Technical Stop Only requested in Canada 2/25/21

Ombud

49 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

but like all things, it must come to an end, and I will be retiring this year, so I will no longer have any dog in the fight.

Chief, like others I admire your knowledge and expertise in this area.  Hopefully, even though you'd be "out of the business", you'll continue to keep abreast of things, and keep informing others the "why's" about things sailing.  Most especially the why there's a PVSA in the first place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Of course I am, and I have posted many, many times about Carnival Corps failure at corporate culture change to embrace environmental compliance.  I have worked with two companies that were caught in environmental violations (NCL was one) or that self-reported violations, and were placed on probation as Carnival Corp has been.  In both of those cases, it was the international flag fleet that caused the problems, but in both of those cases, the corporation did a 180 degree about face to embrace fully environmental compliance, and the other company had their compliance policy adopted by the DOJ as the "gold standard" and the requirement for all subsequent probations.  Much of what Carnival Corp is doing now is based on what we did a couple decades ago.  The problem is that Carnival Corp still "doesn't get it", and has not figured out that environmental compliance is going to be cheaper than the alternative.

I last sailed on a cruise ship in 2008, but I have friends still in the industry.  The maritime world is a small one.

Congrats on your retirement.  I had two uncles who were merchant seaman.  One was a captain and the other was a boilerman.  I know it is a tough job;  but one you love;  and only those who have sailed the seas can relate to your job.  All the best with your retirement.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2021 at 12:47 PM, Ombud said:

This is great, BUT, if  the CDC doesn't allow the cruise lines to start sailing again,  it's not going to mean a dang thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I will be retiring this year, so I will no longer have any dog in the fight.

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement.  I have enjoyed your insights on several topics over the years and wish you well in whatever you decide to do going forward.  I just hope you will still come back here to comment from time to time.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

While I have no real issue with revising the "US built" clause of the PVSA, I have a whole lot of heartache with allowing foreign crew and foreign ships into the domestic market. 

12 hours ago, voljeep said:

please expound on this why this would explicitly bother you to that extreme ...

I am not chengkp75, but it would also bother me.

All these ferries and ships (other than big cruise ships) that are on the USA rivers and go between the USA and Canada are American flagged and have American crews. Eliminate that requirement from the PVSA and all those American jobs will go away.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Many here claim to be experts.  Several of my acquaintances have posted as experts, although they only have their own opinions, not supported by reality.  Perhaps the chief is real.  lots of opinion here.

“PERHAPS the chief is real”?  Are you kidding?  Wow, just shaking my head.  Chief is probably the only “real” expert on Cruise Critic.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

“PERHAPS the chief is real”?  Are you kidding?  Wow, just shaking my head.  Chief is probably the only “real” expert on Cruise Critic.

so you and the chief know each other outside of CC ?

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

so you and the chief know each other outside of CC ?

Why would you ask this question and why would it be any of your business?  Just because I value and respect the man’s opinions and contributions to these boards, does not mean I know him......I wish I could meet him one day on a cruiseship so I could buy him a cocktail or two.  There are many people in this world that I respect, but have not met.  Where were you going with this, anyway?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Why would you ask this question and why would it be any of your business?  Just because I value and respect the man’s opinions and contributions to these boards, does not mean I know him......I wish I could meet him one day on a cruiseship so I could buy him a cocktail or two.  There are many people in this world that I respect, but have not met.  Where were you going with this, anyway?

it is my opinion, and my opinion only ... that it takes an 'expert' in any field to be able to recognize another 'expert' in the same field

I don't take the word 'expert' lightly like some others may

and 'experts' often disagree with each other ... believe me, I am well aware of that

my 'expert' versus your 'expert' at trial ...

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, voljeep said:

it is my opinion, and my opinion only ... that it takes an 'expert' in any field to be able to recognize another 'expert' in the same field

I recognize and respect the expertise of brain surgeons,  astrophysicists,  astronauts, professors and even Chief Engineers on ships and I am no expert in any of these fields.  You do not have to be an expert to appreciate the knowledge of other people.  I am officially done with this conversation.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Well one of the few would probably be more accurate.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I will be retiring this year, so I will no longer have any dog in the fight.  I have supported cruise lines when I felt they were getting unfairly criticized here on CC, and I have also chastised those same cruise lines when I felt they had failed in their duty.

Not sure where you live in Maine, but I'll bet MMA would love to have you as a professor if you were so inclined...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

View from my office window this morning, after the morning Texas fog has burned off.  Sorry, don't know how to rotate it.

0301211046_resized.jpg

The issue with sideways pictures occurred during a not too long ago "update".  This usually happens on photos that are taken on phones.  The fix is to go to the photo in your files and make a minor edit (I usually remove a row of pixels), and save it in the correct configuration.  Then it will post correctly.

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Many here claim to be experts. 

X: The Unknown

Spurt: A Drip Under Pressure

Expert: An unknown drip under pressure

Edit: This was in no way pointed at the chief. I was just pointing out that so many of the "expert" opinions seem to come from folks who have no freaking expertise at all.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

View from my office window this morning, after the morning Texas fog has burned off.  Sorry, don't know how to rotate it.

0301211046_resized.jpg

Nice view...

I take it is some sort of tanker.

Enjoy your upcoming retirement.

23 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Just google cruise passenger volume at (whatever port).  Those figures are all 2019, and they represent passenger embarkations, not port calls. San Diego ranks below San Francisco, but not by much, about 250,000 if I remember.

So, since you feel that the "Passenger Vessel Services Act of 18 flipping 86", as I believe you styled it needs revision, please let us know how and what parts need revision.  Or, is it just, it affects my vacation, it needs to change?

A slight correction. The figure for San Francisco includes embarkations and port calls to San Francisco.

From sfport.com/cruises :

"The Port of San Francisco hosts over 80 cruise ship calls and 300,000 passengers annually at the James R. Herman (Pier 27) and Pier 35 cruise terminals. Itineraries include round trip cruises from San Francisco to Alaska, Hawaii, and Mexico, as well as repositioning calls and coastal voyages in the spring and fall."

On 3/1/2021 at 9:57 AM, Thrak said:

X: The Unknown

Spurt: A Drip Under Pressure

Expert: An unknown drip under pressure

Edit: This was in no way pointed at the chief. I was just pointing out that so many of the "expert" opinions seem to come from folks who have no freaking expertise at all.

My point exactly.

On 2/28/2021 at 1:16 PM, scottca075 said:

Congress can amend that to "passenger vessels" by a certain capacity or tonnage.

Let's call the act by its real name, The Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886. Grover Cleveland signed it into law. May I be so bold as to suggest it could use some modernization?

The Speaker of the House, a Californian it happens, can make whatever they choose to happen, happen. She happens to represent one of the largest passenger ports in the state and country.

She can attempt to make it happen but all it will take is one Democrat senator to say NO and nothing will happen with it. Many Senators are now seeing what they can get by their NO vote.

Chief, let me add my congrats on your upcoming retirement and also add that I hope you will continue to share your experience and wisdom on CC when you join those of us who already inhabit the "everyday is Saturday" world. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Potstech said:

She can attempt to make it happen but all it will take is one Democrat senator to say NO and nothing will happen with it. Many Senators are now seeing what they can get by their NO vote.

They'll attach a minimum wage provision and a few pork items for good measure.  LOL.

• Like 1