P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Well we do like to be different;

New 'triple mutant' Covid with 'strange combination' of genes is probed by virologists in Yorkshire

Triple Mutant ??:classic_unsure: That could be related to the three course special old Elsie used 

to dish out posing as a nutritious meal in our local market cafe :classic_mellow:

I know you will find it hard to swallow but with a mug of tea it's not that bad really :classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We managed to see both sets of parents this afternoon, hugs all round 😊

Does anyone local to me, maybe P&O Sue or Dermotsgirl, know the procedure at the Gillingham Dobbies Cafe at the moment? My parents said they went this morning, didn't have the test and trace app on their phones and the staff member wasn't going to let them in, eventually she just took their name contact details but wasn't very happy about it. I didn't think the test and trace app check in was compulsory. Seems a bit odd to me.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Does anyone local to me, maybe P&O Sue or Dermotsgirl, know the procedure at the Gillingham Dobbies Cafe at the moment? My parents said they went this morning, didn't have the test and trace app on their phones and the staff member wasn't going to let them in, eventually she just took their name contact details but wasn't very happy about it. I didn't think the test and trace app check in was compulsory. Seems a bit odd to me.

Hi.

We have the NHS app, but when we’ve been in, we’ve seen the staff take the names and addresses of customers without the app and there’s been no  quibble about it. 

The staff are normally nice and friendly, so I think your parents were unlucky and caught somebody on a bad day. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

That’s really not on. I have the app but last week made a point of not using it in a Costa and just giving them my details verbally. I just think of my parents and other elderly folks I know who don’t have a smartphone. We mustn’t make people feel in any way inadequate just because they don’t have smart technology. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We have never had the app and have never had any issues in any cafe and we use plenty of them. I know what I would have told them at Dobbies cafe in Gillingham or anywhere else, you would expect them to be glad people were patronising their cafe. You can't get the staff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Hi.

We have the NHS app, but when we’ve been in, we’ve seen the staff take the names and addresses of customers without the app and there’s been no  quibble about it. 

The staff are normally nice and friendly, so I think your parents were unlucky and caught somebody on a bad day. 

57 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have never had the app and have never had any issues in any cafe and we use plenty of them. I know what I would have told them at Dobbies cafe in Gillingham or anywhere else, you would expect them to be glad people were patronising their cafe. You can't get the staff.

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

That’s really not on. I have the app but last week made a point of not using it in a Costa and just giving them my details verbally. I just think of my parents and other elderly folks I know who don’t have a smartphone. We mustn’t make people feel in any way inadequate just because they don’t have smart technology. 

Thank you for your replies.

Dermotsgirl - I've only been once in the last 14 months and left my name but that was before the test and trace app was being used.

As you say I think they may have had an overly officious staff member and possibly my parents didn't understand what they were being asked to do. I think they may have been a bit confused between the two NHS apps, test and trace vs the personal health record app.

It is very difficult for those who aren't used to using apps, both my parents have smartphones and dad is pretty good with his, but mum only uses hers for calls and texts. I've now installed the test and trace app for her and showed her how to use it, whether she remembers next time she needs it is another matter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Ooh that’s very odd! The one time I tried this year there was a queue so we didn’t bother.

I’m going there in a couple of weeks to meet two friends . I have the app,  I’ll have to check my friends have! Last summer they were quite happy to just take a name and address.

EDIT- seeing other replies I completely agree with Phil, you’d think they’d be glad their cafe was getting custom. Lots of elderly people go there, it’s really not on. My parents have phones but they don’t have smart phones. I got the app as I didn’t like shouting out my personal details in front of others 😆

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 3

On the point of older people not using new technology my Dad is always putting off things because of having to book. He mentioned the other day he had stuff to take to the local tip, it was obvious he wasn’t keen to book so I showed him on my iPad how to do it. (He has a tablet he uses a lot but mostly reads news and watches you tube!) 

He made some excuse they had a few appointments coming up so I left it. When I phoned my mum this morning and she casually mentioned Dad was going to the tip this afternoon, my ‘bullying’ worked 😆 Bless him, he just needs the confidence to try it. I look forward tomorrow to finding out how it went .

• Like 4

I'm probably going to Dobbies tomorrow.   My App doesn't always seem to work so hopefully they will take our names etc.  

Unfortunately I have seen  staff rudeness at Dobbies before.  They don't seem to have the happiest of staff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I'm probably going to Dobbies tomorrow.   My App doesn't always seem to work so hopefully they will take our names etc.  

Unfortunately I have seen  staff rudeness at Dobbies before.  They don't seem to have the happiest of staff.

I’d be grateful to hear how you get on and what the process is there. I do think mum & dad were confused about what the staff member wanted them to do but staff should be helping people use the system not adding to the confusion.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Ooh that’s very odd! The one time I tried this year there was a queue so we didn’t bother.

I’m going there in a couple of weeks to meet two friends . I have the app,  I’ll have to check my friends have! Last summer they were quite happy to just take a name and address.

