P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

40 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

When we went to Devon last year the couple of places we went in we had to write down our details. Got a takeaway Costa recently and had to shout across the counter while my friend just zapped the code! That’s why I got it but I don’t like Bluetooth on so I only put it on when I know I’m going somewhere!

I have to say that I use the app. So much easier than giving out or writing down my contact details but that is also providing I’m organised enough to have my glasses on in order to see to open the correct app!

I’m also not overly keen on Bluetooth but do find it less hassle to leave it on as the one time I forget is the one time my phone rings when driving!

Have a good Sunday everyone. Summer is arriving by midweek I believe!

Gill x

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Angel57 said:

I have to say that I use the app. So much easier than giving out or writing down my contact details but that is also providing I’m organised enough to have my glasses on in order to see to open the correct app!

I’m also not overly keen on Bluetooth but do find it less hassle to leave it on as the one time I forget is the one time my phone rings when driving!

Have a good Sunday everyone. Summer is arriving by midweek I believe!

Gill x

I really hope so re the summer! John is off this coming weekend and we really need to get the garden sorted as it’s my mum’s birthday the next week and we’re hosting!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning All.

Another cloudy day so far. Another tv day by the looks of outside. It is the last day of the Premier League though so lots of sport to watch.

Yesterday, my daughter and I went to our nearest large-ish shopping centre and had breakfast together in the M&S Cafe. New item on the menu was a Bacon and Ciabatta roll. Lovely we thought. After quite a long queue we got to the counter to order and we're told "we've run out of bacon" (at 9am????). Now I don't understand how this works because at the back of the store is the Food Hall which had more than enough bacon to fill a suitcase but "we're not allowed to use that". Oh well, herb sausages in ciabatta was a very nice alternative. We sat there for ages over 3 coffees each and just enjoyed the fact that we could once more take pleasure in doing something we once took for granted.

Have a good Sunday everyone and I hope you are all well and safe. 76 sleeps before we go away. Best wishes all. Jane.x

I’m keeping everything crossed for Liverpool, could be nervy!!

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We want a couple who can score 20-30 goals a season up here at Sunderland.

I am in mourning with thousands of our supporters after losing out in the League 1 playoff semi final yesterday.😓😟☹️😢😥

Never mind Graham you will have two of South Yorkshires teams to keep you company next season :classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning All.

Another cloudy day so far. Another tv day by the looks of outside. It is the last day of the Premier League though so lots of sport to watch.

Yesterday, my daughter and I went to our nearest large-ish shopping centre and had breakfast together in the M&S Cafe. New item on the menu was a Bacon and Ciabatta roll. Lovely we thought. After quite a long queue we got to the counter to order and we're told "we've run out of bacon" (at 9am????). Now I don't understand how this works because at the back of the store is the Food Hall which had more than enough bacon to fill a suitcase but "we're not allowed to use that". Oh well, herb sausages in ciabatta was a very nice alternative. We sat there for ages over 3 coffees each and just enjoyed the fact that we could once more take pleasure in doing something we once took for granted.

Have a good Sunday everyone and I hope you are all well and safe. 76 sleeps before we go away. Best wishes all. Jane.x

We once asked for cream to go in our coffee in Marks, told sorry we have run out, when I said you must be able to get some from the food hall they said we can't do that.

On another occasion in a Waitrose  cafe we asked for lemon in or tea, they had none but went straight off to get some from the adjacent shop.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

That’s awful!
Poor lady, it’s a bewildering time and a little kindness goes a long way. I’m glad you made your feelings known.

We are in Looe. Lots of folk, mainly young working and seem pleased to be doing so. Hello guys, I need to take your details for track and trace. We have scanned the QR code, oh,!! ,Sorry I didn't think one of you would have the app. We both have the app....you both have smart phones?. She meant well and it would be impolite to say...we ain't dead yet.!!. Typical Cornish holiday. Sitting in the caravan watching telly with the wind howling and the rain lashing down. Nice to have things getting back to semi-normal. At least one of the wrinklies figured out how the central heating worked,🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

I went to Hempstead Valley this morning and sat in Costa for a coffee. I was concerned to see very few scanning the QR code and using the hand sanitiser. Then there was the man with a persistent cough which did not help. Hardly anyone used the sanitation stations in Sainsbury's either.

