Will vaccines now be required?

Diamond lover

2 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

And I am now officially depressed. I thought shots would bring me back to a normal cruising life. I will not cruise without the shots and I will not cruise in a facemask.

Yikes and well I am sorry about that, but please note I am NOT an expert, I will only follow their advice, as I have been for many many months.

18 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I would think at least one year after the vaccines are proven safe, and the numbers of Covid are WAY down, probably to no worse than flu numbers.

20 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I would think at least one year after the vaccines are proven safe, and the numbers of Covid are WAY down, probably to no worse than flu numbers.

Really?  Flu numbers in the US range from 15 to 60 MILLION cases a year! With a couple hundred thousand hospitalized.

Not hard to give an annual booster.  Can and will test for antibody levels.  Moderna phase 3 trial here is for 2 years.  By November we will know the future of COVID.  Definately vaccinations required for many places till then.

3 hours ago, RiotAct said:

That article definitely needs a much better proofreader...

"Shan Soe-Lin, Ph.D., a lecturer in global affairs at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut, and a trained epidemoioglost who predicted in April 2019 that mask-wearing would continue until at least the spring of 2020, said that she believes the trend will continue as a social norm even as vaccines begin to be distributed."

I think they mean 2020 and 2021 respectively.  But, hey, I won't call them trash or anything like that.  Mistakes happen after all.

:classic_wink:

• Like 1

OK lets go off topic again.

How many of you sanitize your hands after bringing in the mail?? We do after any delivery to our home.

I have a friend who brings shopping home from the grocery /supermarket and washes/rinses it in her bathtub!!

1 hour ago, emmas gran said:

How many of you sanitize your hands after bringing in the mail?? We do after any delivery to our home.

I have a friend who brings shopping home from the grocery /supermarket and washes/rinses it in her bathtub!!

Here's one that seemed extreme to me.  One of my doctors is over 70 and still enjoys playing tennis and only plays singles with one or two friends.  When they play, they play outside and each player only uses their own balls.  The balls are initialed and they only pick-up and serve with their own balls.  

• Like 1

I suspect we will be wearing masks inside for a long time and suspect cruising will require them for at least a year.  It will take a VERY long time to have the vaccine distributed worldwide, they won't take chances.  Wearing a mask is REALLY no big deal once you get used to it.  I wear one 9-10 hours a day, do I like it? No, but is it a big deal anymore? No. 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Wearing a mask is REALLY no big deal once you get used to it.  I wear one 9-10 hours a day, do I like it? No, but is it a big deal anymore? No. 

Having to wear them at work and being forced to wear them on a paid vacation are two entirely different things.  Maybe it's REALLY not a big deal to you, but a high percentage of people on cruise critic have said masks are a deal breaker for cruising.  And that is from cruise addicts at a cruise forum.  I do agree, it's likely cruises will be masked up for at least a year.  Question is does that mean from now, or from whenever they finally start sailing..... 😞  

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Having to wear them at work and being forced to wear them on a paid vacation are two entirely different things.  Maybe it's REALLY not a big deal to you, but a high percentage of people on cruise critic have said masks are a deal breaker for cruising.  And that is from cruise addicts at a cruise forum.  I do agree, it's likely cruises will be masked up for at least a year.  Question is does that mean from now, or from whenever they finally start sailing..... 😞  

I agree that it is 2 different things, but for me and my DH we would have no problem having to do that on a cruise.  I realize some don't agree, but if that is what it will take to sail again, then fine.  I won't have to wear one sitting on my balcony sipping a glass of wine watching the ocean, which for us is one of the best things about cruising.  

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

I am interested in my CC cohorts opinion on what will happen next. Does anyone know how the Cruise Lines will deal with the vaccine?

I believe that the current plan includes testing before you get on, limited interaction with people in the ports etc. Are they requiring people wear masks or just sanitize?

There have been lines that have required masks and limiting buffets and entertainment. 

So, if we have had our shots, and I mean both, what is the next plan? We will we still need to be tested and wear masks? I have always said I would not cruise with a mask. Does anyone have any info???

