Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 8/16/2023 at 11:13 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

I don't even what to think about the fact our fiscal year ends on 8/31.    I cannot wait till we board Serenade for 12 nights in September.    This will be our first official cruise with no laptops to work remotely.     Yippee!!!     I will periodically check my work emails on my phone but that's nothing compared to actually working.

Not long now Debbie. Looking forward to meeting you and your DH on board. I vaguely remember seeing one photo of you , Blond maybe ? Hopefully we don't look too different from my avatar, bit older maybe.  Dani spotted Gary first when we were on the same Beyond cruise last year. 

We're staying two nights precruise in downtown Tampa and our flights have just been confirmed so all looks good to go. 

We haven't got any WiFi package, can someone remind what to do with our phones to use the free app on board but not get roaming charges. Is it put into flight mode and switch on wifi calling ? Or just put into flight mode.

Also any ideas for Grand Caymen DIY, beach day or otherwise .

In Aruba we have a late departure, any ideas of a nice restaurant in town for an evening meal?

Sue

• Like 3

On 8/17/2023 at 1:31 PM, h20skibum said:

Yesterday was our Unbirthday celebration for our grandson from California.  He will turn 11, a week from Friday, but he will be back in California by then.  

Our party size grew at the last minute, when my sister said her kids were going to be in town with their kids, so we added five more to our list and went to buy more steak and chicken.  That was one of my tasks, to grill all the meat.  

This was a first to grill for that many people.  Filled the grill twice to get it all cooked, but everything turned out perfect. 

IMG_8683.thumb.jpeg.85887f07b7d37df85f288ebfc943efb3.jpeg

I think I mentioned that this year’s theme would be Harry Potter.    I understand they do have Harry Potter bounce houses, but none are available for rent in our area, so we had a regular one. 

IMG_8664.thumb.jpeg.feebbe3025224b6ca013bdf94fe1941d.jpeg

The kids all had a blast on it. 

IMG_8670.thumb.jpeg.bb1cf943dd81930182a29d01b6f2816d.jpeg

We had a talking, sorting hat.  Our granddaughter had fun with it, finding everyone’s house. 

What would the party be without butter beer

IMG_8628.thumb.jpeg.73b9d0b541ee0f7d30f71fd62f622c6b.jpeg

And fishy green ale

IMG_8671.thumb.jpeg.bd4651b267feba0ab37127e5a6096a42.jpeg

We had our favorite bakery make some Potter cookies for the party

IMG_8681.thumb.jpeg.36aea8cc5265d4950ca352f175b013eb.jpeg

And our cake lady made a nice Potter theme cake. 

IMG_8680.thumb.jpeg.6795136805aec6ad313b5067c8955e31.jpeg

And finally, we had an Owlery, and all the kids at the party got to adopt an owl to take home.  

IMG_8675.thumb.jpeg.5614a57d4fc5f1c841da4ee65afffe7d.jpeg

I will say, even I still enjoy bouncing and sliding, and hope I never get too old for it. 

IMG_8674.thumb.jpeg.0c05b4f1f0abf86c1c2ef95eed431c35.jpeg

Susan did a fantastic job with all the other food prep for the party.  I think I will keep her around.  Sorry Tracy. 🤣

Looks absolutely fabulous.  My DIL would so love this. She is a massive HP fan 

Happy 11th birthday to your grandson 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is sunny and 65°F and we are relaxing in our garden room before the Ladies world cup final football in just over 1 hours time.

I pray everyone is safe and well.

Good luck to England.  One of DH’s friends called after we returned from the beach.  He had  a spare free ticket.  So, DH is at the stadium right now.

E8B2990D-7E3B-4FBB-A591-6D500936C5DD.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

We haven't got any WiFi package, can someone remind what to do with our phones to use the free app on board but not get roaming charges. Is it put into flight mode and switch on wifi calling ? Or just put into flight mode.

Airplane mode, then turn on WiFi (I believe if you have Apple phones, airplane mode won't turn off your WiFi).  

Then you connect to the network called <shipname GUEST> (or some variation of that) and it will ask if you want to sign in to an internet package or just use the App for free.... choose the App only mode, and you're good to go for the whole cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is sunny and 65°F and we are relaxing in our garden room before the Ladies world cup final football in just over 1 hours time.

I pray everyone is safe and well.

Safe, well but nervous.  I am ready to go back to the athletics at any point. 

• Like 1

Yesterday was a quiet day, and a day to get things back in order.  Drained, cleaned and refilled our hot tub in the morning.  It feels pretty good on this 58° morning.  

Came across this geodome greenhouse, under construction, on our walk yesterday. 

IMG_8723.thumb.jpeg.3347d0035df0d532332a6f297ff6c8db.jpeg

Looks like they still have to install vents and the door. It will be interesting to see the finished product. It looks like it is about 30-35 foot diameter, so it is a good size one. 

