Will you cruise in Jan. or Feb.?

delliemd

I am ready to cruise again even though I'm a little apprehensive. Last Feb. I contracted influenza A on board Princess. I have cruised for 23 years & never been sick on a ship before & also never saw so many sick people. I was not aware of covid-19 at the time. However, life is short  & I'm ready to roll the dice how about you?

• Like 4

Nope, not me.  I have 2 cruises booked for Fall 2021, a transatlantic plus New England.  When I cancelled Baltic/transatlantic for this Fall, I cancelled 3 Med Spring 2021, too. 

I don't cruise often but involve long cruises, flights, so I want to wait.  I don't go to the Caribbean or on a short cruise, but I wouldn't be comfortable doing one even if I did.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, delliemd said:

I am ready to cruise again even though I'm a little apprehensive. Last Feb. I contracted influenza A on board Princess. I have cruised for 23 years & never been sick on a ship before & also never saw so many sick people. I was not aware of covid-19 at the time. However, life is short  & I'm ready to roll the dice how about you?

We were booked on an Hawaii cruise for last March that got cancelled. We rebooked the same cruise for this coming January, but decided to cancel in light of the situation with the pandemic still being out of control. So, now we've rebooked a new cruise for April 2022 and are hoping we don't have to cancel that one. We really want to get back to our favourite way to vacation, but not if we our risking our lives in the process.

No. The risk will be too high in Jan/Feb 2021. No way to separate on board, think elevators, and we don't believe the experience will be comfortable and enjoyable. We are booked for 2022, but even that trip is probably 50/50. 

• Like 1

No.  I am currently booked on the Enchanted Princess for January 9, 2021.  I am waiting for Princess to cancel it.  If that doesn’t happen, I will cancel before final payment is due.  I probably won’t cruise again until at least 2022.  Just too risky in my opinion.  

• Like 2

are any of the following ports open to cruise ships yet ?

Fort Lauderdale

St Thomas

St Martin

Princess Cay 

Amber Cove

Grand Turk

San Juan

do any of them even have a potential timeline for opening to cruise ships under any conditions as stringent as they may be ?

We have a 7 day R/T Mexico out of LA booked on the Royal Princess in late January 2021 followed by a 5 day R/T. If it goes we will be on it. If it gets cancelled I hope Princess continues their double deposit FCC policy as we have already made final payment. We also have a TA booked on the Sky in April, an Alaska cruise on the Royal in May and a Baltic on the Regal in September. All booked using FCCs we got from the six cruises that were cancelled this year.

• Like 2

Nope.  We’ll be carefully watching all of the “start up” cruises hoping they go well.   But, after 30+ cruises, we’ve pretty well determined it will be 2022 before we consider our next voyage.  Ironic, since just yesterday we finally had our COVID delayed Global Entry interviews and drove home wondering when we’ll actually use the status?

We recently changed a 14 day December 2020 cruise (on MSC) to a similar itinerary in Oct 2021.  Why?  We thought that the December cruise was possibly going to happen (with many onboard restrictions) but we did not think it was a reasonable risk (health wise) at this time.  I would have the same thoughts about a Jan 2021 cruise (not a good idea).  Beyond January we will take a wait and see (we do have a 30 day HAL cruise booked from April 2021).  

I want to be clear that we are extensive and frequent cruisers/travelers and generally in travel mode at least 6 months a year.  We think that cruise ships are probably the highest risk travel activity in this COVID era.  Although we love to cruise (and often spend over 100 days a year on ships) we do not have a high level of comfort that one can mitigate COVID risk on any mass market cruise ship.  This situation is not likely to change until their is a safe/effective vaccine.  That being said we do believe that land travel can be reasonably done since the traveler is in a better position to control their environment, social distancing, etc.  Accordingly, we will likely plan on some lengthy independent land trips for 2021 assuming that Europe again opens up to Americans.  This would involve flying to Europe (somewhat high risk) and probably renting apartments in a few of our favorite locations (such as Paris) for a few weeks.   For travel within Europe we would likely rely on rental/lease cars (we are very comfortable driving in Europe) which we view as much lower risk then train/bus travel.   Not being part of group tours (too crowded for my taste) gives us the flexibility to social distance and carefully choose our options as to what we do, where we eat, etc.

What happens with cruises?  Although we currently have 3 cruises booked in 2021 (30 day, 18 day and 14 day) we accept the likelihood that one or more of those cruises will be cancelled by the cruise lines.   The reality is that cruise tourism is a relatively small part of the tourist industry in Europe and Asia and there is bound to be some long term resistance (by ports) to allowing unfettered access to cruise ships and cruisers.   For popular tourist destinations it is more important (economically) to fill the hotels and restaurants then it is to fill the ports with primarily day trippers. 

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billco said:

We have a 7 day R/T Mexico out of LA booked on the Royal Princess in late January 2021 followed by a 5 day R/T. If it goes we will be on it. If it gets cancelled I hope Princess continues their double deposit FCC policy as we have already made final payment. We also have a TA booked on the Sky in April, an Alaska cruise on the Royal in May and a Baltic on the Regal in September. All booked using FCCs we got from the six cruises that were cancelled this year.

We'll be on the TA with you.  I'm hopeful about that one.  

• Like 1

Jan/Feb. too soon for me.  I have one booked for May.  Whether I go or not is still up in the air.  I'd like to see a month or so of cruising first.  See how the cruise line handles things first.   I couldn't see myself on the first cruise back in operation.