P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Well, home from our Spirit of Adventure cruise. Disembarkation was a slick process at Dover and we were home at 10am .

I will definitely do a report when I’ve settled in.  We enjoyed many aspects of the cruise, but, as a pair of confirmed introverts, struggled with some of the dining arrangements.  There are tables for two, but if you think the tables are close together on P&O, some of the tables on Saga were just an inch apart, effectively a table for four.  It was quite difficult to get away from people, which is probably helps to explain why we brought home an unexpected souvenir - we have both tested positive for the disease that cannot be named 😞

Hopefully we didn’t spread it - when I started feeling rough on Friday night we spent most of our time in the cabin.

We have another Saga cruise booked for next May. I think, once the dust has settled, we will have to do some sort of evaluation. Did we enjoy it enough to warrant the risk of being ill? 

• Like 15

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Well, home from our Spirit of Adventure cruise. Disembarkation was a slick process at Dover and we were home at 10am .

I will definitely do a report when I’ve settled in.  We enjoyed many aspects of the cruise, but, as a pair of confirmed introverts, struggled with some of the dining arrangements.  There are tables for two, but if you think the tables are close together on P&O, some of the tables on Saga were just an inch apart, effectively a table for four.  It was quite difficult to get away from people, which is probably helps to explain why we brought home an unexpected souvenir - we have both tested positive for the disease that cannot be named 😞

Hopefully we didn’t spread it - when I started feeling rough on Friday night we spent most of our time in the cabin.

We have another Saga cruise booked for next May. I think, once the dust has settled, we will have to do some sort of evaluation. Did we enjoy it enough to warrant the risk of being ill? 

We both came home from our Princess cruise with IT, and I imagine any large holiday hotel would probably have similar results. So unless we want to become a recluse, we just have to take that risk.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We both came home from our Princess cruise with IT, and I imagine any large holiday hotel would probably have similar results. So unless we want to become a recluse, we just have to take that risk.

Levels are really high at the moment with the new variant. Edinburgh is bad because of all the folks mixing at several shows a day at the fringe.

As you say it’s sit at home forever or take calculated risks.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

As both a parent and NHS staff with 20 years service (and I do see it very much as serving the public) this is the first time I’ve ever been ashamed to work in the NHS. 

As a service we have let the families down in the worst imaginable way and things have to change in the most radical way. There can no longer be a culture of personal/organisational reputation above doing what’s right.

Unfortunately I saw this many times during my police career and obstruction by people who should have known better. They soon changed their tune when I threatened to arrest them for attempting to pervert the course of justice.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Sorry to read this, hope you don't suffer too much and get better soon.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

Yes, for each murder and attempted murder.

If and when they change the law about appearing for sentence , while they are at it

A judge should have the power to sentence them to no visitors for a few years .

This would stop weirdos who will want to marry her or be a pen pal.

Deny her the right to family friends etc, as she has to those poor families.

I wonder if she will play the "Loopy" card and try for Rampton hozzie  as Leslie Alitt did ?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Hope you are not too ill. I will look forward to reading your review 

Michelle 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We have another Saga cruise booked for next May

Sorry to hear the Covid spoilt your holiday a little ,I hope your May cruise is infection free.🙂

• Like 5

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We’ve been on some Warner Hotel breaks and have managed to not get Covid, probably because we still maintained some control over our surroundings. The dining tables were much more spaced out at Warners than on my cruise. At Warners, the spaces for guests to sit were more spacious, and it was easy to find somewhere to sit in a  well ventilated area. Even in the entertainment venue at Warners, some subtle rearrangement of the furniture meant that we could enjoy the entertainment in a slightly distanced way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Levels are really high at the moment with the new variant. Edinburgh is bad because of all the folks mixing at several shows a day at the fringe.

As you say it’s sit at home forever or take calculated risks.

We managed the risks well until now - can’t help thinking that, the risk of getting Covid on a cruise is very high, and when balanced against the level of enjoyment achieved, I will decide that cruising is calculated at a too high risk level for me to accept in future. 

