P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

26 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Dirty filthy trains. Rubbish service. Out 12 bn revenue, 5bn comes from fares. I don't use the things, but pay over half the costs. I remember getting home from work covered in filth. As you may gather , I'm not a fan.

If the railways were to be returned to being operated as one company as Harry seems to prefer, it doesn’t mean they will return to the state they were in before they were split into multiple operators. Most people outside the Greater London / South East area don’t use them anyway although I do accept that some have to or prefer to. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, pete14 said:

If the railways were to be returned to being operated as one company as Harry seems to prefer, it doesn’t mean they will return to the state they were in before they were split into multiple operators. Most people outside the Greater London / South East area don’t use them anyway although I do accept that some have to or prefer to. 

After I left school I used the mainline to get to work in Central London from the suburbs. Late, expensive, dirty and normally had to stand. When Southeast rail did a special ' anywhere on the network for £10 ', we went to Weymouth for the day. The trains weren't crowded and quite a pleasant journey. Normally the fare is over £100. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Hmm - I used to use the train from Leeds to Edinburgh a fair bit back in the 80s. An excellent way to travel, (the A1 was a pig in those days), used to get work done on the outward trip, and enjoyed BR wine and sandwiches on the return. A stress free experience - helped of course that I travelled 1st class  - company expenses !

When I got a job with a company car, one of the joys was not being forced on to public transport. We have used trains 3 times in the last 15 years. Once was the Rocky Mountaineer and twice on cheap trips to the seaside. On those 2, we took our own sandwiches. The Rocky Mountaineer, gold leaf, provided some food.Next year we are on the Berlingo express. We may enjoy that.

57 minutes ago, zap99 said:

When I got a job with a company car, one of the joys was not being forced on to public transport. We have used trains 3 times in the last 15 years. Once was the Rocky Mountaineer and twice on cheap trips to the seaside. On those 2, we took our own sandwiches. The Rocky Mountaineer, gold leaf, provided some food.Next year we are on the Berlingo express. We may enjoy that.

Our car will be in Italy from March till October.When we come back twice for 45 days it will be buses,trains, National Express coaches and only as a last resort, a hire car.To see our relos in Basingstoke 16 quid return for 2 National Express ,1.5 hrs.Love it letting them take the strain.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

Dirty filthy trains. Rubbish service. Out 12 bn revenue, 5bn comes from fares. I don't use the things, but pay over half the costs. I remember getting home from work covered in filth. As you may gather , I'm not a fan.

I used the trains daily to Liverpool and Manchester from 1966 - 1975 for education and work, and although far from perfect, my experience is nothing like yours, I'm glad to say.

• Like 4

All quiet on here today. Wet, cold and miserable day.

I’ve stayed indoors and researched some port information for our next cruise. I love looking for things to see and do as we prefer to do our own thing most of the time rather than get herded around on tours.

Hope everyone is well.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

All quiet on here today. Wet, cold and miserable day.

I’ve stayed indoors and researched some port information for our next cruise. I love looking for things to see and do as we prefer to do our own thing most of the time rather than get herded around on tours.

Hope everyone is well.

We have had lovely weather today, a little cool but bright sun and it is just setting with a beautiful sky.

I went for a walk while grumpy watched the England Ladies football match and met another lady who was doing the sane thing.

Stay warm and well everyone.

20230219_174855.thumb.jpg.8425832db8479eb652e8993e390103a2.jpg

• Like 9

Been absolutely glorious here in Dorset today with blue skies and sunshine. I had my windows and patio doors open for several hours to give the house a good airing and it made a nice change to walk the dog in sunshine!

Hope everyone has enjoyed their weekend.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

Been absolutely glorious here in Dorset today with blue skies and sunshine. I had my windows and patio doors open for several hours to give the house a good airing and it made a nice change to walk the dog in sunshine!

Hope everyone has enjoyed their weekend.

As was our walk around Portland.

• Like 1

Hello all, been catching up. Work is crazy busy and everyone seems fed up.

Been a decent weekend, met a friend for lunch yesterday at a garden centre. Today Grumpy John didn’t want to go out because our close was full of cars and he didn’t want to lose his parking space 🙄. The weather was lovely for February, mild and sunny so we just went for a walk round the local streets which got our steps up.

I’d been awake since 3am today so made myself lie on the settee when we got back and had a half hour nap.I  don’t usually sleep well on Sunday nights (sure I would be better if I worked from home Mondays ) so hoping the walk and nap will mean I’ll be ok tonight.

• Like 7

On 2/18/2023 at 10:56 AM, Splice the mainbrace said:

Repacking day today after our 2 week South America cruise. Combined with the week in Brazil as well seems like we have been away for ages. 

After thinking that we would not be able to go onto Peru due to the political problems, Machu Picchu has reopened and for 5 days from tomorrow will be touring Peru.

You'll love it. It's a real experience.... not a tick in a box. Even the trip up to the site and back again has its own unique delights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Feeling sorry for myself. I started to feel a bit unwell last night and now have a raging fever, cough and feel like someone has hit me all over with a baseball bat. Did a covid test which was negative so more likely to be flu, a lot of that going around up here at the moment.

I had lots on this week and the way I feel right now none of it will be happening.

Sitting propped up on pillows on the sofa in my warm jamies and housecoat, under several a blankets and heating on high and I’m still cold. He ho it will hopefully be gone in a few days.

Hope you all feel better than I do, it really wouldn’t take much.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Feeling sorry for myself. I started to feel a bit unwell last night and now have a raging fever, cough and feel like someone has hit me all over with a baseball bat. Did a covid test which was negative so more likely to be flu, a lot of that going around up here at the moment.

I had lots on this week and the way I feel right now none of it will be happening.

Sitting propped up on pillows on the sofa in my warm jamies and housecoat, under several a blankets and heating on high and I’m still cold. He ho it will hopefully be gone in a few days.

I'm really sorry to hear that, take care and get well soon.

When you do get round to researching your ports I'd be interested to hear what you've come up with as we enjoy doing that too.

Best regards.

Damian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well, and wish you a speedy recovery.

I too am not feeling right, just hope whatever it is I don't succumb as we are due to go away next Monday.

Take care and get well soon.

Pam 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Sorry to hear you are not feeling so good, hopefully you will feel better soon.

I really have to start getting stuff ready for my holiday as we fly on Saturday. The problem is I hate doing it and I hate the actual packing too. Hubby had just decided he needs new black trousers too, I am leaving him to sort that himself.

Have a good day everyone 

Michelle

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1