Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

I am playing catch up this morning on this thread.

I can’t believe that no one mentioned that Raquel Welch passed away.  I still have my poster of her from 1,000,000 years BC.  I would assume that many others had that same poster in the late 60’s.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

Sounds wonderful, especially the overnight in Livorno. We have a Med cruise on Symphony in May going to some of the same Ports. 

My DH's family was stationed in Germany with the Canadian Forces in the 60s and early 70s

We did a very similar itin to what the symphony has this year on the liberty.  We used Rome in limo for Rome and Florence and were very pleased.  For Naples, we took a rccl tour and went to capri; which was amazing.  Love to redo that cruise but many ones still on bucket list.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Congratulations on your 35th anniversary this weekend.  That looks like a nice trip to celebrate.

I think my favorite tour from Naples was visiting Mt. Vesuvius and Pompei. We visited several of those ports on a 14 day sailing from Southampton in 2019.  If you are interested in reading about any of the places we visited, I did a live report from that cruise.  I see you are like I was, trying to gather as much info before the trip.

Here is a link to that review.

Thanks  for the link Mark.  Once the granddaughters get picked up this morning, I know how I’m spending my first quiet time!

• Like 2

When Andrew got home from church youth group last night, he complained that he had hurt his wrist  while playing soccer with the other boys. He had fallen on it awkwardly. It was starting to swell, and he was in a lot of pain, so we headed to the ER since urgent care was already closed by then (they close at 8, ugh). We were there until about 11:20 p.m. The x-rays showed no fractures, thank God! They gave him a splint and some ibuprofen.

Early on, I felt like it was maybe overkill to go to the ER for what turned out to be a sprain, but the last time we did the "wait-and-see" after an injury, it turned out that he had broken his finger and needed to be in a cast for a month. I didn't want to make that mistake again.

I'm so exhausted today, and one of our new bosses is going to be spending the day with us. My company got bought out in December and it's been crazy busy since then.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I am playing catch up this morning on this thread.

I can’t believe that no one mentioned that Raquel Welch passed away.  I still have my poster of her from 1,000,000 years BC.  I would assume that many others had that same poster in the late 60’s.

I had the same poster. She was the first girl I ever had a crush on.

BC8843F5-F5B5-47EA-B8AD-9D874E2A85E0.thumb.jpeg.127ddbb68b3564193a8c585ad2441b0b.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

When Andrew got home from church youth group last night, he complained that he had hurt his wrist  while playing soccer with the other boys. He had fallen on it awkwardly. It was starting to swell, and he was in a lot of pain, so we headed to the ER since urgent care was already closed by then (they close at 8, ugh). We were there until about 11:20 p.m. The x-rays showed no fractures, thank God! They gave him a splint and some ibuprofen.

you did the right thing to go to the ER, I slipped and fell on ice on my way to the office 4 weeks ago, and kept saying I am fine until 1:00 p.m. that day when I realized I was not fine, fractures in 2 bones, I have been in a hard splint for 4 weeks (love that I can take it off to shower) and have another follow up today.  Pain was really bad at first due to the swelling compressing the tendons.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Early on, I felt like it was maybe overkill to go to the ER for what turned out to be a sprain, but the last time we did the "wait-and-see" after an injury, it turned out that he had broken his finger and needed to be in a cast for a month. I didn't want to make that mistake again.

I'm so exhausted today, and one of our new bosses is going to be spending the day with us. My company got bought out in December and it's been crazy busy since then.

Hoping Andrew feels better soon.  I can sympathize with you on not going right away.  Did that with my son once, kept telling him it's just a bump after a snowboarding fall.  Yep 2 days later x rays showed a broken bone in the back of his hand.  Still haven't lived that one down more than 10 years later.

• Like 4

On 2/12/2023 at 11:41 AM, Ocean Boy said:

I came home with it from my Odyssey cruise. It has knocked me on my a$$. I made it through 3 yrs of pandemic, working with sick people, and 2 cruises since re-opening. The third cruise did me in. 😏

Sorry to hear you were sick.

On 2/12/2023 at 1:25 PM, Ocean Boy said:

This is how we are spending this recovery afternoon. Jade, at least, seems pretty content. 

20230212_121448.thumb.jpg.2515509d47b37ecc7680734bcdceeff3.jpg

Very content kitty.

On 2/12/2023 at 3:37 PM, Tree_skier said:

DW tends to like the deck above the pool deck off in some corner somewhere.  However, we have a CLS for this one since it is our 30th anniversary.  Between our own large balcony and the suite area above the pool deck I doubt I will find her anywhere else.  

Happy Anniversary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No power here since early this morning 1:20am.......Have generator running now for coffee maker and got internet back on so my Wife can still work. Downstairs fridge is running.

Power is out because of down trees,was very windy yesterday and last night....Estimate on repair was first at 8am,then 1pm and now just checked 2pm.

Temperature in house is still around 65 degrees,not to bad,high today outside might hit 60 degrees.

Just got back from getting more gas,picked up two hoagies at Subway for lunch.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Here's hoping Andrew feels better and is not in much pain.

You were right to go to the ER.  We never want to see our kids in pain.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, clochette said:

you did the right thing to go to the ER, I slipped and fell on ice on my way to the office 4 weeks ago, and kept saying I am fine until 1:00 p.m. that day when I realized I was not fine, fractures in 2 bones, I have been in a hard splint for 4 weeks (love that I can take it off to shower) and have another follow up today.  Pain was really bad at first due to the swelling compressing the tendons.

Hope you heal quickly!

