Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 hours ago, mo&fran said:

Our fist cruise as Pinn is over. 2 weeks on Harmony. Some nice surprises, but at the end, not so nice.  Could not find my suitcase when we got off. Searched all over the luggage hall, with the help of numerous porters, no luck.  I could wait awhile to see if it shows up, but we have a B3B coming up next Sunday, so I need to get a new suitcase, and a lot of clothes. Then , when we got home, my laptop refused to boot up. It is dead.  I need it to print luggage tags for our next cruise. So, off to Best Buy for a new computer. At least these days every thing from the old computer is stored on the cloud, so really didn't lose much there.

DW has been having some difficulty walking recently, so we have been requesting wheelchair assistance for boarding. Earlier cruises, they would have us go inside, where the have a group of chairs where she could sit , and wheelchairs would be delivered and someone would wheel her on board. This time, I went to the Pinn checkin, showed my boarding pass  as a Pinn, someone went to get the wheelchair, we were checked in right there, went through security, and onto the ship.  

I buy a freestyle soda cup since the chip does not have my drink mixer, caffeine free diet   Coke, and when I went to get the cup, the guy saw my gold seapass card, and got on his phone, and found out that I now get a 40% credit for the cup, which is actually good for 2 weeks, even though you only pay for the one voyage.

WE always us MTD, but as a Pinn, there is a separate checkin desk, no waiting in a huge line.

For the time being, the new menu is a bit of a disappointment, with the reduced choices. We have been looking at the CK menu, we'll have to give it a try soon. I did try the Pinn option of breakfast at Chops one morning,  But I just prefer JR, it is just a more comfortable atmosphere for breakfast for me. 

Then we get the 6 free drinks now, but we never used them all. Guess I just cannot drink that much anymore. 

Sorry about your laptop and the missing luggage. Glad you enjoyed your first Pinnacle cruise and it’s benefits. Hope your wife is doing better. I remember her name, but didn’t want to post it since some people keep things close to the chest. Hope to see you both again soon.

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

This is why I do self assist. 

We started doing that the last 2 cruises. The times before we would always get caught up in the crowd of people waiting for Uber or whatever ride they were taking. I hate having to wake up earlier, but I have come to hate the crowds even more.

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

@ReneeFLLCan you ask Mike what minimums FLL needs before they shut down landings? This weather is crappy and if this flight gets canceled like last January I will need some drink vouchers. 

This is probably more than you wanted, but this is what Mike said. Every airport in the US starts with a K, but it’s shortened to FLL. Below is an approach chart.

”Fort Lauderdale - Hollywood International (KFLL) has approaches to 4 runways (10 L/R, 28 L/R).  Their lowest minimum approach is the Instrument Landing System (ILS) Runway 10L Approach.  The minimums allowable are 207' and 1/2 mile visibility (or 2400 RVR).

What this means is that an aircraft is not allowed to start an approach if the visibility is less than 1/2 mi (or 2400 RVR) or, if they have the visibility to start the approach, they must be able to see the runway by 207' altitude or they must discontinue the approach.

There are other factors that can affect the airport (winds greater than 50 knots, high crosswinds, power outages, etc).”

911502A5-910D-43E8-9F83-A38C784192C1.jpeg

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

He is in the air now.  It is going to be a tough connection to make.  He is coming into gate B13 and leaving from A7.  Fingers crossed.

Carnival cruise is looking better and better. 😂

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I'm not talking about the plane he is getting on at BWI to Providence...................I'm talking about the seat he has on the current plane he is on that he is going to get off at in BWI..............

When off loading if he is sitting in the back of the plane can take an additional 15 minutes or more to get off that plane if he is sitting at the back of the plane.

Yes, multitasking and posting doesn't work.  

I am sitting on the plane to PVD and had to run to make it happen. I highly doubt my luggage will have the same luck. Eventually I guess my block and model will meet up. 

OMG I just saw my suitcase get loaded aboard. I need to say some payers of thanks tonight. 

AND.... it looks like I won't be taking my first Carnival cruise any time soon! 

Thank you all for following my trip. 

• Like 39

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

Sorry about your laptop and the missing luggage. Glad you enjoyed your first Pinnacle cruise and it’s benefits. Hope your wife is doing better. I remember her name, but didn’t want to post it since some people keep things close to the chest. Hope to see you both again soon.

We started doing that the last 2 cruises. The times before we would always get caught up in the crowd of people waiting for Uber or whatever ride they were taking. I hate having to wake up earlier, but I have come to hate the crowds even more.

This is probably more than you wanted, but this is what Mike said. Every airport in the US starts with a K, but it’s shortened to FLL. Below is an approach chart.

”Fort Lauderdale - Hollywood International (KFLL) has approaches to 4 runways (10 L/R, 28 L/R).  Their lowest minimum approach is the Instrument Landing System (ILS) Runway 10L Approach.  The minimums allowable are 207' and 1/2 mile visibility (or 2400 RVR).

