P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Hello from a wet windy Norway. Have to say we've loved today. The Capt has taken us through lots of different fjords to avoid going out to sea yet as it is chopping. It has been wet but stunning and sooooooooo relaxing. Scenery stunning despite it all. PO done us proud today and not wanting to sound like a cheerleader ... it really has been an excellent day for us. Will just have to come back again to find the sunshine 🌞 20230529_114637.thumb.jpg.26196337eb39e2e2eb6ba86c74353ea7.jpg

20230529_131936.jpg

20230529_141232.jpg

All that and with a missed port insurance payout on top. Seems like a good result.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Brilliant sunshine here today. I am currently writing this cowering in the shade of a sun brolly out in the back garden patio with a glass of chilled Chablis to hand.

Need to take picture as this doesn’t happen too often up here. As a nod to reality there is still a vestige of snow on the top of the hills I can see from the upstairs windows of the house. Can’t see anything to spoil the illusion of sunshine from the gardens as we have bushes and trees right round.

Hope you are all enjoying the fine weather where you are.

Indeed and it looks as if we are definitely in the right place this week.   Forecast 25 for Wednesday!    Much gardening and plant buying being done at the moment after returning from an MSC cruise last Tuesday.  The Chablis sounds nice too.  I made myself a Pimms yesterday! 🍹

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

We are back at my sister in laws in lovely Gwynedd for a few days. The long drive has already been worth it with a day out at Black Rock Sands (near Porthmadog) today. 
Now enjoying the last of the sunshine with a local brew.0E23F49A-D08A-4F26-A5F1-BC90A36CB0BE.thumb.jpeg.5507af56a76f66b11227d84986e350ac.jpeg

IMG_2970.MOV 7.52 MB · 0 downloads  

I remember Black Rock Sands well and often used to go swimming there when I used to visit the area some weekends with my school.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone

Sorry for what I've missed since I last posted. To everyone who's currently on a cruise I hope you're having a great time. To those who aren't- I hope you're all well and enjoying some great weather.

My poor little Ted has been very unwell for the last 4-5 days. He must have eaten something foul on one of our walks and he's paying the price now. He's been expelling from both ends and is on antibiotics and probiotic paste to settle his tum. As you can imagine, he's also incredibly lethargic so no walks until he's better.  Poor little chap.

I've been speed reading some of the "live" reports/reviews on the other threads. Blimey! Apps, queues, pre-booking, more queues, lukewarm food, no toiletries in cabins. I got stressed out just thinking about how I'd cope and I realised I don't want to do this any more.  As a 20+ (I wish - that's trips taken) cruiser over a period of 40 years (my first cruise was on the old QE2), I loved the old ways and I don't want to sour my lovely  memories. I've cancelled my 2 cruises with P&O and may possibly think about Cunard but at the moment no cruising for me. I like to stay in good hotels and cottages, to have hot food, to not be pressured into speciality restaurants because the food I've already paid for is bland, repetitive - and cold!

So, I hope you don't mind having a non- cruiser on the cruise critic forum but I'm staying on here so that I can carry on chatting with all you lovely people. 

Best wishes. Jane xxx

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Beckett said:

So, I hope you don't mind having a non- cruiser on the cruise critic forum but I'm staying on here so that I can carry on chatting with all you lovely people. 

We don't mind at all, nowt in rules says you must have a cruise booked to post here.

Hope Ted gets better soon poor thing 🙂🥰

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kalos said:

We don't mind at all, nowt in rules says you must have a cruise booked to post here.

Hope Ted gets better soon poor thing 🙂🥰

Thanks Kalos. Ted says thanks too - from his sickbed. Jane xxx

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Hello Everyone

Sorry for what I've missed since I last posted. To everyone who's currently on a cruise I hope you're having a great time. To those who aren't- I hope you're all well and enjoying some great weather.

My poor little Ted has been very unwell for the last 4-5 days. He must have eaten something foul on one of our walks and he's paying the price now. He's been expelling from both ends and is on antibiotics and probiotic paste to settle his tum. As you can imagine, he's also incredibly lethargic so no walks until he's better.  Poor little chap.

