P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Whatever happened to Camay, and Gibbs SR  toothpaste, and Tide detergent. Clearly huge advertising budgets don't guarantee longevity.

Some companies simply bought them out and put the name into storage .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I’ve been watching the Cruise too. I watched it at the time but it was long before I started cruising. Loving it 😊

We watched it first time around and are watching it again now too. I'd forgotten about that awful woman who wanted "com-pen-say-shun" of a full refund or replacement cruise for the change of itinerary (even though she seemed to be thoroughly enjoying herself on the cruise she was disputing).

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DamianG said:

We watched it first time around and are watching it again now too. I'd forgotten about that awful woman who wanted "com-pen-say-shun" of a full refund or replacement cruise for the change of itinerary (even though she seemed to be thoroughly enjoying herself on the cruise she was disputing).

I remember the lady in question with her teddy bears at the dining table and I also remember Terry Wogan making fun of it on his morning radio show.  She got in touch with him later to say she used to be a fan of his!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Whatever happened to Camay, and Gibbs SR  toothpaste, and Tide detergent. Clearly huge advertising budgets don't guarantee longevity.

I seem to remember Camay falling foul of the then newly-introduced Trades Description act with their ad, altogether now fellow oldies ….. ‘you’ll be a little lovelier each day, with fabulous pink Camay’.  😄

• Like 1

How about this for superb service from the NHS, despite all the obvious present difficulties?

Went to Specsavers recently for a routine NHS eye test. Cataracts diagnosed, which came as no surprise.

Cataract surgery on one eye this morning, just 5 weeks later. Left home at 8.30, hour’s drive to the private clinic contracted to the NHS, home by 12.

Thanks, NHS. I expected a two year wait and it was just five weeks!  😎

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

How about this for superb service from the NHS, despite all the obvious present difficulties?

Went to Specsavers recently for a routine NHS eye test. Cataracts diagnosed, which came as no surprise.

Cataract surgery on one eye this morning, just 5 weeks later. Left home at 8.30, hour’s drive to the private clinic contracted to the NHS, home by 12.

Brilliant service.  I  hope everything continues to go well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Happy that you got such speedy service Harry, but rather surprised you agreed to have it done in a private clinic. 😇😉

All under the NHS John. NHS surgeon operating in a private facility because the hospital theatres are better utilised on less routine stuff. Makes sense to me, much like other routine surgery such as hip replacement.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Omo detergent is another, and Ajax cleaner. I can remember using Gibbs tooth powder in a tin when I was  little. The green tin was my favourite, spearmint.

Avril

• Like 2

Good stuff Harry

My optician told me I have cataracts developing in both eyes at my recent routine appointment but she said they weren’t a problem yet, so we’re just on wait & watch.

When the time comes and surgery is appropriate I hope it will be as swift and efficient as you experienced 

Still health related, the vaccination hub at our GP centre has started up again, after about a 10 day break.  I guess they were awaiting stock of Pfizer or Moderna because the people in the queue were So Young! 👀 

Very heartening.  I note some areas are inviting 18+ to no-booking Jab & Go clinics.  Let’s hope the vaccination programme can outrun the variant spread

(having laboriously tapped that out, I wonder if I have fallen foul of the new guidelines … hope not.  If I have - sorry Mods 😕)

• Like 3

We’re home from a lovely holiday on the Isle of Wight. There were big delays on the Red Funnel ferries yesterday so we had an extra couple of hours to spare, we ended up going back to Osborne House for a late lunch and a stroll down to the beach 😊

We joined English Heritage last summer, around £90 for 15 months for 2 of us, and we well and truely got our money’s worth this week. 

• Like 13

25 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Omo detergent is another, and Ajax cleaner. I can remember using Gibbs tooth powder in a tin when I was  little. The green tin was my favourite, spearmint.

Avril

So many things that are no more ,I used to like beech nut gum which you could get

out of the machines outside the shop as well. The best thing though were the empty pop 

bottles .Take them back to the shop for deposit and get a couple of penny chews for yourself.:classic_smile:

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, kalos said:

So many things that are no more ,I used to like beech nut gum which you could get

out of the machines outside the shop as well. The best thing though were the empty pop 

bottles .Take them back to the shop for deposit and get a couple of penny chews for yourself.:classic_smile:

When I was a lad, the Corona lorry came round touting for customers, now the same virus delivers itself. How times change.🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I am led to believe that in days gone by OMO did its own advertising very well!!  😲😂🤣

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

At the start of the lock-down, I began adding my elderly neighbour's shopping onto my Tesco order. I was taken aback when she asked me if I could get her some Ajax or Vim!  I researched it and found it is available on ebay at quite a price, since it is still made in other parts of the world.  Who knew? 😁

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

That's great Harry and so impressive time-wise. I hope you feel ok tonight and have a good night's sleep. Best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 2

5 hours ago, alpha whiskey said:

I am led to believe that in days gone by OMO did its own advertising very well!!  😲😂🤣

Yes, leaving a packet in the kitchen window was a dead give away !

Younger readers can guess what OMO stands for! 

• Haha 1

Good morning hope you're all well this Sunday morning :classic_smile:

I think Sunday's are brill ,wandering around with hardly a stich on ,reading the papers .

The newsagents I use don't seem too amused about it though . I like to do a bit of 

light reading but it can make your eyes a bit sore ,the last one I read I could just make

out 200W made in China :classic_wacko: Sunday dinner later today ! Best meal of the week! That's

when I pop next doors to borrow their Sunday roast to dip in our gravy . Our town centres

never busy on a Sunday either should I fancy a walk around , not like a Saturday which 

has markets and allsorts of things going off. I watched a street entertainer contort his

whole body into a small suitcase and asked him if he could teach me how to do it.
He's going to try and squeeze me in on Monday. :classic_unsure: Have a nice day guys and be safe :classic_love:

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

You’re in good form for this early on a Sunday kalos! 🙂

Yes, Sunday roast will be the most exciting thing to happen in this house today.  It’s going to be a wet day, there’s even a warning for heavy rain 🌧 Ho hum

Enjoy your day everyone, whatever you’re doing.  Is it the first Staycation today?  Exciting for them.  Let’s hope it all goes smoothly

• Like 4

Good morning everyone.

There's been a distinct autumnal feel to the weather these past few days in my small part of Yorkshire. Where did our summer go??🍂🌦️

Our youngest grandson had his first jab on Thursday, now both him and his older brother are on a mission to encourage any of their friends and work colleagues who are hesitant, to step up and have it done. It seems as though the majority our the youngsters are now begining to realise the importance of being vaccinated thank goodness.

I don't have much planned for today, an Asda delivery and planting out some Lupins, if the rain holds off😏 I just don't know how I'm coping with all this excitment😉

I hope you all have better weather where you are and a more interesting day planned. Enjoy your day, stay safe and take care. Were not quite out of the woods just yet.

Avril

• Like 11