The Daily for Sunday Jan 3, 2021

richwmn

today is Feast of the Epiphany - Three Kings, Festival of Sleep Day, and J.R.R. Tolkien Day

"If we were meant to fly, we wouldn't keep losing our luggage."

Meal suggestion for today - Acorn Squash

Drink of the Day - Ski Lift

Wine of the day - Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape vintage 2015

At Sea Atlantic
Eurodam destination Southampton eta 1/6
Oosterdam destination Southampton eta 1/5

Stirrup Cay Anchoragec
Nieuw Statendan

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam off San Diego
Nieuw Amsterdam off San Diego
Noordam destination Los Angeles eta 1/1
Westerdam off San Diego
Zuiderdam off San Diego

Torquay
Volendam
Zaandam

0103Europe.png

0103USA.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  Wishing everyone who observes it a great Epiphany, a salute to the 3 Kings, and sleep for those still behind in it.  I'll pass on J R Tolkien.   So true on the quote but I'll pass on the Acorn Squash.  My alternative is Lebanese Lamb Shank and Baked Alaska, my final dinner on MS Ryndam.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Larry King hospitalized with Covid-19

St. Louis Sal’s and Cruising-along’s friends

mamaofami’s SIL

HAL (and other crews)

65gator grieving for his cat

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Rich and Roy. 

I am always intrigued by the wine. Looking forward to the description of this one.

I feel like I have been getting too much sleep already. 

Maybe I will cook instead.

I am waiting until after this week to celebrate New Years. 

It is mask washing day in our house.  

Wishing an extra safe day to everyone.

Debbie

• Like 13

The regular celebration and shoutout list is on vacation today.  Instead, I looked back at Rich’s very first Fleet Report, done April 28, 2019.   It was one page with 14 replies

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2660577-fleet-report-for-may-5-2019/

I was in Praia da Vitoria that day on the Newuw Statendam.  At the time I didn’t know it would be my last HAL cruise for at least 2 years.

Hats off to the faithful charter members:

@richwmn
@puppycanducruise
@Krazy Kruizers (Still with us in spirit)
@DeeniEncinitas
@Rowsby 
@Cruising-along

2 more post occasionally now

@travelnap
@dobiemom

And also:

@woodworker&knitter  last posted 12/20/19
 @frankc98376 posted August 29
@retiretwo (no subsequent Fleet posts found)
@POA1  posted May 31
@joekerstef (posted 5/3/19)
@Skoogs  (posted 5/3/19)
@slimknyzer (no subsequent Fleet posts found)

Not on the first Fleet Report but very soon thereafter @erewhon@Himselfand @Vict0riann

Finally, hats off to @kazuwho filled in for Rich for a while when I presume Rich was off on a cruise,

And to the predecessors who I remember as originators of the Fleet Report @luvtwotrvl   and @Trvlcrazy  I did sail with them on the Ryndam 5 years ago.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Never read the Hobbit, will take any and all sleep I can, and celebration of the Epiphany and Three Kings.

Love the quote, lost mine several times.  The meal is great will have to see if our grocery has any Acorn Squash.  Prayers, shout outs, and celebrations to all of us.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  Going to register for the vaccine tomorrow.

Ski Lift Cocktail:

1 Part DeKuyper® Peachtree®

1/2 Part Cruzan® Rum

5 Parts Hot Chocolate

COMBINE INGREDIENTS
Fill mug with hot chocolate and add ingredients

GARNISH
Garnish with marshmallows or whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 7.22.36 AM.png

• Like 16

With all our flying we've been lucky with our luggage, I'll pass on the meal suggestion, getting too much sleep and since the ski hills are all closed I'll take the drink.

• Like 12

Thank you for today’s Daily. I am a bit sad that you put a space between the maps today. I so enjoyed trying to figure out What the Heck! with yesterday’s. 

Roy, thank you for the Care list & the fun look back at the Fleet report. 