Then to cap it all I read this morning that against symptomatic COVID after two doses of vaccine:

Pfizer is 88% effective against Indian variant and 93% against Kent variant. The figures for AstraZeneca are 60% and 66%.

Very depressing 😟

Bad weather too.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

We once asked for cream to go in our coffee in Marks, told sorry we have run out, when I said you must be able to get some from the food hall they said we can't do that.

On another occasion in a Waitrose  cafe we asked for lemon in or tea, they had none but went straight off to get some from the adjacent shop.

We were once catching a cruise up at North Shields so stayed overnight up there .

The next morning walking around their shopping centre we decided on a snack from the 

Subway shop . On entering the shop the bored looking server asked " What can I get you ?"

After a minute of looking at the menu board Mrs Kalos and I placed our order.

The lad looked at us and said " Sorry I can't do that ... anything else ?"  So a quick look

at the menu board and we asked for our alternative choice and yet again  the lad said

" Sorry I can't do that, either "  So we asked well what can you do ?

He said anything that did not contain bread as his bakery van had not delivered yet !

A sandwich shop that couldn't make sandwiches :classic_wacko: but at least he knew what we would

have bought had he had any bread in his shop :classic_unsure:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I went to Hempstead Valley this morning and sat in Costa for a coffee. I was concerned to see very few scanning the QR code and using the hand sanitiser. Then there was the man with a persistent cough which did not help. Hardly anyone used the sanitation stations in Sainsbury's either.

Then to cap it all I read this morning that against symptomatic COVID after two doses of vaccine:

Pfizer is 88% effective against Indian variant and 93% against Kent variant. The figures for AstraZeneca are 60% and 66%.

Very depressing 😟

Bad weather too.

I think the cafes are assuming that everyone knows to scan the QR code, whereas in reality people need to be constantly prompted.

The PHE report was released late last night while everyone was watching Eurovision, too late for the Sunday papers and three days late.

The data is not cheering, and will no doubt be regarded in some quarters as ‘scare mongering’ as it’s not what people want to read.

But it is the  data, and I hope the decision makers take heed 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, kalos said:

We were once catching a cruise up at North Shields so stayed overnight up there .

The next morning walking around their shopping centre we decided on a snack from the 

Subway shop . On entering the shop the bored looking server asked " What can I get you ?"

After a minute of looking at the menu board Mrs Kalos and I placed our order.

The lad looked at us and said " Sorry I can't do that ... anything else ?"  So a quick look

at the menu board and we asked for our alternative choice and yet again  the lad said

" Sorry I can't do that, either "  So we asked well what can you do ?

He said anything that did not contain bread as his bakery van had not delivered yet !

A sandwich shop that couldn't make sandwiches :classic_wacko: but at least he knew what we would

have bought had he had any bread in his shop :classic_unsure:

A sandwich shop with no bread, about as much use as a soluble life raft or an inflatable dartboard. Why did he just tell you he had no bread. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Very depressing 😟

Bad weather too.

“Other people” is one of the main reasons I don’t want to cruise again just yet (or eat at a restaurant inside, or visit the theatre/cinema).  There have always been people with unattractive habits on cruises - whether you notice them more because of the restricted space onboard, or whether cruising attracts unthinking people I don’t know.  (Shall I tell you about the American guy who sat, whilst his wife went back to the servery for a fourth helping of prawns, and picked his teeth, first with his fingers, then his fork and finally he found the perfect implement - his cruise card! 🤢)

Anyway, I don’t want to be in a restricted space with loads of other people just now.

