Ignoring CDC Cruise regulations

We all know cruise ships have been a target by the health organizations and kind of a scapegoat for the pandemic. 

The CDC seems like they don't want cruise ships to continue and have not really cooperated with the cruise lines to restart. Until RCL and NCL came up with a panel to help restart cruising, the CDC made no attempt to help them out. The proposal they said will come out by end of August, but how long will it take for  the CDC to review and go over with the cruiselines what they approve. This will probably take months, well after the hoping for the Oct 1 start.

Also the CDCs regulations of not allowing crew to use commercial flights to get home was ridiculous. These crew members were quarantined for months on the ship with no cases and were tested, yet they had to take private charter flights to go home and then quarantined for another 14 days at a hotel their government had to host them in before they could return to their families. Also the CDC imposed jail time and fines for the cruise lines CEOs and upper management if the crew members were not repatriated the way they said. Pretty extreme guidelines that other industries didn't have to follow.

I know this is a long shot but my question is: if the CDC doesn't show any effort in helping the cruise lines and basically the US government just says cruise at your own risk, would you ignore the CDC regulations and cruise?  

I personally would cruise with all precautions that the cruise lines has mandated.

Edited by Wannacruise81

5 minutes ago, Wannacruise81 said:

I know this is a long shot but my question is: if the CDC doesn't show any effort in helping the cruise lines and basically our government just says cruise at your own risk, would you ignore the CDC regulations and cruise?  

I personally would cruise with all precautions that the cruise lines has mandated.

First, you would have to find cruises out of other continents -- no cruises out of US ports until the CDC gives the green light.  Second, it's not for sure you can even get there due to flight restrictions and banning of US citizens / residents overseas.  Lastly, would you risk having to quarantine in a foreign country due to any one passenger getting sick?  

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 2

I don’t think you read the CDC no sail order and the revised one from this week. Numerous disembarking crew tested positive so quarantine or no quarantine, they were infected. 

The CDC told the Cruise lines what they needed to do and it was completely ignored. 

M8

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Wannacruise81 said:

I know this is a long shot but my question is: if the CDC doesn't show any effort in helping the cruise lines and basically our government just says cruise at your own risk, would you ignore the CDC regulations and cruise?  

If this was possible my answer is no, espically with the current influx of Covid rates. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 4

I think CDC controls the U.S. ports so without the ports being open we cant sail even if we wanted to take the risk. I personally dont see any major cruise lines operating out of U.S. ports for remainder of 2020.

• Like 1

As mentioned above, you would not be cruising out of the US, as no cruise line would go against the CDC.  Ships of any kind are the ideal environment for the spread of the virus. For example, this fishing boat 

https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/argentina/surprise-over-covid-19-cases-onboard-fishing-vessel-after-35-days-at-sea.phtml
In addition, you would not be able to get travel insurance if you sailed at your own risk on a rogue vessel.  It is doubtful your health insurance would even cover you if you put yourself in that position.  Hospitalization from COVID-19 runs in the $500K to $1.5M range.

1 hour ago, Wannacruise81 said:

We all know cruise ships have been a target by the health organizations and kind of a scapegoat for the pandemic. 

The CDC seems like they don't want cruise ships to continue and have not really cooperated with the cruise lines to restart. Until RCL and NCL came up with a panel to help restart cruising, the CDC made no attempt to help them out. The proposal they said will come out by end of August, but how long will it take for  the CDC to review and go over with the cruiselines what they approve. This will probably take months, well after the hoping for the Oct 1 start.

Also the CDCs regulations of not allowing crew to use commercial flights to get home was ridiculous. These crew members were quarantined for months on the ship with no cases and were tested, yet they had to take private charter flights to go home and then quarantined for another 14 days at a hotel their government had to host them in before they could return to their families. Also the CDC imposed jail time and fines for the cruise lines CEOs and upper management if the crew members were not repatriated the way they said. Pretty extreme guidelines that other industries didn't have to follow.

I know this is a long shot but my question is: if the CDC doesn't show any effort in helping the cruise lines and basically the US government just says cruise at your own risk, would you ignore the CDC regulations and cruise?  

Did you read the latest No Sail Order extension?  There are still crew onboard ships that are testing positive.  There are numerous cases where the cruise lines have attested that everyone they were trying to move on a commercial flights in other countries have no symptoms and tested negative and only to have many crew test positive when they are tested in the local countries. The cruise lines have ignored the CDC requirements on crew transfers and onboard activities.

The CDC has spend 38,000 hours reviewing the plans from the cruise lines to transfer their crews only to have the cruise lines ignore the CDC rules. 