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! We have a red wine today. I will choose to focus on Tolkien Day. A huge fan of his writing. Summer, I might try today’s drink, when Winter returns.  I hope I don’t jinx myself, but I have never lost my luggage. It did take an earlier flight once, so I had to go to the luggage claim office, but it wasn’t lost.
I have no clue what is for supper tonight. But I am proud of the way I am digging out the stuff in my bottom freezer drawer. I might be able to start filling it again soon!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all of the original followers & everyone else who is celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This Rhône red has outstanding ratings and a matching price tag starting at $95. But it sounds amazing. So if your budget permits - this might be a great celebratory wine! 
#14 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017

WS98 Wine Spectator This offers a drop-dead gorgeous core of cassis and raspberry pâte de fruit flavors that holds center stage but still allows notes of Lapsang souchong tea, anise, incense and shiso leaf to chime in. Very long, with a sublime feel through the mineral-tinged finish. So seductive already, but this will cruise in the cellar. Drink now through 2040.

• Like 18

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I am a bit sad that you put a space between the maps today. I so enjoyed trying to figure out What the Heck! with yesterday’s. 

I guess I slipped yesterday. I usually try to make sure a space is between the images.

• Like 9

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

We happily celebrate the Feast of Epiphany & the 3 Kings but for us (and the Gregorian calendar), Epiphany is the 12th day after Christmas - January 6th.

87B6FE99-5C05-4AA8-89D3-51F7911231AE.jpeg.00a6593319330fafc44530028aabd31d.jpeg

I never heard of it celebrated on the 3rd before!  🙋  We take down our Christmas decorations on Epiphany Eve or day.

A good night’s sleep is always a blessing so we’ll join in on the Festival of Sleep & love Tolkien. 🙂 

LOL on the quote although fortunately it’s only happened once and we were able to get our luggage retrieved from the plane it had been wrongly loaded on while we were connecting. 

Love squash.  Not sure what we will have with it yet but squash with a bit of apple mixed in is scrumptious.

Not sure what to make about the drink of the day - thanks summer for the description.

They said we were getting a snow storm yesterday but I think they were wrong as we got a lot more snow than what they were calling for.  This is in the afternoon when Marley went out for a quick piece of business.  He was out less than 2 minutes and covered in snow flakes.

F82F4F0A-1E49-4C4D-A856-2319E9DE2985.thumb.jpeg.3a04b0dc048e1302ffaa47b6872fc51d.jpeg

I’ll have to take my yardstick and measure when I go back out with the dogs but it is a lot - over a foot for sure - past Marley’s knees (and he is a tall dog) and way up on my tall boots!

We kept our power thankfully but I best check the other side of the street and make sure they have theirs.  If they don’t I’ll get them some coffees:

D402A8D7-CA89-4700-A506-DFA93D3D8EFA.jpeg.4395a7d5b1c0687b4aa643871ef00440.jpeg

Well, it’s winter and we live in Canada, so here we are used to snow and cope pretty well.  Whenever the weather gets us down we just remind ourselves:

9E350C35-DACC-4AAA-A6F2-23F8689092F7.jpeg.d4302a0b3c0df9c34b02dcf8b6c3c5dd.jpeg

(Just a small correction to the cartoon - we DO get hurricanes and major tropical storms & cyclones here on the East Coast- just not as often (thankfully) as states such as Florida, Louisiana and other southern states.)

Prayers to everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them.  Love your look back in history, Roy 🙂

Have a great Sunday everyone!  Stay safe & off the roads if they are slippery and please, don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 28

Good morning!  JRR Tolkien,  one of my favorite authors.  I have probably read the Trilogy twenty times.  

I have an acorn squash on hand so maybe I should eat it today.  Will that bring me luck like black eyed peas on New Year’s Day?

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, kazu said:

We happily celebrate the Feast of Epiphany & the 3 Kings but for us (and the Gregorian calendar), Epiphany is the 12th day after Christmas - January 6th.

