Over the door organizer

I thought I had read several years ago that Carnival had banned over the door organizer because it damages the door. So I purchased a smaller version which hangs on a hook or in the closet. I keep seeing over the door organizers on cruise websites as an must have item to bring on your cruise. So can you bring an over the door, or not? Thank you for your input.

For a while, there was a big thing about everything had to be fireproof.  That kind of died down.  I've never seen where anyone that brought one  had it confiscated.  

As far as them being a must have item, we've been on twelve cruises and never had a need for one.  Every ship we've been on had plenty storage available in the bathroom.  Like anything else, some will say they are must have while others say they brought them and never used them.  Only you can decide if you will need one.  

• Thanks 1

With 4 of us in a room - these come in handy for everything. I do use the over the door ones but we usually bring 3M Hooks and hang them from those in the bathroom.  Or sometimes the hooks in back of the bathroom door for towels/robes end up working also.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sanmarcosman said:

We've never had the need for one EXCEPT on ships of the Fantasy Class. The bath sink area has very limited shelf and counter space. We could have used one on the Inspiration and Imagination sailings. 

carnival-fantasy-carnival-78015.jpg

wow. that is a tiny sink. no counter space. yeeek.

Edited by stellarose
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, stellarose said:

wow. that is a tiny sink. no counter space. yeeek.

Just one of the many reasons I stopped booking Fantasy class ships more than a decade ago. Happy that Carnival is scrapping some of them. 

And while we never used a full size door organizer, we have used a cosmetic bag that unfolds with 3 or 4 pockets - believe it was a platinum/diamond gift?

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

This is so weird, I was notified by CC that I was quoted by stellarose.  Click on the notification and this quote comes up and it's sanmarcoman quote.  I'm not part of it at all.  Has this happened to anyone else?

It looks like stellarose edited their post, so perhaps there was a piece of quote from one of your posts in there originally.

We use the over-the-door hanging organizer when cruising, because we find it useful to hold shoes, sunscreen, bug spray, and other similar-sized stuff.  It is usually quite full, and we don't put our shampoo/conditioner in there.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

I thought I had read several years ago that Carnival had banned over the door organizer because it damages the door. So I purchased a smaller version which hangs on a hook or in the closet. I keep seeing over the door organizers on cruise websites as an must have item to bring on your cruise. So can you bring an over the door, or not? Thank you for your input.

I suspect that there may be some over the door organizers that have cheap hooks that could potentially scratch the door. To prevent this, wrap a little duct tape around the hooks to keep them from damaging the door. I've also read that some people will use wash cloths under the hooks to protect the door.😉

3 hours ago, silvercrikhix said:

Brought it once. Saw no need for it. There are 6 shelves in the bathroom and plenty of storage spaces in the cabin. 
If there was a way to bring more closet shelves & hanging space, I’d be all over that. It’s just adequate.  Sigh… 

I bring huggable hangers. They take up less space in the closet than the ones provided. And I use packing cube to be able to stack items on the shelves, yet still keep them organized. 

2 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

I suspect that there may be some over the door organizers that have cheap hooks that could potentially scratch the door. To prevent this, wrap a little duct tape around the hooks to keep them from damaging the door. I've also read that some people will use wash cloths under the hooks to protect the door.😉

Great idea. 

5 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

Good idea. 

I always travel with my over the door “shoe organizer “, it’s great for sunglass, sun screen, extra glasses, first aid kit, tablet charger cords....and so much more.

We purchased magnetic hooks (make sure they are strong enuf to have a good hold, with our first set the weight of everything just pulled the organizer down the wall)....it seems that stateroom walls are metal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have sailed 18 times on 7 different lines and we always take our over the door shoe hanger (generally we hang it facing into the cabin over the bathroom door)

We find it extremely useful for small, high use cruise items (sunscreen, swim goggles, bottle openers, cork screws, sunglasses, etc)

We have never had an issue with it on Carnival (out last sailing was Paradise in Feb 2020)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bowman1 said:

We have sailed 18 times on 7 different lines and we always take our over the door shoe hanger (generally we hang it facing into the cabin over the bathroom door)

We find it extremely useful for small, high use cruise items (sunscreen, swim goggles, bottle openers, cork screws, sunglasses, etc)

We have never had an issue with it on Carnival (out last sailing was Paradise in Feb 2020)

We also hang ours facing in towards cabin- so good for all those things mentioned!! 

• Like 1