EDIT- seeing other replies I completely agree with Phil, you’d think they’d be glad their cafe was getting custom. Lots of elderly people go there, it’s really not on. My parents have phones but they don’t have smart phones. I got the app as I didn’t like shouting out my personal details in front of others 😆

Yes I agree I don’t like giving out contact details out loud either.
I downloaded the app before going to Devon last October but have rarely used it lately. My husband refuses to download it because he says it’s unreliable and full of bugs, and my youngest daughter says the test and trace app is ‘so 2020’ 😊 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I’d be grateful to hear how you get on and what the process is there. I do think mum & dad were confused about what the staff member wanted them to do but staff should be helping people use the system not adding to the confusion.

I have seen an increasing number of impatient or downright rude staff in various places using these policies to belittle customers, usually elderly... 

I walked into a bakers that must have had a policy of only 2 customers at a time, but I didn't see the sign. I was the second person in and an elderly lady followed me. 

One of the staff members, without turning round, shouted 'only 2 at a time'... I don't think the lady behind me heard or understood and didn't move, she was not being belligerent, she looked confused. 

The staff member stormed towards her and shouted 'GET OUT'... 

The poor lady sheepishly walked away, as did I...Obviously after telling her what I thought of her attitude... 

This is one of a few instances I have seen, and I don't go in many shops... 

I understand they have a job to do and are probably under pressure themselves, but no excuses, it shouldn't happen. 

Andy 

• Like 15

10 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you for your replies.

Dermotsgirl - I've only been once in the last 14 months and left my name but that was before the test and trace app was being used.

As you say I think they may have had an overly officious staff member and possibly my parents didn't understand what they were being asked to do. I think they may have been a bit confused between the two NHS apps, test and trace vs the personal health record app.

It is very difficult for those who aren't used to using apps, both my parents have smartphones and dad is pretty good with his, but mum only uses hers for calls and texts. I've now installed the test and trace app for her and showed her how to use it, whether she remembers next time she needs it is another matter.

If I have been asked to write my name and telephone number down in a cafe I have but TBH I could have written any name or telephone number down because they never checked.

• Like 4

Good Morning All.

Another cloudy day so far. Another tv day by the looks of outside. It is the last day of the Premier League though so lots of sport to watch.

Yesterday, my daughter and I went to our nearest large-ish shopping centre and had breakfast together in the M&S Cafe. New item on the menu was a Bacon and Ciabatta roll. Lovely we thought. After quite a long queue we got to the counter to order and we're told "we've run out of bacon" (at 9am????). Now I don't understand how this works because at the back of the store is the Food Hall which had more than enough bacon to fill a suitcase but "we're not allowed to use that". Oh well, herb sausages in ciabatta was a very nice alternative. We sat there for ages over 3 coffees each and just enjoyed the fact that we could once more take pleasure in doing something we once took for granted.

Have a good Sunday everyone and I hope you are all well and safe. 76 sleeps before we go away. Best wishes all. Jane.x

• Like 8

12 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Can it play centre forward and score 30 goals a season?

We want a couple who can score 20-30 goals a season up here at Sunderland.

I am in mourning with thousands of our supporters after losing out in the League 1 playoff semi final yesterday.😓😟☹️😢😥

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I have seen an increasing number of impatient or downright rude staff in various places using these policies to belittle customers, usually elderly... 

I walked into a bakers that must have had a policy of only 2 customers at a time, but I didn't see the sign. I was the second person in and an elderly lady followed me. 

One of the staff members, without turning round, shouted 'only 2 at a time'... I don't think the lady behind me heard or understood and didn't move, she was not being belligerent, she looked confused. 

The staff member stormed towards her and shouted 'GET OUT'... 

The poor lady sheepishly walked away, as did I...Obviously after telling her what I thought of her attitude... 

This is one of a few instances I have seen, and I don't go in many shops... 

I understand they have a job to do and are probably under pressure themselves, but no excuses, it shouldn't happen. 

Andy 

That’s awful!
Poor lady, it’s a bewildering time and a little kindness goes a long way. I’m glad you made your feelings known.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Yes I agree I don’t like giving out contact details out loud either.
I downloaded the app before going to Devon last October but have rarely used it lately. My husband refuses to download it because he says it’s unreliable and full of bugs, and my youngest daughter says the test and trace app is ‘so 2020’ 😊 

When we went to Devon last year the couple of places we went in we had to write down our details. Got a takeaway Costa recently and had to shout across the counter while my friend just zapped the code! That’s why I got it but I don’t like Bluetooth on so I only put it on when I know I’m going somewhere!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

When we went to Devon last year the couple of places we went in we had to write down our details. Got a takeaway Costa recently and had to shout across the counter while my friend just zapped the code! That’s why I got it but I don’t like Bluetooth on so I only put it on when I know I’m going somewhere!

We have a piece of paper tucked in the phone with our names and telephone number on which we hold up to the staff member. Quite a few have said how helpful that is so people don't have to shout through the masks. We will download the app now we are getting out more, but have not had any problems from any staff with our method. There is no excuse for staff being rude to customers just because they are elderly or don't use all the gadgets, surely they have elderly family members.

• Like 6