The latest government paper is not good reading either.  50% of the (currently small number of) cases are of the Indian variant.  Young people are affected.  Hospitals admissions are rising, particularly in the north west

What on earth is happening?  Why isn’t this under control?  
Please don’t let there be another winter lockdown as a result of a few weeks of summer freedom 

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Me too Sue. A smile from Jurgen Klopp trumps all! Jane.x

Indeed, I just love him 🥰 I’m so pleased I persuaded John to go and see them at Anfield in October 2019 and not wait to Spring 2020 like he wanted to! (Milner scored a last minute pen to beat Leicester 😊)

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Very depressing 😟

Bad weather too.

But the experts also said that the difference was due to the later roll out of the second vaccination of the AZ vaccine, with consequently a delay to greater protection. 

Not therefore that depressing at all.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Young people are affected.  Hospitals admissions are rising, particularly in the north west

What on earth is happening?  Why isn’t this under control?  
Please don’t let there be another winter lockdown as a result of a few weeks of summer freedom 

Hospital admissions down 7.1% in the past 7 days, numbering 122.

Deaths down 43.1% in the past 7 days

Good news surely?

• Like 5

Very depressing 😟

Bad weather too.

That’s not good Dave, we had a coffee and cake in M&S yesterday, we scanned the QR code but I didn’t notice many others doing it.

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Hospital admissions down 7.1% in the past 7 days, numbering 122.

Deaths down 43.1% in the past 7 days

Good news surely?

I think the fact that admissions and deaths going down while infections are on an upward trend speaks volumes for the effectiveness of the vaccine. It is several weeks since the kids went back to school then non essential shops opened which were sure to create a spike to some degree, I would expect the infection rate to go up as the effects of hugging and pubs and cafes opening take effect. Great news, as long as people use some common sense and keep taking precautions, and of course get vaccinated wherever possible there is no reason why we shouldn't get through this and avoid another massive spike come autumn.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But the experts also said that the difference was due to the later roll out of the second vaccination of the AZ vaccine, with consequently a delay to greater protection. 

Not therefore that depressing at all.

And not the very delayed and late (yet again) addition of India to the Red list? That seems much more likely, but of course it would be inconvenient to admit it.

• Like 3

I sincerely hope confidence in the govt will prove to be well founded.  I don’t want this thing to last any longer than it absolutely has to.

However, I remember very low figures from last summer and the start of the uptick then,  when cases rose and ultimately deaths exceeded the first wave.

I know we have vaccines now (thank goodness, where would we be without them?) but I am scared that the political objective of opening according to the roadmap and declaring the thing done could leave us vulnerable to the new variant ripping through the population, particularly the younger people who are not yet fully vaccinated

Too much politics; not enough Public Health

🤞for us all.  
If I was a person of faith I would be on my knees just now

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/22/no-10-tried-to-block-data-on-spread-of-new-covid-variant-in-english-schools

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 4

Very depressing 😟

Bad weather too.

I must admit I don't always scan QR codes for shops but would for a cafe or restaurant. We hand santise before going into every shop. The Sainsburys hand santiser smells really bad sometimes so I use my own at times. A few people still don't seem to manage walking the right way round the one way system at Hempstead Valley 🙄

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

am scared that the political objective of opening according to the roadmap and declaring the thing done could leave us vulnerable to the new variant ripping through the population, particularly the younger people who are not yet fully vaccinated

You can't carry on destroying the economy just in case a new variant comes along. 

The government,  if anything,  is being overly cautious as it is. 

• Like 1

Time to “Let it rip” and “Take it on the chin” then?  “Let the ******* bodies pile in the streets”?

I had been relaxed about cases increasing following the April and May changes.  I anticipated that would happen but hoped that any uptick in hospitalisations and/or deaths would be slight and temporary 

Is that what’s happening? 😬

2 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Time to “Let it rip” and “Take it on the chin” then?  “Let the ******* bodies pile in the streets”?

I had been relaxed about cases increasing following the April and May changes.  I anticipated that would happen but hoped that any uptick in hospitalisations and/or deaths would be slight and temporary 

Is that what’s happening? 😬

What "uptick" ? Both deaths and hospitalisations are down over the last 7 days.