The CDC is doing a lot to try and help the cruise lines but the cruise lines appear to be doing little to help themselves.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I don’t think you read the CDC no sail order and the revised one from this week. Numerous disembarking crew tested positive so quarantine or no quarantine, they were infected. 

M8

Does anyone know what 9 ships the cdc is referring to with statement there are some ships still dealing with covid and recovery?

2 hours ago, Wannacruise81 said:

If we cannot even have indoor bars and restaurants open for most states in the US how do you think the cdc would approve a cruise ship to sail out of any us port?

To say they are punishing the cruise lines or they are a scapegoat is ridiculous.  

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Does anyone know what 9 ships the cdc is referring to with statement there are some ships still dealing with covid and recovery?

I thought they referenced 3 or 4 Royal ships in the no sail order. I thought Enchantment was one. 

It’s in one of the CDC no sail order threads. 

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If we cannot even have indoor bars and restaurants open for most states in the US how do you think the cdc would approve a cruise ship to sail out of any us port?

To say they are punishing the cruise lines or they are a scapegoat is ridiculous.  

Well said.

• Like 2

It not just CDC now.....the Bahamas need a negative COVID test before you can enter their waters....this is going to be a real problem for cruise lines using Caribbean ports...everyone on board would have to test negative within 7 days of reaching their waters...how is that going to work?  We were going to Boat to Abaco in September...but are now reconsidering...we have to have an approval from the local government And negative test before we can enter their waters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

What the topic was about was ignoring the CDC all together and the government giving people free will to cruise if they wanted to at their own risk. Question was would you go cruising if the CDC had no decision in the matter and the government said go ahead, but its at your own risk. 

Edited by Wannacruise81

2 minutes ago, Wannacruise81 said:

What the topic was about was ignoring the CDC all together and the government giving people free will to cruise if they wanted to at their own risk. Question was would you go cruising if the CDC had no decision in the matter and the government said go ahead, but its at your own risk. 

With COVID-19, it is not just about "your own risk."  You have the potential of putting others at risk, some of whom will be in the highest risk categories.  

It's not about ME, it's about WE!

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Wannacruise81 said:

I'm confused about the premise of your question.  The cruise lines cannot simply "ignore" the CDC.  They have no choice, unless you are referring to cruises outside of the US.

Even if they could ignore the CDC, do you honestly think they would, risking another incident of not being allowed to dock and having to serve as a floating quarantine?  Do you think they would risk jeopardizing the health of their crew?

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 2

First of all, the CDC strongly disagrees with the notion they haven’t tried to help and posted a ton of info to back that up when they recently extended the no sail order. But not everyone is going to believe the CDC. For purposes of this thread, I’ll play along and assume they are corrupt. 

would I trust the cruise lines to implement appropriate safety measures? Hell no. Be it hurricanes or epidemics, the cruise lines are way to willing to err on the side of sending ships out vs safety. 

if I didn’t trust the CDC, I’d look to see what restrictions other countries are placing. Not the least strict country or the most strict, but the middle of the pack. If the lines weren’t requiring at least that much, no sailing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HicksRA said:

This from CDC.gov. Makes you wonder what the actual ratio of COVID-19 cases are compared to positive test results. Are we being duped? 

D94CDFBA-A598-451A-85C5-1D1F2FD0E337.jpeg

This is specifically addressing antibodies, not a positive C19 tests.  Two different things.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Wannacruise81 said:

35 minutes ago, Wannacruise81 said:

Question was would you go cruising if the CDC had no decision in the matter and the government said go ahead, but its at your own risk. 

Your first question involved several paragraphs disparaging the CDC and then asking would we ignore CDC guidance. 
Your second question is NOT an honest representation of what you had previous discussed, so don’t lecture us on what what your “Question was”.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Wannacruise81 said:

Your hypothetical question was understood.  What many are saying is it will never come down to the government giving us the option to cruise at our own risk -- at least not out of US ports.  The CDC as a United States federal agency, under the Department of Health and Human Services, has the authority to issue no-sail orders and while a no-sail order is in effect, there will be no cruises out of US ports. 

But to answer your question, let's pretend the CDC did not exist or if it were possible to ignore the CDC (not sure how since the CDC is part of the government) I, for one, would not want to risk having to quarantine for any period of time at home or at any port due to any one passenger testing positive for Covid-19.  Or worse, getting infected AND having to quarantine with the possibilities of medical complications and loss of my life.  Cruising can wait as far as I'm concerned.  

• Like 6

The premise is silly.

As if any cruise line would be stupid enough to allow people stupid enough to go on a cruise because the US government says "cruise at your own risk" and in violation of CDC guidelines.

And why would it be the CDC's job to be ""helping cruise lines?"  Government safety standards have been defanged enough.  Please don't ask for more.

• Like 7