What this means is that an aircraft is not allowed to start an approach if the visibility is less than 1/2 mi (or 2400 RVR) or, if they have the visibility to start the approach, they must be able to see the runway by 207' altitude or they must discontinue the approach.

There are other factors that can affect the airport (winds greater than 50 knots, high crosswinds, power outages, etc).”

911502A5-910D-43E8-9F83-A38C784192C1.jpeg

Thank you. Tell Mike I love him. 😄

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I am sitting on the plane to PVD and had to run to make it happen. I highly doubt my luggage will have the same luck. Eventually I guess my block and model will meet up. 

OMG I just saw my suitcase get loaded aboard. I need to say some payers of thanks tonight. 

Wow, glad you made it, as well as your suitcase.  I hate running thru airports to make connections.

Safe travels for leg 2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was able to get my old laptop functioning again. I forced it into hard shutdown but turning off with the power button rather than the normal shutdown command.  When it powered up again, it gave me a list of trouble shooting options, so I selected a reset option without any changes to the computer, and that worked. The most extreme option on the list would be to erase everything, and go to the initial factory settings.  The old computer was always a pain to get logged on, to the point that I kept it logged on all of the time, disabling all of the sleep and logoff functions. 

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 10

33 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thank you. Tell Mike I love him. 😄

He thought you would like that and he loves you too. 😆 Glad you and your luggage made it on the plane.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

Fancy.  I don’t suppose Mike uses any of these things anymore.  This was my flight computer when I was learning to fly.  It kind of reminded me of using a slide rule. 

B68312D9-4E0C-4EE4-9DD5-636DCDF8F0D1.thumb.png.5e369240dc7d72f43a56338a82c66571.png

Then there were the paper maps to chart your flight.  This one encompasses Pittsburgh and Cleveland, with all the smaller airports.  

C410BA3A-B072-4EF6-833F-FF1D7BC5C4AF.thumb.jpeg.694e508bceeec68bcf5ad7411db8d699.jpeg

I learned to fly out of a small airport in Grove City, PA, and I can still make out some of the lines plotting courses to other airports in the area.  

I wish I would have kept up with it, but marriage and kids got in the way, and I suddenly had other things to spend money on. 

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Fancy.  I don’t suppose Mike uses any of these things anymore.  This was my flight computer when I was learning to fly.  It kind of reminded me of using a slide rule. 

B68312D9-4E0C-4EE4-9DD5-636DCDF8F0D1.thumb.png.5e369240dc7d72f43a56338a82c66571.png

Then there were the paper maps to chart your flight.  This one encompasses Pittsburgh and Cleveland, with all the smaller airports.  

C410BA3A-B072-4EF6-833F-FF1D7BC5C4AF.thumb.jpeg.694e508bceeec68bcf5ad7411db8d699.jpeg

I learned to fly out of a small airport in Grove City, PA, and I can still make out some of the lines plotting courses to other airports in the area.  

I wish I would have kept up with it, but marriage and kids got in the way, and I suddenly had other things to spend money on. 

We both used whiz wheels. He probably hasn’t used one since about 1986. I learned in 1998 at Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport. He used to use the maps until 2016 then started using his own iPad with charts, etc and then AA started supplying them for everyone in 2018. We would use the charts to wrap birthday presents in. People always got a kick out of it.

• Like 9

21 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

My son and his fiancé had their civil marriage ceremony yesterday, 2/3/2023.  It wasn’t at the courthouse but at a business office set up as something like a Vegas chapel.  Here is where you bring you marriage license, you sign papers, they perform the ceremony and they file and send in the paperwork. The room was decorated very pretty but only ten people are allowed at a ceremony.  So just some immediate family members came.  Afterwards, we got some catered food to serve at my MIL’s house for 14 of us.  It was a very nice day and event.  I ordered a cake and made the silk flower cake topper for it and surprised them with it.  Their actual wedding and reception will be a destination wedding later this month in Mexico.

We started our trip to the ceremony very very early Thursday morning.

748710F9-E031-4B81-981A-63A1B6C43587.thumb.jpeg.4c5154bfb9f74601560720711ed01116.jpeg

The room where the ceremony was performed

B6640275-8877-4BE9-A0FD-88BD5166ADAE.thumb.jpeg.e58d19d212e62278c61668764c40805e.jpeg

52821889-D934-4730-9F3C-F3A7E39E5013.thumb.jpeg.0dc20c1a90c39051a123a2b60bb7a2a6.jpeg

The cake topper that I made

DDC55857-0ACF-47B0-87D9-80D4EB567350.thumb.jpeg.4024f45de09ab02bdb49a5aa94142db6.jpeg

The Cake- Chocolate cake with Strawberry Filling/Whipped Cream Frosting

6704268D-39B2-4594-9F63-6BC47244789B.thumb.jpeg.a161ab6af491f7413fd275cb902dd1fd.jpeg

10342489-5C0A-40F9-A113-7FBC6266AE76.thumb.jpeg.f65140cad422dfa08f4f9f4316d9d2da.jpeg

798207B2-0EEA-41AF-B688-90112C00D0EB.thumb.jpeg.aff4a66e70c9d49067698e86f62f0723.jpeg

1B6A3EC3-64B1-4558-85A7-BFBE91129AE3.thumb.jpeg.44bdc66cb7aaa5ba24e94325fb7e392d.jpeg

A lovely setting for a wedding and the cake looks delicious!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Lucy is watching. 

