P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

47 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Hanley is a place that I avoid, only going there when I absolutely have to.  I did have to go to Hanley Health Centre last summer for a routine check and was stunned to have to pay £1.70 to park for 1 hour.

If you have to go again park on the pharmacy car park at the side, that is my health centre and its the closest I get to Hanley.

I have been researching my family tree recently and my mum has done a DNA test to try and find family. Results are back, 40 relatives in USA, 4 in Australia and 2 in New Zealand that are all using same site so that’s why we have been linked.

I woke up to an email from one of the second cousins in New Zealand this morning, now trying to establish how we are linked.

I am absolutely flabbergasted!!!

Michelle

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I have been researching my family tree recently and my mum has done a DNA test to try and find family. Results are back, 40 relatives in USA, 4 in Australia and 2 in New Zealand that are all using same site so that’s why we have been linked.

I woke up to an email from one of the second cousins in New Zealand this morning, now trying to establish how we are linked.

I am absolutely flabbergasted!!!

Michelle

Thats your holidays sorted for a few years. Interesting times ahead.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Thats your holidays sorted for a few years. Interesting times ahead.

Interesting times ahead indeed!! Strangely enough we were thinking of going to Australia for my 60th in a couple of years time!!! 
Michelle

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Not handling cash might be hygenic in the sense of reducing cross contamination with food items, but as an anti-covid measure it is just totally useless.   

Plus being plastic,she only had to dip it in a bucket of disinfectant.Or sheep dip.

• Haha 3

After a dull start we have had a nice day here, with a clear sky it was really noticeable how light it was early evening.

We use cash for small items, more habit than anything else, however since contactless the debit card does get used more. I could never imagine going out without a few quid in my wallet.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Stokie33 said:

Thanks Presto I really appreciate it, they have been self reliant until a few months ago so it’s come as quite a shock

Just seen the other posts should not have been posted so removed my answer🙂

Edited by Presto2

7 hours ago, davecttr said:

My solution to the milk problem was to buy UHT instead which has a use by date of several months and you don't have to refrigerate it before opening. I drink semi skimmed and to my taste it is creamier than the semi skimmed ordinary milk but has the same fat content.

Interesting cost issue. Own brand UHT per litre in my supermarket is about 80p+ but one shelf down and along a bit you can get the 'cheap' version for 55p. the difference? about a one month use by date and no screw top. No problem, just decant it into a clean screw top bottle when you open it.

UHT - Unbelievably Horrid Taste those little tubs you get in hotels, restaurants etc to put in your tea or coffee. 🤢

8 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

I don't think Cruise Critic is the right place to exchange cleaner details. I suggest you join https://nextdoor.co.uk/  which is like a neighbourhood facebook. 

Sorry - we've just sorted it by personal e-mail. Apologies if it is the wrong place but just wanted to help someone out. Don't use Facebook or anything like that, but will know in future. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We use filtered milk (Cravendale-style, but own label, which is much cheaper) - tastes exactly like ordinary milk but lasts a lot longer.

Ditto. It goes on forever - current one in fridge has been opened for ages, has a use by date of 7/1, and it's still fine. 

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Ditto. It goes on forever - current one in fridge has been opened for ages, has a use by date of 7/1, and it's still fine. 

It may be that I am becoming lactose intolerant so am now trialling the multitude of lactose free and non milk based products. So far Aldi lactose free semi skimmed is number one, I do like the oat milk on cereal but it tastes horrid in latte, but not as bad as Soya (yuk). Deep joy.

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

UHT - Unbelievably Horrid Taste those little tubs you get in hotels, restaurants etc to put in your tea or coffee. 🤢

I dont believe they are milk, they are extremely long lasting milk substitute, probably derived from crude oil, somehow.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

What are your thoughts on using cash for small purchases ?  We have been out to Bridgemere today and he who should be ignored decided that we should buy a pork pie costing £4.59 from one of the consessions to have with salad for lunch, I offered the lady behind the counter a £5 note and she said that she would take it this time but that in future would I please pay by card because I am endangering her by expecting her to handle cash, I  offered to pay by card but she said she would take a 10 minute break to cleanse her hands afterwards.  There is no notice anywhere saying that card payments are preferred.

Well for the first time ever I'm speechless!!!😲😂

Avril

• Like 4

21 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Andrew, stayed in the Grosvenor Hotel in Stockbridge many times, used to  fly fish a private beat on the test, good times

Ah, different Stockbridge though - I was referring to the one in Edinburgh...😀

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

The majority of UHT milk these days, especially skimmed, is indistinguishable from fresh, if used in tea or coffee. 

We have had visitors who have happily drunk tea and coffee made with UHT milk - they never realised until we told them.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The majority of UHT milk these days, especially skimmed, is indistinguishable from fresh, if used in tea or coffee. 

We have had visitors who have happily drunk tea and coffee made with UHT milk - they never realised until we told them.

It maybe, but the Tetra Pak cartons it comes in a not easily recyclable, 

Completed my tax return today, yet more changes to the self assessment process again this year, took me 90 mins to complete, got disturbed whilst doing by the doorbell ringing, was expecting Parcelforce, but instead a young lady who was very circumspect about what she was selling, kept saying we are doing some work in the area and wondered if you would be interested? Interested in what? No response, then saw leaflets in her hand, composite doors, you would  have thought she would have spotted that door she was standing in front of was new. Told her I wasn’t interested and shut the door, she went away muttering, unfortunately not picked up by doorbell camera mic. 

I did suspect a potential distraction attempt, but security camera around the side and back didn’t pick anything up. 

MARRYING A BARNSLEY GIRL
Three friends married women from different areas.
The first man married a Pontefract girl. He told her that she was to do the dishes and house cleaning. It took a couple of days, but on the third day he came home to see a clean house and dishes washed and put away.

The second man married a Featherstone girl. He gave his wife orders that she was to do all the cleaning, dishes and the cooking. The first day he didn't see any results but the next day he saw it was better. By the third day he saw his house was clean, the dishes were done, and there was a huge dinner on the table.

The third man married a girl from Barnsley. He ordered her to keep the house clean, dishes washed, lawn mowed, laundry washed, and hot meals on the table every day. The first day he didn't see anything, the second day he didn't see anything either, but by the third day, some of the swelling had gone down, he could see a little out of his left eye and his arm was healed enough that he could fix himself a sandwich and load the dishwasher. He still has some difficulty when he urinates. 😂😂
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

17 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

It maybe, but the Tetra Pak cartons it comes in a not easily recyclable, 

Didn't know that. The packaging on our containers clearly state they are recyclable,  so they go in the recycling bin along with everything else. 

• Like 1