P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Good Morning Everyone

It's a very chilly -1 degrees here this morning. I thought I'd go for an early walk with Ted this morning but he's not interested and has now gone back to bed. What a life my dog has!

Back in the day, my best friend's father was the producer of Dr Who and he took us along for a recording. It was absolutely fascinating but when you've seen a Dalek up close and personal it takes the fear away - a bit like meeting your secret boy- band crush and realising he's got spots! 

Did you Strictly fans all enjoy the show last night? It's getting tough at the top now but I thought it was a great hour of entertainment. Now though comes the time when your favourites start to leave. Shame, but someone has to go.

Yesterday we held a small fund-raiser for our local hospice. We have a communal hall where I live and all the residents donated time and raffle/ tombola prizes. I did teas, coffees and cakes, and all our families and friends came along to support. We raised just shy of £500 which the hospice will very much appreciate. It was a really lovely day.

Have a good Sunday everyone. Best wishes. Jane xx

• Like 21

6 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Good morning.

It is -1°c here and yet another heavy frost.  I am desperate for the mornings to start getting lighter again because I hate going outdoors when it is cold and dark.

We had more bad news last night, my sister rang to let us know that her husband should have been taken into the Dougie Mac hospice yesterday afternoon but was staying at the Royal Stoke because he is to ill to be moved so we have unrestricted 24 hour visiting times because the end is so close.

So sorry to hear this Josy. Your life has been so very sad these last few months yet you've been so stoic and generous with your time on here. Please God your strength continues. Jane xx

• Like 22

32 minutes ago, Beckett said:

So sorry to hear this Josy. Your life has been so very sad these last few months yet you've been so stoic and generous with your time on here. Please God your strength continues. Jane xx

Thank you Jane.  I think that I have shed more tears in the last few months than in the rest of my life.  We just have to dig deep and try to support those who are worse off than ourselves, wherever you look there is always someone having a harder time than you are.  Things can only get better.  DH and I were talking last night and we agreed that we don't know how my nephew is able to do his job working with people who are living on the streets in the city centre many of them with drug and alcohol abuse problems when his sister and father have both been so ill through no fault of their own.

I suspect that it all due the way that we have been raised by our parents.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 17

55 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Good morning.

It is -1°c here and yet another heavy frost.  I am desperate for the mornings to start getting lighter again because I hate going outdoors when it is cold and dark.

We had more bad news last night, my sister rang to let us know that her husband should have been taken into the Dougie Mac hospice yesterday afternoon but was staying at the Royal Stoke because he is to ill to be moved so we have unrestricted 24 hour visiting times because the end is so close.

I'm so sorry to hear you have more bad news Josy.

God bless you all 🙏.

• Like 8

What does happen when you are short of sleep - I was watching Strictly (no spoilers) at the usual time, and suddenly found I had missed the last two dancers, I think Bobby and Ellie, and it was the end of the programme!  And I was interested, which does not apply to all programmes.  Now need to stay awake this evening  to see who goes out.  Maybe trying to snooze after lunch would be a good idea.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Good morning.

Really sorry to hear you reporting this Josy, I will be thinking about you all

Michelle

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Good morning.

All sounds too familiar I’m afraid Josy. I went to visit my wife on a Tuesday in hospital totally unaware until I got there that she had suffered a major stroke, doctor advised me that they expected her to survive hours or at best a couple of days. I asked for her to be taken home as I knew that would be where she wanted to die, the doctor told me that she probably wouldn’t survive the journey so I very reluctantly agreed for her to remain in hospital where she died two days later. I shall spend the rest of my life wondering if I made the right decision. As others have said on here, it’s great that you are supporting your family and it is quite amazing where we humans find the strength to carry on in such circumstances, but be mindful of your own health as well. I send you much love.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Grandad John said:

All sounds too familiar I’m afraid Josy. I went to visit my wife on a Tuesday in hospital totally unaware until I got there that she had suffered a major stroke, doctor advised me that they expected her to survive hours or at best a couple of days. I asked for her to be taken home as I knew that would be where she wanted to die, the doctor told me that she probably wouldn’t survive the journey so I very reluctantly agreed for her to remain in hospital where she died two days later. I shall spend the rest of my life wondering if I made the right decision. As others have said on here, it’s great that you are supporting your family and it is quite amazing where we humans find the strength to carry on in such circumstances, but be mindful of your own health as well. I send you much love.

I'm so sorry to hear this John.

Paulines mam and dad and my mam died at home.

My dad unexpectedly fell and hit his head in hospital and died there seconds after we got to his hospital bed.

• Like 8

Josy, you will be keen for 2023 to end and for 2024 to allow a bit of normality back into your family’s life, albeit a different normality.  It’s a shame your BiL could not go to the hospice but hopefully his passing will be peaceful.  It is, at least, in a ward which he has grown used to

The weather today matches your gloom, with thick, hanging, drizzle.  What a contrast to yesterday

The town Xmas lights were turned on yesterday, which at least shine through the weather

Have the best day you can, everyone.  It’s the only 26 November 2023 you’ll ever have

• Like 13

51 minutes ago, Grandad John said:

I’m so sorry for your loss and having had to make the same decision for my Mum I can understand how you’re feeling. Please be assured that you did the absolute best thing for her as she was somewhere where she could be kept comfortable and looked after.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Grandad John said:

What a sad post John. I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear much-loved wife.  

You will never know whether or not you did the right thing but had your good lady passed on the journey home, your thoughts would have been the opposite to what they are now.  For what it's worth my thoughts are that your lovely lady was in warmth, comfort, and peace with her family. 

Love and strength.  Jane xx

• Like 12

15 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I have never watched Dr Who since the first episode when the daleks terrified me.  I used to go and read in another room every Saturday afternoon when it came on the TV, fortunately DH isn't  a fan either. 

I still get creeped out when I  go into Oscars in Newcastle because there is a dalek just inside the door there.  If I could persuade my friends to never eat there on any of our ladies nights out I would be really happy.

A house near us used to have a Dalek in the front garden.  Disappeared a few years ago.  I always used to wonder if there was a higher proportion of traffic collisions near there because of people looking at the Dalek instead of where they were going.

Several years ago we were visiting friends in Boise, Idaho.  Noticed a house there that had a Tardis in the front garden.

• Like 4

Afternoon all,

Have just been catching up with the boards.

After a chilly yesterday our temps have now returned to double figures and we've got rain again.

Josy I am so sorry to read the news of your BIL and hope he

I learnt yesterday that a friend has been diagnosed with stomach cancer which is terminal and has only 4-6 weeks.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

A house near us used to have a Dalek in the front garden.  Disappeared a few years ago.  I always used to wonder if there was a higher proportion of traffic collisions near there because of people looking at the Dalek instead of where they were going.

Several years ago we were visiting friends in Boise, Idaho.  Noticed a house there that had a Tardis in the front garden.

You are probably right about the rubber neckers, I used to think the same when we had a big blue police box outside the local butchers near where Jodie Whittaker lived.

• Like 4

Had a good day yesterday and no problems with the traffic or roadworks going up to Exeter yesterday. In fact we made such good time getting out of the show ground and down the road we arrived at the pub booked for our meal an hour early. Fortunately they were able to accommodate us so we didn't have to wait for a table.

Everyone enjoyed the show and had first and front row seats, so no heads obsuring the performance.

20231125_153419.jpg

20231125_145313.jpg

20231125_153529.jpg

20231125_153726.jpg

20231125_154919.jpg

20231125_155624.jpg

20231125_160939.jpg

• Like 14