Holland stops cruises through Dec 31

oskidunker

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

It's December 15th, just like Princess.  But let's be realistic neither will sail again in 2020.

Have to agree with this.  Frankly, until there's a widespread vaccine, I seriously doubt there will be any mainstream cruise lines sailing the seas.

• Like 1

I have a March 31st cruise booked on Nieuw Statendam. I have just enough $ on the booking to get the max double fcc when they eventually cancel the sailing. I have zero confidence that the cruise will operate and am banking on the double FCC to apply to my 2022 Panama Canal cruise

Thats the sad reality of where I am in confidence as to when cruise will restart in North America. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dog said:

. Thinking of moving my Jan. & April 2021 cruises to fall 2021 / winter 2022. 

Hi Dog,

All I have to say is Good Luck!! I hope everything works out for you. I have decided not to book any cruises right now.

Tony

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Have to agree with this.  Frankly, until there's a widespread vaccine, I seriously doubt there will be any mainstream cruise lines sailing the seas.

I would agree with this. 

We have had 3 bookings cancelled so far including one where final had occurred.   Refunded in full after 90+ days.  We have 3 segments booked for 2021, 2 in March and 1 in Oct.  Not hopeful for March but our Oct TA from Venice on Pacific Princess might happen.  We would like to sail this baby ship before it is sold.

38 minutes ago, Travlin grrl said:

You are right, but it sounds so ominous. 

:(.  Being a realist is sometimes a lonely place.  My thinking has gone well beyond 2020 and I wonder if there will be any cruising in 2021?  I now agree with those who think that mass market cruising is effectively over until we get a safe/effective vaccine that is in widespread use (and likely required to cruise).  I have my doubts that this will happen in 2021.  We have 3 long cruises booked in 2021, but will hedge our bet by not committing to any non-refundable arrangements related to those cruises which involve Europe, Asia and the Caribbean.

Hank

On 8/12/2020 at 7:55 AM, skynight said:

Think 2022 or 2023 for what will be an almost normal cruise experience. We have already cancelled our early 2021 cruises.

So if we don't sail again until 2022 or 2023, are the expiration dates on our FCCs going to be extended?  Hmmm?

56 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

:(.  Being a realist is sometimes a lonely place.  My thinking has gone well beyond 2020 and I wonder if there will be any cruising in 2021?  I now agree with those who think that mass market cruising is effectively over until we get a safe/effective vaccine that is in widespread use (and likely required to cruise).  I have my doubts that this will happen in 2021.  We have 3 long cruises booked in 2021, but will hedge our bet by not committing to any non-refundable arrangements related to those cruises which involve Europe, Asia and the Caribbean.

Hank

We have two booked for 2021 but have only used FCDs for the deposits ($200 for each cruise).  If cancelled we'll just get it back.  

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I’m with you on this.

i can’t see how will resume again in 2021, as the virus will still be out there. There will be some limited attempts with short cruises to nowhere or to a few ports on a very controlled basis.  However, sooner or later, even with the most rigorous procedures in place, the virus will find its way on board, and it’ll all grind to a halt again.

Cruising as we knew it has gone for a long time, maybe for ever.

Many vaccines are in development, but I don’t think they are going to be the magic bullet. If a vaccine is pronounced safe, we still don’t know how effective it will be and a world wide mass vaccination project would be a huge undertaking.

I haven’t even got a date in mind for when I think normal cruising will start again. I have cruises booked for March 2021, October 2021 and January 2022 ( the last 2 are ‘big’ cruises) and I feel that it is very unlikely that I’ll be going on any of them. Also, I’m not even considering booking any other cruises for the foreseeable future.

If cruising doesn’t get going again next year, there’s the real possibility of the cruise companies going under.  

I know it all seems gloomy, but my main hope is to recoup most of the money that I paid for deposits.

It’s just my view - I don’t expect everyone to share it - but I do raise my eyebrows when I read posts about looking forward to a Christmas Cruise, or taking FCC instead of a cash refund. It just makes me think that many haven’t yet realised  the enormity of the  global situation. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 7:50 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I have a March 31st cruise booked on Nieuw Statendam. I have just enough $ on the booking to get the max double fcc when they eventually cancel the sailing. I have zero confidence that the cruise will operate and am banking on the double FCC to apply to my 2022 Panama Canal cruise

Thats the sad reality of where I am in confidence as to when cruise will restart in North America. 

How do you know they will offer the double FCC on the next set of cancellations?  

I thinks it’s a bit naive to think this will magically be gone Jan. 1 - the whole winter to me is a long shot.

I’m thinking it’s going to be a vaccine and/or effective medical therapies that will give cruisers the confidence to sail, not a date. I’m (very) cautiously optimistic about Feb 2022 as a safe bet to book.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

5 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

How do you know they will offer the double FCC on the next set of cancellations?  

Nothing is for sure, but I'm strongly optimistic.  They need to stem the cashflow on refunds as much as possible, hence why both Princess and HAL have introduced the "double your deposit" FCC in their most recent rounds or cancellations.  In the initial rounds of cancels only 30-40% of consumers asked for refunds, now that amount is anywhere between 60-70% requesting refunds (depending on cruise line).  Anyway they can entice us to take and FCC and NOT request a refund they will.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Just now, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Nothing is for sure, but I'm strongly optimistic.  They need to stem the cashflow blled on refunds as much as possible, hence why both Princess and HAL have introduced the "double your deposit" FCC in their most recent rounds or cancellations.  In the initail rounds of cancels only 30-40% of consumers asked for refunds, now that amount is anywhere between 60-70% requesting refunds (depending on cruise line).  Anyway they can entice us to take and FCC and NOT request a refund they will.

Fair enough!  I've just seen where the offer is lessened with each round of cancellations, not that I blame them.  Still, I will keep my fingers crossed for you.