P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Oh, good for you!

It’s another sunny day.  We set out walking fairly early and there was a lot of frost still on the grass.  Nice and non-squelchy tho’.

Have skate for supper tonight and have taken delivery of a pasta meal for tomorrow.  First consignment of an Xmas present subscription.  Frozen Xmas beef for Sunday lunch - looks like catering is sewn up for a few days

Thank you. Do you ever go to an "in" star rated place and think "so what" well today was that day. To be honest the "gastro" pubs in Wells are fine but by no means right up there, good but not excellent. I may cringe at the charges at Morston Hall but they are in a different league. Brother is yet again excluded from home this weekend while SIL continues to try and sort one of her sons out. She tells me that Brother and I will be at Morston Hall each day and her darn son has paid as a 'thankyou'. RESULT.

Invalid girl seems fully recovered. News from breeder, boy is doing exceptionally well (I prefer not to think of my cute doggy in that way). All bitches have apparently been covered multiple times. Eheww. Anyhow there have been enough 'interactions' for my boy to go spend time in the fields with the resident dogs of another breed (Otterhounds). I think we need to wait 2-3 weeks now. Am I stupid but i want to go visit him and scoop him back home to sit on my knee like a cuddly toy. BUT that is not the deal. 1 or more (may) get pregnant and then potential buyers can come see both parents. It will be a month after (if) a ***** gets in the family way.

Brother has arrived so best get going, get him settled then we can sort out

58 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Thank you. Do you ever go to an "in" star rated place and think "so what" well today was that day. To be honest the "gastro" pubs in Wells are fine but by no means right up there, good but not excellent. I may cringe at the charges at Morston Hall but they are in a different league. Brother is yet again excluded from home this weekend while SIL continues to try and sort one of her sons out. She tells me that Brother and I will be at Morston Hall each day and her darn son has paid as a 'thankyou'. RESULT.

Invalid girl seems fully recovered. News from breeder, boy is doing exceptionally well (I prefer not to think of my cute doggy in that way). All bitches have apparently been covered multiple times. Eheww. Anyhow there have been enough 'interactions' for my boy to go spend time in the fields with the resident dogs of another breed (Otterhounds). I think we need to wait 2-3 weeks now. Am I stupid but i want to go visit him and scoop him back home to sit on my knee like a cuddly toy. BUT that is not the deal. 1 or more (may) get pregnant and then potential buyers can come see both parents. It will be a month after (if) a ***** gets in the family way.

Brother has arrived so best get going, get him settled then we can sort out

Morston Hall each day?  Sounds good!

No. 1 Cromer was the big disappointment for us in the area - also Galton Blackiston but we found it pretty dire.

I know that everyone normally posts weather reports in the morning, but I just peeked out of our back door.  Fog rolling in from the Trent,  temperature about freezing, and thoroughly miserable. 

Oh how I hate the UK in January (and February,  and most of March! ).

• Like 1

I just took a quick look out side and it looks like another cold day, foggy and a heavy frost on the garden and the cars parked in the drive next door are iced over.  It's mornings like this that I am glad that our car is parked in the garage.  I am expecting it to be cold at the vaccine hub today.  I will be looking like Bibendum when I am dressed in thick tights under my trousers, a pair of socks and 2 jumpers.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

I know that everyone normally posts weather reports in the morning, but I just peeked out of our back door.  Fog rolling in from the Trent,  temperature about freezing, and thoroughly miserable. 

When I was working I had a workmate who felt like you and as he was getting ready to 

retire he would show us long stay holiday's that he was planning on taking . 28 nights 

and there was some right bargains to be had . Looking out the window at a frosty -2.c

it does seem a very good idea for what you would pay.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kalos said:

When I was working I had a workmate who felt like you and as he was getting ready to 

retire he would show us long stay holiday's that he was planning on taking . 28 nights 

and there was some right bargains to be had . Looking out the window at a frosty -2.c

We are getting a bit like your mate, we have booked a month in Lanzagrote in Feb as a taster for spending more time in warmer climes during winter. When we were looking there were some cracking deals which would likely work out not much dearer than staying at home. We have booked a nice apartment on a small complex for adults only. Roll on Feb.

• Like 10

If you’re happy to take on a long drive at either end of your holiday/winter sojourn, Brittany Ferries have some amazing long-stay self catering deals in France and Spain.  

Meanwhile, it’s a pleasant enough January morning here.  We’ve lost the wall to wall sun but it’s calm and dry and we’re well above zero - hopefully up to 8°C later

Have a good day 

Bon Voyage Pam 🚢 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, kalos said:

Pre-Covid we did go for four week holiday breaks (villa) in Lanzarote in the winter,  but normally in the November/December period. Our one time going in January/February was a bit of a disaster.  The weather was cold and wet, and the villa, like most, was not really designed for the cold.

Our preference is Florida in February - villa in Sarasota for the month.

• Like 4

Every time I come on here someone has posted more policital cartoons / comments / jokes etc. What is it about NO POLITICS ON CRUISE CRITIC that is so difficult to understand??  Sorry for the shouting but I do have other things I could be doing than continually having to delete posts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Definitely not a wheelie bin washing day then wowzz. Much nicer to stay indoors with a book in one hand and a glass of wine in the other😊

Avril

• Like 2

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Good morning everyone.

Had a good journey up to Southampton. Queen Mary 2 was docked when we arrived.

