P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

16 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have been cruising for 20 years and always had an annual policy which included cruising.

Price rose quite a bit when I was put on HBP tablets.

After my heart attack 3 years ago the price rose significantly.

Yes travel policies always included cruising. 

I have just been out to collect my daughter as there are no trains she had to bus it into work leaving at 6 am this morning to get to Truro but her return bus was running late and therefore missed the connecting service. The next bus wouldn't have been until 10.30 pm. I had to take the scenic route too as the main road is closed, and the government want us to use public transport more!  Moan over🥴

Since I had my consultation on Wednesday, I had a phone call yesterday booking an appointment to plan my treatment, and a phone call today to book a MRI scan, so after waiting and having to chase them for the last six weeks things are now moving quickly.

I am also now all packed and ready to go to Southampton to board Arvia on Sunday, and have now found some  enthusiam.😀

• Like 16

14 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I have just been out to collect my daughter as there are no trains she had to bus it into work leaving at 6 am this morning to get to Truro but her return bus was running late and therefore missed the connecting service. The next bus wouldn't have been until 10.30 pm. I had to take the scenic route too as the main road is closed, and the government want us to use public transport more!  Moan over🥴

Since I had my consultation on Wednesday, I had a phone call yesterday booking an appointment to plan my treatment, and a phone call today to book a MRI scan, so after waiting and having to chase them for the last six weeks things are now moving quickly.

I am also now all packed and ready to go to Southampton to board Arvia on Sunday, and have now found some  enthusiam.😀

Have a great cruise

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Sending you good wishes for a wonderful cruise Pam.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Prices also rise significantly over 70, 80, 90. That was the problem we had finding policies.

FlexPlus is £65 p.a. for age 70+.  If you have a joint account this premium covers you both.   Medical screening of course can generate additional premiums which will be specific to the insured's medical conditions.  Cruising is included but for missed ports and cabin confinement there is an optional additional charge of £40(?).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Interesting insurance story here.  The end paragraph about possible new rules is rather intriguing.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/older-holidaymakers-face-prohibitive-travel-29948156

Does make you think what the hell are they doing and why no accountability to anyone ?

Looks like Silver Voices has really tried to highlight this problem .

What gets me is a person who his deemed medically fit but comes from a family with heart 

issues , decides they would be better to start taking Statins as a preventative not a 

treatment, suddenly will have their travel insurance hiked up.

The papers was running a story a few months back where the BMA was hoping to get 

people on them from a younger age before problems began .

The travel insurance industry would have a right windfall in profits ,should this ever happen .

This is down right money grabbing for the sake of it.

What next I carry paracetamol as I could get a headache whilst on holiday ? Tis plain greed !

Sad part is Silver Voices points out that some folk now decide to travel with no insurance ,

leaving others to pick up the pieces went it all goes wrong via Go Fund Me and other 

things .

• Like 11

It's not just travel insurance.Saga increased my car cover from under 500 quid to over 700 this year.It is one of only 2 companies that offer unlimited European cover.Normally after a phone call they back down and see sense,not this time.Went with the other firm for 600 quid.Could be because I turned 70 last year but I have 15 years no claims,so who knows.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Interesting insurance story here.  The end paragraph about possible new rules is rather intriguing.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/older-holidaymakers-face-prohibitive-travel-29948156

Interesting article, which will resonate with many of us. Basically, if you can find any possible medical change to use as a ‘reason’ - increase the premium because it’s pretty much a captive market.

That last paragraph is, as you say, intriguing - and in due course perhaps useful, depending on whether it has any teeth. Or whether it’s got teeth like Ofcom’s!

https://www.fca.org.uk/firms/consumer-duty

• Like 1

Our insurance jumped when Frank, who has no heart or BP problems whatsoever, was put on statins and a mild BP med as a preventative because his parents had heart problems when they were older. So we are now effectively being insured against our parents medical history. It beggars belief.

Avril

• Like 6

Doctors seem very keen to put people on statins.

This week, my husband had a routine health check and discovered that his cholesterol is higher than it should be. 

He’s got a phone appointment with the doctor in a couple of weeks time, and no doubt that the subject of statins will be raised. 

But, even before the appointment, he’s had a message from the surgery telling him he’s eligible for statins and to contact them for his prescription.

At this point, he has no intention of going on statins, and will address the high cholesterol by improving his diet. He wants to have at least the opportunity to improve his health naturally, rather than taking drugs for it. I have a feeling he will have to be quite firm about this during the upcoming doctors appointment, as I get the impression that there is a fair amount of pressure to go on statins 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Interesting article. ...I wonder if policies are reduced and refunded if you are taken off a drug? 

I think I probably know the answer to that one, but could be wrong.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Doctors seem very keen to put people on statins.

This week, my husband had a routine health check and discovered that his cholesterol is higher than it should be. 