However, there’s loads of other things I can do, without having to sit at home 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Sorry to read this, hope you don't suffer too much and get better soon.

Thank you. I think I’m over the worst now. As many people before me have said, I think I’ve had worse colds.  I’m still rather fatigued - I’ve managed to get two loads of washing out on the line, and the effort has made me rather hot and sweaty. Whereas my husband is still at the ‘shivery’ stage. He’s sitting there with a dressing gown on ! 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, kalos said:

Sorry to hear the Covid spoilt your holiday a little ,I hope your May cruise is infection free.🙂

At least it’s was just a 10 day holiday - it was just the last two days that were lost. 

I think we will end up doing the May holiday, as we’ve paid a substantial balance, and see how we feel after that about booking other cruises. 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We managed the risks well until now - can’t help thinking that, the risk of getting Covid on a cruise is very high, and when balanced against the level of enjoyment achieved, I will decide that cruising is calculated at a too high risk level for me to accept in future. 

However, there’s loads of other things I can do, without having to sit at home 

Indeed, we all need to do our own risk benefit analysis. Even a visit to the supermarket is a calculated risk for some folks.

Glad you are not too poorly.

• Like 4

I seem to have spent all day on my laptop, as first off I booked an excursion for my cruise on Britannia and then researched and booked flights to Sicily in October. Still need to book a hotel and train tickets, so that will probably be tomorrow's job!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Thank you, I think I’m over the worst of it.

As you know, these things affect men more than Ladies. DW got it recently and had very mild cold symptoms.  I didn't get it but had quite a heavy cold. I got nagged into doing a fair few tests. All negative,  but I had the worst symptoms.  Man flu is very unfair. I hope you get well soon and are able to give your husband the necessary care.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Megabear, after my little flutter on Dutch Decoy the other week I dragged poor OH into Paddy Power today to get my winnings.  We were like two naughty children!!!   I got £16, so I asked him to check when his next run was and it is Thursday so i put my original stake back on.  He said the odds were very high  a few days ago but were going down and down.  He said he thinks it was even 20/1 yesterday.  I only got 9/1.

Then  I went next door to the Charity Shop and bought a load of jigsaws  with my winnings.

Happy Bunny here!  🤣

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Megabear, after my little flutter on Dutch Decoy the other week I dragged poor OH into Paddy Power today to get my winnings.  We were like two naughty children!!!   I got £16, so I asked him to check when his next run was and it is Thursday so i put my original stake back on.  He said the odds were very high  a few days ago but were going down and down.  He said he thinks it was even 20/1 yesterday.  I only got 9/1.

Then  I went next door to the Charity Shop and bought a load of jigsaws  with my winnings.

Happy Bunny here!  🤣

Brilliant news.  Yes, he's in good spirits for York and looking good so fingers crossed for more success for him and you.  The odds are dropping as at present he's one of the most popular horses on the courses, not the best but with a huge following.

Busy planning my trip up to stay with my BIL to go across for the races.  Apparently Ladies Day so hoping for good weather for my hat.  Just waiting to make sure he's declared to run as I was notified he has an alternate entry at Goodwood in case he doesn't make the cut.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, grapau27 said:

The only phone number I give is my mobile.

Only my late mam's sister rings our landline so I let the phone ring out and ring 1471 for the number and if it is my favourite auntie we will ring her back on our mobile.

On one occasion I answered and it was spam so I  blew on my whistle next to the phone and those calls are very rare now.

It might give you some satisfaction, but most modern phone systems are designed to prevent acoustic shock, that is a high pitched noise coming down the line, so in majority of cases they won’t hear the blast of the whistle.

I used to manage the installation of call centre systems for my employer when I was working all the headsets had acoustic shock prevention set on the headsets at around 100db, a whistle emits from around 110db upwards.

We also recorded calls, so anyone who abused a call agent would not only have the call recorded, but the number dialled from. 

We have Call Guardian on our landline, so anyone who is not in the phone book on the phone has to announce their name, most scammers or robodiallers will hang up.

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 2