Keys Kathy.  I understand your concerns.  My dw and I will likely not cruise again until the necessity of wearing masks and social distancing on ships goes away (mostly).   But I am not as pessimistic as some folks on this.  Once there is widespread vaccine available and good acceptance by the population, I truly believe we will start to see a dramatic reduction in COVID hospitalizations and deaths.  Perhaps by mid-2021.  If you are vaccinated, you would still need to wear a mask for awhile anyway.  Why?  To see if the vaccine actually stops people from transmitting the vaccine to the non-vaccinated even if they are not themselves ill.  But that will be known soon enough as people get vaccinated.  My own opinion (but no strong evidence yet) is that these vaccines will stop or very much limit viral transmission.  That is the only real way the pandemic ends.  So if as many people as possible get vaccinated the necessity of masks and social distancing is in the rear view mirror.  The people who chose for whatever reason not to get vaccinated then are just putting themselves at risk.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, emmas gran said:

emmas gran way back in March/April I definitely took these precautions with mail, groceries and packages.  But the science now says otherwise.  The world has learned a lot about this virus since then. There is very little risk (not zero but very very low) in you getting the virus from these routes as it is mainly spread by respiratory droplets airborne and in particular in enclosed areas without much ventilation. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Once there is widespread vaccine available and good acceptance by the population

That's the " key " !!! 

Perhaps I am wrong, but, it seems that there are way too many people posting on CC and what we see on a major news ( ?? ) network , where masks and social distancing are not being observed and who will not take the vaccine .

We have FCCs that I doubt will be used---- What a pity, but, better to be safe .

9 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

That's the " key " !!! 

Perhaps I am wrong, but, it seems that there are way too many people posting on CC and what we see on a major news ( ?? ) network , where masks and social distancing are not being observed and who will not take the vaccine .

We have FCCs that I doubt will be used---- What a pity, but, better to be safe .

Let's see how it plays out.  I am thinking that there will be major campaigns and frequent communications to get as many people vaccinated as possible once these vaccines are widely available.  If the current surge in hospitalizations and deaths continues and peaks in the next 1-2 months post-holiday-season in the US and elsewhere,  that should hopefully convince a lot of reluctant people to get the vaccine.  But not everybody.  You can lead a horse to water.........

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, eaflorida said:

I am not interested in getting a vaccine.

That is your choice and most will not have any problem with that.  However,  do not complain when you will have to stay home and not be able to board a cruise ship or fly Internationally for the next few years because of your choice.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bouhunter said:

I wear a mask daily, although not for extended periods of time for the most part, so if wearing a mask was the only thing required of me to cruise again, I'd certainly do so.  As for the CC members who have said "never" over the past nine months, I wonder how many would still say that today. I also wonder how many would really turn down the opportunity to sail if wearing a mask was the only impediment.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I wear a mask daily, although not for extended periods of time for the most part, so if wearing a mask was the only thing required of me to cruise again, I'd certainly do so.  As for the CC members who have said "never" over the past nine months, I wonder how many would still say that today. I also wonder how many would really turn down the opportunity to sail if wearing a mask was the only impediment.

Although we’re certainly more used to wearing masks these days it’s still a big no for us. A cruise is two years savings for us, we’re not high earners so that money means a lot to us. If we had the ability to cruise multiple times a year as many on here do it would be different but it’s too expensive for us to cut down the experience.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

That is your choice and most will not have any problem with that.  However,  do not complain when you will have to stay home and not be able to board a cruise ship or fly Internationally for the next few years because of your choice.

I got into a heated discussion about that yesterday.  The other person feels that travel industry shouldn't be able to dictate that people can use their service if vaccinated or not.  My response was it's a private business, so they can make their rules and they need to also keep their employees safe.  That didn't go over well.

Mind you, this person is definitely very pro-mask, etc., but takes umbrage at that.  Personally, whether we can travel or not, I'll get the vaccine.  But if all of the travel industry requires people be vaccinated, I'm behind them 100%.  I'd prefer not to see people stuck in a foreign port on a ship while the virus runs unchecked again...

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, yorky said:

Although we’re certainly more used to wearing masks these days it’s still a big no for us. A cruise is two years savings for us, we’re not high earners so that money means a lot to us. If we had the ability to cruise multiple times a year as many on here do it would be different but it’s too expensive for us to cut down the experience.

I understand your feelings but just wonder why you think wearing a mask would impact you, or anyone who won't sail because of having to wear one.  From what I've read they would be required in public areas, but not when eating or drinking so I don't understand how it makes the cruise experience so much less.  I am asking sincerely, would really like to hear reasons for this so that I understand your concerns better. (and others also who have said the same)

• Like 3