Will vaccines now be required?

Diamond lover

Qantas Airlines has announced that in order to board one of their flights in the future, every passenger MUST have been vaccinated against Covid19.  Word in the air (hahaha as opposed to word on the street....I amuse myself) is that several airlines plan to follow suit.  This really makes the world of anti-vaxers much smaller.

Do you think Cruise lines will enforce this as well?  If you want on board, you have to show proof of vaccination?

1 minute ago, Diamond lover said:

Qantas Airlines has announced that in order to board one of their flights in the future, every passenger MUST have been vaccinated against Covid19.  Word in the air (hahaha as opposed to word on the street....I amuse myself) is that several airlines plan to follow suit.  This really makes the world of anti-vaxers much smaller.

Do you think Cruise lines will enforce this as well?  If you want on board, you have to show proof of vaccination?

I sure as heck hope so!

• Like 17

Works for me.  Wonder how the vaccine works, ie like flu shot  being good for a year or like some of the other shots that create lasting immunity with one or two shots.

Flu like shot might create some interesting issues of when did  you get it and how long before you would be required to get an updated shot or be denied boarding.

Edited by shipshape sam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, shipshape sam said:

Works for me.  Wonder how the vaccine works, ie like flu shot  being good for a year or like some of the other shots that create lasting immunity with one or two shots.

Sit tight for your answer.  Several good folks on here way more knowledgeable about this stuff.  We will be learning that answer soon.  I'll also be interested in what they have to say about requiring the shot in order to board.

13 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

Flu like shot might create some interesting issues of when did  you get it and how long before you would be required to get an updated shot or be denied boarding.

One would think that we would require a certification of vaccination (either printed or digital) which would include the dates of the inoculations. But at present there is still no data on the effective duration of the vaccine. It may only be a year. It may be longer. I think "they" say it takes about 2 weeks after the shot for immunity to take hold.

• Like 1

I hope all cruise lines adopt the no boarding if not vaccinated policy for the safety of all.  I do not want any anti-vaxers on my cruise possibly infected everyone.  Even with an available vaccine, I can see cruise lines still doing instant Covid testing before boarding at the departure ports.

I no longer see Covid in the same light after losing a good friend yesterday to the virus. My friend made the mistake of having  knee replacement surgery 2 weeks ago where he contracted the virus.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I hope all cruise lines adopt the no boarding if not vaccinated policy for the safety of all.  I do not want any anti-vaxers on my cruise possibly infected everyone.  Even with an available vaccine, I can see cruise lines still doing instant Covid testing before boarding at the departure ports.

I no longer see Covid in the same light after losing a good friend yesterday to the virus. My friend made the mistake of having  knee replacement surgery 2 weeks ago where he contracted the virus.

Terry I am very sorry for the loss of your friend.  I have also lost loved ones, including my beautiful Mum.  So Covid has been VERY “real” to me since day 1.

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, mom says said:

I think "they" say it takes about 2 weeks after the shot for immunity to take hold.

This is my understanding as well with the 2 finishing Phase 3 trials in the US.  About 2 weeks after the 2nd shot which I believe is 4 weeks after the first.

A question for anyone that has taken a Covid test.  Has anyone every received written confirmation of your results?  I only received a phone call.  I would think that all of the testing clinics are too busy to provide a written report so I could cruise within the next day or two after the results are back.

I would hope that proof of vaccination would be required. Even to the point of having to produce that documentation at time of final payment. I just don't think the port agents should have to deal with the anti vaxxer at the gate who demands their "rights" be respected. Of course the other people's "rights" to of safety and mitigation of risk really don't matter🤔

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Diamond lover said:

I have no doubt that cruise lines will make this mandatory, as they should. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

A question for anyone that has taken a Covid test.  Has anyone every received written confirmation of your results?  I only received a phone call.  I would think that all of the testing clinics are too busy to provide a written report so I could cruise within the next day or two after the results are back.

DW and I both received electronic responses (email) as well as access to a personal medical database showing results:

1624973302_ScreenShot2020-11-28at5_24_31PM.thumb.png.4d677aab4f9350f4d3da99e4dc2745c3.png

Additionally, it was announced yesterday that Air Canada has teamed up with Shoppers Drug Mart to provide passengers with rapid test results when flying to locations either requiring a negative test or having that as an option to being quarantined.  https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/air-canada-shoppers-drug-mart-offering-pre-flight-rapid-covid-19-tests-for-international-passengers-1.5207791

It remains to be seen if this program might be adapted to provide proof of a negative test before cruising.

Edited by Fouremco

31 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I would hope that proof of vaccination would be required. Even to the point of having to produce that documentation at time of final payment. I just don't think the port agents should have to deal with the anti vaxxer at the gate who demands their "rights" be respected. Of course the other people's "rights" to of safety and mitigation of risk really don't matter🤔

Yes, proof required at time of final payment, that would be perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shipshape sam said:

That’s the problem. No info on the vaccine except what has been shown.  Who knows the long term affects it might have, sides can be seen in the studies.  I’ll probably be required to take it for my job but the long term affects worry me more at this point.  Should it be required for air/cruise etc I think so overall but I want to see all the info on them before getting it.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I was tested through a local drive through about 2 months ago (work provides tests about every 2 weeks which are handled differently) and I received a phone call, but I asked if I could have written proof so they mailed me a document which came about a week later, my DW was tested about a month ago and they automatically mailed the results after the call.  DD just was tested Wednesday and she received an email this morning with the results in a document she could download.

So it seems they have stepped up as time has gone by to ensure people get documented proof of their results.

48 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

During the year ahead, for many potential passengers there's a good chance that they won't have had their vaccination by the time of final payment, although they will have received it by time of embarkation. Asking for proof that far ahead is a bit unreasonable IMO. Quite frankly, as long as it is made abundantly clear that proof of vaccination is a requirement, I really don't think that there are many/any anti-vaxxers who are going to show up at the pier demanding to be allowed to embark when they know it's not going to happen. Port agents had ready access to port security should it ever become necessary

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

During the year ahead, for many potential passengers there's a good chance that they won't have had their vaccination by the time of final payment, although they will have received it by time of embarkation. Asking for proof that far ahead is a bit unreasonable IMO. Quite frankly, as long as it is made abundantly clear that proof of vaccination is a requirement, I really don't think that there are many/any anti-vaxxers who are going to show up at the pier demanding to be allowed to embark when they know it's not going to happen. Port agents had ready access to port security should it ever become necessary

Agree.

- Joel

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

While you have a good point and I agree with your time line, I'm afraid I'm not sure I have your faith that the anti-vaxxers won't show up boarding pass in hand, demanding to be allowed to board. When you see news reports (complete with video) of a disabled store employee being beaten by someone for daring to ask them to follow a provincial health order and wear a mask, your faith that some people will grasp the rules is shaken to the core. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

We provide a printed report when it is required for travel.

Interestingly, and somewhat embarrassingly, we have to send samples to a particular reference lab for this purpose because our Covid tests don’t print out with the method (for some travel purposes, the report has to say the test was by PCR). Long term, I hope we move to proof of vaccination to travel because it will take a major computer change just to get that method on the report- no one has ever cared before!