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Coralc said:

Bobby has been hyperthyroid for 3 years and his thyroid hormones keep breaking through the medication and he gets skinny and vomits sometimes. I've never heard of medicated cream. He is up to 15 mg. of Felimazole a day. (which is like a people dose) But he is doing pretty well and goes back to the vet on Tuesday to have his thyroid checked again. 

Bobby loves his pet carrier box. We just leave it in the living room, and he sleeps in it, off and on during the day and sometimes at night. 😊 I had a photo, but things seem to be posting wonky, so never mind. 

5 hours ago, Coralc said:

And just out of curiosity @TravelGirlinDallas have you had any new carpets installed recently? It would only be anecdotal, of course. But there is some speculation that more cats are becoming hyperthyroid because of the stain proofing in new carpeting and the fact that they lay on it and bathe so much with their tongues. 

Bobby, and a previous cat, Walter both developed hyperthyroidism after new carpeting was installed.  I was just kind of curious if any others noticed a connection. 

The cream is methimazole. You rub it on the inside of their ears twice a day. It’s easier than giving a pill twice a day (although I can do that). 

Our carpet is15 years old; it was replaced back when we bought the house. It does need to be replaced again, but we haven’t done it yet. I did not know of the 

link between new carpet and cat hyperthyroidism! I’ll keep that in mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

Not long now Debbie. Looking forward to meeting you and your DH on board. I vaguely remember seeing one photo of you , Blond maybe ? Hopefully we don't look too different from my avatar, bit older maybe.  Dani spotted Gary first when we were on the same Beyond cruise last year. 

We're staying two nights precruise in downtown Tampa and our flights have just been confirmed so all looks good to go. 

Also any ideas for Grand Caymen DIY, beach day or otherwise .

In Aruba we have a late departure, any ideas of a nice restaurant in town for an evening meal?

Sue

I'm so excited to get back on Serenade.  She is one of my favorite ships.   

And excited to meet you and Gary.   Yes, I'm a blondy.  I'm sure I will recognize you.   I plan on spending a lot of time on pool deck relaxing and reading.  

We are flying down to Tampa Sunday morning and staying at the Embassy Suites minutes away from the cruise port.

We plan on catching up with good friends that retired and moved to Clearwater.  Probably spend the day with them on Monday.  

I see the other Debbie, brillohead, answered your question about the app.  I'll be happy to help onboard if needed.  

See you in a couple of weeks☺️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well yesterday was a stressful day. We went to a celebration of life for our dear friends mother. I did not eat  lunch but while we were there started to get light headed. I decided to sit down for awhile and apparently someone saw my eyes roll back into my head and I think I passed out. Next thing I’m doing is laying on floor talking to paramedics. I started feeling better after drinking some water and did not want to be taken to the hospital. Linda and the others thought otherwise. So off I went. The paramedics were really nice including the one riding with me who loves to cruise Royal Caribbean too. Got fluids in the ER and some blood work done. The doctor said my potassium levels were real low and probably was the culprit. Now that I think about it this was most likely the cause of my Galveston Cruise episode where I fainted and fell and broke my collarbone. I was also dehydrated and that was caused by my blood pressure medicine having a diuretic in it so I pee more than I put in. So it looks like more bananas will be in my diet. I was extremely embarrassed that it happened but all my friends where so caring and concerned it was nice of them. I’m fine today just a little tired. The staff and doctors at the hospital were great I was in and out after a couple of hours. I’m so glad it wasn’t serious and that it’s treatable with diet. Banana colada anyone????

cheers,

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Well yesterday was a stressful day. We went to a celebration of life for our dear friends mother. I did not eat  lunch but while we were there started to get light headed. I decided to sit down for awhile and apparently someone saw my eyes roll back into my head and I think I passed out. Next thing I’m doing is laying on floor talking to paramedics. I started feeling better after drinking some water and did not want to be taken to the hospital. Linda and the others thought otherwise. So off I went. The paramedics were really nice including the one riding with me who loves to cruise Royal Caribbean too. Got fluids in the ER and some blood work done. The doctor said my potassium levels were real low and probably was the culprit. Now that I think about it this was most likely the cause of my Galveston Cruise episode where I fainted and fell and broke my collarbone. I was also dehydrated and that was caused by my blood pressure medicine having a diuretic in it so I pee more than I put in. So it looks like more bananas will be in my diet. I was extremely embarrassed that it happened but all my friends where so caring and concerned it was nice of them. I’m fine today just a little tired. The staff and doctors at the hospital were great I was in and out after a couple of hours. I’m so glad it wasn’t serious and that it’s treatable with diet. Banana colada anyone????

cheers,

So what was your potassium level?

10 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Linda needs to download the report. I’ll let you know soon. Curious to what you think.

May years ago, when I was first diagnosed with high blood pressure, the Dr prescribed a diuretic.  I did not pee, i sweated off the water, and really did not like the effect.  Since then , I have resisted  any time a Dr tries to prescribe any medicine that includes a diuretic.   

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

The doctor said my potassium levels were real low and probably was the culprit. Now that I think about it this was most likely the cause of my Galveston Cruise episode where I fainted and fell and broke my collarbone. I was also dehydrated and that was caused by my blood pressure medicine having a diuretic in it so I pee more than I put in.