I've been speed reading some of the "live" reports/reviews on the other threads. Blimey! Apps, queues, pre-booking, more queues, lukewarm food, no toiletries in cabins. I got stressed out just thinking about how I'd cope and I realised I don't want to do this any more.  As a 20+ (I wish - that's trips taken) cruiser over a period of 40 years (my first cruise was on the old QE2), I loved the old ways and I don't want to sour my lovely  memories. I've cancelled my 2 cruises with P&O and may possibly think about Cunard but at the moment no cruising for me. I like to stay in good hotels and cottages, to have hot food, to not be pressured into speciality restaurants because the food I've already paid for is bland, repetitive - and cold!

Best wishes. Jane xxx

I would like you to remain, as you have been a valuable, informative and supportive member of this community.

Hope Ted is better soon.

I have disembarked from Arvia yesterday and overall had a nice relaxing holiday. Yes, there were a few niggles, but nothing major. I didn't like having to use the app to book everything, but it is what it is. I concentrated more on taking things easy and forgetting about my upcoming treatment. I was also lucky enough to win a voucher for £100 spa voucher, which was nice especially as I never win

anything😲

Pam

Edited by purplesea
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Just now, purplesea said:

I would like you to remain, as you have been a valuable, informative and supportive member of this community.

I have disembarked from Arvia yesterday and overall had a nice relaxing holiday. Yes, there were a few niggles, but nothing major. I didn't like having to use the app to book everything, but it is what it is. I concentrated more on taking things easy and forgetting about my upcoming treatment. I was also lucky enough to win a voucher for £100 spa voucher, which was nice especially as I never win

anything😲

Pam

Thanks Pam. That's very kind of you. I'm glad you had a relaxing time - and how lovely to win the spa voucher. You have hopefully built up your reserves for what's to come treatment-wise. We're all with you. Jane xxx

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Hello Everyone

Best wishes. Jane xxx

I'm so sorry to hear Teddy has been so poorly Jane.

Speaking for myself and I'm sure from all your friends on here we missed you before and would love you to stay now even if you are not cruising.

Graham xx.

332159.gif

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I'm so sorry to hear Teddy has been so poorly Jane.

Speaking for myself and I'm sure from all your friends on here we missed you before and would love you to stay now even if you are not cruising.

Graham xx.

332159.gif

Thanks so much Graham. Yes I'm definitely staying. I'd miss you all too much to leave and although I've decided not to cruise for now, I can still cruise vicariously on here!  I love hearing about everyone else's experiences, good and bad, and am thrilled when you all have a great time. I think maybe I'm not as confident to travel alone now I'm getting older whereas it never bothered me before. Thanks for the lovely doggy pic. Ted is sleeping at the moment but if he was awake he'd thank you too. Best wishes. Jane xxx

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Hello Everyone

Best wishes. Jane xxx

Jane, I do hope Ted makes a speedy recovery.  Thank you for all your moral support during my very testing time on Arvia.  I do hope it wasn't my problems that caused you to make your decision, in the end it was most likely a bad choice on my part to travel on a ship I wasn't sure I'd like.  Ironically it was number 57 so a bit of a Heinz variety so to speak.  I see you mention Cunard and after my lovely Coronation cruise with them I'm confident if you did feel like dipping your toe back in again you'd find it not too dissimilar to the old days.  

Meantime enjoy all those lovely hotels and cottages with Ted once he's back to full fitness.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Rather than Knaresborough we ended up in Pately Bridge today in Nidderdale in the Yorkshire Dales

Couldn't believe how great the  High Street was!

Including the oldest sweet shop in the world!!

I used to call on that sweet shop 27 years ago.

• Like 3

Well been a different day here, a bit cloudier than the last 3 days, at 5am this morning I half fell out of bed, first time ai have done that for years, seems your body knows even when asleep where the edge of the bed is, that is until today! Couldn’t get back to sleep so got up, wrote a few emails, at 7:15 got a text from servicing department at dealership to my car in for its first annual service before 21 June, only problem is that the car is only 5 months old, I suspect it been set up on systems with date of order which was 20 June 2022, and not the January date I finally got it. All will become clear tomorrow when I call them.

