we produce about 4? litres of Sno...mucus per day and our killer T cells add up to about the same size volume as our brain, that explains a lot. and all this PCR testing is based on a bacteria found in a hot spring in Yellowstone 

Next lecture is what bad stuff COVID does to us once inside and how to stop it doing it.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I'm sorry you've had such an awful day, when all you're doing is trying to help others. I'm rather loathe to tell someone what to do, but I do agree whole-heartedly with Emma (ccpm). 

You've done a wonderful job during this pandemic Josy, firstly the vaccine trials, and now volunteering at a vaccination hub.

It may only be one nasty person  now and again, but it is difficult to shake off that feeling it gives you. I know from personal experience that you can only take so much abuse from joe public before it begins to affect your own health and peace of mind. 

Ultimately it is your decision to make, but you can be proud of what you've done during this pandemic,  and no matter what you decide you have our gratitude and support. x

Avril

• Like 14

11 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Oh no Josy. Aren’t some people vile. But if possible try and concentrate on the thousands  of people that have come through your hub that will now not need to go to hospital (or worse) if they catch this virus….  Every one of those jabbed, but one idiot, is forever grateful to you.

Sending a hug.

Gill x

• Like 9

7 hours ago, davecttr said:

They also had a dog that can smell out COVID so get all your doggies  and dashies retrained quickly. Apparently one dog can check hundreds of people, all you need is the dog and a good supply of biccies.

Tongue in cheek, I would advise all of you dog owners to NOT train your lovely pets to check for covid.  There are nasty people out there and I would worry that some poor little dog might get kicked by one of them.

I know that most people are nice but I also know from experience that some are very grumpy particularly when they have to queue outside in the cold, wet weather.

• Like 3

.Thanks from me too Josy, and to the other volunteers on here.  They have turned the wheels magnificently when I have been to the vaccination centres. 

ps,  I'll get told off but having just returned from Cunard.. I see QM is sadly having to return to UK re covid.  See the thread.  Sad,  our hotel was full of the passengers from this cruise when we left.  Better not comment on here!

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Interestingly,  Mrs W received a recorded delivery PCR test today through the post. 

As she is a shielding individual, the test has been sent so that if she gets symptoms she can self administer the test, and then receive the newly approved anti Covid drug if she tests positive.

Most impressed ! 

I got mine too, great service. Let’s hope neither of us need to use them

Michelle

• Like 9

Thank you everyone for your support. 

After a good night's sleep I have decided that I will go back but if I get anyone being abusive I will just walk away.  I feel that the only way out of this awful situation is vaccination and that the NHS have more than enough to do without trying to vaccinate all of the population without support from volunteers who can do the non medical tasks.

Take care everyone particularly over the next few weeks when there is a likelihood if a covid spike due to the increased level of people mixing over the festive period. 

My exciting day is a visit to Sainsburys and this evening we are going out to our favourite restaurant,  I already know that I will order the world's best vegetarian lasagne.

• Like 18

19 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

After a good night's sleep I have decided that I will go back but if I get anyone being abusive I will just walk away.  I feel that the only way out of this awful situation is vaccination and that the NHS have more than enough to do without trying to vaccinate all of the population without support from volunteers who can do the non medical tasks.

Take care everyone particularly over the next few weeks when there is a likelihood if a covid spike due to the increased level of people mixing over the festive period. 

My exciting day is a visit to Sainsburys and this evening we are going out to our favourite restaurant,  I already know that I will order the world's best vegetarian lasagne.

Well done Josy, fortunately being a big lad I don't get much hassle and the good outweighs the bad as that is minimal. I now usually end up on car park duty as that seems to be where most problems occur at our jab centre and most of the other volunteers won't do it. 

• Like 14

Well done Josy.  
I suppose it demonstrates that most people are nice, kind, thoughtful etc most of the time, because just one who doesn’t behave ‘normally’ can upset us and prey on our mind out of all proportion 

Strange how it’s invariably females who get the flack, eh?

It’s yet another miserable wet morning, though with promises of it clearing up later on

I watched Prof Van-Tam last night.  Good simple stuff and quite entertaining, particularly the piece on sno … mucus 🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Josie - I think you and all other volunteers have played a fantastic role in ensuring the vaccination process has gone successfully and thank you and others for doing so without seeking to gain credit. 

I applaud you for giving it another go and hope that the few obnoxious individuals who have given you and others such a hard time begin to show some gratitude for the efforts of everybody who has made this vaccination roll out possible.

Enjoy your lasagne, it is just a pity we can’t all pop in to buy you a drink to go with it. I am sure there would be loads of us wishing to do so. 🍷🍹🥃

• Like 14

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Most impressed ! 

My daughter received her's yesterday too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Enjoy your lasagne, it is just a pity we can’t all pop in to buy you a drink to go with it. I am sure there would be loads of us wishing to do so. 🍷🍹🥃

Well said Pete... 

I would definitely be first in line to buy Josy and all our other fantastic volunteers a thank you drink. 

We are trying to do something locally for our small vaccination centre as everyone involved has been superheroes, but they would be too humble to accept any form of gratitude, even if allowed. 

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU... ❤️❤️❤️

Andy & Michelle xx

• Like 13