P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

My son & daughters and I got the alert  but my husband didn't and we're all on the same network, very strange.

I don't know if any of you will remember that my dad got scammed out of a considerable sum of money in Tenerife in January? Well he was contacted by a journalist who was wanting to expose the scam problems there and dad is in the Daily Mail today, horrendous photo of him though 😏

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11998149/Souvenir-shop-scammers-ae-caught-camera-trying-UK-tourists-Tenerife.html

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Curious - our devices did nothing, and neither did our daughter’s family’s in Yorkshire. Doubtless there’ll be an inquest into what went wrong. 

I had nothing, but my husband, with an identical smartphone did. Well that went well!

52 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We both got our alert at 3pm with a yes/no message if we wanted to be contacted again with an alert in future.

Oh I didn’t get a yes/no thing. They said on the tv you didn’t need to do anything.

3 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I had nothing, but my husband, with an identical smartphone did. Well that went well!

I got it but my friend who has the same phone and lives only a mile away did not.  He rang to see if I'd had it - when he realised I had,  he checked his settings and found the emergency alert option was off. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I’ve spoken to my Dad, he got his but my Mum didn’t, I didn’t think she would as hers is very old, it’s Tesco network which is the same as my Dad!

I'm on Tesco which uses O2 and DW is O2. I got it, she didn't.  We were on Azura until Thursday. I used the app, she didn't.  I believe it was probably P&O IT .😂

• Haha 4

Remember this was a test to try the system nationally to see what issues arise, there have been local tests over the last 12 months, so it’s not surprising there were issues with some phones and possibly 3, although the signal sent isn’t tied to your network provider. As indicated in earlier post phones with older operating systems may not work, it’s only guaranteed to work with iOS 14.5 and above and Android 11 and above.iOS 14.5 was released in April 2021 and Android 11 in September 2020, so if you have an older phone or haven’t updated OS then this might be my you didn’t get alert, or you might have Emergency Alerts turned off. 

This is what I picked from Samsung a few weeks ago when checking my in laws phones

A device needs to be on 4G or 5G to receive the alert.

However, there are some factors which might mean you will not receive an alert. These include:

• Where a device connects to 3G or a 2G signal (which often happens inside buildings)
• The device does not have the latest software update or the software update has not been released (older devices have a slower update cycle)
• The device is not able to receive the alerts as it is no longer supported
• The device is not a 4G-enabled device
• The device was switched off or in flight mode. Although if you are in proximity to a cellular tower when the alert is broadcast, you will receive the alert when your phone is switched back on
• The device was not connected to a mast broadcasting the Emergency Alert

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The alerts only work on 4g and 5g networks, hence my 2g and 3g phone stayed silent.

DW checked her expensive iPhone. " I didn't get it, blooming people can't get anything right, nincompoops"....,have you checked you settings dear to see if alerts are switched on?...of course they are....Oh!....Not P&O IT after all.

Edited by zap99
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The Telegraph is reporting that up to 10 million people didn’t get the alert. The government is saying it was a very small proportion of users on some mobile networks. 

Define small?

But, I wonder how many of the 10 million had their emergency notifications turned off, had old 2g / 3G phones or hadn’t done a software update for a while……🙄

• Like 2

Morning all, hope everyone is keeping well.

Saw that the Northern Lights were visible again down here last night, near Penzance.  We are on the opposite coast, so don't know if they would have been seen here.

Busy day for me, as I need to take get a new wiper for the car and take a trip to Tesco's today. 

It's our wedding anniversary today too, but I need to collect my daughter hospital in Truro this evening after her treatment so will possibly have celebratory meal later in the week.

I am still in limbo waiting for the oncologist to contact me, despite chasing with phone calls, last Monday, Friday and again today. I need to know what is happening as it is now less than three weeks til we are due on Arvia.

Hope you all have a good day.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

The Telegraph is reporting that up to 10 million people didn’t get the alert. The government is saying it was a very small proportion of users on some mobile networks. 

Define small?

3 is up to 10m. Can't blame the Government for everything. How many had their alerts turned off?. Up to 10m probably.

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

3 is up to 10m. Can't blame the Government for everything. How many had their alerts turned off?. Up to 10m probably.

But there are still many people whose phones are not 4g or 5g, and although 3g is planned to be phased out no timescale has yet been agreed, and my understanding is that 2g is not yet planned to be withdrawn. So why has the govt not included both these in their alert programme?

• Like 1

“Government spokesperson Simon Williams told us, “We are delighted with how the test went, all the right people got the alert, and the others, well, they didn’t – as we planned.

“You have to remember, in the midst of a major emergency, resources can be very scarce, so a decision must be made on who we want around to consume those precious resources as we look to rebuild our society

“And fortunately, your phones are an excellent way of determining who is worth saving. If you spend more than fifteen minutes a day on TikTok, you’re out. If your browsing history includes low-information conspiracy nonsense on BitChute, you’re out. If you’ve ever paid money to stream a Jim Davidson show, you’re out.

“If you didn’t get the alert, don’t take it personally, it’s just that an algorithm has determined that you have little to no value to society and we’d be better off without you.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 13