What if we do not want Medallion Class on PCL ?

skidroe

On 12/5/2020 at 12:49 AM, skidroe said:

We are old cruisers, we do not have a "smart phone" for Medallion class.

We just want to open our cabin door and do not want PCL 'tracking us" wherever on the ship.

Time to cancel PCL cruises, as they are getting to obtrusive in our lives ? 

3 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Not accurate.  PCL has stated that will no longer issue RFID cards and everyone must carry the medallion for "contactless" purposes.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Now I have been advised to lock my medallion in the safe, but you say we will not get cards. So, how are we supposed to go anywhere or do anything?😢

This may answer your concerns.

Per the current Princess Web Site Medallion Class FAQ page:  

"Am I able to opt out or turn off this new technology?
Guests who do not want to take advantage of the full MedallionClass experience can exchange their Medallion for an RFID-enabled Cruise Card that gives them access to their stateroom and payments."

"What if I don’t have a smartphone or don’t want to use it?
A phone or mobile device is not necessary for MedallionClass experiences. Most digital features of the apps are also available from touchscreen portals found throughout the ship as well as on your stateroom tv."

See the whole Medallion Class FAQ page here:  

Princess MedallionClass™ - Frequently Asked Questions - Princess Cruises

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

This may answer your concerns.

Per the current Princess Web Site Medallion Class FAQ page:  

"Am I able to opt out or turn off this new technology?
Guests who do not want to take advantage of the full MedallionClass experience can exchange their Medallion for an RFID-enabled Cruise Card that gives them access to their stateroom and payments."

A phone or mobile device is not necessary for MedallionClass experiences. Most digital features of the apps are also available from touchscreen portals found throughout the ship as well as on your stateroom tv."

See the whole Medallion Class FAQ page here:  

Princess MedallionClass™ - Frequently Asked Questions - Princess Cruises

and exactly when was the latest update to those ???

yeah, that's what I thought - way pre-Coronas 🍻

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

and exactly when was the latest update to those ???

yeah, that's what I thought - way pre-Coronas 🍻

I'm just reporting what the current information is that Princess is giving to the public.  I tried to find where Princess has said that use of the Medallion is mandatory and that they will no longer offer the RFID cards.  I couldn't find that particular statement.  

I did read where  they said "Touchless experiences are available on all Princess MedallionClass™ ships. " but that isn't the same thing as saying they will no longer issue the cards.  I would be surprised if Princess were to mandate that everyone use only the Medallion as they were already cautioning people with implanted electric medical devices about the dangers the Medallion could present.

• Like 1

lets face it.   There is no real answer yet.  It's all assumptions.    We will all just have to wait till cruise lines start up again.   I'm sure there is going to be a lot of changes made to the cruise line questions and answers section.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, waltd said:

lets face it.   There is no real answer yet.  It's all assumptions.    We will all just have to wait till cruise lines start up again.   I'm sure there is going to be a lot of changes made to the cruise line questions and answers section.   

Stop making sense.  After all there are numerous "experts" posting here that are in the know on all things covid cruising.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I'm just reporting what the current information is that Princess is giving to the public.  I tried to find where Princess has said that use of the Medallion is mandatory and that they will no longer offer the RFID cards.  I couldn't find that particular statement.  

Is an OceanMedallion safe to use if I have a pacemaker, or other medical device?
The OceanMedallion includes magnets and RF technology that have been designed and manufactured to meet the radio frequency (RF) requirements set by the Federal Communications Commission of the United States. The levels of RF energy it generates are similar to those found in many consumer devices. Manufacturers of Implantable Pacemaker and Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators (ICDs) typically recommend that you keep your medical device 9 inches (23 cm) away from RF transmitters comparable to the one found inside the OceanMedallion. However, as every device differs, so you should check directly with the manufacturer of your medical device and physician for guidance.

Am I able to opt out or turn off this new technology?
Guests who do not want to take advantage of the full MedallionClass experience can exchange their Medallion for an RFID-enabled Cruise Card that gives them access to their stateroom and payments.

