Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

22 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

My dad smoked from age 10 and he lived till 85.

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My mother also never smoked and died of lung cancer at age 72. My father smoked cigars, never cigarettes and lived till 85.He never smoked anywhere near my mother.

A good friend of mine who never smoked died of lung cancer also at 72 but his wife was a chain smoker.

Go figure....😢😢

My first wife's mom  passed from lung cancer, never smoked. Lived in an old farm house in Pennsylvania, and I suspected it was Radon. When we bought our Ct house, the state  required a Radon test and it failed. The sellers had to have someone come in, d rill a hole in the basement floor, and run a pipe from there to the attic, where a fan was installed, and vent it outside.

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 1

^5  to all of those in here who stopped smoking so long ago! Amazing to follow through and not smoke again.

Dani I hope this expected cease fire will be a very long one.  Unfortunately, too realistic to think it will ever be a  forever one.  You always tell it like it is in here and I know we all appreciate your honesty.  You live it while we just read about it.  Those iron domes, as expensive as they are, thankfully, have been amazingly effective.  Glad the attacks will be over soon so you can go on with your lives again, sleeping peacefully in your own bed, staying out of those bomb shelters.

• Thanks 1

I guess I quit at a VERY young age.

As I have been told, I was about 3 when my mother (a smoker) sat her cigarette in the ashtray to make my bed.  I wandered over and took a puff, just like she did.  I turned green and threw up all over the bed.  That’s the last time I ever smoked.  So, I quit about 64 years ago.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ATG said:

I guess I quit at a VERY young age.

As I have been told, I was about 3 when my mother (a smoker) sat her cigarette in the ashtray to make my bed.  I wandered over and took a puff, just like she did.  I turned green and threw up all over the bed.  That’s the last time I ever smoked.  So, I quit about 64 years ago.

When my father got up and left his beer on the kitchen table I snuck a sip.  I was probably around 6, 7 at the time.  I didn't throw up but to this day, I never drink beer.  Good lesson for both of us. 🤢 🍺👎

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Based on previous pictures, can't believe how much he's grown.  What are you guys feeding him? He's quite the handsome young man.

Owen is now taller than me. He seems to eat whatever is in front of him. 

• Like 5

I am having difficulty completely ditching my mask. It has become part of my daily make up. Mask withdrawal symptoms are hard. So slowly.......today I didn't wear it in the parking lot. 😁.  I don't think I am going to stop wearing it indoors soon.

Saved so much money on lipstick and lip gloss last year. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

When my father got up and left his beer on the kitchen table I snuck a sip.  I was probably around 6, 7 at the time.  I didn't throw up but to this day, I never drink beer.  Good lesson for both of us. 🤢 🍺👎

My last beer was in 1990.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I am having difficulty completely ditching my mask. It has become part of my daily make up. Mask withdrawal symptoms are hard. So slowly.......today I didn't wear it in the parking lot. 😁.  I don't think I am going to stop wearing it indoors soon.

Saved so much money on lipstick and lip gloss last year. 😁

I wore mine this morning as I had Ambulatory surgery in a surgical suiteI wore it during the procedure too.

6 hours ago, island lady said:

We love taking the little car Ferry there! 🙂   Did that on the way up and back a few months ago during our "road trip" doing some B&Bs along the coast.  Our furthest north B&B was in Fernandina Beach.  

There is a great restaurant for lunch on the north side, which is on the right (on the water) as you turn to head north.  Can see the ferry run back and forth from the large open deck outside.  Great fish sandwiches!  

We took the ferry once.  It was an enjoyable change of pace.  Only about a 15 minute trip.  I think it's only used by people who live in Mayport or do it for tourism reasons.  Otherwise, it's faster to take I-295 and Hecksher Drive to get to the same place. 

The restaurant that you mention is probably the Sandollar.  We ate there once and the food was good.  Would be even better in warmer weather when you can sit on the deck overlooking the St. Johns River.  You also get a good view of the Mayport Naval Station across the river.  They were doing some sort of helicopter exercises when we ate there.

An even better place to eat, if you like VERY fresh seafood, is on the Mayport side of the ferry.  It's called Safe Harbor seafood.  It's a seafood basket and picnic table kind of place, i.e. not fancy at all. Many of the fishing boats dock right there and they also have a wholesale seafood market (open to the public) right across the street.  Food is caught that day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, taznremmy said:

This was hilarious!!  The guy definitely is creative and clever.  Hope he channels it into something useful.