16 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

So what was your potassium level?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Also, if you're on Lasix / furosemide and your doctor isn't monitoring your potassium closely, I'd be pitching a fit!  Even a first-year nursing student knows better!  

Might be time to ask about a different medication... low potassium can really do a number on your body.  Fortunately, there are about 842 different blood pressure medications these days, so there are a lot of options out there!

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

@Sea Dog

Greg, glad you are ok, and thank full you agreed to go to the hospital to get checked out.

Take care

Thank you Sue!

7 minutes ago, mo&amp;fran said:

May years ago, when I was first diagnosed with high blood pressure, the Dr prescribed a diuretic.  I did not pee, i sweated off the water, and really did not like the effect.  Since then , I have resisted  any time a Dr tries to prescribe any medicine that includes a diuretic.   

Yes I hate the diuretic meds. It’s hard to get a good nights sleep as I’m always getting up to go to the bathroom. 

4 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Inquiring minds want to know!

Also, if you're on Lasix / furosemide and your doctor isn't monitoring your potassium closely, I'd be pitching a fit!  Even a first-year nursing student knows better!  

Might be time to ask about a different medication... low potassium can really do a number on your body.  Fortunately, there are about 842 different blood pressure medications these days, so there are a lot of options out there!

We are trying to access the report now. No I’m not on Lasix but I agree it’s time to have that talk with my primary care doctor. Linda’s mother had potassium issues and you are right they did a number on her. She would get delusional. At first Linda that she was having a stroke. Pretty scary.

• Like 5

@Sea Dog Greg, glad you're okay now!  

I've been taking blood pressure meds since my teens (both my mom and dad had it) and had to change meds a couple times due to side effects.  Finally found one that seems to do the trick with no noticeable side effects (Enalapril).  I can't remember some of the specifics (was one of the first meds I tried), but one of the beta blockers (Lopressor I think it was) really had some crazy side effects.

• Like 3

I will say, I feel much better about the care I am receiving back here in Florida than I ever did in Ct. I had a PCP and Cardi guy prescribing meds on their own, no matter how much I pleaded with them to talk to each other, that did not happen.

Even here , my PCP is the only one doing the prescribing.  

The PCP office has 2 Dr's, and when in the hospital , the partner visits the patients.  At one point, he talked about changing a med, but he said there would be an effect that didn't like, and he didn't change it.  My subsequent office visit, my guy wanted to make that same change, so I asked him to go talk to his partner before he did it. And, he didn't make the change.  Scary.

• Like 8

Just now, Husky1987 said:

@Sea Dog Greg, glad you're okay now!  

I've been taking blood pressure meds since my teens (both my mom and dad had it) and had to change meds a couple times due to side effects.  Finally found one that seems to do the trick with no noticeable side effects (Enalapril).  I can't remember some of the specifics (was one of the first meds I tried), but one of the beta blockers (Lopressor I think it was) really had some crazy side effects.

Thanks Larry I’ve written this down and will talk to my doctor about it. In a perfect world after my knee replacement in November I’m going to get back into the gym and workout so I can lose even more weight and hopefully get off the blood pressure meds.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks Larry I’ve written this down and will talk to my doctor about it. In a perfect world after my knee replacement in November I’m going to get back into the gym and workout so I can lose even more weight and hopefully get off the blood pressure meds.

I hear ya...my BP is semi-controlled with weight loss and exercise but never gets quite low enough to get off at least a low dose of meds.  

My last year living in KC (1990) I was running 7 miles a day 6 days a week, and still had to take a low dose to keep it well within the "normal" range.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

cheers,

Wow Greg...glad that you're OK.  Definitely time to see your doctor.  Everyone is different but I use a combo of Amlodipine and Losartan that does a great job of controlling my BP with almost no side effects.  I just need to careful about not getting out of bed too quickly in the middle of the night or I'll get dizzy.  

I'm always amazed about the topics that pop up in this thread. 🙂

• Like 11

@Sea Dog Greg, I'm so glad you're feeling better and I do remember that scary Galveston cruise episode!  Always remember to eat and drink sufficiently.  

I worry about Jack, who is a type 2 diabetic on Ozempic which kills his appetite.  I talk myself blue to get him to eat on a regular basis, so important for a diabetic.  BTW, he lost 20 pounds and looks and feels wonderful and has none of the stomach issues associated with the drug.  AND his lab #s are good!

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Happy to hear that you went and got checked out at the hospital and they were able to treat and send you home.

Not only do you feel better about it but I know Linda does too!   It's scary to see somewhere have an episode like that.  

I hope the injections the other day are alleviating your knee pain.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I started feeling better after drinking some water and did not want to be taken to the hospital. Linda and the others thought otherwise. So off I went

I’m glad you are feeling better and hope some different medicine may prevent a recurrence.  But you need to be more mindful of listening to your wife.  If you had refused to go to the hospital can you imagine how worried she would have been for who knows how long?

• Like 7