16 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I can think of at least two instances when a medallion locator would have been helpful.  Watching for pier runners?   Not sure how a Medallion would help with this. Anyone off this ship cannot be monitored via a Medallion.

All those announcements asking for so and so to contact the front desk when waiting to leave port...  One time I was on a Celebrity ship, doing a B2B. ....  They were still looking for the last person.  ... A lot of angst and inconvenience could have been avoided if medallion tech. had been in use.   And if the person actually had it in her possession and not inside an envelope that blocks access as some on this thread has suggested.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

And if the person actually had it in her possession and not inside an envelope that blocks access as some on this thread has suggested.

There's a lot of talk here.

I'm not sure it's all followed through on...

And, I'm certain some isn't ... like the folks who post I will never...

And then, later, post about doing the thing they disclaimed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Daniel A said:

We were on a medallion ship, Crown, just before the shutdown. I don't remember any access through the cabin TV. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough, or maybe this is a new feature post pandemic. 

We do not own smart phones, do not see point in getting one since we only cruise once a year now.  So happy to hear we don't need one.  The only feature I like mentioned is being able to sign up for a specific time period to show up at the port to board.  So guess we will just do what we have always done go early and wait.   Don't plan to cruise til 1/2022, so will just have to wait and see how it all goes for those cruising sooner.  

8 minutes ago, pris993 said:

We do not own smart phones, do not see point in getting one since we only cruise once a year now.  So happy to hear we don't need one.  The only feature I like mentioned is being able to sign up for a specific time period to show up at the port to board.  So guess we will just do what we have always done go early and wait.   Don't plan to cruise til 1/2022, so will just have to wait and see how it all goes for those cruising sooner.  

You might not be permitted to enter the terminal if they are still limiting indoor capacities then.

On 12/6/2020 at 2:00 AM, caribill said:

If you lose your Medallion and report it, they can immediately locate it.

When making a purchase , your photo should appear on the cashier's screen. In most cases it should be obvious that the user of a lost card is not the owner.

Whether its the card or the Medallion that photo you had taken within the first few steps of boarding the ship is attached to your account. 

10 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

Whether its the card or the Medallion that photo you had taken within the first few steps of boarding the ship is attached to your account. 

with the Medallion app, you can take your own 'security photo' and upload it, along with your passport, etc ... Princess 'accepted' my photo, but my wife had to have hers retaken by them ... don't remember why

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greenie082756 said:

True, but before the Medallion technology existed your photo was not shown to the staff when you made a purchase.

9 hours ago, pris993 said:

Just guessing here....since nobody knows yet...but "maybe" they will put the option of selecting a boarding time on the internet? I guess I think they should do that for those like you that don't have a smart phone.....now whether they will or not....always the question....

OR....maybe you will be able to call Princess and they will be able to set you up with a time?

Just thinking out loud....what they should do...so you might want to try following up on that when the time comes? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Daniel A said:

You might not be permitted to enter the terminal if they are still limiting indoor capacities then.

Thanks, could be, actually since I go out of San Francisco, traffic is so bad, probably would simply go and wait.  On our last cruise out of SF in Feb the ship was delayed, we waiting 5 hours to get in, but still better than trying to rush hour traffic.   

9 hours ago, tgwabd11 said:

The only thing that I did not like about the medallions, was that when ever you passed one of the screens on the stairs or public areas, you name and picture would pop up on the screen..

I believe you can eliminate that feature from appearing on any screen either with your cell phone or asking them at the PSD.

12 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Just guessing here....since nobody knows yet...but "maybe" they will put the option of selecting a boarding time on the internet? I guess I think they should do that for those like you that don't have a smart phone

If they end up assigning strict arrival/boarding times I could see selecting your boarding time during the check-in in the cruise personalizer.  In the rare case where one doesn't have internet access and goes through a travel agent, I would imagine the travel agent would contact you to get your assigned time.