The Daily for Monday Dec 7, 2020

richwmn

31 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

image.thumb.png.885a55ede41e35efe5fe44cda11763fe.png

image.thumb.png.37de943f4f4927adaca944d4f5cc1a5d.png

Interesting that you showed the mooring pad for the USS Vestal (AR-4).  She was a repair ship moored next to the USS Arizona when they were both bombed on 7 December.  The Arizona's magazine exploded and blew the Vestal Commanding Officer and many crew into the water.  He swam back to the ship and took over command as the officer in charge ordered "abandon ship".  He countermanded the order, even though the ship was taking on water, and managed to save the ship by grounding it.  For this he was awarded the Medal of Honor.  The Vestal was commissioned in 1909 and decommissioned in 1946.  This is also interesting to me as my last ship was also a repair ship, the USS Hector (AR-7).  She was built during WW2, and I served on her during the Vietnam War.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Interesting that you showed the mooring pad for the USS Vestal (AR-4).  She was a repair ship moored next to the USS Arizona when they were both bombed on 7 December.  The Arizona's magazine exploded and blew the Vestal Commanding Officer and many crew into the water.  He swam back to the ship and took over command as the officer in charge ordered "abandon ship".  He countermanded the order, even though the ship was taking on water, and managed to save the ship by grounding it.  For this he was awarded the Medal of Honor.  The Vestal was commissioned in 1909 and decommissioned in 1946.  This is also interesting to me as my last ship was also a repair ship, the USS Hector (AR-7).  She was built during WW2, and I served on her during the Vietnam War.

I wonder what if any the connection was.  My alma mater (Binghamton University) was located in Vestal, NY.

Roy

12 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

USN59-79

Thank you so much for the history of The USS Vestal!  I ALSO APPRECIATE YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY!

Denise😊

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

A hero and another example of the Greatest Generation!

NH 50272 USS Vestal (AR-4)

USS Vestal AR-4

• Like 8

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

For someone who doesn't post here very often you certainly make the best use of the times you do post.

Roy

Thanks Roy.  Although I do not post very often I certainly appreciate all the effort everyone puts in to make this the best of all the CC boards.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon all!  Late to the party today, I slept in a bit trying to make up for "one of those nights" of insomnia.  Then off to get my hair cut -- every time California locks down we seem to follow suit, so this time I wanted to have freshly cut hair!  😂  Last time we shut down for several months right when I needed a hair cut -- not good! 😉   Then I raked up the last (YAY) of the leaves for the year, so glad to see leaf-less trees in the woods behind us!

The Peppermintinis sound really yummy, but I have to agree with @Himself, it would put me in a diabetic coma!  The Pinot Grigio sounds great too.  Will pass on the cotton candy, even as a child I didn't like it.

@rafinmdgood luck with your labs today!  

@1ANGELCATI'm still waiting for my first Neptune Suite.  It was to be our (cancelled) Australia/NZ cruise last April.  Now we have one booked for the Med next fall, keeping fingers crossed!

@Seasick SailorI think I'll follow your lead and have steak, salad and baked potato tonight.  Sounds good. 🙂 

@cruzn singlebest of luck today with your surgery.

• Like 10

Thanks, everyone, for well wishes.  Wasn't too bad, and he only had to do the surgery once, and felt he got it at that point.  All of our health care personnel are heroes in so many ways.

I loved the story of Canadians helping Americans yet again!  Always reminds me of such great compassion as was exhibited on 09/11/2001.  Thanks to our neighbors

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

Anyone on here have any idea why NS and Westerdam are heading to North America when they have Spring European cruises?  

I agree with Copper but my suspicion is that there may be renovations done to the ships to meet CDC requirement and/or inspections.

And they may well do some 7 day Caribbean itineraries before they start Europe?

I am sticking with my planning for November 2021.  Hopeful that the virus will be mostly contained by vaccines by then 🤞 🙏🏻 

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Thanks, everyone, for well wishes.  Wasn't too bad, and he only had to do the surgery once, and felt he got it at that point.  All of our health care personnel are heroes in so many ways.

I loved the story of Canadians helping Americans yet again!  Always reminds me of such great compassion as was exhibited on 09/11/2001.  Thanks to our neighbors

Great news!! Only having the first MOHS and not having to repeat is a wonderful sign! They were able to remove all borders first time and not having to go back again! Very happy for you Cruze single.

Denise😊

• Like 5

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

My son sent me a great sunset photo tonight from his Clearwater Beach rented condo.  He's been taking photos from the balcony every night.  I thought tonight's was pretty special with the rays of light so striking.  Here it is.  enhance

OMGOSH!! Beautiful!! The rays from the sun is gorgeous! I would paint this one 👍

Thank you for a smile !!

Denise😊

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I love snowy owls! They are so beautiful. 

Gosh, I would love to be on a cruise with you and hear your story.

Speaking from experience, Ann & Pat are a real joy to cruise with.

They were on our roll call on the Westerdam until it was cancelled.  We were so excited to see them again after missing them in Vancouver when our Japan cruise wasn’t a go.

Sadly, they chose another ship and itinerary than we did but we know they will have a fabulous time.  They always do 😄 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, kazu said:

Speaking from experience, Ann & Pat are a real joy to cruise with.

They were on our roll call on the Westerdam until it was cancelled.  We were so excited to see them again after missing them in Vancouver when our Japan cruise wasn’t a go.

Sadly, they chose another ship and itinerary than we did but we know they will have a fabulous time.  They always do 😄 

Awww!  🙂  we certainly hope to see you again, on a cruise, or here!

Just had the news we continue to be somewhat locked down until midnight on January 8. So one more month...

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks to Rich and Roy for their contributions this morning,

His son is my youngest (and last, I guess) grandchild, so here is his stocking.  I think it's quite a home-y Christmas scene.  That child was so precocious as a toddler!  He loved dinosaurs and at barely 3 years old proclaimed he was going to be a paleontologist when he grew up.  I believe he's grown out of dinosaurs now but could be anything he put his mind to, I'm sure!  enhance

Thanks for sharing photos of your exquisite work, I hope that the stockings will become family heirlooms.

• Like 4

Just a quick pop-in to say I'm still alive and well. DS is selling his house so he, our daughter-in-law and 2 yo grandson, and Bernese Mountain dog have moved in during the showing week. It's busy, and exhausting.

My sister's entire family has COVID now, although my niece (the nurse) is considered "cleared" as of midnight tonight. My sister and her husband are coughing and in pain, as well as having NO energy whatsoever. My nephew seems to be asymptomatic. We've been dropping off groceries and essentials, and there is a big support system from friends and family. Off to bed. 

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask! 😷

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

My son sent me a great sunset photo tonight from his Clearwater Beach rented condo.  He's been taking photos from the balcony every night.  I thought tonight's was pretty special with the rays of light so striking.  Here it is.  enhance

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

My sister's entire family has COVID now, although my niece (the nurse) is considered "cleared" as of midnight tonight. My sister and her husband are coughing and in pain, as well as having NO energy whatsoever. My nephew seems to be asymptomatic. We've been dropping off groceries and essentials, and there is a big support system from friends and family. Off to bed. 

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask! 😷

I'm so sorry to read this.  May their recovery be swift.  

• Like 1