Refundable or non-refundable deposit? Which one have you chosen for your next cruise, and why?

I'm about to pull the trigger and book B2B Med cruises for May 2022.  They can't be booked under CWC given the current sail-by date of 4/30/22.  Refundable deposits would cost me about $430 more, total.  I'm trying to decide if it's worth paying the extra $ for refundable deposits, to avoid losing $400 (two cruises x 2 people) if I booked non-refundable and had to cancel. Is it a no-brainer to book only refundable right now? I realize there are no crystal balls and who knows what next May will look like.  I'd really just like to hear what type of deposit you chose, and why.  Thanks much!

Book refundable, next year before final payment if the cruise is a go and you still want to go then change it to non-refunadable, chances probably pretty good prices will be lower then what you are paying now.

Plus, who knows what cruising will even be like a year from now.......you might not even like the way the "NEW"  Normal cruises will be.

For my Wife and I right now ANYTHING  we are booking moving forward is definitely REFUNDABLE.

Edited by Jimbo

21 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Book refundable, next year before final payment if the cruise is a go and you still want to go then change it to non-refunadable, chances probably pretty good prices will be lower then what you are paying now.

Or in my experience the prices for a non refundable will be higher than what the refundable rate is today and they eon5 be able to reprice. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

36 minutes ago, mdepsmom said:

I'm about to pull the trigger and book B2B Med cruises for May 2022.  They can't be booked under CWC given the current sail-by date of 4/30/22.  Refundable deposits would cost me about $430 more, total.  I'm trying to decide if it's worth paying the extra $ for refundable deposits, to avoid losing $400 (two cruises x 2 people) if I booked non-refundable and had to cancel. Is it a no-brainer to book only refundable right now? I realize there are no crystal balls and who knows what next May will look like.  I'd really just like to hear what type of deposit you chose, and why.  Thanks much!

Always refundable except when they were covered under CWC.  Easy if you have a TA with group rates as those are refundable and nearly always cheaper than Royals non refundable rates. 

• Like 3

Fully refundable for our booking. We didn't want anymore FCC and we wanted the availability to cancel if maks were required and shore excursions were exclusive to RCL only. We don't know if we'd cancel for these two reasons, but at least we have that available to us if we decide to cancel.

46 minutes ago, mdepsmom said:

Ooops that's just book by date, extended so far. But wouldn't surprise me if sail by date extended.

Edited by firefly333

3 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I never see this option.  There is just a deposit.  I am likely missing something.  Does this apply to all bookings?  I'm usually in a suite.

Full Suites do not have a refundable option. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I currently have three cruises booked with RCI - all non-refundable.  

Unfortunately, as an example, the booking I have in December (out of Brisbane - Queensland only cruise) was $5,000 more to make it refundable - obviously can't justify that.

I don't know about other Aussie's experiences here on CC but it doesn't seem to be as common as it is in the US/UK to use a TA - I haven't used one in over a decade after a couple of bad experiences with them.

As with most people I try to make any travel arrangements refundable where possible, obviously even more so after the unexpected experiences we've had over the last year, but at the price point I mentioned above it is just not feasible in that case.

My next booking is the TP from Hon - Syd in September which I don't think will happen (certainly not with passengers at any rate).   Qantas doesn't think it will happen as they've just cancelled my flight last week so I have no way of getting there now anyway.

The rest of my family are booked to go on a fishing charter next September so will probably look at L&S that one if it is an option, waiting for those itineraries to be released, next week I believe.

Most future ones are Suites, so non-refundable. I have a couple refundables only because the differential is very small. I have a low threshold in order to get refundable. If I’m booking, I’m going. 

• Like 1

It will probably be a long time before I book cruises in advance.  Once cruising resumes I will have to make sure they are still something I'm interested in and even if they are I will probably book after final payment, so refundable/non refundable won't matter.

6 minutes ago, mek said:

Once cruising resumes I will have to make sure they are still something I'm interested in and even if they are I will probably book after final payment, so refundable/non refundable won't matter.

That would have been a good strategy even before the pandemic. 

I have always booked a refundable deposit and will continue to do so in the future. If the cruise lines stop offering a refundable deposit I won't book anything until after final payment when I know for sure that the trip is a go. I can't predict the future on a good day. Who knows what's going to happen now.  I also book refundable for car rentals and hotels. Airlines are a different story because I know I will need to fly at some point so I'm not put off by taking a credit.