Andrew, thinking about Lucy. That's the text I've got from my friend in Montreal (she already has 3 "inside" cats), and I was wondering if there is a "limit" of cold weather where you'll bring Lucy "inside" --

[Pic]

It's the stray, Ebony.

-37C he would freeze to death. Got him hiding in my basement (He's now in my basement because it would be too cold outside tonight).

Edited by dani negreanu
more info
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Dinner tonight. Pork loin. We leave for hockey in an hour and a bit. 

DA2A5C02-27C4-4946-B9F2-2A973A3A56A3.thumb.jpeg.815c6586534b5203ea80e1f9b219fad3.jpeg

Seeing this reminded me that we have a great recipe for marinated pork tenderloin.  One of my favorites.  Haven't made it in a while but that will need to change.

1/2 cup oil

1/3 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

3 tablespoons lemon juice

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon parsley

1 tablespoon dry mustard

1.5 teaspoons pepper

1 clove garlic crushed

Combine all ingredients and marinate pork covered and refrigerated for 4 hours.  Grill or broil.

Yum.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Seeing this reminded me that we have a great recipe for marinated pork tenderloin.  One of my favorites.  Haven't made it in a while but that will need to change.

1/2 cup oil

1/3 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

3 tablespoons lemon juice

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon parsley

1 tablespoon dry mustard

1.5 teaspoons pepper

1 clove garlic crushed

Combine all ingredients and marinate pork covered and refrigerated for 4 hours.  Grill or broil.

Yum.

That sounds good. I have a pork tenderloin in the fridge, ready to try out your recipe.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Luckynana said:

We are going to finally check in for our B2B today.  I'm guessing it doesn't matter what time I put for our second part of the B2B, correct??  since we would be taken off the ship with the group of B2Bers after the first leg??

We were advised to pick the latest time, since you won't be using it anyway. ☺️ That leaves earlier slots for the people that are boarding that day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Coralc said:

We were advised to pick the latest time, since you won't be using it anyway. ☺️ That leaves earlier slots for the people that are boarding that day.

This is exactly what we do for b2b checkins.    Happy to hear that others do the same 😀

• Like 4

We like bacon wrapped pork loins. 😄

BaconWrappedPorkLoin.webp.bd780700d7da588ae117fe840942b54d.webp

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 325°F.

2. On plate, rub pork loin with olive oil and coat both sides of loin with brown sugar.

3. Line your baking sheet with plastic wrap and place bacon strips in rows on top of the plastic wrap.

4. Place pork loin on top of bacon and roll the bacon on the loin using the plastic wrap. Discard plastic wrap.

5. Bake in oven for 35 minutes or until the internal temp gets to 145°F. Baste the pork loin with drippings every 10 minutes.

6. Let loin rest under foil 5 minutes before slicing.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Coralc said:

We like bacon wrapped pork loins. 😄

BaconWrappedPorkLoin.webp.bd780700d7da588ae117fe840942b54d.webp

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 325°F.

2. On plate, rub pork loin with olive oil and coat both sides of loin with brown sugar.

3. Line your baking sheet with plastic wrap and place bacon strips in rows on top of the plastic wrap.

4. Place pork loin on top of bacon and roll the bacon on the loin using the plastic wrap. Discard plastic wrap.

5. Bake in oven for 35 minutes or until the internal temp gets to 145°F. Baste the pork loin with drippings every 10 minutes.

6. Let loin rest under foil 5 minutes before slicing.

That sounds even better than my marinated recipe!

Bacon Makes Everything Better Shirt image 1

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

That sounds even better than my marinated recipe!

Bacon Makes Everything Better Shirt image 1

So true.  Reminds me to get back to my smoker.  I’ve done a lot of whole chickens and did 3 turkeys for thanksgiving this year that turned out tremendous!  I’ve been working on briskets and prefer just the flats to whole briskets.  I don’t like the fatty brisket ( maybe in the minority there)  so the flats are perfect for me.  Here’s my turkeys …

4717CF00-EC00-465E-86C3-CB3A5A3E1767.thumb.jpeg.423d2146f2d835248fd2aee12130209c.jpeg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Is Grove City anywhere near West Grove? I made some friends in the Schooner Bar from there. 

• Like 1