Staying Positive - and Hopeful

wemjam

So, I know a lot of people are predicting no cruising for months, but I prefer to stay positive.  So much so, that in all this craziness I literally just booked the Conquest for Thanksgiving week.  We were scheduled on the Pride for that week in several cabins for a family cruise but bumped it to October 2021 a few months ago, as everyone else going with us got too nervous.  Decided to roll the dice and book on the Conquest for that week.  Price was good, and if I have to wait to get my money back if they cancel so be it... besides I will likely just roll it to a different one next year and take the OBC instead.  Mind you , I have had 3 others cancelled, plus the 1 we had to move already this year  - So not just some naïve fool here with their hand in the sand, had to deal with the fall out already first hand.  Also still booked on the Conquest for December at Christmas (old booking from year ago, but didn't cancel it...letting it ride), and the Legend on Panama Canal in March. 

I did think of something though looking at the forum and Carnivals website, and reading all sorts of things.  Thought just occurs to me, MAYBE the CDC is at least considering letting cruising start again based on the cruise lines submitting their plan for making it work.  The reason I say this is, the No-Sail order ends in just a couple days, if the CDC was so certain that cruising couldn't continue I would think they would have already extended that date (knowing the predicament the cruise lines and travelers are in).  Why wait until the 12th hour to extended it?  I would think they would just do it now..... so MAYBE this is a ray of hope?

Also took the chance on the Conquest because I fully expect it WILL be the short cruises that start up first, and I also know I will likely have restrictions, so a short cruise is a good way to test the waters.  I also expect masks, possible testing before boarding, having to only do Carnival excursions if I get off the ship, etc.  And we are OK will all that.  Reminds me of a time we were boarding for a week long cruise and the nice gentlemen from Carnival that was directing us to the Platinum lounge apologized because they were handing out letters saying the itinerary for our cruise was changing due to weather (I am sure the workers were catching a lot of flack).... I smiled at him and told him, you know what - I am not at work, I am getting on a cruise ship.... I don't care if you take this boat 500 feet out into the port and drive it around in big circles... I AM ON VACATION!!!!  I can deal with a few "rules" if it means I am safe and I can cruise.

I know, I am a glass half full kind of girl and I am sure all the naysayers will chime right in.  

• Like 8

I am also hopeful...its how i live life.

There may be bumps in the road to starting back up, but it will start back up...hopefully sooner than later.    

I am ready...cruises booked for march and august next year.    I would book for November if i had any vacation time left LOL

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

So, I know a lot of people are predicting no cruising for months, but I prefer to stay positive.  So much so, that in all this craziness I literally just booked the Conquest for Thanksgiving week.  We were scheduled on the Pride for that week in several cabins for a family cruise but bumped it to October 2021 a few months ago, as everyone else going with us got too nervous.  Decided to roll the dice and book on the Conquest for that week.  Price was good, and if I have to wait to get my money back if they cancel so be it... besides I will likely just roll it to a different one next year and take the OBC instead.  Mind you , I have had 3 others cancelled, plus the 1 we had to move already this year  - So not just some naïve fool here with their hand in the sand, had to deal with the fall out already first hand.  Also still booked on the Conquest for December at Christmas (old booking from year ago, but didn't cancel it...letting it ride), and the Legend on Panama Canal in March. 

I did think of something though looking at the forum and Carnivals website, and reading all sorts of things.  Thought just occurs to me, MAYBE the CDC is at least considering letting cruising start again based on the cruise lines submitting their plan for making it work.  The reason I say this is, the No-Sail order ends in just a couple days, if the CDC was so certain that cruising couldn't continue I would think they would have already extended that date (knowing the predicament the cruise lines and travelers are in).  Why wait until the 12th hour to extended it?  I would think they would just do it now..... so MAYBE this is a ray of hope?

Also took the chance on the Conquest because I fully expect it WILL be the short cruises that start up first, and I also know I will likely have restrictions, so a short cruise is a good way to test the waters.  I also expect masks, possible testing before boarding, having to only do Carnival excursions if I get off the ship, etc.  And we are OK will all that.  Reminds me of a time we were boarding for a week long cruise and the nice gentlemen from Carnival that was directing us to the Platinum lounge apologized because they were handing out letters saying the itinerary for our cruise was changing due to weather (I am sure the workers were catching a lot of flack).... I smiled at him and told him, you know what - I am not at work, I am getting on a cruise ship.... I don't care if you take this boat 500 feet out into the port and drive it around in big circles... I AM ON VACATION!!!!  I can deal with a few "rules" if it means I am safe and I can cruise.