2 hours ago, akcruz said:

Hoping Andrew feels better soon.  I can sympathize with you on not going right away.  Did that with my son once, kept telling him it's just a bump after a snowboarding fall.  Yep 2 days later x rays showed a broken bone in the back of his hand.  Still haven't lived that one down more than 10 years later.

Exactly!! 😬

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Coralc said:

LOL. Bill went to the Tulare Ag Show with our neighbor and another friend. https://www.worldagexpo.com/   It is probably something *I* would have been more interested in, but it is a guy trip. And he really has no interest in Agriculture, other than my former career. ☺️ And Yee-haw, tonight they are going to the tractor pulls! 😄 So Bobby the cat, and I have the whole night to ourselves. ☺️

I've been before... You can get the best brisket sandwiches.  I have no interest in Ag but it's a chance to embrace my inner red neck.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Amazing what a difference 10 hours makes to this statement.😇

Yeah... and it's your fault too LOL. Sharron enjoys cruising but I'm the addict and she sometimes mentions doing other things instead of cruising. I'm working a couple of hours from home and Sharron went to my daughters and the spent the night Tuesday night and came home yesterday.  I mentioned the  email you sent just as casual conversation and said "but since that is near your XX birthday (landmark year) I imagine you'll want to do something else" thinking she would poopoo the idea.  She replied "Oh no, that sounds great, let's take Tasha and Chris (DD and SIL).  So now I'm paying for another vacation for my kids.  It doesn't matter how old she gets, she still seems to be costing me money and this time you are to blame. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Yeah... and it's your fault too LOL. Sharron enjoys cruising but I'm the addict and she sometimes mentions doing other things instead of cruising. I'm working a couple of hours from home and Sharron went to my daughters and the spent the night Tuesday night and came home yesterday.  I mentioned the  email you sent just as casual conversation and said "but since that is near your XX birthday (landmark year) I imagine you'll want to do something else" thinking she would poopoo the idea.  She replied "Oh no, that sounds great, let's take Tasha and Chris (DD and SIL).  So now I'm paying for another vacation for my kids.  It doesn't matter how old she gets, she still seems to be costing me money and this time you are to blame. 😉 

I told him that he is my favorite  enabler😇

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Guilty as charged.

I expect to be in the same situation as you with my daughter. Vikki was still going on vacations with her parents after we were married and I fully expect that they will continue that tradition.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I had the same poster. She was the first girl I ever had a crush on.

BC8843F5-F5B5-47EA-B8AD-9D874E2A85E0.thumb.jpeg.127ddbb68b3564193a8c585ad2441b0b.jpeg

When we learned of her passing yesterday, Micheline and I talked about who was the greatest female sex symbol of all time.  I leaned toward Raquel Welch but Micheline thought it was Sophia Loren.  She thought that Raquel "tried" to be sexy where for Sophia it was purely natural.  We agreed that Marilyn Monroe would round out the top 3.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, akcruz said:

Whether the x-ray had been obtained the day of the injury or two days later made no difference to the final outcome. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

When we learned of her passing yesterday, Micheline and I talked about who was the greatest female sex symbol of all time.  I leaned toward Raquel Welch but Micheline thought it was Sophia Loren.  She thought that Raquel "tried" to be sexy where for Sophia it was purely natural.  We agreed that Marilyn Monroe would round out the top 3.

A few years ago, Sophia Loren had a speaking engagement in downtown Dallas which we attended , she was very interesting she had one of her sons with her , before the show you could fill out a question on a card and they would pick a few to ask her at the end, we asked what her favorite food was , she replied I am from Naples so of course it was pizza 😁

• Like 7

I learned something interesting today.  The Amelia Island Book Festival has a Gala event every year with a few celebrity authors in attendance and making speeches.  Proceeds go to several charities related to literacy.  David Baldacci has a house here and is often one of the celebrity authors.  He sometimes auctions off the right to name a character in one of his books.  You don't know if the character will play a big role or a small one, and you don't know if the character will be good or evil.  You only know that a character will have the name that you provide.  A guy in our club named Eric Blum won the bid a few years ago and wanted a character named after his wife Carol.  Those of you who have read Baldacci's Atlee Pine series will recognize Carol Blum as Atlee's sort of sidekick.  Not only did Eric end up with a "good guy" character, she's an ongoing character in several of his books.  Small world.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I learned something interesting today.  The Amelia Island Book Festival has a Gala event every year with a few celebrity authors in attendance and making speeches.  Proceeds go to several charities related to literacy.  David Baldacci has a house here and is often one of the celebrity authors.  He sometimes auctions off the right to name a character in one of his books.  You don't know if the character will play a big role or a small one, and you don't know if the character will be good or evil.  You only know that a character will have the name that you provide.  A guy in our club named Eric Blum won the bid a few years ago and wanted a character named after his wife Carol.  Those of you who have read Baldacci's Atlee Pine series will recognize Carol Blum as Atlee's sort of sidekick.  Not only did Eric end up with a "good guy" character, she's an ongoing character in several of his books.  Small world.

I think I've read all of his books.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

So now I'm paying for another vacation for my kids.  It doesn't matter how old she gets, she still seems to be costing me money and this time you are to blame. 😉 

That is the way it works out for some of us.   

I remember thinking - Now that we have paid for our kids college education, that will be the end of the money drain.

Then, after paying for two weddings, I thought that would be the end.

Then we started that tradition of taking them, and the grandkids, along for winter holidays each year.  

But I wouldn’t change a thing.  

• Like 15