P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

12 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I already take probiotics, once a day, but will look to try this. 

After heavy dose of antibiotics you would benefit from a good pre biotic as well as taking a probiotic. 

Eddie is spot on about the foods as well. Any fermented food is good. Have you tried making your own sauerkraut, it’s really easy, better than shop bought and full of good bacteria. Miso soup is also really good

Saurkraut

finely shred a medium to large white cabbage

2 table spoons of fine salt

1 teaspoon of caraway seed

massage the salt into the cabbage for about 10 minutes (you should start to get some liquid out), make sure every bit of cabbage is mixed well in, massaging will start to create a brine

add in the caraway at the end and mix through

place the cabbage in a sterilised sealable glass jar and weight it down to ensure the liquid from the cabbage covers the cabbage. 

keep at room temperature for about a week.

It should start to ferment in a day or two, NB make sure you “burp” it twice a day as the gas starts to build up and can cause the jar to explode. Just press down on the cabbage and you will see the gas bubbles coming up.

Lakeland sell a proper fermentation jar with a gas release valve and glass weights specifically for making saurkraut. I think amazon sell them as well. I use them as I make saurkraut regularly.

.https://www.lakeland.co.uk/72470/lakeland-fermentation-jar-with-air-release-valve-1l

Once  it’s ready transfer to Kilner jar or some such and store in the fridge. The finished product should have a fresh cabbagey smell. If there is a sour smell then bacteria has got into the process, everything needs to be sterilised through the whole process.

hope your stomach sellae’s soon.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

We're both fine thank you Sue. Frank had a quick check up on Tuesday and 'everything is  satisfactory' (to use the doctor's words), so we're happy with that👍

Avril

Very pleased to hear it!

Don’t tell anyone Avril but I’ve never had an oatcake either 🤭

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Highland Oatcakes are the best we think though the ones opposite Central Forest Park from 'Six Towns' are good too - though rather on the large side. (ie not thick but large!) 

Yes they are massive!

Hmm perhaps I’ll have to get some probiotic tablets. I was born not liking milk - honestly! Milky things make me heave! My mum had to write me a note every year excusing me from the school milk …

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Hmm perhaps I’ll have to get some probiotic tablets. I was born not liking milk - honestly! Milky things make me heave! My mum had to write me a note every year excusing me from the school milk …

You probably fell into the school years where they thought that children needed milk because following the war years a lot of children had various deficiencies due to rationing.  I was born unable to tolerate milk or any other dairy products and 70 years later I still have really bad Indigestion if I have anything milky.

• Like 1

ea70c852ad2a2ba577e00c018f03516b.jpg.d63ff6ad1d60e8b9e64efa6cfeceb84c.jpg

I once thought I saw a cruise ship full of dentists ,,,

turns out it was a tooth ferry 😉

Morning on this icy misty 4.c morning that the rain is melting the snow away .

@lincslady hope you get sorted and whatever they diagnose ,your treatment 

they give you puts you on the right track again -take care .

Oat cakes ,welsh cakes are all very nice but this Tuesday will be pancake day !

Question is will you give a toss or stick to your cakes 😉

My fave was "Guns and Oatcakes"   a great Stoke rock band  that played wonderful

tunes such as Oh Baby Baby (Britney ) whilst I got slowly drunk after a hard days work 🙃 but that's another story . 

Have a good day everyone 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

16 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

We're both fine thank you Sue. Frank had a quick check up on Tuesday and 'everything is  satisfactory' (to use the doctor's words), so we're happy with that👍

Avril

Nice to hear you are both ok, I was wondering how you were both doing

Michelle

• Like 7

13 hours ago, lincslady said:

I have never tried an oatcake, but willing to give it a go.  I do love Welshcakes (have to admit having a bit of Welsh blood) and occasionally have some for breakfast, warmed in the oven and a bit of butter on.  Not very healthy - especially as my Dr., now wonders if I have heart failure and is suggesting an echocardiogram, when he rang earlier.