I know, I am a glass half full kind of girl and I am sure all the naysayers will chime right in.  

I am pretty sure I heard and/or read that the CDC has/had some kind of meeting scheduled for today and a decision to extend the no sail order would not happen until after this meeting. Hopefully someone will correct me soon if this is not accurate. 

59 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am pretty sure I heard and/or read that the CDC has/had some kind of meeting scheduled for today and a decision to extend the no sail order would not happen until after this meeting. Hopefully someone will correct me soon if this is not accurate. 

I read the same thing. 

3 hours ago, wemjam said:

The people that are mean to the Carnival workers  make me mad.  I am definitely in the as long as I can see a sunrise and sunset off the bow of the boat I am good camp.  

• Like 2

The science and the results of cruising in Europe point to no reason to continue the ban on cruising. The only objection to cruising are strictly political, and to continue the ban will create irreputable financial harm to the cruise companies, the suppliers, the ports, and most important harm to the people that work in the industry. 

I wish I could press the button and play the Jeopardy Jingle for 20 seconds and we would have the answer from the CDC.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Moviela said:

The science and the results of cruising in Europe point to no reason to continue the ban on cruising. The only objection to cruising are strictly political, and to continue the ban will create irreputable financial harm to the cruise companies, the suppliers, the ports, and most important harm to the people that work in the industry. 

I wish I could press the button and play the Jeopardy Jingle for 20 seconds and we would have the answer from the CDC.

I wish you could too. This is the longest “20 seconds” ever!!

4 hours ago, wemjam said:

I hope the CDC is going to open cruises again, however many people will not want to pay for cruising with all the restrictions in place at first...Wearing a mask every wear except to eat or in your cabin is a big turnoff for me and I am sure a lot of other people....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Moviela said:

I couldn’t agree more!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Interesting. I hadn't read this piece of info. Where was it posted?  I am still hopeful for a November start date. I know there is a lot of support coming out of Florida to restart sailings. Hoping California departures will begin as well. I am happy to mask up and sail on. 

I have the Conquest booked for January.   I am optimistic.   I am game for any restrictions,  but the hardest one for me will be the Carnival or approved excusions.  We are doing Key West/Cozumel.   We do this quick 4 day often and kind of have our routine,  and it doesn't include a Carnival Excursion.   In Key West we have the places we go to see,  and in Cozumel we grab a cab to Paradise Beach.   But if we need to do Carnival approved,  we will deal with it. 

I am less optimistic that my NCL November 1st out of NYC girl's cruise to Bermuda will happen.   I don't see NYC opening their ports by then.   But, I am trying to stay optimistic!

Crystal Cruises has published their new cruising protocols. Expect Carnival to duplicate most if not all protocols.

Here is a direct link to Crystal's website information.

Highlights include:

*Testing prior to boarding AND at the terminal.

*Mandatory Travel Insurance

*Social distancing and Masks

***ONLY SHIP SPONSORED TOURS. No mention of approved independent touring. Self touring in port strictly prohibited.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/crystal-clean

Edited by kwokpot

7 hours ago, hurricane0226 said:

So if they only allow ship sponsored tours, will Carnival increase the excursions that they have,

I know in GT not much as far as excursions, other than at Margaretville pool area. 

I can't imagine social distancing at that pool.  Every time we've been there, that pool had well over 100 people shoulder to shoulder.  

On 9/24/2020 at 5:28 PM, Moviela said:

What ports? 

I'm not an optimist.  🙂   I am more reality based.       So,  I'll simply wait and see what happens.   I do have a January Glory booked that likely has more probability of being canceled by Carnival.      An issue,  is going to be,  I currently have an extended trip planned,  that I need to look at my options for being COVID tested,  prior to each cruise  and where to get it.    I have this cruise from New Orleans,   then 6 days prior to getting on the next,  out of Miami.     I may have to go home,  since testing is well established here and timely.   (used it for my Alaska trip last month.  🙂  

So certainly, more to be informed about and  complied with.      

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Seago2 said:

What ports? 

All ports in the USA and Australia, many ports in the Caribbean and Asia/South Pacific. The cash flow in in small population economies has been impacted from 3 to 10% of their GNP. Economic aid in some countries, mostly in Africa, to individuals amounts to $4. each. I feel horrible about the people that had very little to start with, and now they have been so impacted by the machinations of actors working in their own self interests without a whiff of concern for the science of the virus that has hurt so many people.