He’s got a phone appointment with the doctor in a couple of weeks time, and no doubt that the subject of statins will be raised. 

But, even before the appointment, he’s had a message from the surgery telling him he’s eligible for statins and to contact them for his prescription.

At this point, he has no intention of going on statins, and will address the high cholesterol by improving his diet. He wants to have at least the opportunity to improve his health naturally, rather than taking drugs for it. I have a feeling he will have to be quite firm about this during the upcoming doctors appointment, as I get the impression that there is a fair amount of pressure to go on statins 

That's interesting. Exactly the same here for someone I know. Cholestrol slightly high. The last time managed to bring it down by themeselves naturally with no need for medication. This time the pharmacist appointment was all about getting them to be on statins. Has refused and now doing what they did last time to bring it down naturally. Tell him to be stubborn on the call and stick to his guns. If it doesn't fall that is another conversation, but it seems like everything today - lets pump drugs down people as a quick fix.

(PS This is not saying that some people haev to have medication - I have to have some for an eye condition - but I just seem to see a lot of people I know trying to be put on medication that, in the end they didn't need)

• Like 4

There lies the other problem or trap you can fall into .

Filling in your online holiday insurance  they ask ..

Has your Cholestrol levels been known to be raised EVER in your life time ?

The minute you say yes ,up goes your travel insurance costs .

You could not declare this and when things go wrong ,hope they do not go down the 

fail to disclose route and dump you .

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, kalos said:

You could not declare this and when things go wrong ,hope they do not go down the 

My thoughts exactly Kalos.

If the Doctor suggests statins and you politely decline it would probably be on record, and could cause problems as they look for excuses not to pay up sometime.  No win situation

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, kalos said:

There lies the other problem or trap you can fall into .

Filling in your online holiday insurance  they ask ..

The worst case I saw was a local family man who took out a mortgage protection insurance with a well known insurer. Some time later he had a heart attack and put in a claim. The grounds for refusal was that he had not told them that his deceased father had a hereditary kidney condition. How could he tell them if he did not know and how come they knew? They would not budge until it was reported on the local BBC TV news. They then paid up. The company no longer exists.

• Like 3

I have been offered statins, some years ago, although my cholesterol level has never been too high. I refused, partly because I know a few people get awful muscle pains on them, but also because I have been told (don't know if it is true) that GPs get extra pay to put people on statins, or can diagnose them with pre-diabetes and get them to go to a diabetic clinic.  I really don't know if this is so; someone on here who has worked in General Practice might be able to say.

Not, cruse related but I have a friend who has osteoporosis, a stomach problem and painful arm.   She was saying how cheap the travel insurance was.  It turned out she had declared nothing.

I spoke to her and explained  she really had no cover but her reply was "Well i'll just have to be careful then".  And this was for a Caribbean holiday,.  You can't help come people. 

• Like 5

I’ve been on statins for 15 years after having a blood test at work and have never had a problem with any side affects. My total cholesterol is over 5 but within that I also have high ‘good’ cholesterol so the ratio is ok. There must be a reason why not but even though heart attacks and strokes are one of the biggest killers there are no routine scans to identify arterial problems at a certain age (60?) on the nhs like there are for bowel cancer.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I have been offered statins, some years ago, although my cholesterol level has never been too high. I refused, partly because I know a few people get awful muscle pains on them, but also because I have been told (don't know if it is true) that GPs get extra pay to put people on statins, or can diagnose them with pre-diabetes and get them to go to a diabetic clinic.  I really don't know if this is so; someone on here who has worked in General Practice might be able to say.

I put off taking statins for some years on the same basis as you but as I got older I worried that my turning it down might impinge on my travel insurance and now take the lowest dose. On my travel insurance High Cholesterol by itself does not incur increases. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

My thoughts exactly Kalos.

If the Doctor suggests statins and you politely decline it would probably be on record, and could cause problems as they look for excuses not to pay up sometime.  No win situation

Before I took ill years ago my doctor told me I was a tiny amount above on my cholesterol

levels and I said "this will put my travel insurance up "   Her reply was "well I  have not informed

you, as the amount is so tiny ."

A year later I was showing normal levels  but out of the blue someone in the practice sent 

me a letter telling me I had had raised levels and would I like to go on statins ?

At the time I was fuming, as now I had no choice but to declare raised cholesterol levels.

I chose not to go on statins at the time but this made no difference as I had been told 

my levels had been raised in my life time, so now had had to click yes .

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I put off taking statins for some years on the same basis as you but as I got older I worried that my turning it down might impinge on my travel insurance and now take the lowest dose. On my travel insurance High Cholesterol by itself does not incur increases. 

I have been on statins for a long time and like you is my only med or condition. AFAIK it hasn't affected my premium.

• Like 2