Fingers crossed all is ok for you lincslady

Michelle

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

First day back home the side effects of ABs kicking in, not pleasant and won’t go into details. Phone call at 10 this morning from GP Practice Pharmacist to arrange the requested blood tests and expect a call in the next few days to review how wound in gum is healing. practice on the ball.with follow ups. 

I slept for 6 hours during day, something I very rarely, but fell better for it given  the lack of decent sleep in ward mainly due to uncomfortable bed, being in a drip and “shouty man” in bed in the corner.

Sleep is the best medicine, sleep another 6 hours today if you need to. Hope you feel better

Michelle

• Like 5

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Very pleased to hear it!

Don’t tell anyone Avril but I’ve never had an oatcake either 🤭

I’ve never had one either, in fact I don’t know what they are

Michelle

• Like 4

Well it’s Friday, which means Azura has returned, but it also means that for the next nine days it’s Carnival!

All the stages have been built, the ‘puddle’ has been drained, the drinks booths are lining the streets, the security fencing is up, and every evening the streets will be closed to traffic to let the celebrations proceed.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

It should start to ferment in a day or two, NB make sure you “burp” it twice a day as the gas starts to build up and can cause the jar to explode. Just press down on the cabbage and you will see the gas bubbles coming up.

Does that include ones stomach.🤢

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Well it’s Friday, which means Azura has returned, but it also means that for the next nine days it’s Carnival!

All the stages have been built, the ‘puddle’ has been drained, the drinks booths are lining the streets, the security fencing is up, and every evening the streets will be closed to traffic to let the celebrations proceed.

They are setting up for the carnival here in Caleta de Fuste which starts today and runs through the weekend. The weather forecast looks good with some wind today but sun and 25oC. 

• Like 8

I'll have to try oatcakes.  I thought they were little round solid biscuit things that could break your teeth.  I was wrong.  I started to wonder when you said you fill them with things like cheese, bacon, tomatoes etc.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I'll have to try oatcakes.  I thought they were little round solid biscuit things that could break your teeth.  I was wrong.  I started to wonder when you said you fill them with things like cheese, bacon, tomatoes etc.

If you google oatcakes, you will find they come in various shapes and sizes  from thick round hard biscuits to large thin soft ones, savoury or sweet, filled or seasoned,  Yorkshire ones are cooked from below and have bubbly tops, who would have thought, anyways that's a wrap!!!👍😇

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Here you go a good old Staffordshire oatcake with bacon and cheese......mmmm

Screenshot_20240209-104805_Gallery.jpg

Oh my word, they look absolutely delicious😋 Now to find some.

Avril

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Here you go a good old Staffordshire oatcake with bacon and cheese......mmmm

Screenshot_20240209-104805_Gallery.jpg

Now that looks good.I was thinking on the same lines as Indi.Essex supermarkets are quite diverse nowdays,I'll start looking😊.

• Like 4

I looked them up yesterday

A yeast-risen pancake?  They sound, and look, delicious.  I don’t know how I’d get to try them without travelling?  Make my own maybe?

As I googled yesterday I noticed on of those picture ads, at the top of the screen, from Waitrose, with a picture showing what looked like flatbread/pancake type offerings in a plastic wrap.  I’ll follow that up.  I don’t remember ever seeing them on the shelves - but I’ve never looked.  I know they have a good assortment of breads & near-breads

Scottish oatcakes are lovely things too, but best with a bit of tasty cheese on top, as a quick snack or as an end to a nice meal

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I looked them up yesterday

A yeast-risen pancake?  They sound, and look, delicious.  I don’t know how I’d get to try them without travelling?  Make my own maybe?

As I googled yesterday I noticed on of those picture ads, at the top of the screen, from Waitrose, with a picture showing what looked like flatbread/pancake type offerings in a plastic wrap.  I’ll follow that up.  I don’t remember ever seeing them on the shelves - but I’ve never looked.  I know they have a good assortment of breads & near-breads

Scottish oatcakes are lovely things too, but best with a bit of tasty cheese on top, as a quick snack or as an end to a nice meal

No yeast Eddie, at least not in ours. Just 4 ingredients: flour, oats, water and a pinch of salt.

• Like 4