He's a former NASA Engineer.  I don't know how long he worked at NASA but he spent 7 years as part of the team that developed the original Mars Curiosity rover.  He started making YouTube videos almost 10 years ago and now has more than 18 million followers.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

We took our kids to a science museum in Louisville many years ago and one of the exhibits was pig lungs.  They are apparently similar to human lungs.  One was healthy and one had simulated smoking for many years.  The difference in visual appearance between the two was enough to scare my kids away from smoking but then they inflated both lungs with air.  The healthy lung inflated like a balloon while the smoking lung barely moved.  It was a very effective anti-smoking exhibit.  

• Like 1

My dad was a smoker and one day he just decided to quit.  And he did quit- cold turkey.

Before our first baby was born, we told my FIL who was a smoker that he had to quit because we didn't want the baby around someone who smoked.  He quit his smoking right away.

As for masks, I'm counting the days till I can ditch my mask.  Our governor says we still have to wear them until June 15.  That's the day he says California will reopen its economy.  Everywhere I go, I see people very obedient and wearing their masks.  Makes me feel bad for taking mine off as soon as I step out of the store.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Massachusetts is one of the few states that still has a mask mandate.  Our Governor announced earlier this week that the mask mandate is up on May 29th and all other restrictions are being lifted with the exception of mass transit, healthcare facilities and a few other things.  All businesses can go to 100% capacity and all the businesses that have not been allowed to open yet can finally open.  Gradually stores are announcing that they are dropping their mask mandates on May 29th and follow the states guideline but time will tell.  Right now, I see 100% mask wearing inside but people are starting to not wear them outside as our state allowed a couple of weeks ago.  I am not sure what I am going to do once we can stop wearing them.  I have not had a single respiratory issue since this pandemic started but I have also isolated myself too.  Though I am fully vaccinated, I might be one of those mask wearing people in the grocery store.

You do what makes you feel safe.  I'm sure lots of people will still wear them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Busy day here today. We had two teams of electricians out one at my moms and Sharon’s,  Hydro One (power company), propane company, landscapers looking at moms garden, vacuumed pool etc. 

Part two of the generator install is done at moms. Now ready for an outage, not that I am wishing for one. Had to adjust a sprinkler head so it wasn’t aimed right at the generator. 

4E3186B4-C79A-4E4C-8023-854088142946.thumb.jpeg.76938cefb5ffeefe767b6b5b2a3c75dc.jpeg

From this angle the tank is tucked nicely into bush. Just some grass seed to go down to finish it off. 

1A49C105-0610-4718-AD2F-1FAEF25EF2E6.thumb.jpeg.99c8d8f15e8b342c2e885a4f17c725d2.jpeg

At Sharon’s it was a one day generator install. I need to change her water downspout and add some grass seed as well. Nice to get both done. 

D05ACA30-E9A5-490B-B517-5663E2F3283D.thumb.jpeg.f28640cd3975379306dbf3cfb409d2db.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Congratulations.I quit the hard way.I had a very bad case of pneumonia in 1980 and decided to quit then.

I started in 1965. Quit in 1991, cold turkey. Physically and financially one of the best things I did.  

• Like 3

My reward, a hot shower after a day in the mid-80s.  Also a taco bowl for dinner. 

4C150277-D5F6-47F8-B94D-6F960FEEE7DC.thumb.jpeg.259ad3a4d82f90d6c9ff29489b2fa6b2.jpeg

And Lucy relaxed, after a full day sleeping on the front porch chair. Must have a busy night planned tonight. 

D73607AF-674A-4815-84B9-19C9C59506F9.thumb.jpeg.0de959ab734ec13d95ffaf60ed59c4ba.jpeg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I can only dream of the day

It’s going a while but I’m with you. 

5 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Today is a very special tenth anniversary for me. On May 20, 2011 I smoked for the last time at exactly noon.

Congratulations. An accomplishment worth celebrating.  

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Owen is now taller than me. He seems to eat whatever is in front of him. 

Yes, my 2 sons seemed to eat non stop as teenagers.  I used to food shop once a week but when they were teenagers I think I was at food store 2 or 3 times a week.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, my 2 sons seemed to eat non stop as teenagers.  I used to food shop once a week but when they were teenagers I think I was at food store 2 or 3 times a week.

Sam’s Club and Costco exist because of teenaged boys. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

My last beer was a few hours ago ( and I rarely drink beer , but drink lots of wine and liquor), was at a sports bar to watch a game,

36 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

My last beer was Tuesday. I sense a relapse coming

My last beer was a few seconds before hitting the Submit Reply button.

Heading to the kitchen to get more. Molson Ice, one of Canada's finest, brewed here in the good, ole USA. O-H-I-O, I believe.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1