P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Well we have just returned from a short break in the beautiful city of York. The whole stay, hotel and Italian restaurant we found, included in that statement. If you are on here and live anywhere near this beautiful city you are very lucky indeed. Have never been before and it certainly will not be our last visit. We had a great cruise down the river and we enjoyed our aft view from our seats 😉

We were in York today and are a half hours drive away, we usually shop there weekly but not always in the City Centre.

Which Italian Restaurant did you use?, we frequent Lucias in Swinegate

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

We were in York today and are a half hours drive away, we usually shop there weekly but not always in the City Centre.

Which Italian Restaurant did you use?, we frequent Lucias in Swinegate

It was called Enotica by L'uva -- on a bridge we can't remember the name of but near to the Radisson hotel. It was a lovely small place 🙂

Italian Restaurant & Wine Bar York | Enoteca by L’uva (enotecayork.com)

You are lucky to be so close ---- we had a fantastic time and are still having withdrawal symptoms!!!!

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DamianG said:

One particular property website now estimates the value between £268-£297k. Another website I looked at suggested that a typical mid-range income in 1977 was around £13k (which sounds on the high side to me but that's what I read) compared to £24k today. The differential in the rises between the two never fails to amaze me.

When I started work in 1972 my salary was £1024 per annum

20 minutes ago, davecttr said:

When I started work in 1972 my salary was £1024 per annum

My salary in 1973, was £1192 per annum, still have my first payslip somewhere in the loft, job title was Management Trainee, 2 years later I moved into the newly formed IT department, which consisted of 3 people all under age of 30, guess they thought no one older would understand computers. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 2

Well it I appear to have made the short list for extras for a TV Series being filmed locally, had a email to say they will be in touch regarding the filming and further details of the role. Can’t say anymore, but it is a period piece and expected to be on TV at some point towards end of 2023 early 2024. At the age of 70 my first foray into the world of acting. I did appear in Celebrity Masterchef a few years ago was fed food cooked by Rylan Clark and Cheney Hawkes, who were very chatty off camera, unlike the 2 presenters who were extremely standoffish. 

• Like 5

Morning all,

How is everyone this morning? Well I hope and feeling better for those of you that have been poorly.

I'm going over to see Mum this morning, and then plan to get things sorted to pack for going away on Monday, although I can't do any packing as I don't have a case!

I used to get £21 a week working as a junior secretary in London in 1974. 

Take care,

Pam 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

I don’t remember what my annual salary was but I was certainly happy taking home £72 clear each month in 1976 working in accountancy, paid my mum £25 a month housekeeping, thought I was rich then 😂

In 1978 I started as a trainee buyer at the department store Dickens and Jones in Regent St. I was initially paid £28 weekly which I think equated to £1500 pa.

I also gave my mum housekeeping - altho I don’t think she took anything off me for the first few months. My first purchase was a very sensible winter coat for my train travel into London.

That job only lasted 2 years tho and I then moved into cement!! 🤣

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

In 1978 I started as a trainee buyer at the department store Dickens and Jones in Regent St. I was initially paid £28 weekly which I think equated to £1500 pa.

I also gave my mum housekeeping - altho I don’t think she took anything off me for the first few months. My first purchase was a very sensible winter coat for my train travel into London.

Although you can't move much once you are into cement.

• Haha 14

6 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Nothing concrete though?

• Haha 8

16 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I did my store training in Dickens and Jones Gill - in 1973. I was at college in Leicester Square next to the big Odeon cinema. We had to do training in store each term. I went to John Lewis, Dickens and Jones, and Harrods. I was offered a job at Harrods which I did for a year but nearly got sacked because whilst dressing a window I left a mannequin with breasts exposed whilst I went to get more stock! Luckily, they let me off with a very stern warning. I loved working in Central London. 

I then moved on to a music publishing company for 17 years and finally general practice for the rest of my working life. Where have those years gone? 

Best wishes. Jane xxx

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I did my store training in Dickens and Jones Gill - in 1973. I was at college in Leicester Square next to the big Odeon cinema. We had to do training in store each term. I went to John Lewis, Dickens and Jones, and Harrods. I was offered a job at Harrods which I did for a year but nearly got sacked because whilst dressing a window I left a mannequin with breasts exposed whilst I went to get more stock! Luckily, they let me off with a very stern warning. I loved working in Central London. 

I then moved on to a music publishing company for 17 years and finally general practice for the rest of my working life. Where have those years gone? 

Best wishes. Jane xxx

I agree Jane.

Every Monday I used to say 

I wish it was Friday and my late dad used to say Don't wish your life away and how right he was.

For me I started in a travel agency.

I worked in a bank then got into sales.

Records, pharmacy sundries then OTC medicines and 37 years selling chocolate and sugar confectionery.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

16 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Best wishes. Jane xxx

Just proves what a small world we live in as I started work in 1974  with the BBC in the Aldwych.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Best wishes. Jane xxx

That’s a mixed career, Jane! Nothing like working in central London, I agree. Depending, I suppose, on how long it takes to get in. And whether there are transport strikes. So much to do at lunch times too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I agree Jane.

Every Monday I used to say 

I wish it was Friday and my late dad used to say Don't wish your life away and how right he was.

For me I started in a travel agency.

I worked in a bank then got into sales.

Records, pharmacy sundries then OTC medicines and 37 years selling chocolate and sugar confectionery.

That was my late dad's favourite expression too Graham - they knew a thing or two these dads. These posts have been great fun and given us all a chance to wander down memory lane.

Loved the photos from your meal out with Sarah. The food looked superb. I'm so glad to hear Sarah's doing well and hope it continues. Have a lovely weekend Graham.

Best wishes. Jane xxx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s a mixed career, Jane! Nothing like working in central London, I agree. Depending, I suppose, on how long it takes to get in. And whether there are transport strikes. So much to do at lunch times too.

Very mixed Harry but I've enjoyed it all. When I first started in Leicester Square, I, and most of us, were only 16/17 and we were given dire warnings about the whole area for our own safety, and naivety I suppose. "Under no circumstances venture into Greek Street during your lunch breaks" we were told. So where was the first place everyone went on that first day - Greek Street! It was a bit of an eye opener I must admit. Thankfully I came to no harm in my time in the West End. I only had to travel from the end of the Northern Line  so travelling was easy. It was a fantastic experience for a youngster.

Jane xxx

• Like 7