Then it was on to Premier In who seemed to have booked me 2 rooms when I only ordered one, seems like the failed transaction on the first attempt at booking actually went through, quickly sorted by Adam on the other end of phone, refund is on its way and we now have only 1 room for the night after the Charlotte Edwards Trophy and T20 Cricket Matches on Saturday. Booked hotel as it was very tight to get back for the last train if the end of the match was delayed by weather, which has happened to us previously. 

Also today a trip to Urgent Treatment Centre as my wife’s foot was still painful after something dropped on it at week end, glad to say no fracture only bruising, we were in an out of Centre on just under an hour, A&E next door had a queue of 10 ambulances outside, so a busy Bank Holiday fir the staff.

Nipped into Tesco to get some more paracetamol and cold compress from pharmacy, Tesco was quite quiet, as was Homebase which I visited afterwards, seems shoppers we very thin in the ground. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Jane, I do hope Ted makes a speedy recovery.  Thank you for all your moral support during my very testing time on Arvia.  I do hope it wasn't my problems that caused you to make your decision, in the end it was most likely a bad choice on my part to travel on a ship I wasn't sure I'd like.  Ironically it was number 57 so a bit of a Heinz variety so to speak.  I see you mention Cunard and after my lovely Coronation cruise with them I'm confident if you did feel like dipping your toe back in again you'd find it not too dissimilar to the old days.  

Meantime enjoy all those lovely hotels and cottages with Ted once he's back to full fitness.

Thanks very much Megabear2. No, it wasn't your bad experience that prompted my final decision. I really felt for you while you were going through those first few horrendous days and I must confess to thinking how would I cope alone in such a situation and the conclusion was not very well! It's a combination of things that have brought me to this point - the main one was when I realised I was dreading going! I no longer do anything that upsets or stresses me so decision made. 

It was you however who made me think about Cunard again as your Coronation Cruise sounded perfect and I would have loved to have gone on that one. I'm happy to read you think a Cunard cruise may not be too dissimilar to the old days so thanks for that too.

Ted will be very happy I'm not abandoning him any time soon as well! Thanks again MB and best wishes. Jane xxx

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

@Beckett very sorry to hear Ted is poorly. They do like to eat inappropriate things don’t they! Anyway, Freddie sends woofs to Ted and hopes that both ends recover soon. 🐶

And yes, please stay on here…..

Gill x

Oh Gill why do they do it? I mean how could fox poo be so appealing to our pets!!!!! Ted will send a woof back to Freddie when he's feeling better (he's taken himself off to bed now) and thanks to you and Freddie for your good wishes. Jane xx

• Like 5

It was quite a bit cooler here this morning when I went to put the washing out on the line, our heating has just switched on but hopefully it will warm up later.  We are going shopping today because I need to find something to wear to a wedding that we are going to and hopefully I can get some new holiday clothes at the same time.

Take care everyone and don't go cheese rolling, it looks fairly dangerous and cheese is available in shops where you don't need to break you legs to get it.

• Like 8

Morning everyone,

Another bright and sunny day down here again😀

An early start again for me today. I have my hospital appointment in Plymouth and am going up with two of my daughters and granddaughter early this morning and making a day out. Firstly were going shopping and having lunch before heading up to the hospital for my appointment. Wish me luck for our return as I expect we'll hit the rush hour traffic trying to get across the Tamar Bridge, and it can be bad at the best of times.

Hope you enjoy your day, whatever you may have planned,

Pam

• Like 11

Morning All

Good luck today Pam - with the appointment and the traffic. It's good to hear there's a little gang of you you going up to Plymouth. Have a really nice lunch together.

Well His Lordship seems a bit more lively this morning and I've attempted to attach a photo of him on his settee. I know it's hard to tell which end is which but this is his favourite sleeping position and he hasn't been able to do that for a few days as his tummy's been too sore.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Best wishes. Jane xxxx

20230530_072749.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1