Cloudy here, can see Iona from our room😀

See you soon, take care and stay safe.

Pam

2°C and sunny here.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise Pam.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211221_223815.jpg

• Like 2

cute.jpg.051a7cb7f27f1c07584e899f77f4ff5d.jpg

Good morning guy's how's it going :classic_smile:
The Mrs was getting a bit fed up so I thought I would cheer her up and surprise her
with this little bundle of cuteness called Cindy aged 9/2 weeks .:classic_ohmy:

Sorry to say she said " I don't want her as I'm allergic to dog hair "
I'm gutted but she has to go so if you know anyone that could give her a good home ..
Getting on a bit in years but she cooks cleans and Irons and holds a full driving licence

and is fully house trained .:classic_love::classic_unsure::classic_wink:

Have a great day and stay safe :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 11

14 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Morston Hall each day?  Sounds good!

No. 1 Cromer was the big disappointment for us in the area - also Galton Blackiston but we found it pretty dire.

Harry he is here for 2 more days and my place at dinner has already been given away for tonight as one of his sailing friends is here at his house in Brancaster. So much for family loyalty he is taking him instead. I don't care really as I can take or leave Morston Hall. It is a tad 'twiddly' and unlike Epicurean I am not there every day so don't feel able to say no bread, no explanations and no bits and bobs. Every waiter in Epicurean thinks I am mad but £25ish is a good price just for starter and main  and very occasionally some cheese.  At Morston I get increasingly impatient so now just for one night I'm sure I will hold it together as my brother loves it. Heard the same about No 1 Cromer and haven't been.

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Definitely not a wheelie bin washing day then wowzz. Much nicer to stay indoors with a book in one hand and a glass of wine in the other😊

Avril

Actually, a bit early for wine, even for me! 

Just watched Andy Murray - a bit outclassed,  but pretty amazing that he is playing at all, really.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I did think of you this morning Avril as we were driving over High Hoyland on our way to Barnsley. We had a stunning crystal clear morning after a sharp frost, however looking down across Barnsley it was below the cloud with the sun bouncing off the tops of the cloud, really stunning, the sort of view where you wished you had a decent camera. Once we drove down into the pea souper the temp dropped 4oC and the icy fog clung to everything, we were glad to get away and see the sun again.

A beautiful sunny morning now. Had a really deep frost over night but everywhere was white and pretty first thing. Must admit I am not a fan of January and February and remember meeting some elderly folk when we went to Cyprus many years ago who spent 6 weeks in the hotel over the Winter. The deals were amazing and the hotel beautiful (and had heating). Can't believe that we are now at the age where we can retire though (we getting there) ..... not sure where time goes ....

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

I did think of you this morning Avril as we were driving over High Hoyland on our way to Barnsley. We had a stunning crystal clear morning after a sharp frost, however looking down across Barnsley it was below the cloud with the sun bouncing off the tops of the cloud, really stunning, the sort of view where you wished you had a decent camera. Once we drove down into the pea souper the temp dropped 4oC and the icy fog clung to everything, we were glad to get away and see the sun again.

It's a true fact Phil, things always look better when you're on the outside looking in.😉.I can sadly report that things have not improved, and according to the trusty weather app we are now at 2c with a feel of -1c, however I can now see the end of the garden.

I won't be cleaning any wheelie bins either and shall later on be taking my own advice.😁

Avril

Sunny and Foggy at the same time here. In normal times I would now be boarding Iona for my winter cruise but not to be this year. At least I did not lose any money and with my cold now on day 25 I may well have failed the pre departure health check anyway. At least I am eating OK and don't feel unwell apart from that irritating congestion and cough. Gave the bird table and feeder a good clean just so the litle tweeties don't give each other the dreaded lurgy. Good luck to all those sailing on Iona today.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Sunny and Foggy at the same time here. In normal times I would now be boarding Iona for my winter cruise but not to be this year. At least I did not lose any money and with my cold now on day 25 I may well have failed the pre departure health check anyway. At least I am eating OK and don't feel unwell apart from that irritating congestion and cough. Gave the bird table and feeder a good clean just so the litle tweeties don't give each other the dreaded lurgy. Good luck to all those sailing on Iona today.

Got to look after the little tweeties. I put out their food yesterday from a new bag. Went to town, bank, lunch etc. I said to DW ' just popping into the health food shop, no sunflower seeds in the bird food '🤣

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Back home and warming up after freezing in vaccine hub.  We had a good morning, no grumpy customers, the only downside was 84 no shows, why book if you don’t want to come  in for the vaccine ?

We are winding our jab centre down, it will be Saturday mornings only, it has been very quiet the last few weeks. These local jab centres have been a great success with our area being the highest jabbed in Kirklees at 96%. Makes it all worth while. 

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We are winding our jab centre down, it will be Saturday mornings only, it has been very quiet the last few weeks. These local jab centres have been a great success with our area being the highest jabbed in Kirklees at 96%. Makes it all worth while. 

We are winding down too, we are only open 9 - 12 Friday, Saturday and Sunday this week and at the moment we are only planned to be open 9 - 12 Saturday and Sunday next weekend unless there is an unexpected rush of people wanting to book vaccines.

I have occasionally helped out at another hub mid week when the lead person who is also our lead called me to ask if I  had spare time but they only opened for 3 hours on Thursday this week and may not open at all next week.

It is brilliant in my opinion that we have reached a point where closing some of the hubs can be considered.

• Like 5