Like other things, I get the list of observances from a website. Here is what that site has to say:

When is the Feast of the Epiphany? January 6...... if it falls on a Sunday, In the U.S. and most other countries, it is celebrated on Sunday, January 6; or the Sunday that falls between January 2 - 8. Traditionalists celebrate it on the 6th.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Like other things, I get the list of observances from a website. Here is what that site has to say:

When is the Feast of the Epiphany? January 6...... if it falls on a Sunday, In the U.S. and most other countries, it is celebrated on Sunday, January 6; or the Sunday that falls between January 2 - 8. Traditionalists celebrate it on the 6th.

Sorry about the original poor choice of colors. When I tried to post and look at it, CC was offline and I wasn't even sure it posted.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I guess I'm a traditionalist (or maybe just a Catholic), because for us Epiphany was always January 6th.  However, I can be swayed . . . LOL

We had the occasion to have our luggage travel without us on our very first Mediterranean cruise - we boarded the Prinsendam in Athens, and our luggage didn't reach us until the 3rd day when we were in Istanbul.  At that time we were cruising newbies and our carry-ons only contained a few magazines, some make-up (for moi), and blow-up pillows.  (*cringe*)   I was never so happy to see my suitcases as when we returned from our shore excursion and discovered them waiting on the pier for us.  I literally went over and kissed each piece!

The menu suggestions - hmm, neither of us appreciates acorn squash, so will pass on that, and although I love lamb, DH isn't a fan, so will have to dive head first into the "ice cave" to see what I can pull out for dinner tonight.  I know there's frozen Russian borscht in there, and it's the kind of day for making buns, so I'm pretty sure that's going to be our dinner this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll raise our wine glasses tonight to toast all who make this daily thread a great place to visit!  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 17

Louis Grizzard checking in for a flight.

attendant: Good Morning Mr Grizzard, I see you are flying to Chicago today.
Louis: Yes and I would like this suitcase to go to Miami and that one to San Diego
attendant: but sir, we can't do that.
Louis: Y'all did it last week.

(Louis was a well known southern humorist)

• Like 13
  • Haha 11

Good morning again. I was in the midst of writing when CC crashed.

Thank you Rich, Roy, and the drink ladies 🤭 

A beautiful day today. Going for a ride later and hoping to pick up some oysters for lunch. Jacqui I do not miss the north Idaho snow storms! Those pictures you posted reminds me why we now live in Texas. 

I love acorn squash with butter and brown sugar. I put it on my market list. Maybe make a little tenderloin roast today.

As for luggage.. "make travel easier" aka luggage direct picked up our bags in San Diego and were supposed to get it to the Oosterdam the next day for our 6 week cruise. We were having lunch with my sister and niece when they called to say they couldn't check our bags in the port and we had to come down to check our bags. We never had that happen before. Maybe because it was the 1st week in March and had something to do with covid? Anyway we were kicked off the ship after only 1 week due to covid.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Sunday. Sending you all blessings and kindness.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Like others, I am trying to get back on a more normal sleep schedule with work starting again tomorrow...  I've never been a morning person, unfortunately.

I love Tolkien. In honor of his day I'll share two (somewhat travel-related) quotes of which I am very fond:

“It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

• Like 17

@cat shepardI do love red wines, but today's is a little (no, a lot) out of my price range for a daily sipper, but before you posted, I decided to google it and came up with this, which really made me chuckle:
If there is French wine that everyone deserves to taste, it’s probably Châteauneuf-du-Pape. It’s like the gateway drug to French wine.

We had a Chateauneuf-du-Pape as our wedding wine (for the bridal party only), but I'm not sure of the vintage.  I do recall even in the mid-70's that it was quite a splurge.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 13

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Thanks.  Interesting.  We’ve always celebrated it on the 6th.  Hadn’t heard of celebrating it on the Sunday 3 days early before.  Appreciate you explaining and hope I didn’t cause offence by being confused.  🤞 

• Like 5